Which Game Changed a Genre for You? (Plat Cast Topic)

Bushido7745785

Hey folks! 

@ChernobylNinja and I run a podcast titled, "Plat Cast", where we often ask you questions and read your answers on our show! 

This week's question has been provided by one of our Patreon supporters, Stefan! You can join them and tons of other folks, and get tons of cool perks on our Patreon for as little as $1 a month over at:

https://www.patreon.com/PlatCast

So, our community question this week is, "What game changed an entire genre of games for you?". We're asking you all to share games that changed how you view an entire genre of games, or perhaps turned you on/off to a genre of games. 

Let us know in the comments below, and be sure to join our discord for good PlayStation goofs at: https://t.co/ayqM2pr6eq

Thanks gang! Looking forward to your answers as always! 

• Like 2

Whaaaay niceeee one, thanks guys for choosing it :D 

Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare

The game revolutionised the shooter genre like Goldeneye did before it. It took everything that was great about the traditional FPS game and gave us "Load Outs" fully customisable weapons and perks.  Along with an array of weapon attachments and tight competitive gameplay that just left you wanting more.

The story well was just fantastic especially for 2007 where all these aspects made it such a game-changer since most if not all games we have had in the shooter genre since then has utilised these features that was cemented by Infinity Ward's Call of Duty 4

Hollow Knight finally made me understand why is it that people would like Metroidvanias. I never really liked the concept since it usually involved a lot of backtracking in some games. I got instantly turned off when i first played a Castlevania way back when (can't even remember which one it was). Having experienced Hollow Knight, which turned out to be not just great but one of my favorite games ever, i feel more open and ready to play others games like it.

Other games i dont't really care much about are FPSs and Horror. Although i have really enjoyed something like Borderlands 2, i still can't really see the appeal of having that style of camera and movement. Heres hoping CyberPunk 2077 can finally give me some maybe much needed insight. Horror games (or any midia with that theme, really) are something i always stayed away from when i was young, so i never really got into it. Though i am curious to go back and play some of the old Resident Evils or even the new ones, i think i am just gonna leave that in the "maybe someday" for now.

Journey. The game changed how I viewed small gaming companies and how indie games can be absolutely amazing. I used to never look at indie games and focused more on AAA games until I played this game. Now, I look towards the indie games so I can support small teams who make amazing games.

I still need to pick up a few more Indies that are definitely on my radar. I would have never had these on my radar without Journey.

I know I'm lumping indies as one genre, but I think this fits the topic well.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

Persona 4 golden had confirmed my previous bias towards the JRPG genre. In my gut I felt that these games weren’t for me but since my recent purchase of a ps vita I had to give it a try. While I am enjoying the story of golden very much I really can’t stand the dungeon, grinding, leveling up loop. It’s just not my thing and is the worst part of the game for me, although it is very satisfying defeating the bosses but the grind is too much for me. So after Golden I’ll probably avoid this genre from here on out. 

Definitely Dark Souls. I started playing Skyrim and Dark Souls at the same time. I could never go back to Skyrim after playing Dark Souls. 

Souls combat system is imitated by a lot of new rpg games, even assassin's creed has souls like combat.

It showed that we dont need to be handheld and pointed in the right direction by big green arrows. It shows that there is big audience for difficult games, for challenge, for the opportunity to learn adapt and overcome. 

And on top of that it has world that is interesting, great atmosphere, interesting lore and doesn't lock you into half an hour unskipable cutscenes. 

Furi and Devil May Cry 1. I used to just be all about JRPGs, turn-based or not. I saw Furi and liked the artstyle and the samples of music I heard so I got the physical edition that Limited Run did. Finally wound up playing it about a year ago and was thinking I was gonna do just the "normal" Furi difficulty. I had such a blast and was doing really well despite the only other hack-n-slash I tried before was Bayonetta and El Shaddai and I wasn't having fun nor was I good at them. As well, played NieR: Automata but only for the story and Yoko Taro, the gameplay was easy and casual friendly on normal difficulty but it's still my 3rd most favorite game ever. I decided I to try the Furier difficulty just to see how far I could get and I surprised myself when I got the platinum. Around the time DMC5 got announced and I wanted something to reenact the fun and rush of plating Furi gave me so I got the DMC HD collection. Playing through DMC 1 on hard and DMD was what brought back the feeling Furi gave. I wound up plating DMC 1-3, just started 4 this Monday, and can't wait to play 5. Went back and platinumed El Shaddai as well and even bought Bloodborne (never thought I'd play a Soulsborne game) and platinumed it as well. Have Metal Gear Rising, Hyper Light Drifter, and the Dark Souls trilogy in my backlog waiting to be attempted (started Hyper Light Drifter but I put it on the back burner due to I dunno). Honestly never thought I'd get into action games and believed I'd be a JRPG baby forever and am surprised at myself at how much I've accomplished with zero background in the genre. I've also started preferring Action-JRPGs to turn-based ones and will one day I'll go back and replay NieR: Automata on hard.

I used to hate racing games, but Burnout Revenge changed my mind. You still race, but you can crash the other cars and cause chaos. I am still not a big fan of straight up racing games (Forza, Grant Turismo, etc) but enjoy Need for Speed and other racing games that have other modes that mix it up.

Honorable mention: Hated sports games, love Hotshots Golf, Blitz, and NBA Jam.