Struggling to get into PC gaming

supertrunksman

So last week I built a new PC to hopefully start shifting into PC gaming.

I'm having an issue getting into it.  Game-wise, it's hard for me to really play something on PC as it seems like anything I can get on PC is already on PS4.  I actually prefer to play my FPS games with a controller as well, so that kind of hurts my PC potential.  I'm also having issues switching to KB+Mouse.

Anyone able to make some recommendations on games that are exclusive to PC (or just not available on PS4) that might be able to help pull me over to the PC world?  You can check out my profile to see what types of games I typically play.

• Like 2

I play PC and consoles and I get you: there are many PC shooters I play with a game pad (one exception is f.ex. Quake Champions) and there's no shame in that, I even regularly own people online even though I play with a Xbox One game pad. The whole "mouse KB is sooooo much better" is blown out of proportions and only really matters in very, very competitive environments.

And yes, many PC games are also available on console and if your friends are on console and you like the ecosystem more it's hard to switch to PC because the only upside seems to be better graphics.... depending on your rig.

Also, if you have an office job like me, sometimes you just don't wanna sit in front of a PC when you're home. This can be helped though by connecting the PC to a TV and using Steam Big Picture Mode.

What is awesome about PC though is backwards compatibility back to the dark ages of gaming haha :) So a PC is a good way to catch up on old classics. Also, PC has some good exclusives and some genres, that are very much tailored to PC mice, like many strategy titles or point & click adventures.
And there a lot of great CPRGs! Maybe try getting into some of those? But I think many of them are on PS4 as well nowadays...

You could try some of the games that are Xbox exklusive in the console space... most of them are on PC as well. Gears of War, Forza etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Copanele said:

Monster Hunter : World, Sekiro(that comes up next), Witcher 3, perhaps even AC Oddysey.

More on the action spectrum, DMC5 looks fantastic on PC

MH:W I finished on ps4, couldn't see myself playing it again.

I actually prefer Turn based RPGs, but I know they are a dying breed and the ones that exist these days typically aren't very graphics intensive.

49 minutes ago, supertrunksman said:

I did build a VERY high end PC.  

Are there any good RPGs recommended?  Maybe something that could really take advantage of my PC's power?

w8xOXam.gif

I recommend game like MMORPGS,

My all time favorite is Final Fantasy XIV and Black Desert Online, if your PC is overkill should def check those out for fun, especially BDO.

When Im on PC I lose so much hours just doing so many things I end up usually playing less than I was sitting at a console and can onnly play games.

If you love multitasking PC really is awesome. Also if you enjoy playing mobile games you can do that too on PC!! Mobile games look great on PC ;)

Heres a site I visit reg for PC stuffs.

https://www.mmorpg.com

Just curious, if it seems like most of the games you're interested in are on PS4 and you prefer playing with a controller... why did you build a gaming PC?

I'm sure there are plenty of interesting PC exclusive games out there (especially if you don't mind going back 10-20 years), but I've been away from the platform a little too long.  Most of the gems over there end up on console sooner or later.

Edited by Dreakon13

2 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Just curious, if it seems like most of the games you're interested in are on PS4 and you prefer playing with a controller... why did you build a gaming PC?

I'm sure there are plenty of interesting PC exclusive games out there, but I've been away from the platform a little too long.  Most of the gems over there end up on console sooner or later.

I'm open to playing games with a mouse/KB, but i prefer a controller for my FPS games.

I had always heard that PC has a lot more selection than consoles and I'm thinking that was probably an overstatement, or just a statement more geared towards legacy games.

1 hour ago, supertrunksman said:

I had always heard that PC has a lot more selection than consoles and I'm thinking that was probably an overstatement, or just a statement more geared towards legacy games.

I think legacy is a big part of it, basically built in backwards compatibility... outside of the possibility of operating system and hardware incompatibility over time which services like GOG.com are helping to address.  If you don't mind playing older games, you've hit the jackpot. ;)

Otherwise I've found the platform really mostly useful for three "genres" ... strategy games, MMO's and indie games.  Strategy games for sure, for obvious keyboard and mouse reasons.  MMO's have started finding their way onto console but PC is still typically the ideal way to play them (because they often end up being too complex to fit onto a gamepad) and the biggies like World of Warcraft will probably never be on console.  Indies will always be a commodity on PC since it's the platform the games are built on and it's the easiest to distribute on... that being said, prepare to wade through A LOT of crap to find the gems if you go too deep down that rabbit hole.  If anyone thinks PSN is bad as far as shovelware goes, they look like diamonds in the rough compared to the murky depths of Steam.

• Like 3

XCOM2 is a good place to start with PC gaming, if you prefer turn-based stuff. Casual MMOs as well, like TERA, and Path of Exile, both very good games to take full advantage of KBM, or controller. 

You should also look at sim games, from the likes of - Frostpunk, Cities Skylines, Planet Coaster. The stuff I'm recommending aren't heavily based on KBM, but just enough, so that you feel comfortable using it. From the likes of RPGs, I tend to 50/50 with Controller and KBM. Divinity Original Sin (both games) is also one I'd recommend, as the controls allow for more versatility, and not feel limited to the UI.

• Like 1

RPG recommendations...

Try:

Pathfinder

Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2

Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2

Torment

Tyranny

maybe some older stuff like

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (Enhanced Editions)

Planescape Torment (Enhanced Edition)

Witcher 1 & 2

Vampire the Masquerade
Star Wars KOTOR 1 & 2

Dragon Age: Origins

If you like Action RPGs

Diablo 1, 2, 3

Grim Dawn

Path of Exile (it's free and very, very good!)
Torchlight 1 & 2

Some of are also available on console but if you haven't played them yet, the PC is a good place to do so :) Especially during Steam Sales because then you can pick up some of these games for very little money.

