Getting really tired of this generation and Sony

fbdbh

22 minutes ago, theSpirae said:

After reading all ten pages in this thread, there is a common misconception here. People blaming industry/devs for focusing on DLCs/Season Passes/crappy MP games rather than new IPs. This is the gamers' fault, we are to blame. We vote with our wallets and simply because people choose to pay for all DLCs/SPs, etc. the industry is going to be pushing it more and more because it generates enough profit for very little work. It's exactly the same situation as with lootboxes; the problem is people buying them.

I think there are still plenty of awesome games being published, maybe you just don't want to see them.

If we went back to the way the industry/devs were handling games during the Playstation 2 generation, I actually wouldn't mind it.

You had no DLC, no microtransactions, no season passes, no "live service", no multiple special editions, no preorder bonuses, no shill advertising collabs. I mostly blame the western AAA videogame industry for this, but the Japanese have also gotten away with some shit like Square's Final Fantasy XV, which is chock full of DLC and microtransactions. Capcom has also done some shady stuff with their Street Fighter franchise. Konami speaks for itself.

I dabble a lot in the niche/indie game market, because at least you get some genres that aren't commonly found in AAA games and you're more guaranteed to get the actual game as "complete" with minimal updates. If you're tired of stuff like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Assassins Creed Odyssey then I suggest you look at other avenues. The Yakuza games are very tempting, there's a lot of Japanese games a lot of people outright skip because they're not "mainstream" enough.

The people to blame are those who buy Madden every single year, and continue to buy EA and Activision games. Just look how people reacted to Star Wars Battlefront 2.

• Like 1

OP here, back again. A more concise conclusion for me regarding the games themselves.

What I miss this generation:

• Mid-sized sequels and spinoffs with decent production values (like Infamous: First Light and God of War: Ascension). These are still being made (rarely, sometimes as DLC), but the more prevalent live service models are disrupting this market.
  • Hack'n'slash games
    • PS3 era: 4 Ninja Gaidens, 2 God of Wars, 2 DMCs, a Metal Gear Rising, Killer is Dead, Heavenly Sword, Bayonetta, etc.
    • PS4 era: NieR: Automata and Devil May Cry 5
  • 3D Platformers 
    • Specifically I'm underwhelmed by the Ratchet & Clank series' absence, one lazy reboot and zero ports (vs PS3's 6 (!) new games and the port of the original PS2 trilogy)
  • Original titles with gameplay systems only developed for them
    • PS3: Demon's Souls was new, Assassin's Creed was new, Mass Effect was new, Uncharted was fresh, Infamous was fresh, etc.
    • PS4: All major releases and new IPs follow the same cinematic action-TPS formula with crafting / throwable distraction / skill trees, etc., returning series don't innovate on gameplay (although they are more polished and have higher production values, yet still not striving for better framerate and UX)

So yes, I hear the argument that we have pretty much everything, but that's not really true. As I outline what I value in a game, I can see that what I'm specifically looking for, is disappearing. I'm not burnt out from gaming as a whole. I've played through Metal Gear Rising for the first time this weekend, it took me a day, and I had an absolute blast. It fits almost all of the categories above, and this is something I'd like to see more in the following years. But I won't, right?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

If we went back to the way the industry/devs were handling games during the Playstation 2 generation, I actually wouldn't mind it.

You had no DLC, no microtransactions, no season passes, no "live service", no multiple special editions, no preorder bonuses, no shill advertising collabs. I mostly blame the western AAA videogame industry for this, but the Japanese have also gotten away with some shit like Square's Final Fantasy XV, which is chock full of DLC and microtransactions. Capcom has also done some shady stuff with their Street Fighter franchise. Konami speaks for itself.

I dabble a lot in the niche/indie game market, because at least you get some genres that aren't commonly found in AAA games and you're more guaranteed to get the actual game as "complete" with minimal updates. If you're tired of stuff like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Assassins Creed Odyssey then I suggest you look at other avenues. The Yakuza games are very tempting, there's a lot of Japanese games a lot of people outright skip because they're not "mainstream" enough.

The people to blame are those who buy Madden every single year, and continue to buy EA and Activision games. Just look how people reacted to Star Wars Battlefront 2.

Even PS2 games had preorder bonuses. I don't know about most of them, but some came with art books if you preordered them.

Metal gear solid 2 came with a metal gear saga DVD if you preordered the game.

Shadow hearts covenant included shadow hearts 1 if you preordered the game.

Rule of rose included a soundtrack

Persona 4 included an art book, a tshirt that was exclusive to Game Crazy

Eternal poison included an art book

Cold winter included a bonus DVD

Doom 3 had 3 mini figures as a preorder bonus from gamestop's, EB games, and best buy, 1 exclusive to each store

Bards tale had a bonus DVD

Oni had a soundtrack from best buy

Simpson's hit and run had a hat

Chaos legion had a watch

50 cent bulletprooth had a concert DVD

Dot hack rebirth had a 4 port USB hub

Dead or alive ultimate came with a kasumi figurine for preordering

Leisure suit Larry magna cum Lauder included a bonus DVD

Mech assault 2 had a preorder version of the game that included bonus content not part of the base game

Chronicles of riddick escape from butcher bay had a bonus DVD

Fable had a limited edition bonus DVD 

Odd world strangers wrath had a bonus DVD

Men of valor had a bonus dvd

Even the gamecube did it with wind waker, you preordered the game and got ocarina of time master quest for free with it

Pokemon Colosseum included a bonus jirachi game disc 

Twilight princess had a steel book from gamestop

The oldest preorder bonus I can find without much trouble is for the original gameboy, the segata sanshiro game on the sega saturn had one too, shenmue on the dreamcast had one as well.

