Obligatory reaction to trophies and game in general

SINISTER-SINS_

Open pre-order for physical copy at both Special Reserve and Limited Run Games (both also have a Switch version).

https://specialreservegames.com/collections/the-messenger/products/the-messenger-preorder-ps4

https://limitedrungames.com/products/the-messenger-ps4-preorder?variant=13893203099701

As for the game itself I'm just not interested. I'm just tired out by all these indie 2D platformers. It's been one of my least favorite genres since the Mario days. I'll try Celeste, Hollow Knight, Bloodstained, Salt & Sanctuary, Shovel Knight, and Bomb Chicken eventually but that's about it. Haven't even played a Metroid or Castlevania game. Will get the SotN/RoB collection eventually but I have no interest in 2D Metroid. That being said, I've tried Typoman, Unraveled, Dokuro, and Trine 1 + 2 and didn't really like any of them. I bought Momodora for some reason but who knows if I'll ever play it. I don't know if we count stuff as Muramasa, Odin Sphere, or iCEY as 2D platformers since it's mainly hack-n-slash with barely any platforming. There's a couple others I can't recall that I own/will own and will want to play but they aren't a top priority.

Back to The Messenger... a time traveling ninja games looks appealing but I just don't care like I said previously.

• Like 2

I heard all the praise, but it's still much better than I was expecting. Already one of the more enjoyable metroidvanias I've played, although it's more on the platformer side. Glad there are at least two stacks for it.

Trophy list seems easy and straight-forward, but there are these missable trophies:

No Argument Here

I Swear It's My First Time

Probably Fine, I Won't Open It, Bait Taken and You Said This Was A Platformer

I'm at 5-6 hours playtime and I think I'm probably at least 70% done

• Like 3

Game is fun, I’m about 50% through. The no argument here trophy won’t be as bad as it sounds as those sections aren’t that tough. A 2nd run through after knowing the bosses should make easy work of it. The hidden collectibles  might be tricky until there is a guide. Think I’m at 6 total found so far. But not really searching that hard. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, atticuslake said:

Game is fun, I’m about 50% through. The no argument here trophy won’t be as bad as it sounds as those sections aren’t that tough. A 2nd run through after knowing the bosses should make easy work of it. The hidden collectibles  might be tricky until there is a guide. Think I’m at 6 total found so far. But not really searching that hard. 

You can see all Power Seals locations on the map if you buy "Focused Power Sense"  upgrade. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

I heard all the praise, but it's still much better than I was expecting. Already one of the more enjoyable metroidvanias I've played, although it's more on the platformer side. Glad there are at least two stacks for it.

Trophy list seems easy and straight-forward, but there are these missable trophies:

No Argument Here

I Swear It's My First Time

Probably Fine, I Won't Open It, Bait Taken and You Said This Was A Platformer

I'm at 5-6 hours playtime and I think I'm probably at least 70% done

Thanks for the feedback, how much is the game btw so I know how bad the hit will be later when I download?

Here you guys go for one of the hardest trophies. Used this guide and got it no problem. Simple but extremely fun Platinum. Loving the game so much and I pre ordered physical for Switch. 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1499437415

Also for no argument here the game only saves at checkpoints so the second you die close application, or use cloud saves to be safe.

Edited by aZombieDictator
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

This game is not as easy as the trophy rarities suggest.

Some of the seals are quite tricky and if you're average you're going to die A LOT going for this platinum.

That being said, this is one of those games that you basically have to have a specified interest for. Indie Retro Metroidvanias... not exactly something a whole lot of people are interested in. Then again anything that pops up on Steam prior to being ported to PS4 is going to have a lot more activity on the platform it first released on anyway.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd like to share my thoughts on the game from a perspective of someone who didn't have any experience with platformers prior to starting, and if anyone is in the same boat thinking of starting the game, I'd say go for it but make sure you set your expectations correctly: The Messenger is not an easy game and some sections frankly took more from me that I'd have expected.

The base game and platinum shouldn't be too problematic, you will have to retry a few Power Seals challenges multiple times but save points are usually close by so there's not much backtracking. Where the game gets more difficult is in the DLC. Some of the collectibles there frankly left me wondering if it's even possible to get them without some previous experience with platformers or exceptional hand-eye coordination. Don't go into the DLC expecting success on your first or even twentieth attempt, I ended up repeating some screens more than fifty times before I managed to move forward, and that was only normal progress, not optional content. My total death count was over 1,200 by the end.

The last level of the DLC has two collectibles which took me the longest to get and left me cursing profusely. I'll put a video link for the one which will most likely decide your 100% in the spoiler tag below. Bear in mind that unless you're very lucky, you'll be repeating the first 8 seconds dozens if not hundreds of times:

Spoiler

Overall, I agree with the prevailing opinion here: The Messenger is a great game, getting the platinum takes dedication and skill, and I was proud of myself to be able to finish it. Though I will take a break for platformers for some time now, I came to respect the genre and found it a refreshing change to the style of games I normally play.

• 1 month later...

It took me a while to get comfortable with Cloudstepping, but other than a select few collectible locations (particularly that darn mask piece in the DLC), every screen in the game felt fair and doable. Checkpoints are pretty generous, too, so you rarely have to redo stuff. I had lot more trouble with Guacamelee 2.

Possibly the best game I've played this year, and it ranks right up there with Hollow Knight and Blasphemous as far as Metroidvanias are concerned.