Of course there is also the whole Elder Scrolls Series, Fallout series, Mass Effect etc. and MMOs like Guild Wars 2 (highly recommended by me!), FF14, WoW, BDO...

Outside of RPGs, some of my favourite All-Time PC Games are:

Blade Runner

several Command & Conquer titles

The Civilization Series

Magic the Gathering: Arena (free to play)

The Anno series (new one coming out very soon)
The Tropico series (Tropico 6 coming out this month!)
Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2

The original GTA

Age of Empires
Hexen II
and many more

here you can see my Steam games and order the list by playtime, which should show you what I play the most

https://steamcommunity.com/id/sicho84/games/?tab=all

Generally, on PC, I nowadays prefer building games and strategy games, RPGs and card games. The list should make that very clear haha :) The rest I mostly play on console, but there are exceptions.

Some games I do think deserve mentions are Total War: Warhammer 1 & 2, Crusader Kings 2 (hardcore game, you probably need to watch several hours of YouTube Tutorials to get into it), Spelunky, The Binding of Isaac and Planet Coaster.

Also, some free games I highly recommend trying out are the aforementioned Path of Exile, Guild Wars 2 (main game is free nowadays) and Magic the Gathering Arena but I'd also recommend Hearthstone, Gwent, World of Tanks / Warships / Warplanes, League of Legends, Apex and the original Starcraft.

You see, I could go on and on with recommendations. :D There are millions of PC games out there. Good places to look for games are generally Steam and GOG - GOG especially for older titles.

Just go crazy! :D

Edited by Sicho
  • Like 4

Keyboard and mouse isn't optimal for everything anyway, you'll definitely want to keep a controller or two ready especially for console ports.

For me, I've always played on PC, yet I'm not sure what this "PC gaming" is supposed to be. I certainly don't relate with people playing their MMOs and esports. What I play are: VNs, fantransated games, fan-games and legacy gaming. However I don't really like doing this, because a lot of time I have to tamper with files, system settings etc. Sometimes I just want to play a game...

• Like 1

btw this weekend, among other games, Cities Skylines can be played for free on Steam. It's a good way to try a game out :)

I know it's also on PS4 but its one of those games that's really better with a mouse :) So OP should give it a try.

Edited by Sicho

You like turn based RPGs? On PC, you should probably check out the Legend of Heroes games. Trails of Cold Steel specifically. And if you love them, you can go backwards because there's an ass ton of games.

It does release on PS4 Tuesday though. So it isn't really a requirement on PC. Can't think of any PC exclusives that are worth while if you aren't into strategy games or MMOs.

• 2 weeks later...

PC gaming isn't for everyone. I went and built a PC because so many people told me it's the best way to play games and what not so I gave in.

About 6 months later a got a PS3 and Vita then never touched the PC again and sold it. I had more fun and enjoyment on those consoles than I ever would with PC.

If you're struggling to enjoy or get into a certain kind of gaming, don't force yourself, it seems like you enjoy console gaming more so stick with what you like. Trying to force yourself to like it will only make it worse.

• Like 3

One thing a top end PC can do that a PS4 can't do quite so well is VR. Better headsets and graphical fidelity. Don't get me wrong, I love PSVR and Astro Bot is the best game of the generation, but there are limitations to the older tech.

Of course there are also the mods on PC than can breath new life into older games, but I'm not one to play a game for too long myself.

I hear what you're saying about playing with a keyboard though, I don't think I'd ever play a competitive online game on PC; firstly because they bore me, but also because I find keyboard controls clunky and used to have so many bad experiences with hackers. If you want to do online competitive gaming stick to the largely more even playing field of console, with a closed ecosystem and the control system you prefer.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

20 hours ago, aZombieDictator said:

PC gaming isn't for everyone. I went and built a PC because so many people told me it's the best way to play games and what not so I gave in.

About 6 months later a got a PS3 and Vita then never touched the PC again and sold it. I had more fun and enjoyment on those consoles than I ever would with PC.

If you're struggling to enjoy or get into a certain kind of gaming, don't force yourself, it seems like you enjoy console gaming more so stick with what you like. Trying to force yourself to like it will only make it worse.

yeah, doubt i could handle a PC myself, let alone building one. i like things as simple to be as they can, like consoles. hell, been using computers to laptops over half my life and understand very little about them and don't even want to give myself the headache.

after this laptop is done i think i am just switching to tablets and that sort of thing. trying to get myself use to a tablet i got for christmas, because i went through hell for about a week last month trying to figure out why my laptop kept getting blue screens, eventually found out it was from a recent windows 8.1 update, after i removed that particular update things have been fine again, but i imagine i will run into more issues due to not knowing what to and what not to update. so not updating at all is the only thing i can do for now. :c

3 hours ago, RJP_X said:

yeah, doubt i could handle a PC myself, let alone building one. i like things as simple to be as they can, like consoles. hell, been using computers to laptops over half my life and understand very little about them and don't even want to give myself the headache.

after this laptop is done i think i am just switching to tablets and that sort of thing. trying to get myself use to a tablet i got for christmas, because i went through hell for about a week last month trying to figure out why my laptop kept getting blue screens, eventually found out it was from a recent windows 8.1 update, after i removed that particular update things have been fine again, but i imagine i will run into more issues due to not knowing what to and what not to update. so not updating at all is the only thing i can do for now. :c

Yeah the parts, programs, files, updates, store fronts, keyboard/mouse, etc... is just way too much for me too. I like keeping it simple with console.

I haven't even owned a computer for years at this point. I do everything on my phone