5 Worst Games You've Ever Played for Trophies (or Achievements)

PhantomFear94

I have played some bad games, but if the game was OK enough for me to earn all the trophies relatively painlessly, then its OK with me. Some games though I absolutely hated and was torture to finish were:

1. Dreamals: Dream Quest- is suppose to be an easy platinum, but there are a shit ton of levels and most of them require some pretty perfect timing to complete the levels with 3 stars. Just a bad game that idk if i will ever get the platinum.

2. Wheels of Aurelia- just an story game while you control a car. it can only last 15-25 mins for a play through, but to earn the platinum, you need to play it like 20-25 times or something. I got so bored with it after the 3rd time playing. Just not worth your time.

3. Stories: Path of Destiny- Free PS Plus game i tried out. Pretty fun for the first couple of breakthroughs, but you need to complete it a crazy amount of times to earn all trophies. I just hate games that force crazy amounts of breakthroughs. 

4. Escape Dead Island: This game is so clunky and stupid to play, IDK how i even finished the platinum. some trophies were very specific on what you had to do and it was very hard to get the trophies to pop. Just not worth your time. 

5. Goat Simulator- more specifically all the DLC trophies in the game that i am trying to currently get. Just a glitchy game that asks too much in the DLCs. Will have probably put more time in all the DLC getting the trophies then I did in the base game. 

• Like 1

The only games I bought for trophies were Jazzpunk and Donut County. I was challenging myself to earn a plat a month for an entire year (and I’ve actually managed to maintain it so far this year too) and some months I just didn’t have the time to dedicate to longer games. That being said, I actually had a lot of fun with both of those titles.

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture however is a game I thought sounded fun but quickly realised was a tedious walking simulator. I ended up powering through that one in my platinum challenge purely because it was an easy plat, but it was a hard slog. I didn’t have fun with it and I wouldn’t recommend it. Also the trophy list is absolutely awful with things like stand in a phone box for 3 minutes or walk in and out of a door 30 times ?

I did also play Magus for the trophies on my free trial for PS Now come to think of it ? objectively terrible game, but I had fun with it ?

Edited by hittheroadbucky
  • Like 1

2064 Read Only Memories My first go at VN game was that nonary one called Virtues Last Reward. I really enjoyed that one and thought this would be ok as well and had an easy list. Story was bland as all get out and controls stunk and characters were not done up well. 

Sound Shapes This was just boring, really really boring. But them like 85 silvers though. 

Venetica Just a really bad and broken RPG. Stay away from this at all costs.

Terminator Salvation just a garbage game from beginning to end. 

• Like 1

Gem smashers

Spiral splatter (WTF, hard as hell) 

Deponia

Eekemo "that thing of dark shard" 

Albedo

Sigi a fart for melusina

The little acre

Virginia

Jazzpunk 

Dying reborn

Planet of the eyes

All Telltale games

The inner world

Blackwood crossing

Oops, they're a lot more than 5 games ??

Thankfully with Death Stranding I understood my stupid easy shitty platinum addiction, trying to reduce it by 80%

Edited by tjoe1bkhjtqxm

50 minutes ago, tjoe1bkhjtqxm said:

Oops, they're a lot more than 5 games ??

I'll help balance it out :P

I like to think that I really only play games I have a general interest in..only game on my list is

Shenmue II (I guess I can include Shenmue as well)

Never played the original on dreamcast but I've heard of the game and it seemed interesting. Honestly, Shenmue wasn't terrible. A bit clunky and issues with wasting too much time idling to just be able to pass time (fixed that a bit in Shenmue II)

But the second game felt like such a slog. Some parts were way too repetitive (climbing that Yellow Head building...wtf) and it just repeats the same QTE events over and over....because...it can I guess (and I like QTEs to an extend...which seems to be different than a lot of opinions on QTE in general). Other waaaay to drawn out (entire Guilin section). No reason to have 3 hours of "gameplay" to walk through the same area 400x. I was skipping all the dialogue by this point because I just wanted my plat. 

Also dialogue/VA is rough and controls are clunky.

