Why doesn't PlayStation allow you to hold as many currencies as you want?

Tyrant-Cynical

I'm not asking how to buy games from other countries because I already know how. I'm asking why PlayStation doesn't allow you to buy games from different countries using the same account.  Why can't my  Canadian PSN account hold currencies from the U.S and Japan or any other currencies PSN allows? I don't really understand why they would stop you from shopping in other countries PSN stores. Even if they want you to use the currency of the store your shopping in that would be ok. For example, if a Canadian were to shop in the Japanese Playstation store, they would have to shop using Yen and not CAD. If it was like that I would be happy because I wouldn't have to make multiple psn accounts in order to shop in other countries. The main reason why I ask this is because of that new trophy reward system they added not to long ago which gives you money in your psn account for collecting trophies, but the catch is only Americans can sign up for it. So I can't sign up for it because I'm a Canadian and I use CAD. However, if they allowed PSN accounts to hold as many currencies as you want, anybody from any country would be able to sign up for the reward program because they could just shop in the U.S PSN store. I want to know whose fault is it that we cannot shop in different countries on PSN. Is it Playstation's fault? or is there some sort of law that forbids Playstation to allow such a feature? Because in my eyes, a feature such as that could only bring more money to Playstation's pocket. It would also benefit the people who move to a different region. Because if a person who lives in North America and owns a North American PS4 were to move to the U.K which is in Europe, and if they didn't know the trick to buy games in different countries (which most do not), they would have to  buy a new European PS4 and make a new European account in order to buy games in the U.K. Plus they lose all of their trophies and any other things their old account had. So whose fault is it that we cannot hold as many currencies as we want?

• Like 2

There is so much to explain to answer this question. First off regulations,censorship,localization,language restrictions,server restrictions,dlc restrictions,currency exchange rates and so much more. For example there are games JP and US have that are not available in some UK countries due to laws saying they're are too sexual or violent. This would also open up sony to a whole lot of legal issues. If it was all one big store and say someone in China bought a game that is illegal in their country(they have very strict regulations) then they can sue Sony for selling it as well as the government taking action against sony as well. 

Edited by EmoKitten4
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Different countries have different regulations. If that wasn't the case, we'd just have one big store and currencies would be irrelevant. They're not going to make it easier to do something you're not supposed to be doing in the first place.

9 minutes ago, EmoKitten4 said:

There is so much to explain to answer this question. First off regulations,censorship,localization,language restrictions,server restrictions,dlc restrictions,currency exchange rates and so much more. For example there are games JP and US have that are not available in some UK countries due to laws saying they're are too sexual or violent. This would also open up sony to a whole lot of legal issues. If it was all one big store and say someone in China bought a game that is illegal in their country(they have very strict regulations) then they can sue Sony for selling it as well as the government taking action against sony as well. 

So basically the reason why PS will not allow you to shop in different countries is that people from different countries create laws base off from their own opinion that restricts other people from buying a harmless video game that will not hurt anybody. When I think about it, that new Senran Kagura got delayed either in NA or EU because they didn't allow there. It just shows how other people can make life much harder for other people just because of their opinions even though it doesn't affect them at all.

21 minutes ago, jamaicanchampion said:

So basically the reason why PS will not allow you to shop in different countries is that people from different countries create laws base off from their own opinion that restricts other people from buying a harmless video game that will not hurt anybody. When I think about it, that new Senran Kagura got delayed either in NA or EU because they didn't allow there. It just shows how other people can make life much harder for other people just because of their opinions even though it doesn't affect them at all.

It got delayed for US cuz Sony US has been on this huge "protect the kids" censorship rampage lately telling devs to cut/cover more and more. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jamaicanchampion said:

Censorship is such a small part of it. Import laws in general is a much more important aspect. 

Import laws have existed for a long time. Way before video games. You're looking at it in a very narrow way.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kingdrake2 said:

it hasn't let up either, the neptune franchise was the next casualty followed by DMC 5.