They definitely existed since the early 90s, but didn't really become super widespread until the xbox 360/PS3 era

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fbdbh said:
  • 3D Platformers 
    • Specifically I'm underwhelmed by the Ratchet & Clank series' absence, one lazy reboot and zero ports (vs PS3's 6 (!) new games and the port of the original PS2 trilogy)

This. Arguably my favourite franchise and they fucked it over completely. I dunno how the reboot got such rave reviews, when it was probably even worse than the Full Frontal Assault spinoff. As weak as it was, at least you could say that that game did something different with the franchise.

In the PS4 reboot they completely destroyed the original dynamic Ratchet had with Clank, how they hated eachother before they came friends. Ratchet is such an interesting character in the original PS2 game, and here I can't fucking stand him. They fucked over the lore by changing the original Galactic Rangers (from Up Your Arsenal), they shoehorned Nefarious in this game (and let's face it, as an organic lifeform he looks like a joke and isn't menacing in any way whatsoever), they made everything look so kiddie friendly and cartoonish as if it was crapped out by Nickelodeon, not to mention the lack of skill points, weapons, planets (!), interesting story, etc. It's such a bloody shame.

• Like 4

I dont think anything is really disappointing me this generation, most of the games I've played have been largely enjoyable, there's always a few duds and even quite a few games that have received rave reviews from critics and fans that I've just simply not been able to get into past a couple of hours after multiple attempts. That's on me though.

The only thing this generation is lacking from a first/third party are quick sequels and proper trilogies etc. and I don't mean annual titles like COD or FIFA. There are some out there I can think of and again that's on me that I haven't gotten around to playing them yet.

12 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

-snip-

Much of that was buying a Special Edition, more or less a Collectors Edition. I don’t have a problem with those. GTA San Andreas had a Special Edition which included a bonus DVD. This is nothing new. 

The difference is it wasn’t thrown around like candy like it is now. Ubisoft is basically the leader in issuing out Season Passes and having multiple special editions. Seriously, what was wrong with just one special edition? They are going overkill with them. 

12 hours ago, Thrintus said:

In the PS4 reboot they completely destroyed the original dynamic Ratchet had with Clank, how they hated eachother before they came friends. Ratchet is such an interesting character in the original PS2 game, and here I can't fucking stand him. They fucked over the lore by changing the original Galactic Rangers (from Up Your Arsenal), they shoehorned Nefarious in this game (and let's face it, as an organic lifeform he looks like a joke and isn't menacing in any way whatsoever), they made everything look so kiddie friendly and cartoonish as if it was crapped out by Nickelodeon, not to mention the lack of skill points, weapons, planets (!), interesting story, etc. It's such a bloody shame.

Ratchet had a different voice actor in the original game. He gave him a bit of a surfer type attitude. Ratchet basically stumbled upon Clank, and eventually as the game progresses they became friends. 

The reboot is more so based off the movie, which sucked. The movie was obviously targeted to kids, who probably have no idea what the original Ratchet and Clank was like, let alone played any of the games. It’s typical Pixar/Dreamworks garbage. 

The reboot reminds me a lot of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius with the same kind of humor and acting. 

Because Sony does Not own all game developers, complaining about them being the cause of the current game industries shallowness is absurd.

And FYI: PS4 has sudo~backwards compatibility... I still use my PS3 version disk of BF4 to play it on my PS4.
And a lack of knowledge of cpu architecture finishes the rest of that argument. PS3 CELL =/= PS4 X86.

8 minutes ago, A12 said:

Because Sony does Not own all game developers, complaining about them being the cause of the current game industries shallowness is absurd.

And FYI: PS4 has sudo~backwards compatibility... I still use my PS3 version disk of BF4 to play it on my PS4.
And a lack of knowledge of cpu architecture finishes the rest of that argument. PS3 CELL =/= PS4 X86.

The cell CPU in the PS3 is based off the powerpc architecture and even has 1 powerpc core in it, and 8 SPE which are SIMD single instruction multiple data cores

The xbox 360 has a xenon powerpc cpu in it and they managed to create backwards compability emulator on the xbox one, it's not impossible

9 minutes ago, A12 said:

I’m talking about smaller indie PS3 games off of PSN. The big stuff is obvious. You can’t put in the Dead Space 2 disc in the PS4. Same with God of War 3. 

A game like Megaman 10 I shouldn’t have to play it on a PS3 when the PS4 is perfectly able to handle it.

People can crap on this generation and there are valid concerns that a certain formula for games is being overused for both story/game progression and DLC/microtransactions (no putting the genie back in the bottle on that one).

But there is a reason that my PS3 sits and collects dust despite an ample backlog. I prefer PS4 games.  Some of it is technology-based but they are generally deeper, more immersive experiences.  Gaming continues to evolve.  I wish I was a kid now, instead of when NES came out, it was fun, but fun like riding a moped.