Orc Slayer - Awful game that the only thing going for it was that it was barely playable I guess.
Goat Simulator - Wasn't fun, kinda glitchy, and flappy goat sucked.
Ether One - The video guide I followed wasn't great and there was no other alternatives, story was confusing until the end.
Terminator Salvation - Supposedly an easy plat, turned out to be somewhat difficult on some parts on hard.
The Order 1886 - The developers had a nice concept for a videogame but decided to make a movie with a terrible story for some reason.

Edited by xh117

I haven't really started on any of the truly horrid games I currently own except for one, so most of my list will be the bottom of the barrel handouts from PS+.

Dishonorable mention: Magus - Truly a shitty game. Finished it in 14 hours over 2 sessions, it took that long because of the grind for obtaining 500 items. The game is a pushover because it makes you OP as all hell very early on, certain combination of spells make you unbeatable and the level increase is meteoric. It atleast had semi-decent controls so it's not on my list.

5. WWE '13 - Not gonna lie I used to be a diehard wrestling fan and this game had the best campaign among WWE games, the Attitude Era mode! It was the best period in WWE history which was the reason I bought it. But to plat the game I had to suffer through the most terrible online boost in my entire life. I've boosted multiple hard games but now everything else seems doable when compared to this. THREE WHOLE MONTHS of grinding with 1 partner AND with the constant threat of your stats getting reset :jaymon:. If you check the hardest online trophy in the game I am the second last achiever (my boosting partner has his account set to private) of King of the World before server shutdown. Truly a soul crushing component of the plat for an otherwise excellent game.

4. Claire - Yeah this game was mechanically OK but holy crap was it boring. 2 runs for the plat was the most that I could put up with and even with the guide giving specific instructions this was not fun to play.

3. XBlaze Lost: Memories - Oh boy we enter the visual novel genre and this one for me was the first of its kind. Truly boring gameplay, meaningless story, amateurish dialogue which I skipped through and completely unmemorable events. I really only played it for the plat.

2. Amnesia: Memories - Another visual novel and this one was even worse somehow because gameplay was nonexistant. The story was typical drab anime crap, I just used the well made guide to skip through the entirety of it to get my plat. I actually plat Code: Realize - Guardian of Rebirth as well and by comparison Code's story was much MUCH more interesting. With characters pulled from history and english novels and set in a steam punk anime world I actually read through the entire stories for 4 out of the 5 male characters.....Amnesia also had 5 males chars....or was it 6? Ah who cares it was dogshit.

1. Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition - Holy shit this game was an absolute CHORE to complete. 7 levels each with it's own subareas of fighting the same bloody enemies with the same lame weapons while listening to Duke's retarded one liners. I'm a 90's kid, I know my cheesy one liners watching Arnold and Stallone movies....but Duke was especially bad and all I wanted was to get it over with. Not to mention having to get 500 online kills which didn't connect to a lot of the boosters who joined my group. And to top it all off there's no plat for the PS3, what a joke. I'm dreading the day I have to play the PS4 version to stack this shit.....at least I'll get a plat out of it. Give me DOOM over this anyday.

Since I own cult classic garbage like Damnation, Terminator Salvation, Duke Nukem Forever and Last Rebellion this list might change depending on my experience with those games....but honestly I doubt it, since at least they are not shitty genres unlike the top 4....

• Like 2

I try to play/ plat games I like but

1) adventure capitalist... I have it on my phone why the hell I thought I should play it on PlayStation is beyond me

2&3) jack N Jill DX - it looked like a Mario gameboy colour clone so I thought id give it a go... No it's all bad 

4) Conan exiles - pretty bland and boring even after I got the trophies I tried playing it and oh my goodness it was sooooo boring.

5) hitman Go - why I keep buying/downloading mobile game ports is beyond me, I also have Lara Croft Go or whatever it's called haven't booted that one up.

But otherwise, I liked a lot of games I played and ones I didn't I stopped playing, I like point and clicks (deponia, day of the tentacle, telltale), I like metalgal it felt like a shitty megaman clone and it was great, back in 1995 was a good go, and terminator resistance was fun stuff as well.

