Getting really tired of this generation and Sony

fbdbh

18 hours ago, iriihutoR84 said:

We're a year before next gen starts so naturally there aren't many new announcements until they actually do announce the PS5. Microsoft basically didn't announce anything at E3 this year either. Same with Nintendo the year before the Switch launched. E3 was about Breath of the Wild which was mostly pushed as a Switch title, not for the Wii U. Wikipedia's article about E3 2012 mentions that Sony showcased already announced games and made a single new first party title reveal: Beyond: Two Souls. The Xbox 360 was nothing but low effort Kinect games in its twilight years. This is not abnormal and part of the console cycle. 

Personally, I would disagree about Sony's first party games not delivering. I've never cared much for them as a publisher before this gen really apart from some odd ducks like God of War 1-3, Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls. This gen they have taken a giant leap and become one of the top publishers in the industry. Just plowed through some first party backlog and had a blast. They've gone from making good games to making important games in my opinion. PSVR was a game changer too unlike the stand-alone Move and brought some legitimately fantastic games to the table like Astro Bot, Déraciné and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. All unique and creative titles. And I disagree that Ratchet & Clank, God of War (2018) and The Last of Us are anything alike. There aren't really that many perspectives to choose from if you want to make a blockbuster, it's first or third person. You will find those two perspectives dominating in mainstream games from virtually every single publisher: Nintendo, Microsoft, Bethesda, EA, Activision, Ubisoft etc.

Why do so many ppl swear they know when PS5 is coming?

1 hour ago, MoarNoodlesPreez said:

Why do so many ppl swear they know when PS5 is coming?

Next gen factually starts in 2020 since at least the "Xbox Scarlett" will launch during that holiday season. That's the only direct claim I made about release dates I made. Anything else is words you put in my mouth. 

Sony has confirmed the PS4 is towards the end of its lifespan and they have confirmed its successor is in development. That's why you should expect less new major announcements until that successor is actually revealed. Some of Sony's games in development are for that successor. Doesn't matter if it's spring 2020 or holiday 2021, Sony is preparing for next gen.

• Like 1

Sony definitely had their ups and downs with their 4th generation. At this point however, I don't mind the major restraint of released games on the PS4 as it gives me time to clean up my backlog a bit. I STILL haven't even started The Last of Us among other games simply because life and I prefer a certain couple of genres. 

The quality of gaming has improved immensely compared to previous generations and will only skyrocket once the PS5 releases, but the creativity and fun factor that games of decades prior seems to be missing. The problem from what I conjure is that Sony isn't backed into a corner like they used to. At this point, they've probably sold over 100 million units and seeing those numbers has taken the pressure off of their shoulders so they're starting to ease up. But I also think that creating new ideas is something the current devs simply cannot do at this point because they're not willing to take risks with their craft. Whether it's Nintendo or Microsoft challenging Sony in these next couple of years, they have to pull a few things that are glorious or we're going to enter a stagnant time in gaming. 

There does seem to be more remasters than new IP's and games like Borderlands 3, RDR2 and last of us 2 are taking way to long to release.

Then on the other hand I see why they're taking so long. Because if they get released too quickly and people end up boycotting them kind of like fallout 76 and Mass effect Andromeda.

it's not that I dislike this generation of games, I dislike was generation is turn gamers into. We expect perfection and expect it quickly. We then get mad when we don't get it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

There does seem to be more remasters than new IP's and games like Borderlands 3, RDR2 and last of us 2 are taking way to long to release.

Then on the other hand I see why they're taking so long. Because if they get released too quickly and people end up boycotting them kind of like fallout 76 and Mass effect Andromeda.

it's not that I dislike this generation of games, I dislike was generation is turn gamers into. We expect perfection and expect it quickly. We then get mad when we don't get it.

This, really.  

The generation is fine.  The games are fine.  Gamers expect way too much, too fast and have made complaining about the tiniest things into an art-form (you could say this is true of society in general as well).  Developers are playing it very safe with re-releases and re-masters.  Even the new stuff tends to follow a formula and has a 'designed by committee' feel.

Overall, quantitatively, basically everything has improved, but some of the old magic is gone.

• Like 4

I can't believe how few people here have mentioned PSVR. It is singlehandedly Sony's ace in the hole, innovation wise, and the biggest VR seller compared to Oculus and Vive.There's so many incredible PSVR games out there - have you even tried Astrobot?

You're bored - period. Don't take it out on Sony. You just haven't really explored all your options.

On 6/18/2019 at 4:34 PM, Helmet_time said:

This, really.  

The generation is fine.  The games are fine.  Gamers expect way too much, too fast and have made complaining about the tiniest things into an art-form (you could say this is true of society in general as well).  Developers are playing it very safe with re-releases and re-masters.  Even the new stuff tends to follow a formula and has a 'designed by committee' feel.

Overall, quantitatively, basically everything has improved, but some of the old magic is gone.

People seem to have forgotten that games have been formulaic for decades. The 8 bit and 16 bit generation was filled with standard fare platformers and beat em ups for example. The gaming industry has always  gone by the Follow the Leader model.

• 2 weeks later...

My problem is this generation has been almost entirely one sided, Sony has reaped all the rewards. 

Microsoft has lost a great deal as opposed to last gen and there is nothing coming out that is really going to stimulate people into buying a Xbox One Scorpio. Phil Spencer is a moron and he should of taken the format Sony has followed with their exclusives. Outside of Forza, what do they have? Halo and Gears of War are both dying franchises. Quantum Break was an okay attempt, but it failed to captivate. Besides, you can just get a number of Microsoft’s games through Windows or on Steam. 

To be honest I am considering getting a Switch. The console gets criticized for being underpowered and being sort of niche compared to Sony and Microsoft’s offerings. But I’m not concerned with having to have a graphics powerhouse and Nintendo is one of the few companies left that has stayed true to its roots. 

Sony and Microsoft have both changed course countless times and I don’t even bother trying to count. The upcoming generation will pull in a new generation of gamers, just like the previous generations did. 

Hell maybe I’ll finally play a Pokémon game from start to finish just to see why people have loved it for over 20 years.

But for now, I’m going to stick with my list of PS4/PS3/Vita games and wait a year or two into the PS5 era before I make my decision. 

Edited by Spaz

13 hours ago, Spaz said:

You quoted the least important section of my post. 

I played Pokemon in the past but never got around to finishing the games. 

Well this thread has run its course, so we're just cherrypicking :D 

But basically since I've started this, I tried to get some love out of Nintendo, and I'm also wondering why people love Pokémon. It's basically any JRPG ever, minus anything interesting apart from the central gimmick.

On 6/30/2019 at 5:22 AM, Spaz said:

To be honest I am considering getting a Switch. The console gets criticized for being underpowered and being sort of niche compared to Sony and Microsoft’s offerings. But I’m not concerned with having to have a graphics powerhouse and Nintendo is one of the few companies left that has stayed true to its roots. 

The few games I've tried are fun... for a while, they're not the kind of games I see myself playing for longer periods. The only reason I'm considering a Switch is because apparently PlatinumGames is now on their side.

My 3DS fills in some gaps, but I find myself just picking up a book instead of it.

Edited by fbdbh

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2019 at 6:41 AM, fbdbh said:

Starting to gravitate towards Nintendo or whatever.

Dunno... how about you?

You say Sony is doing the same thing over and over but all Nintendo do is release Mario, Zelda ir Pokémon for the past 30 years.

Maybe you are just burned out of gaming in general, it happens with me sometimes, just take a break, read some books or watch some TV shows.