Go back and try playing a PS1 or PS2 game now.  Largely, they were so simple/basic.  PS3, the games got deeper/longer but still pales in comparison to what we see today.

Perhaps, we want the games to evolve faster, which is fine, but we are clearly ahead of last gen.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, djb5f said:

People can crap on this generation and there are valid concerns that a certain formula for games is being overused for both story/game progression and DLC/microtransactions (no putting the genie back in the bottle on that one).

But there is a reason that my PS3 sits and collects dust despite an ample backlog. I prefer PS4 games.  Some of it is technology-based but they are generally deeper, more immersive experiences.  Gaming continues to evolve.  I wish I was a kid now, instead of when NES came out, it was fun, but fun like riding a moped.

Go back and try playing a PS1 or PS2 game now.  Largely, they were so simple/basic.  PS3, the games got deeper/longer but still pales in comparison to what we see today.

Perhaps, we want the games to evolve faster, which is fine, but we are clearly ahead of last gen.

This is no different than saying stuff like Home Improvement is no longer good while saying shows you see on Netflix and Amazon Prime are the greatest things ever.

Nobody is saying there is nothing good to be had this generation. My argument, and certainly the OPs argument, is we don’t think there is as much of a variety now as there was last gen.

I love good 3-D platformers, but that stuff is now more into a niche and indie gaming audience. I love Ratchet and Clank but there has been a great lack of games that fit that genre. I would definitely like to see a reboot Jak and Daxter game where they take everything that made the trilogy great and expanded upon it. Despite some complaints I enjoyed the reboot Crash Bandicoot trilogy. But people now just see it as a bit of a nostalgia trip than a proper 3-D platforming series that is fun and engaging to play. 

In today’s smartphone, politically correct world, I was glad to be a kid before trampolines were considered dangerous and NERF guns weren’t seen as too risky.

11 minutes ago, Spaz said:

This is no different than saying stuff like Home Improvement is no longer good while saying shows you see on Netflix and Amazon Prime are the greatest things ever.

Nobody is saying there is nothing good to be had this generation. My argument, and certainly the OPs argument, is we don’t think there is as much of a variety now as there was last gen.

I love good 3-D platformers, but that stuff is now more into a niche and indie gaming audience. I love Ratchet and Clank but there has been a great lack of games that fit that genre. I would definitely like to see a reboot Jak and Daxter game where they take everything that made the trilogy great and expanded upon it. Despite some complaints I enjoyed the reboot Crash Bandicoot trilogy. But people now just see it as a bit of a nostalgia trip than a proper 3-D platforming series that is fun and engaging to play. 

In today’s smartphone, politically correct world, I was glad to be a kid before trampolines were considered dangerous and NERF guns weren’t seen as too risky.

One of the common trends I've noticed these past couple years, is every goddamn game has to have some type of material gathering/crafting system.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I am not saying that every PS4 game is better than every PS3 game.  Definitely not, but on the whole, yes give me a PS4 and that collection of games please.  I too wish it evolved quicker than it has but no question, every generation of gaming has been better than the last.

TV has not made the same strides as gaming since the 80’s (unless you bring in the tv viewing experience, HDTV vs. old tubes) but it is called of the Golden Age of TV for a reason.  What HBO, Netflix, Amazon, and a few cable channels offers is far superior to network tv (on the whole).  That was not the case in the 80’s/90’s where network tv dominated.  There are certainly some classics going way back but so much to choose from now, just have to avoid the junk that proliferates some streaming services.

1 minute ago, djb5f said:

I am not saying that every PS4 game is better than every PS3 game.  Definitely not, but on the whole, yes give me a PS4 and that collection of games please.  I too wish it evolved quicker than it has but no question, every generation of gaming has been better than the last.

In terms of production values, polished graphics, capabilities, every generation exceeds the last. 

But there comes a point where you could outgrow gaming, and as someone who has spent the past 25 years playing games that notion is closer to me now than it was in the past. 

There is plenty out there today that can satisfy me and keep me engaged but it’s more so the smaller independent games that do that rather than the giant big budget multi million dollar powerhouses. 

Third person cinematic games that follow The Last of Us’s crafting system is nice and all, but that shouldn’t be the only thing present in AAA games. I find the Japanese stuff to be a lot more interesting than stuff like Red Dead Redemption 2. If I didn’t have such a big backlog I would actually be tempted to try out those games. 

9 minutes ago, djb5f said:

TV has not made the same strides as gaming since the 80’s (unless you bring in the tv viewing experience, HDTV vs. old tubes) but it is called of the Golden Age of TV for a reason.  What HBO, Netflix, Amazon, and a few cable channels offers is far superior to network tv (on the whole).  That was not the case in the 80’s/90’s where network tv dominated.  There are certainly some classics going way back but so much to choose from now, just have to avoid the junk that proliferates some streaming services.

Network TV hasn’t been good since the late 90s/early 2000s. I give HBO, Netflix and Amazon Prime credit because they didn’t fall under the ‘reality tv’ craze that gobbled up once great stations like Animal Planet, A&E, History Channel, TLC and most tragically MTV.  

It’s all pointless crappy reruns, a shitty reality show and some political crap I can’t be bothered to listen to. 