5 hours ago, ZEUS_OfThe_AEGIS said:

5. WWE '13 - Not gonna lie I used to be a diehard wrestling fan and this game had the best campaign among WWE games, the Attitude Era mode! It was the best period in WWE history which was the reason I bought it. But to plat the game I had to suffer through the most terrible online boost in my entire life. I've boosted multiple hard games but now everything else seems doable when compared to this. THREE WHOLE MONTHS of grinding with 1 partner AND with the constant threat of your stats getting reset :jaymon:. If you check the hardest online trophy in the game I am the second last achiever (my boosting partner has his account set to private) of King of the World before server shutdown. Truly a soul crushing component of the plat for an otherwise excellent game.

438 matches if you do the math. Wouldn't be bad if not for the stats getting reset.

1) Dark Mystery - it was on sale for 99 cents and I just wanted a 100% in my profile since it had been awhile, shovel-ware elephant crap

2) Burly Men at Sea - not even horrific, just inoffensively boring and my highest rarity plat (gross over 60%)

3) Child of Light - saw a lot of love for this game, did not get it at ALL, very slow, don't love the constant rhyming

4) Mahjong - inoffensive but boring similar to Burly Men at Sea

5) Catlateral Damage - smacking things off a shelf as a cat for a sub-30% rarity platinum

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

438 matches if you do the math. Wouldn't be bad if not for the stats getting reset.

On paper yes, not so bad, but 3000 xp is if you play a long drawn out match executing multiple moves and your finisher and pinning the opponent properly.

The proper boosting method was to pick a handicap match with CM Punk (WWE Champ at the time) against 3 people and the op hit you (Punk) with a steel chair and immediately get disqualified.....that ends the match quickly but gave about a 1000 xp iirc.....so it's more like 1316 matches.

And that's just for ONE PERSON. What about your boosting partner? So double that shit! 438 x 2 is 876 which is crazy anyway but 1316 x 2 = 2632 matches...... yeah that's why I said soul crushing.

I assure you, I've done boosts like Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, Crysis 2, Bioshock 2 and MK9, all long, hard and complicated.....but even they don't come close to the horror of WWE 13. Maybe Resistance 2 and Uncharted 3 would be contenders but servers are down and I missed them. Maybe Far Cry 2 if I muster up the will to start it.....

A few people listing Jazzpunk. I quite enjoyed it.

Metagal, Daggerhood and Super Weekend Mode make my list easily. Didn't realise how dirty the trophies were when I bought them - they just seemed like inexpensive fun.

my other two spots go to Seasons After Fall (dull) and Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk (painfully long, stupidly unbalanced, redundancy deep power systems, and just excruciatingly boring to play)

I had posted here to comment on a user thought on one of the game he had listed... I guess I'll tell my own ones.

5) Jak X: Combat Racing and Rayman Origins
On the fifth position, I put two games tied on each other: the reason why I put them all together is because they are here on this list for the same reason. They are not bad games, but I really had no fun at all getting the Platinum Trophies on them, and here is why:

-Jak X: Combat Racing: I'm a huge Jak and Daxter fan ever since I was a kid, and I was looking forward to get the Platinum Trophy of Jak X. However, after few races, I realized how unfair the game was: it didn't matter what I do, even if I performed incredibly well the game would make an opponent shoot me with the most powerful weapon of the game like two seconds before I would win the race, so I would die, everyone would pass me by and I would end the race at the last place. Really unfair, this is how I would define the game. I say it again: this is not necessarily a bad game, I'm sure it would be fun as hell to play it with friends, but the CPU is really unfair, that's it.

-Rayman Origins: I'm really sorry to say it, because I'm aware of the fact that this is one of best 2D Games of all time: it's a great game, but again, I had no fun in getting the Platinum of it. At some point while playing it, I started to burn out, I felt like the game didn't have to have so many levels, and I cleared the last levels completely burned out, I just wanted to finish them so I could get the Platinum and play something else.

