Struggling to get into PC gaming

supertrunksman

I tend to play most of my games on PC nowadays, but I still love and appreciate consoles like the PS4 very much. I understand the awkward feeling of transitioning, though.

Games off the top of my head I would personally recommend:

- Divinity Original Sin 2 if you want a slower paced, super immersive RPG experience. One of my favourite PC games for sure.

- Terraria is a game both on PS4 and PC, but I recommend checking it out on PC if possible, since it's the best "minecraft-esq" game on Steam, in my opinion.

- Final Fantasy XIV is another game on PS4 and PC, but it was intended for PC useage. I love this MMO with all my heart, and it definitely helped me get better at micromanagement, reaction time, and juggling lots of combat rotations. All around great experience!

- Ori and the Blind Forest is a really nice and cozy, beautiful 2D adventure game. Very pleasant experience with that game.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 2:37 PM, supertrunksman said:

I had always heard that PC has a lot more selection than consoles and I'm thinking that was probably an overstatement, or just a statement more geared towards legacy games.

That was only true 10 years ago, around the time the ps3 launched.  Nowadays not so much. 

Your PC selection varies between indie games and many mmo games, and the standard AAA you will find on console.

Edited by DARKB1KE

• 3 weeks later...

I can relate to this topic as i built a nice PC and couldn't switch to it for a while, only thing it got used for was FF14 which i initially played on PS4 for years. However... there are titles that I absolutely loved the experience such as Witcher 3 and AC Odyssey, and in my opinion if you have a game that you absolutely love and have invested many hours in, it is worth the experience on PC. I have over 200 hours on Odyssey on PS4 and Ubisoft sent me a free PC copy of the game for being part of the Google beta and now i'm 70 hours in and sadly, I will probably not go back to the PS4 version even to finish the trophies. The fps jump alone is incredible in that game. I know fps isn't the "be all end all" but some experiences are just undeniable.

Edited by Altergigo

Crysis is good on PC. Sure it's been ported to PS3 & 360 but the console versions are pared way down, especially with a reduced draw distance. At first, Crytek wasn't going to even bother attempting it on those systems. Crysis & Crysis: Warhead (a PC exclusive with Psycho as the player character) are available on GOG & have gamepad support. You can get unofficial HQ texture packs for them.

Why PC gaming is better.....because of mods!!! and fk u to censorships! GTAV never been more violent...

nv9DxIb.gif

PC has a lot to offer but it is true that sometimes its a hassle.

You can play older games in graphical quality that wasn't imaginable on consoles at the time, some of my favorites Deus Ex, Max Payne 1-2-3, Mafia, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, the Hitman games, especially Blood Money. If you want to play an older game always check google for mods that improve graphics.

Then you have access to user content. Fallout New California  for example was released not long ago. I occasionally play Thief 1&2 fan missions which are still being actively made and for the last 20+ years, hundreds and hundreds of missions and campaigns, some of them far exceed the quality of the originals (because game developers have restricted time while fans have all the time in the world).

Unique game like Commandos (1998) highly recommended.

Turn based Heroes of Might & Magic (2&3 my favorites) that you can sink hundreds and thousands of hours into.

• Like 1

On 21/3/2019 at 2:12 PM, supertrunksman said:

So last week I built a new PC to hopefully start shifting into PC gaming.

I'm having an issue getting into it.  Game-wise, it's hard for me to really play something on PC as it seems like anything I can get on PC is already on PS4.  I actually prefer to play my FPS games with a controller as well, so that kind of hurts my PC potential.  I'm also having issues switching to KB+Mouse.

Anyone able to make some recommendations on games that are exclusive to PC (or just not available on PS4) that might be able to help pull me over to the PC world?  You can check out my profile to see what types of games I typically play.