• Like 2

I originally thought I hated this generation because of all the terrible stuff that has happened but looking back on everything, I actually have had a lot of good experiences this generation. I've also had a few bitter sweet experiences too. I just want to talk about all the memorable games of this generation because you don't buy a console to look at it and watch it gather dust in real time.

Metal Gear Solid V

I played the prologue of Metal Gear Solid V (Also know as Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes) first thing when I got my PS4. It was okay and I haven't played it since. Then I played the rest of the game (Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain) and had a very good time with it. The gameplay was pretty good but I'd rather play most of the other MGS games.

Fallout 4

I got it day one because I enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas a lot. I enjoyed the game a lot and played it for 40+ hours after I got the platinum. I like Fallout 3 and New Vegas more.

Fallout 76

It's better than Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel at least. I honestly enjoyed the game despite all of its many shortcomings. I have a lot of good memories of this game; most of them involve it crashing or glitching out in spectacular ways.

Megadimension Neptunis VII (VII stands for Victory 2)

This game is why I bought a PS4. I enjoyed the Neptunia games on PS3 and Vita so I knew I was going to enjoy this one. It was the first game to really knock my stockings off. I was my favorite game on the PS4 system at that point in time.

A Hat in Time

It is my favorite platformer. I had a smile on my face the entire time I played A Hat in Time. It's just a really good game. 12/10, will buy on PC someday because the PS4 version doesn't have the DLC last time I checked.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X

The one is very bitter sweet. The songlist is the smallest of the Project Diva games that have been released in the west but I love 80% of the songs with only a few I think are okay and one I hate with a burning passion. It expanded on the features I didn't care about and made them kind of good. You were allowed to have ever costume unlocked at the start, for a small fee; obtaining costumes is also random and a few are unlocked only after doing crazy hard challenges. I'm honestly have very mixed opinions on this one.

Spyro: Reignited Trilogy

Just 3 PS1 games remade the correct way. I was really happy they didn't knacker this one up too much. I bought it digitaly to play it at midnight so the whole trilogy not being on the disk thing didn't effect me but I was still upset at the whole situation. Other then that, games were worth my 40 dollars.

Persona 5 & The Witcher 3

They are both really good games. I know they're not very similar games but I put those two together to save space.

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Why do people hate this game? Can someone please explain why. I heard this game was a stain on human history so I avoided it when it came out. I only bought it because I was playing through the Mass Effect trilogy at the time and it was on sale for cheap. The game wasn't great but it wasn't that bad either. It was just alright in my opinion.

Bayonetta 2

It was the first game but better. It's been so long since I played I don't remember much besides it was really good and the multiplayer was fun.

Smite

They put a PC MOBA thingy on a console and that was all I played for a year. I quit because I could keep up with a game that is constantly changing and you would usually get yelled at by both teams if you were doing poorly. I also spent way too much money on micro transactions to buy skins for characters I liked but were never in the META so my team would rage quit everytime I wanted to wear something nice. I don't regret my choice to buy the micro transactions; I only try to forget the terrible things I experienced. Whenever I think about giving it another try, I always have to remind myself it's not the same game anymore. It could be a cart racer for all I know.

The Sims 4

I really wanted to get a PC  to play this game but it came to consoles. The console is just the PC version but missing some DLC (it's being added overtime) and a few major side features. The game actually run very well unless you have a lot of objects on screen and crashes not too often but just often enough you remember to complain about on the Internet. The controller controls are very hard to get use to but once you get use to them they're okay. The game also supports mouse and keyboard; I play with a controller too much so I found keyboard more cumbersome then using the controller.

Overwatch

I luckily didn't get too into this one or buy any loot boxes. The game was good but I wasn't very good so everyone blamed all their problems on me and requested healing I couldn't give them, for reasons that were legitimate. I enjoyed the solo death match mode they added a lot because I was decent at that. I don't play Overwatch anymore because I trophy hunt now.

GTA V

The single player was really good but I mostly played the online. I all did was grind out virtual money, pay my virtual bills and buy things. Whenever I tried to use the things I bought, I would get blown up and called a noob or somebody wanted me to be their girlfriend. For some reason I kept playing this game for 2 years until the Arena Wars DLC was added. Arena Wars was the most fun I ever had playing that game so I stopped playing because I didn't want to sully the one grand experience I had and I was too into trophy hunting to grind the game anymore.

Monster Hunter World

You never saw it coming but when it struck, it struck fast and hard. It is a Monster Hunter game so good, it ruins all the other games in the series.

Yomowari: Night Alone

I like creepy things but I can't enjoy scary games; I startle very easily. For some reason I own 3 Fatal Frame games on my PS3, can play through the Last of Us (the game came with my PS3) without issue and keep shopping a Walmart. I bought the version of Yomowari that also had htoL#NiQ -The Firefly Diary- as the same game file because it was like a dollar or two more. I played Yomowari first because I didn't care about the other game, got really scared during the tutorial and only ever tried the game again when I was being bad and felt like punishing myself. I played the cute little firefly game instead of Yomowari because it was too scary. After getting the platinum for the cute firefly game that I really enjoyed, I decided to try Yomowari again because I was feeling brave. I was the very scary but I somehow got through the whole game because it was so good. Only horror game I've been able to finish and platinum so far.