4) APB Reloaded
I started this game back in 2017, soon after buying a PS4, and some friends told me to get this game: at that time, I was not really into Trophy Hunting (I only cared about the number of Trophies I had, not about the Completition Percentage), so I would play that game with my friends and I casually got one Trophy. Then, I realized that this game was not so funny, and I stopped playing it: for three years, that game ruined my profile with that horrible, horrible "1%" of completition, and because all the other Trophies had incredibly low percentages, I had no intention to restart it only for the Trophies. I changed my mind only two weeks ago, because that "1%" was hunting me in nightmares: so far I have been able to rise that percentage a lot, and I am still playing that game to make it rise as more as I can, and I have to own it. That game is not as bad as I remembered, it's actually quite funny: the problem I have with it is that it's a Pay2Win game, sometimes players with incredibly strong weapons would rape me and there is literally nothing I can do. And, last but not least, if it wasn't for the Trophies I would have probably never played that game at all.

3) Rime
Not a bad game... It's just so meeeeh. I didn't enjoy that game at all, it's a 6/10 game, nothing interesting, really. I literally followed a Platinum Walkthrough video all the time, to finish it.

2) Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness
I was curious to try that game, but I soon realized this was not my kind of game: again, I'm not saying this is a bad game, but playing it makes me realize that I am not a huge fan of Visual Novels, so I quickly got the Platinum with a Guide so I could move on and playing something else. The only thing I really liked about that game is a minigame that has, actually nothing to do with it and that I think can easily be played on a phone: it is called 2048 and actually gave me addiction, lol.

1) Paladins
I have to thank the friends who suggested me APB Reloaded, if I have that shitty game on my profile: not funny, stupidly random Trophies, and it's near impossible to boost them, since you need 10 people and all the times I tried (Doing my best) to gather 10 people so I could throw that shit of game in the garbage it belongs, there would always be problems: people having to go away after 10 minutes, language barriers, no time available to everyone, people who forgot that you can't boost if you haven't played a bit against AI to level up yourself...  And after we were somehow all ready to boost, we were unable to get matched, and there was always that nice guy who said "guys I have to go to work pls can i get the trophy?????" or smilar. Just fuck off.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Kholat

You can describe this game with just one word: bugfest. The character you play gets stuck between trees or bushes and can even glitch trough the floor and die. The monster that chases you throughout the game often spawns right in the middle of the only path you can take, and it doesn't move so you can't just sneak past it. Also, there's no way to identify traps in the game that instakill you. The "best" thing about this is that you can only save by finding tents which are scarce and far apart which means that you can lose up to an hour of progress (maybe even more if you're unlucky).

2) STAY

Oh god, I still remember those horrible puzzles... 90% of the puzzles in this game aren't just hard, they are imposible to solve unless you either use a guide or have an IQ of 300. Also, the character you're supposed to help acts like a moody teenager. His reactions to your answers are unpredictable; at the start of the game, he thanks you for encouraging him to find an exit, but use the same dialogue option a few chapters later and he whines about what a heartless monster you are. I found it very hard to relate to him and the story didn't make much sense either. The only thing I liked about this game was that you can skip all puzzles after beating the game once.

3) Back In 1995

The developer clearly put a lot of effort into getting the retro look right, but I can't say the same about the other aspects of this game:

Suspense? Zero.

Good monster designs? Zero. (One enemy literally looks like a floating overcooked potato with arms...)

Meaningful interaction with NPCs? Zero. They only give you quests, maybe say something that's supposed to be witty, and that's it.

Plot? Zero. I read that the developer took inspiration from Silent Hill among other games. As a Silent Hill fan I can say that, while the plots in this franchise are often very surreal, they always make sense. The story in this game however doesn't make any sense at all, even if you play through the bonus chapter.

TL;DR: Cool retro graphics, but the rest sucks. But hey, at least you get a free platinum for your troubles.

4) The Mooseman

While I really like the art style of this game, I found the gameplay very repetitive and boring. You get some interesting insights into Finno-Ugric mythology, but there's not much more. You just wander from one level to another, collect some items with lore descriptions, and at some point the game is over. The trophies were a pain in the rear too because the hints hidden in the game are very cryptic. During my first playthrough I mistook them for simple background details that didn't serve any special purpose.

5) Everybody's Gone To The Rapture

A game with a very interesting story, but the trophies... they felt like the devs just put them in because they could. There's a lot of backtracking, doing useless things like entering and exiting a certain building multiple times in a row... I wonder why I even bothered platting this game because it was one of my most tedious platinums.

• 3 years later...

