unseen aid - whats the point?

you dont lose half of your exp or sen next time you die but when the majority of the game is spent dying trying to beat certain enemies or bosses then whats the point? you hardly lose any exp you gained when you die without unseen aid and as for sen... considering what certain items cost, theres no way youll have enough just by casually playing and never dying once. youre going to end up farming for sen anyway.

am i missing something or is unseen aid just overall pointless?

• Like 1

It's not pointless at all, it incentives the player to just be careful and not be so reckless. Making the effort to keep the unseen aid at 30% instead of 5% makes a world of a difference when it comes to the later areas of the game when you can easily rack up several thousand by just slaughtering enemies. Plus, it also serves as an indicator whether or not you're dying too much, since it decreases the more the disease spreads, potentially hindering NPCs. I've bought every key item/important upgrade through smart play and being careful, no farming at all.

It's not a massive game changer by any means, but I don't think it's useless at all! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yrva said:

It's not pointless at all, it incentives the player to just be careful and not be so reckless. Making the effort to keep the unseen aid at 30% instead of 5% makes a world of a difference when it comes to the later areas of the game when you can easily rack up several thousand by just slaughtering enemies. Plus, it also serves as an indicator whether or not you're dying too much, since it decreases the more the disease spreads, potentially hindering NPCs. I've bought every key item/important upgrade through smart play and being careful, no farming at all.

It's not a massive game changer by any means, but I don't think it's useless at all! 

Since enemies respawn, I have the feeling that farming exp will be extremely easy, so losing exp would not be a problem. And for money you can always buy / sell item, I am pretty sure this won't be a problem as well.

Like OP, I also feel that it is quite useless, beside being an indicator of how good / bad you perform.

4 hours ago, TemplePilot said:

Any way to raise it back up?

It will raise automatically just by not dying :D (at least mine is slowly going up after dropping at the beginning).

Edited by nudoetcrudo

It's pretty useless I agree. Reminds me of the regain mechanic from Bloodborne except that one was a good idea done badly.

The average player will be dying so much in this game they'd have lost 75% of their money and skill level before this even pops.

Add Dragonrot to that and you might as well just ignore the feature lol.

I feel like FromSoft already had a perfect consequence in Dark Souls - if you die, you lose your souls, but if you're good enough, you can still get them back, but if you die again before reaching it, it's gone. Not totally consequence-free, but still fair and related to skill. This is literally just RNG. Sure, if you don't die too much the RNG is marginally better, but it's still random. You could do amazing for a long time, die, and then take that hit against what you earned. Or, you could do terribly and die right away, but the die rolls in your favor anyway and it won't matter. Unlike Souls, skill isn't really the final determining factor in whether you get back what you lost. Dying a lot is an inevitable and natural part of FS games, and I feel like the Soulsborne games did a good job taking that into account, not handing you an easy win, but not being unnecessarily punishing either. I get it's a new IP, so they probably wanted to experiment with a new method of failstate consequences, but here's hoping they don't carry this particular formula forward to future games. 

• Like 1

From what I understand, it's Rng based, but chances are lowered if you die too much since its connected to the dragon rot infecting the villagers/npcs. I believe you can raise the chances by curing the affected npcs. 

What I think this mechanic does is to act as a feedback loop to help one learn from their mistakes i.e "learn or suffer", something like that.

Edited by wackt1