No Man's Sky

I thought the game was too hyped-up and ambitious to be any good. I was right. Then I bought the game right after it came out and everyone said they hated it because it looked fun. I knew it was bad but played it anyway. I played the game for 30 hours, got most of the trophies and got bored so I stopped playing. I played the first few updates it got but I got bored within a day and left. I heard the game was good now from multiple online sources, started a new save, really enjoyed the game and got the platinum. I got bored and haven't played No Man's Sky since.

QURARE: Magic Library

Best mobile game put onto a PS4 I ever played.

Valkyria Chronicles 4

Valkyria Chronicles 1 was perfect. Valkyria Chronicles 2 was impressive for the PSP and really good but wasn't as good as the 1st. We never got Valkyria Chronicles 3 in America or Europe so I can't play that one until learn Japanese or get a PC to play the fan translation. Valkyria Revolution is a spinoff title that I have not heard a single good thing about; I bought the game so I could give my own thoughts on it but haven't played it yet because I've been busy with other games. Valkyria Chronicles 4 is very similar to Valkyria Chronicles 1 but improves upon the perfect game in ways I never thought possible. It is so good that I bought the game twice, all of the DLC I found interesting, the special edition (I have only bought a special edition of a game one other time; the other game was Touhou Genso Rondo Bullet Ballet and it was only $50 brand new at before launch) and it's my favorite game ever. It replaced The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask as my favorite game of all time; Majora's Mask has been my favorite game since I was a smaller child. The story is great, the annoying anime tropes are kept down to a minimum, the game can be both funny and serious at the right moments, the gameplay is perfection+1, the sound is really good, it has a lot of good content, it's challenging and fair (most of the time but a little extra punishment never hurts), lastly Nico is best girl. Lily is second best.

Overall, this generation has treated me very well. I didn't comment on some major games because I haven't played them; I didn't want to share every experience because some were boring and I don't feel like seeing the maximum size of a post just yet. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

The reboot is more so based off the movie, which sucked. The movie was obviously targeted to kids, who probably have no idea what the original Ratchet and Clank was like, let alone played any of the games. It’s typical Pixar/Dreamworks garbage. 

The reboot reminds me a lot of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius with the same kind of humor and acting. 

The cutscenes of the reboot literally *are* the movie, that's why gameplay recording is blocked during them. The movie was really awful, I enthusiastically took my 10 year old brother to see it and even that poor bastard was disappointed. Only thing I can't complain about are The Groovitron and Mr. Zurkon, two of my favourite weapons from the newer games (even though they don't make sense canonically).

On 4-6-2019 at 8:32 AM, Spaz said:

I agree with most that Lil Wayne, Future and Kayne West are all shit. Their music sucks, and one easily thinks Hip Hop is basically that because they listened to their music and didn't listen to anything else. There are rappers out there who do good music, but it's probably likely they're not the ones selling millions of records and setting some YouTube phenomenon because their music video got over 100 million views.

Now this really hurt to read... Don't jump on the hate bandwagon against Lil Wayne and Kanye. They've put out some of the better modern rap albums of the last two decades (ESPECIALLY Kanye). Just look at the reviews below...

5mlC7Vz.png

Kanye's early material, especially the Dropout Trilogy (the 3 last albums on this list) are fantastic. But as you can see, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is his masterpiece. That's where you could really see how Bon Iver influenced him and how he evolved past the death of his mother (who was a major influence for his previous album, 808s & Heartbreak, which is arguably one of the most influential albums of all time - regardless of quality).

Lil Wayne has had some weak albums, not gonna lie. But he's still the king of rap punchlines, undoubtedly. Just listen to his song, 6 Foot 7 Foot and tell me he's not. One of my favourite rappers. His mixtapes are better than his studio albums (even though I enjoyed his Tha Carter pentalogy), he used to spit over Mobb Deep beats and such.

However, I do agree that the underground scene is pretty damn good. I love CunninLynguists, Army of the Pharaohs (and its individual members, like Apathy and Vinnie Paz), Lou The Human, Locksmith, etc. Always down for more suggestions.

Edited by Thrintus

1 hour ago, SixyLove said:

Yomowari: Night Alone

I like creepy things but I can't enjoy scary games; I startle very easily. For some reason I own 3 Fatal Frame games on my PS3, can play through the Last of Us (the game came with my PS3) without issue and keep shopping a Walmart. I bought the version of Yomowari that also had htoL#NiQ -The Firefly Diary- as the same game file because it was like a dollar or two more. I played Yomowari first because I didn't care about the other game, got really scared during the tutorial and only ever tried the game again when I was being bad and felt like punishing myself. I played the cute little firefly game instead of Yomowari because it was too scary. After getting the platinum for the cute firefly game that I really enjoyed, I decided to try Yomowari again because I was feeling brave. I was the very scary but I somehow got through the whole game because it was so good. Only horror game I've been able to finish and platinum so far.

This was my entry game to the terror genre. At first I honestly thought I wouldn't be able to play it because of the first few jumpscares. Then one day, after maybe a month of buying it, I decided to give it another chance, and I'm so glad I did. This game is amazing, the sequel (Yomawari: Midnight Shadows) is even better, and both discovered me a whole new genre. I'd recommend you to give it at least one more chance.