Just to reference i don't buy games just to get trophies. I'll buy a game knowing full well it has a fairly easy trophy list, but the sole purpose is the fun from the actual game. Trophies are always a secondary requirement. 

Linger In Shadows

Weird ass game that left me more confused than dissatisfied.

XBLAZE LOST : MEMORIES

Got this through PS+ and i initially thought this was a fighting game, but after booting it up I realised it obviously wasn't. However I still persisted with it, following a guide and just skipped through the dialogue until it was done and dusted.

Storm Boy

Bought dirt cheap on a sale. Nothing memorable, just persisted with it until it was completed.

Rally Racing

I like rally games and knowing this was a huge pile of shit, i still bought it anyway. Mainly 'cos it was very cheap and came with some MX helmet avatars.

Dark Mystery

This is probably one of the worst games here. I bought this as i thought it might be a fun casual platformer, and it was included in a bundle that was on sale.

Oh how wrong was i !?.. This is a total pile of glitchy shite, absolute terrible hit boxes, jumping mechanics and overall playabilty that sucks.

Edited by Tweeked_Demon
  • Like 2

1. XBlaze Lost: Memories (PS3)
  2. WRC 5 (Vita)
  3. Rugby 15 (Vita)
  4. F1 2011 (Vita)
  5. Rogue Warrior (PS3)

After I finish a game I give it a rating in my spreadsheet of 1 tot 5 stars. The above 5 games all have 1 star because they were bad, boring and too long. I also have some 1 star games like some Rata titles that were pretty bad, but at least they were short and quick to forget.

I'll ignore my shovelware stage on Xbox as there are dozens of candidates. These are games that actually try, but fall hideously short. 

- Snakeybus -  From 2018 - 2020, I went through a phase of getting Rata games and topping up my gamerscore constantly. This isn't even one of those , but whilst I still occasionally dip into easy games (mainly on Xbox keeping up to date with all the title updates to keep throwaway completions at 100% - my penance for my past mistakes) I've moved more into quality > quantity gaming wise. This game pushed me over the edge to really question the value of my time gaming. Getting 420 segments was one of the most infuriating gaming experiences of my life. An awful game. 

- Scalextric - One of the worst games ever made. The UI is broken, crashes, horrendous controls, just an absolute travesty.

- Unmemoried - The only time I've ever got motion sick from a game, and its not even VR. World design that made me feel sick. 

- Toby: The Secret Mine - Horrible Limbo-like which has hideous controls and infuriating puzzle design 

- One Leaves - This one was a weird one. It was a free escape-room style game on Xbox One with "horror" elements published to discourage people from smoking. I am all for anti-smoking campaigns, I can't stand smoking, but this game is pure trash. It's rubber-banded to vague time limitations, samey puzzles and achievements which required 20 full escapes, whereas you'd get all achievements in around 3 otherwise. I don't think I ever questioned this hobby as much as I did before or after playing this. 

On 4/10/2020 at 12:04 PM, KenjiCBZ said:
3) Rime
Not a bad game... It's just so meeeeh. I didn't enjoy that game at all, it's a 6/10 game, nothing interesting, really. I literally followed a Platinum Walkthrough video all the time, to finish it.

RiME is a top-20 game of all time for me. It's one of my favourite indies ever made. I love the puzzles, the aesthetic, everything. 

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 1

I don't really play that many bad games but here are some Platinum examples that came to mind.

5. Rayman Legends - Circulated in a few lists before here and as everyone probably knows it's a wonderful game but the final grind is awful. PSNP lists my Platinum at 5 months and 2 weeks and I don't think I had many days off in that period. Would be higher on my list if the game was worse, now I at least enjoyed playing during the grind.

4. Mafia - Screw you, racing mission on hard! The rest of the game was ok.

3. Warhammer: Chaosbane - Stopped playing this game at first because of the long grind to complete the game with every character, including the extra ones that they added! Almost a year later I forced myself to pick it up again and complete but it wasn't fun.

2. Micetopia - I'm really in to Metroidvanias and found this game at a sale so I bought it. Little did I know that I was some kind of shovelware take on the genre. Got the Platinum before even finishing the game at <1½ hour. Good for me I guess, gave me the opportunity to quit the game sooner.

