SONY WILL Stop Distributing Game Download Codes from Retailers on APRIL 1ST

Maxie_M0us3

[EDIT] Sony has CONFIRMED the policy change! Better getting codes on retailers quickly!

IMPORTANT! Better be safe than sorry!

There has been a leaked memo from GameStop. This memo was sent by Sony, announcing that they will stop distributing digital download codes for FULL GAMES to retailers, starting by April 1st. From this date, only digital full games will be purchable directly via PS Store!

Not only that, Sony will disable ALL remaining codes left in retailers’ system! This may potentially invalid all remaining PS3, PS Vita and PS4 game codes, including delisted games from PS Store, now only accessible via those codes!

However, codes from PSN currency cards, PlayStation Plus membership and Add-ons (like DLC, season pass, microtransactions) will still be available for purchase.

Right now, you better get those codes from the retailers and redeem them to your PSN accounts before it’s too late!

Edited by Max654
  • Like 2

I'm sorry it's my fault guys. I bought a Division 2 digital code from Best Buy last week. I never knew these existed aside from redeeming prepaid PSN cards and when I finally buy one of these things, Sony discontinues lol

Regardless, this affects me none since the PSN pre-paid cards are still going to be around.

1 hour ago, wackt1 said:

People still buy download codes for full games still? As long as im able to still buy physical copies, I'm good.

This means that there won't be any more Playstation humble bundles, which is kind of disappointing

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ShonenCat said:

As long as physical copies still exist, we will be A-OK 1f44c-1f3fb.png The true path for any collector lies within those discs in pretty cases (:

it's true, i'm still working on getting ps3 games for my collection since there's some games not available through psn.

1 hour ago, DEI2EK said:

This means that there won't be any more Playstation humble bundles, which is kind of disappointing

I wouldn't jump to this conclusion yet. Humble Bundles are tied to charity and feature older games that would very rarely sell at full price anyway. Sony would look really bad if they stopped these.

I never bought a digital version of a full game from retailers... only a season pass once (as a gift) and PSN/PS+ cards so I should be ok. But would this really affect Humble Bundle? It's hard to believe.

Maybe, just maybe, Sony is trying to help my addiction. I mean with PS+ games reduced to 2 games only and IF Humble Bundle stopped for PS I'd be adding way less games to my backlog. Sooo.... thank you Sony?

But anyway, I don't like these new changes Sony is making recently.

1 hour ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Those third party download codes always seem like the most expensive way to purchase a game anyway. If you're going to buy digital, at least the PSN store has frequent sales, you'll never get those buying a code third party.

Most stores would honor physical version sales and you could get the digital code from their store for the same sale price.

Besides from Humble, I had never bought a PS digital game from a retailer, honestly does this really affect anyone? Im a little buzz atm so I don't see anything to panic about.