(I played both on Switch, if anyone's wondering why their trophies aren't in my profile)

1 hour ago, jooohnny32 said:

This was my entry game to the terror genre. At first I honestly thought I wouldn't be able to play it because of the first few jumpscares. Then one day, after maybe a month of buying it, I decided to give it another chance, and I'm so glad I did. This game is amazing, the sequel (Yomawari: Midnight Shadows) is even better, and both discovered me a whole new genre. I'd recommend you to give it at least one more chance.

(I played both on Switch, if anyone's wondering why their trophies aren't in my profile)

Became curious and looked these games up, and wow, what a lovely art style! I really enjoy horror games, so I'm pretty sure that I'll get them at one point. Any more similar, under the radar recommendations you have for me?

7 hours ago, djb5f said:

But there is a reason that my PS3 sits and collects dust despite an ample backlog. I

Would the reason be, by any chance, that 90% of succesful ps3 titles are ported to the ps4 anyway?

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

22 hours ago, Thrintus said:

Now this really hurt to read... Don't jump on the hate bandwagon against Lil Wayne and Kanye. They've put out some of the better modern rap albums of the last two decades (ESPECIALLY Kanye). Just look at the reviews below...

5mlC7Vz.png

Kanye's early material, especially the Dropout Trilogy (the 3 last albums on this list) are fantastic. But as you can see, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is his masterpiece. That's where you could really see how Bon Iver influenced him and how he evolved past the death of his mother (who was a major influence for his previous album, 808s & Heartbreak, which is arguably one of the most influential albums of all time - regardless of quality).

Lil Wayne has had some weak albums, not gonna lie. But he's still the king of rap punchlines, undoubtedly. Just listen to his song, 6 Foot 7 Foot and tell me he's not. One of my favourite rappers. His mixtapes are better than his studio albums (even though I enjoyed his Tha Carter pentalogy), he used to spit over Mobb Deep beats and such.

However, I do agree that the underground scene is pretty damn good. I love CunninLynguists, Army of the Pharaohs (and its individual members, like Apathy and Vinnie Paz), Lou The Human, Locksmith, etc. Always down for more suggestions.

I know who Lil Wayne and Kayne West are. I CANNOT get into their music. 

Lil Wayne is obvious so I won’t go into him. Kayne West is a despicable human being who is just as much of an idiot as Kim Kardashian. After hearing his drivel outside of his music I find it hard that anybody would support him. 

The old Kayne West was decent. But he sold out and now makes a fool of himself while he sits on millions of dollars. Eminem in his heyday blows chunks out of all the mainstay rappers today. 

There is good old underground rap thankfully. I discovered someone named Gift of Gab a few years back and he sounded a lot better than Lil Wayne and these other trash rappers. But... they’re not the guys who have 100 million views on their YouTube video, which speaks a lot for the talent and creativity of the genre. 

20 hours ago, fbdbh said:

And here's the thing: it's not nostalgia. I didn't play these games as a kid. I started playing all 4 generations of PlayStation games in the same year back in 2013-2014, in no particular order. And the preference was obvious from the start. PS2 games are not simple and basic. They have more depth in gameplay, and less cinematic flair. This is so obvious. So freaking obvious. I could go into breaking down numbers of features, movesets, levels, boss encounters, etc. and objectively compare them to new games, and you'll find that you got more bang for your buck back then. From a gaming standpoint, that is.

So what did you do in 2000 - 2014? Did you simply miss out? Could you not afford these games? 

I got my Playstation 2 back in 2003 and I played both God of Wars, all Jak and Daxters and Ratchet and Clanks, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 3, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater Underground, GTA San Andreas and dozens of other titles. Within a year or two of their release. 

I completely support your argument and I’m not disagreeing with you in any way whatsoever. But it just seems weird that you only just got to four generations of games starting in 2013 - 2014, which is well past their release dates. 

I was a Nintendo kid. Played all the N64 classics but missed out on the PS1 games. Also played Xbox and Xbox 360 for a while before I jumped to the PlayStation 3. 

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

So what did you do in 2000 - 2014? Did you simply miss out? Could you not afford these games? 

In theory I could, but I spent my money on books and DVDs. I've always had a modest mid-range PC, and I preferred very PC-specific games like StarCraft, Thief 1-2, Might and Magic, Half-Life, Baldur's Gate and the like. Later I'd enjoy things like Fallout: New Vegas and Skyrim, and the only console-y game I loved was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. And there came a time when fiddling with the options, .cfgs, upgrading constantly became a hassle, I also felt that games would be much better played with a controller, as I got tired slouching in front of a PC. I got a new job far from my home, I wanted something semi-portable, and a slim PS3 was cheap at the time. I wanted to play the Final Fantasy series that got no PC ports at the time (especially IX), and I was curious about the buzz around The Last of Us. So I kind of got everything for it in a short period of time, PS2 HD Classics were cheap, I've got Final Fantasy 7-8-9 on disc, the Uncharteds, etc. So it was really everything at once, all kinds of console stuff that I didn't dare to imagine at first.