Dude, you need to play some classic old-school (mostly) PC exclusive games then! Here are a few suggestions:

-Sacred (Diablo-clone that surpasses Diablo IMO)

-Sanitarium (Great, but often overlooked point-and-click game)

-Warlords Battlecry 2 / Tzar (Fun RTS if you want something other than Age of Empires or maybe Emperor)

-Freedom Force / Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich (imagine Dragon Age but a few years earlier and with wacky superheroes fighting nazis and communists)

-F.E.A.R. / Bulletstorm (pretty sure they aren't PC exclusive but damn they're fine shooters)

-Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magik Obscura (I'm just gonna say that in this one you can convince the main villain to commit suicide, pretty fun. If it works)

-TES III: Morrowind (just... N'WAH)

-POSTAL 2 (Pure catharsis)

If any of this doesn't do it for you, maybe you can do that fun thing were your pc becomes any gaming platform you want and maybe try some region locked stuff that's never go see a western release, you might find some gems you never imagined!

• Like 1

Just got to take it slowly, especially if one is used to console. PC isnt all about gaming, gotta take in everything. Get used to the freedom, but most time you might end up not playing a game but making a game :D better thru modding or just the way you like to play it. Oh the beauty of it all!!!

Spoiler

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Now this is what I call value. Microsoft offers Xbox Game Pass for PC for just 1 € / month for the first month and 3.99 € for the following months. You have unlimited access to a growing library of games. Maybe that will help you get into PC gaming more. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/xbox-game-pass-on-pc-will-cost-dollar5pound4-a-month/

This has me intrigued.  Question is, will these games be moddable?  Not sure if it's actually a game installation on the PC or if it's just streaming the games over the interwebz

20 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Now this is what I call value. Microsoft offers Xbox Game Pass for PC for just 1 € / month for the first month and 3.99 € for the following months. You have unlimited access to a growing library of games. Maybe that will help you get into PC gaming more. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/xbox-game-pass-on-pc-will-cost-dollar5pound4-a-month/

Off topic: I extended my Xbox Live Gold another year with a cheaper online code yesterday to Nov. 2020 ... and I got a bonus month for doing that.  Then did the $1 deal for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and it converted the entirety of my Gold subscription to Game Pass Ultimate.  And added yet another month.  So basically got Game Pass Ultimate (which includes Game Pass for Xbox and PC and the Xbox Live Gold) til Jan 2021 for $1. xD

Gonna be a great platform for trying/finishing games before I wait around and buy superior physical copies of the good ones on sale for the collection. ;)

18 minutes ago, supertrunksman said:

This has me intrigued.  Question is, will these games be moddable?  Not sure if it's actually a game installation on the PC or if it's just streaming the games over the interwebz

I'd assume you have to download the games through the Windows 10 Store... which I haven't really been following, but is most likely pretty locked down.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, supertrunksman said:

I'd guess it's possible to use mods. 

You actually download and install the games normally and they can be played offline (with exception of online multiplayer games). Apparently there's a check every 30 days that you still have rights to the game you've installed. You can install the Xbox Beta app and easily access all the Game Pass games via that or apparently you can get them from Microsoft Store (but they aren't quite as easy to browse that way). We installed the Xbox app and a couple of games so far. 

Played Wandersong last night with a PS4 controller. Had the game crash and loop at first when plugging in the controller and had to reinstall the game (thanks to autosave) but after that it worked without a hitch. Windows natively detected PS4 controller as an audio output device too, so needed to disable sounds from the controller to have normal audio output from speakers.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:24 AM, Eyjabria said:

I'd guess it's possible to use mods. 

You actually download and install the games normally and they can be played offline (with exception of online multiplayer games). Apparently there's a check every 30 days that you still have rights to the game you've installed. You can install the Xbox Beta app and easily access all the Game Pass games via that or apparently you can get them from Microsoft Store (but they aren't quite as easy to browse that way). We installed the Xbox app and a couple of games so far.

I dunno if it's so much a matter of whether it requires you to be online or how often it phones home.  But rather if the Xbox Beta app or the Windows Store downloads game files in a way that actually makes them accessible like Steam or a more open ecosystem would... or if they're tucked away behind the scenes, maybe encrypted and/or archived.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I tend to have the same problem. Especially if I enjoy the game and think "Hmm, I could be getting trophies for this game". Which is  shame because I was always a PC gamer first since I was like 5 and had a PlayStation for exclusives and then during the PS3 age to play with my friends online and then eventually I found myself playing on my PS4 more than anything. 

