Dying too often?

Okay, it's not to help me not die too often, but more so the effect of when you accept death and respawn at the statue instead.  Is there an actual ending tied to not dying too often? Or say, anything else bad that happens (other than the whole, loose xp and money ordeal).  As I did get some stuff, something about crows, and something else about coughing... didn't quiet understand what that was all about.

But even so, I suppose I should also ask in that, I shouldn't need to worry about if I die too much on my first playthrough? Just trying to understand it a bit more, mostly because the bosses I've fought so far have given me a tough time.

The effects caused by dying often are reversible, so I wouldn't worry too much about permanently locking yourself out of anything. But these games can have convoluted requirements for the endings, so if you're going in blind you shouldn't be surprised if you need another playthrough at some point anyway.

But someone did ask From and they said there's nothing special for not dying, although there's still confusion about whether that applies to resurrecting:

1 hour ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Okay, it's not to help me not die too often, but more so the effect of when you accept death and respawn at the statue instead.  Is there an actual ending tied to not dying too often? Or say, anything else bad that happens (other than the whole, loose xp and money ordeal).  As I did get some stuff, something about crows, and something else about coughing... didn't quiet understand what that was all about.

But even so, I suppose I should also ask in that, I shouldn't need to worry about if I die too much on my first playthrough? Just trying to understand it a bit more, mostly because the bosses I've fought so far have given me a tough time.

Dont worry about it on the first playthrough, just enjoy the game and get one of the endings.

I think some of the ending will be dependent on side quests and death will affect those because of Dragon rot but there is an item that cures Dragon rot and you can get unlimited of that item so you will be fine when going for the plat.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Ah, good to know that the stuff can be reversed in the end.  I was just more curious about the impact it has than anything else right now.  But yeah, I'll be playing more of it for sure, just got frustrated yesterday and gave it a rest for the remainder of the day xD

Ya Fromsoft games can be frustrating but also very satisfying to play,  if you havent played many Fromsoft games, remember you get heavily rewarded with XP and items for more exploration,  so take your time in each area.

• Like 1

Just now, iGGTheEnd said:

Ya Fromsoft games can be frustrating but also very satisfying to play,  if you havent played many Fromsoft games, remember you get heavily rewarded with XP and items for more exploration,  so take your time in each area.

Yeah, I've played both Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 , but I think this one is a bit more tougher, just cause of the mechanic used in this.  I mean, I finally took down that chained ogre... and then the area after also has a boss in it x.x

But to be fair, I also have the Estate to explore now.  So really, I'll keep taking the dying aspect, only resurrecting it it's worth it, as in, if say, the boss I'm fighting is close to dying, otherwise, not sure.

3 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Yeah, I've played both Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 , but I think this one is a bit more tougher, just cause of the mechanic used in this.  I mean, I finally took down that chained ogre... and then the area after also has a boss in it x.x

But to be fair, I also have the Estate to explore now.  So really, I'll keep taking the dying aspect, only resurrecting it it's worth it, as in, if say, the boss I'm fighting is close to dying, otherwise, not sure.

Ya I am having a tough time getting my parrying down, I have never been good with parry timing so this games kicking my ass, I did the boss in the estates first and just reached the chained Ogre but then had to go do stuff irl.

Is there a reason to not atleast try and ressurect?  Is there less of a penelty for dieing or something?

It's not explained clearly in the game, but my understanding from people further into the game is that dragonrot only builds up and spreads when you die, not when you resurrect. That falls in line with my own experience as well. If you avoid resurrection in order to keep the disease from spreading, you'll only make is spread more quickly.

2 hours ago, Xylobe said:

It's not explained clearly in the game, but my understanding from people further into the game is that dragonrot only builds up and spreads when you die, not when you resurrect. That falls in line with my own experience as well. If you avoid resurrection in order to keep the disease from spreading, you'll only make is spread more quickly.

Nah it still builds up when you resurrect, it just buffers in the background until you die, then you get hit with a few. However, maybe resurrecting then running back to an idol to rest may negate it? Not sure.