And I remember that I was resistant. I've booted up Jak & Daxter and I rolled my eyes so hard because the logos were unskippable, the cutscenes were unskippable, I had trouble with the controllers, but... then it all clicked. Because the game itself was one single area to be explored freely, with no loading screens. Still, to this day I'm dreading games with forced walking segments and unskippable cutscenes / the-game-does-it-for-me animations, perhaps because of my PC background. Because with Thief 1-2 and Deus Ex 1, you got dropped in the mission and then it's just that, figure it out, traverse, be skillful, be aware of your surroundings, it's all on you. And that's my jam. That's what I'm used to. All my narrative-heavy PC games were like that, even Baldur's Gate where lengthy conversations were not cutscenes, but they were the game, I had to pay attention and make choices that mattered, sometimes gravely. Thief 1-2 and Deus Ex didn't need to spoon-feed their stories, you pieced them together by playing, observing, listening. Kind of like Dark Souls, which became a favorite of mine on the PS3.

So seemingly my preference for narrative heavy RPGs and 3D platformers might not seem too compatible with each other, and you'd think that the now prevalent "narrative heavy cinematic action-adventure with RPG elements thrown in" would be just the thing I need, but it's not, I just find them abominable. Games should commit to their singular core idea, not muddle their vision while pandering to everyone. More features and more content doesn't mean more depth and more player agency.

So that's where I'm at. Sometimes I wonder that I should maybe get a PC again, perhaps it would solve much of my headaches, but now I have two small children, we're living in a small area, and a big, loud nuclear reactor just wouldn't fly there. Also, muh trofis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

I know who Lil Wayne and Kayne West are. I CANNOT get into their music. 

Lil Wayne is obvious so I won’t go into him. Kayne West is a despicable human being who is just as much of an idiot as Kim Kardashian. After hearing his drivel outside of his music I find it hard that anybody would support him. 

The old Kayne West was decent. But he sold out and now makes a fool of himself while he sits on millions of dollars. Eminem in his heyday blows chunks out of all the mainstay rappers today. 

There is good old underground rap thankfully. I discovered someone named Gift of Gab a few years back and he sounded a lot better than Lil Wayne and these other trash rappers. But... they’re not the guys who have 100 million views on their YouTube video, which speaks a lot for the talent and creativity of the genre. 

Kanye has said some questionable things but I wouldn't call him despicable. A lot of the bad things revolving him are just media framing, a too often occurring phenomenon in my opinion. He's constantly portrayed as a villain, misquoted, etc. but he's actually one of the more real people around. Watch his interview with David Letterman from last week for some perspective. Or this: 

He's just very confident and that comes across as very arrogant. He's said it himself in his first studio album, "We're all self-conscious, I'm just the first to admit it." Imagine losing your mother due to something that could've been avoided easily, then society demanding you to remain sane and simultaneously get pressured to continue to make great music AND remain a role model in the public eye. Imagine on top of this, being confronted by papparazzi every day no matter where you go and try to remain friendly every time, even when it's 5AM and you just woke up, to find they're already outside (plenty of YouTube videos of that). He just needs to think more before he says things (such as "slavery was a choice" - he's already explained why he said that and I get his point, but at the end of the day it was a very poor choice of words and I can't fault the public for shunning him). But you can't deny his greatness and the fact he made amazing songs like Saint Pablo, Runaway, Gorgeous, Welcome To Heartbreak, etc. all AFTER his Dropout Trilogy, meaning after the death of his inspiration, his mother, is pretty damn outstanding.

As for the "old Kanye": he's very much remained loyal to his earlier music, in fact he continuously refers to it. An example of this is one of his best songs ever made, Saint Pablo (if you know it, I'm sure you'll agree, if not for him for Sampha's beautiful voice), where he cites one of his oldest songs, We Don't Care from College Dropout. The entire Life of Pablo album is a blend of all his material and the reason why it was so divisive is because of how it tried to please fans of all of his career phases, and therefore became too unfocused. However, it's still a great album and I revisit it every so often.

As for Lil Wayne: you sure you're not talking about auto-tune Wayne? Because that's someone I'd like to forget too. Wayne is actually one of the dopest spitters around, if you can ignore some of the mainstream crap he put out like Lollipop, etc. A few months ago he dropped his last entry in his Tha Carter saga, namely Tha Carter V. He hasn't lost his touch at all. This is a good example (including a chorus by the late XXXTENTACION): 

Here are some of the lyrics, you can't deny there's some really great stuff in there:

"Why y'all staring into the clouds
Am I rising or they comin' down?
I see death around the corner
And the U-turn sign's lookin' like a smile
What do I do now? Who gon' find me, how?
Nowhere to turn but around and round
Just another nigga who done lost his head
No, a fucking king that forgot his crown
I am not number one, it's true
I'm number 9-27-82
Color blind, even if I may be blue
A lot on my plate, ain't my favorite food
But I’m hungry, so hungry
Need my family tree next to a money tree
With a bunch of leaves in the Garden of Eden
With a bunch of Eves, no fruit punch for me
I sip from the fountain of youth
So if I die young, blame the juice
Bury me in New Orleans
Tombstone reads "Don’t cry, stay tuned"
Bring me back to life
Got to lose a life just to have a life
But if heaven's as good as advertised
I want a triple extension on my motherfuckin’ afterlife
Rest in paradise"

Edited by Thrintus
  • Like 1

What bothers me the most is there market position. They simply don't need to think about new things or make an effort. They earned this position with PS4 and their exclusive line up without a doubt, but I'm 100% sure, that we would see backwards compatibility for PS3 titles at least for PS5 if Xbox was dominant in the market. 

