[Help] USB drive not working

Ghanupher

Hello my fellow gamers and whatnot, I have had an issue with my USB drive today, and for me it's important if it can be fixed or not/or even if it will happen again with any other USB drive I use.

Thing is, I use this drive to backup all (or most) of my PS2/PS3 save files.

Today I removed the USB drive from my PS3 while off (usually is plugged in) and did a "backup" of my backup in my laptop PC.

Some files could not be copied to my PC due to them "not being in the drive anymore"(?). That would be one of my questions: isn't it supposed to copy all of the files without any other hic-up than the files' being the same and asking me if I want to overwrite them? (I don't remember the files' names or extension, sorry).

But the critical part came next: as I was about to remove my USB drive from my laptop PC, I see that the memory of the drive was almost full with data (7 and some gigabytes out of 8 gigs), which was obviously wrong since the save files aren't more than some 1-15 megabytes, and I have less than a hundred game saves.

I clicked to open the USB drive, and there they were: folders with garbage/hieroglyphs/jibber jabber/rubbish names (which I didn't open) that were clearly something else.

Next thing I did was format the USB drive to remove all those unknown files, thinking to myself "there's no big deal, all I have to do is transfer all the files back from my PS3".

Well, turned out I was dead wrong. As I tried to transfer the files back from my PS3 to my USB drive, after the fifth or so save file transfer, a message would come up saying "it was not possible to access the USB drive", and I could not transfer anything else.

So, in short, the big question is: is my USB drive broken? If so, is there a way to tell what happened? Does it require a specific option selection to format it (I chose the default settings: " FAT32" and "16 megabytes", for the formatting process)?

Once I tried to check the drive for any problems using the Windows assistant, it tells me that there was none, but gave me an option to perform a more through-out searching, which I clicked on. Then, after some 30 min., a message would pop up saying there was an error and that It couldn't be fixed at the time, telling me to try again later.

So, long story short, I would like to know how can I get my USB drive back to working order (if anything), and (of same importance) if it will eventually happen with future USB drives I use.

Thanks in advance!

Note: If you haven't noted already, I know jack-shite of software/hardware and anything PC related, so I would advise to keep the answers simple, like if you were telling a toddler.

Edited by Ghanupher