I have got back into gaming on my PC in recent times. My GTX 980 is still more than enough to get 60+ FPS in games and KB+Mouse is superior in every way (for most games) once you get used to it. I found to just enjoy the game the I am playing more than anything. Get back to when I was a kid and played games for fun, I don't care about KDR anymore on PC or getting all the Steam achievements. I like modding games and seeing all the crazy things the community comes up. I like just getting on with my buddies and having a good time. Also, Game Pass for PC is on trial for $1 for one month right now and there are some pretty good games in there if you haven't tried any of the Xbox/MS exclusives. 

I have also been playing Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, it's an absolute blast. It's also really cheap on Steam. Speaking of Steam, there summer sale should be coming up and you will be able to get some awesome games for dirt cheap.

Feel free to add me on Steam WarDevil69

On 3/21/2019 at 7:17 PM, supertrunksman said:

MH:W I finished on ps4, couldn't see myself playing it again.

I actually prefer Turn based RPGs, but I know they are a dying breed and the ones that exist these days typically aren't very graphics intensive.

A very good turn based rpg coming soon to pc which was a switch exclusive is Octopath path of the travelers. From what I've seen that is a really fun game with multiple characters and storylines

4 hours ago, Mcbeanstr said:

A very good turn based rpg coming soon to pc which was a switch exclusive is Octopath path of the travelers. From what I've seen that is a really fun game with multiple characters and storylines

This really is a great game, good call Mcbeanstr.

• Like 1

I may of glanced over it but if it hasn't been said yet DS4 windows is a sweet program to have but you're also not just limited to steam for purchasing games 

- Chrono. GG 

- humble bundle (actually had an RPG bundle a little while ago)

- fanatical ( also has rpg bundles)

- green man gaming. 

M&kB do take awhile to get used to I used to practice against bots and call of duty zombies it sure is a learning curve but you do get better over time 

Nexus mods is by far one of the best modding sites some games kinda sorta require "loot" to work but vortex is a good way to download and organize your mods just make sure you follow the instructions on some things if 

{Blank mod} requires <blank> and (blank) make sure you have the pre requisites

You say you've built a VERY high end PC, but there are plenty of PC exclusives - or even classics that aren't on PS4 you could play. It shouldn't matter that they won't push your computer to the limit.

Wasteland 2 (3 is nearly here) is a good turn based RPG. Its on PS4 but that port sucks.

On 6/19/2019 at 3:07 AM, EIephantsOnAcid said:

You say you've built a VERY high end PC, but there are plenty of PC exclusives - or even classics that aren't on PS4 you could play. It shouldn't matter that they won't push your computer to the limit.

Wasteland 2 (3 is nearly here) is a good turn based RPG. Its on PS4 but that port sucks.

Yeah, someone else kinda mentioned above, but I have a hard time playing a PC game when I could play it on PS4 and earn trophies for it.  (I still earn sony rewards points for trophies).

I just switch from PC to Console 6 months ago and I cant see myself going back to PC if im not playing games that are straight up better played on PC (Total War, Paradox Grand Strategies, Civ 5 and 6). The problem with PC is that everything just takes up time, you have to use antivirus and antispyware, you have to clean it all the time, steam takes ages to open and I have to download everything with a shit internet instead of buying disks like I do with ps4. Also I find its way more comfortable to play on ps4 compared to pc maybe Im just getting old.

Like I said PC has some amazing games, EU4, TWWH, and great indies, but indies are coming to console too.

PC games are cheap af compared to console, I think I got Witcher 3 Complete Edition for like $15, but you wont find as many high quality exclusives on PC like you do on console, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn or Spiderman.

Edited by Montyzu

• 4 weeks later...

Xbox Game Pass for PC is a great service. Great value for money, lots of interesting games available and more have been added frequently (here's a list). This month they're adding a few more: Night Call, The Banner Saga 3, Killer Instinct DE and For The King. 

My husband is subscribed to the service, we both have access to the available games on our own PCs and we earn Xbox Live achievements on our own accounts. Yesterday we played online co-op together in Wargroove. In a way this is better than Steam where family sharing prevents you from playing the same game at the same time. 

The Xbox beta app is fast and really convenient to use. I'm looking forward to it improving and getting more features like an achievements list. Now you need to use Xbox Console Companion app for it. 

I also looked into the modding possibility and the folders where the Game Pass games are installed are protected, so unfortunately modding isn't possible at the time.