1. Paw Patrol the Movie: Adventure City Calls - Ok this game is awful. Bought it for my son to play it because he was really in to Paw Patrol at the time but he didn't even like it so I was stuck grinding the Platinum by myself in this totally brainless game without any challenge at all.

Edited by Mattheuz

Lydia - a well-intentioned narrative mess

Her Majesty's SPIFFING - Apparently this is supposed to be a funny? I've seen british humour before. It was funnier than this.

Tina's Toy Factory - not all that bad, but unpolished and clearly made in somebody's garage with the help of their nice auntie for audio clips

Woodle Tree Adventure - moving at a glacial pace makes this game unbearably tedious

Gabbuchi - just annoying and pointless

• Like 1

I need to paraphrase what @Elvick_ said years ago here because I want to participate and maybe contribute with games that might be really bad:  "I don't play games solely for the trophies, there's always a healthy interest" or some weird connections I make between games, series, themes and so on.

Here we go, the lower the shitier.

5- Halloween Puzzle

L88cd9f.png

This isn't half as bad as the ones below, but I felt cheated playing it right after Puzzle Journey and realizing that the publisher had released the same poor memory game, but this time with less cuteness, worse controls and the lack of novity. It is definitely shovelware and left me wondering what am I going to do with my profile, 'cause I like completing series or sets of games and I'm predicting a rain of Erik Games free shovelware incoming, God help me avoiding this. I read earlier today that a set or series of shovelware isn't particularly a set, so I will try to go with that and not feel Iike it would be an incomplete series. Ok, but this only goes here due to filling up a spot, this isn't a game that I'm strictly not recommending.

4- Rad

L39db40.png

Oh boy, this is the one I played after Going Under and like to compare them: the latter put a smile on my face everytime I got home from work and knew it was waiting for me, while Rad used to bring me down and make me think that I was having more fun at work. I really enjoy everything from Double Fine and mutations and genetic-themed games, especially roguelikes, but this one wasn't on par gameplay wise, it felt unimaginative, sometimes ugly, had an annoying narrator, was repetitive, all that made the platinum journey exasperating, not much the too random requirements for sidequests, but the game itself didn't please me. Not gonna lie that the ultra rare was attractive, here is where I sometimes push myself to do things out of the ordinary, but nowadays I would just avoid this as I'd avoid a cockroach, or rather kill ir for my wife. Hopefully this is not as strong though and disappear completely from the face of Earth.

3- Timothy vs the Aliens 

L3d24c7.png

This was the first bad game I ever added to my account, it was February 2018, I bought it at launch, expecting an amazing gangster, noir shooter, but sadly ended up with a bad executed game, not fun, a little bland and very annoying experience. The soundtrack is good though, and you can feel the studio tried their best but unfortunately they failed to deliver it. I remember thinking that a Grim Fandango reference was the part I enjoyed the most, even though it was just a tombstone in a cemetery. Would I let this game R.I.P.? Yep, until...

2- Timothy's Night

Lde6994.png

They re-released the game for ps5, asking full price from everyone, honestly I saw zero improvements and playing it was even more daunting than the first time. They might have added a gun or an extra collectible, can't remember exactly. Just no, horrendous; did it for the full set... At least that tombstone I mentioned was still there.

1- Bunny Raiders 

Lb90df9.png

Can't resist to a brand new (at the time) F2P twin-stick shooter featuring rabbits as protagonists, the game's tile was gorgeous and still is, probably the sole reason I don't regret playing it, but I'm definitely saying stay away from this crap and go for Kitten Squad instead, that game felt like it was made in flash yet it was way better, looked way better and I had fun with that. This rabbits game has bad controls, lack of art style and personality, is boring as hell but at least had a good last boss and was short enough. Anyways I'm giving this the gold medal for being the worst game in my list.

There is a bunch of games people mentioned as being bad that I completely adore, stuff like AdVenture Capitalist, walking sims like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, all Telltale games, all point and clicks from Double Fine, especially Broken Age which is my favorite, and many more. I guess I'm glad we're all different and our shitty game might be a pearl to someone else.

GravityQueeen.png

Edited by GravityQueeen
  • Like 2