My poor Nep-Nep T_T But it's minor right now but if Sony US keeps pushing this further and further in one of their biggest markets. Next gen might not fair as well unless they backpedal on the entire thing.

28 minutes ago, EmoKitten4 said:

Sony US has been on this huge "protect the kids" censorship rampage lately

always, not lately

51 minutes ago, jamaicanchampion said:

People from different countries creates laws based off their population needs. Germany has laws against some stuff on games because that's their culture. Same for New Zealand. Different people have different needs. It would be awesome to just buy some sort of playstation credits based on your currency and buy any game with that, but that's just not how it works right now.

Maybe PS5 will be different, who knows? So instead of having country based censorship, we gonna have full console based censorship instead, since all versions will basically be the same.

1 minute ago, EmoKitten4 said:

Next gen might not fair as well unless they backpedal on the entire thing.

the bigger gaming market absolutely does not care about niche games being censored. it won't affect the industry by a whole lot. when a game like witcher gets censored hard, then we might start seeing changes. DMC 5 might or might not cause some damage, is yet to be known

7 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

always, not lately

People from different countries creates laws based off their population needs. Germany has laws against some stuff on games because that's their culture. Same for New Zealand. Different people have different needs. It would be awesome to just buy some sort of playstation credits based on your currency and buy any game with that, but that's just not how it works right now.

Maybe PS5 will be different, who knows? So instead of having country based censorship, we gonna have full console based censorship instead, since all versions will basically be the same.

the bigger gaming market absolutely does not care about niche games being censored. it won't affect the industry by a whole lot. when a game like witcher gets censored hard, then we might start seeing changes. DMC 5 might or might not cause some damage, is yet to be known

That is my point. It's minor right now but if they start tackling stuff like Call of Duty,GTA,Witcher,Cyberpunk and more major AAA titles then Sony will have a major shit show on their hands. If parents are so worried their kids will see some fake bewbs then they need to actually parent their kids. Hell even then parents can only do so much cuz when you are not around your child can be doing w.e. My mom was awesome and let me play GTA and stuff as a kid cuz she knew i could handle it but i always played those games at my friends houses cuz we didn't have a lot of money growing up.

Edited by EmoKitten4

17 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Censorship is such a small part of it. Import laws in general is a much more important aspect. 

Import laws have existed for a long time. Way before video games. You're looking at it in a very narrow way.

It seems mostly censorship to me. They can fix Import laws by making you pay taxes in both countries. That's what they do when you buy something from another country and get it shipped to the country your in. Thanks to that you can buy almost anything online as long as you are willing to pay taxes in both countries and its legal in the country you are in. Its messed up but it works. If they don't allow that video game to be in the country then its censorship.

Edited by jamaicanchampion

26 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

always, not lately

I think blaming it on culture is just another way to say censorship which I think is messed up for countries to be able to do that. If someone doesn't like something then that is ok because that is their opinion, but what's not ok is to make it illegal for others to use that something if that something is harmless. They are forcing their opinion on other people even though it doesn't affect them at all. Their opinion shouldn't affect other people's items at all because it doesn't affect themselves. If the item is harmless then it shouldn't be banned no matter what the culture is. I can understand banning or restricting items such as guns because people can use guns to hurt or kill someone. Now their opinion matters because it affects them as well. but a video game is a harmless item and for that reason, countries shouldn't have the power to censor items just because of their own beliefs. There has to some sort of safety reason or some other good reason to ban something and "culture" is not a good reason.  

Except some of those things are culturally sensitive eg nazis in Germany, pandas in China etc.  Keep in mind that some of the censored items are things that were voted in by the majority, so in those cases, it's more unfair to disregard their wishes.

It may not be fair, but that's the law of the land, and if you choose to live and/or do business there, you have to abide by their rules.  The only way that's going to change is if you become the supreme ruler of the world.