The censorship annoys me in general, because developers probably censor themselves too strongly rather than risk a rejection from Sony.

Regarding the games line up there is nothing to complain about on my side besides the lack of arcade racing games. GIEV Forza Horizon alternative, PLEASE!

Edited by Silencer0004

1 hour ago, fbdbh said:

In theory I could, but I spent my money on books and DVDs. I've always had a modest mid-range PC, and I preferred very PC-specific games like StarCraft, Thief 1-2, Might and Magic, Half-Life, Baldur's Gate and the like. Later I'd enjoy things like Fallout: New Vegas and Skyrim, and the only console-y game I loved was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. And there came a time when fiddling with the options, .cfgs, upgrading constantly became a hassle, I also felt that games would be much better played with a controller, as I got tired slouching in front of a PC. I got a new job far from my home, I wanted something semi-portable, and a slim PS3 was cheap at the time. I wanted to play the Final Fantasy series that got no PC ports at the time (especially IX), and I was curious about the buzz around The Last of Us. So I kind of got everything for it in a short period of time, PS2 HD Classics were cheap, I've got Final Fantasy 7-8-9 on disc, the Uncharteds, etc. So it was really everything at once, all kinds of console stuff that I didn't dare to imagine at first.

And I remember that I was resistant. I've booted up Jak & Daxter and I rolled my eyes so hard because the logos were unskippable, the cutscenes were unskippable, I had trouble with the controllers, but... then it all clicked. Because the game itself was one single area to be explored freely, with no loading screens. Still, to this day I'm dreading games with forced walking segments and unskippable cutscenes / the-game-does-it-for-me animations, perhaps because of my PC background. Because with Thief 1-2 and Deus Ex 1, you got dropped in the mission and then it's just that, figure it out, traverse, be skillful, be aware of your surroundings, it's all on you. And that's my jam. That's what I'm used to. All my narrative-heavy PC games were like that, even Baldur's Gate where lengthy conversations were not cutscenes, but they were the game, I had to pay attention and make choices that mattered, sometimes gravely. Thief 1-2 and Deus Ex didn't need to spoon-feed their stories, you pieced them together by playing, observing, listening. Kind of like Dark Souls, which became a favorite of mine on the PS3.

So seemingly my preference for narrative heavy RPGs and 3D platformers might not seem too compatible with each other, and you'd think that the now prevalent "narrative heavy cinematic action-adventure with RPG elements thrown in" would be just the thing I need, but it's not, I just find them abominable. Games should commit to their singular core idea, not muddle their vision while pandering to everyone. More features and more content doesn't mean more depth and more player agency.

So that's where I'm at. Sometimes I wonder that I should maybe get a PC again, perhaps it would solve much of my headaches, but now I have two small children, we're living in a small area, and a big, loud nuclear reactor just wouldn't fly there. Also, muh trofis.

That's just it right there (what I highlighted bold).

I grew up on stuff like Goldeneye 007 and Super Mario 64, and those games compared to what you see now were more challenging.

I used to love going around as Mario trying to find all the secrets and locations. Every area in 64 had seven stars plus one star that you got once you collected 100 coins. Some places around Princess Peach's castle had stars that you had to figure out how to get. I tried everything not to look up a printed walkthrough or a GameFAQs guide because they basically spoiled the entire games.

Me an an old friend I had around 20 years ago used to spend hours and hours and hours on Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. We were still very young, but our minds were full of passion and it was just awesome whenever we stumbled upon a secret. We didn't care about completion rate or progress back then, it was all about having fun and having sleepovers.

I played a lot of those PC games you listed on the Windows XP. It was the best operating system to run them. Deus Ex was revolutionary because there were multiple ways to solve each mission. The protagonist was also a cool headed badass, a bit of an android because he received enhancements that made him stronger than a regular human.

It's difficult for me to play Marvel's Spider-Man and I feel it is a glaring example of trying to cater to everyone. The graphics are absolutely phenomenal and the attention to detail is astounding, but it's the same open world fare I've seen in other games. I'm also tired of all the melodrama that seems to dominate every single AAA game, particularly open world. Everything from the reboot Tomb Raider series to the new God of War has to have it. Most of the time I was watching Kratos being angry with his son Arteus because Kratos refused to reveal his past. There is a bondage between Kratos and Arteus but I was honestly surprised that Arteus didn't just leave him for a definite period of time like I was expecting him to. The story took up the bulk of the game while the gameplay suffered. Sony Santa Monica definitely could of done a lot more with the bosses but there were barely any. The Queen Valkyrie was the only boss I had any thrilling fun with. It's version of Challenge of the Gods was underwhelming and a joke.

I spent over $80 - 90 on Marvel's Spider-Man including the Season Pass which gives all the DLC packs. But I'm honestly struggling to even get anywhere into the game, and I feel that it isn't really targeting me as a gamer as much as it's trying to target a mass audience who aren't too familiar with video games, let alone play them to completion.

A lot of games now have forced tutorials, when really all I want to do is pick up and play.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1