Getting really tired of this generation and Sony

fbdbh

6 hours ago, fbdbh said:

Innovative sure, for people who have no trouble getting "tied down". But then another kind of gamers (like me) find it inconvenient and expensive, and are left behind with the killing of the handheld extension (Vita or anything similar). For this, I'm more jealous about the Switch than VR. 

I'm no more tied down by VR than I am by needing to be in front of my TV. Sure it's not as portable as a handheld system like Switch, or a mobile phone, but they are different user cases.

Am I annoyed that Sony stopped making first party games for VITA? Sure I am. But this thread is in relation to discussing current gen tech, VITA was released in the PS3 era.

Sorry about the weird quotation. Can't change it. My paragraph is the bottom one, obviously.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

3 hours ago, Potent_Delusions said:

It's a trophy hunting forum, not a Sony forum. 

You can like the console but dislike the company that made it. I like films about World War 2...doesn't mean I like the Nazis, despite them being an instrumental part of something I like. 

Terrible analogy (3rd time being the charm) /s

1 hour ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

this is a Sony/Playstation Forum

Yeah sure. To the left are the cameras and the smart phones, to the right the TVs, the projectors and the hi-fi stuff.

PlayStation straight ahead.

Did you just ask for customer service? Teehee. You must be new here.

Oh, you mean you're serious? SECURITY! This young man is looking for the exit! Please make sure he finds it immediately.

Common Sence

Dick Jonary strikes again

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, fastflowdaman said:

Terrible analogy (3rd time being the charm) /s

Yeah sure. To the left are the cameras and the smart phones, to the right the TVs, the projectors and the hi-fi stuff.

PlayStation straight ahead.

Did you just ask for customer service? Teehee. You must be new here.

Oh, you mean you're serious? SECURITY! This young man is looking for the exit! Please make sure he finds it immediately.

Dick Jonary strikes again

Why do you type this way? So nonsensical?

• Like 2

I disagree with everything you said. Sony has been killing it this gen. It remains to be seen how next gen plays out. It's fair to look for the canaries in the coal mine, with that being said, there are too many whiners and negative people. I for one, am glad they are seemingly done with the lame ass game shows.  E3, PSX, etc etc, all trash. Just about anything they do, is not good enough for most, anyway.  Hell, these Ps4 titles have been stellar, some of the best ever produced imo, and yet here we are.   

Civilization 6, Cuphead and Octopath are not on Ps4, I suppose that means Sony has failed and should re think everything. ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spaz said:

Your description of the PS2 era is spot on. Metal Gear Solid 2, the original God of War, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill 2, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas and Shadow of the Colossus were fucking phenomenal.

Nowadays? Let’s get Resident Evil 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, God of War 2018, Assassins Creed Odyssey, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Fallout 76, Battlefield V and Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 to copy each other and use the same formulas over and over. Let’s make the games more boring at the cost of making everything more cinematic and full of cutscenes. 

If you’re tired of Sony’s IPs, play some good indie games like Bastion and niche titles like Yakuza Kiwami. You’ll be pleasantly surprised. 

Let’s not act like everything old is gold and everything new is shit. All those games you listed are phenomenal but what about the other thousands of games released on the console? 

Resident evil 2 is a survival horror, Shadow of the tomb raider a third person shooter/action adventure, God of war 2018 a third person hack an slash/action adventure, Assassins creed odyssey a action rpg, Spider-Man a beat em up/action adventure, Fallout 76 an online survival/action rpg, Battlefield 5 a first person shooter and Division 2 is a looter shooter/third person online action adventure. I don’t see how anyone who have played those games can think that they all play and feel the same so that statement is far from the truth. Cinematic cutscenes have been around since forever and is one of the reasons why certain games stand out more than others. Good gameplay is always a must but if a game has a compelling story and memorable characters due to cutscenes then I don’t see how that can be a negative. 

I love indie games but 95% of them are roguelikes, platformers, metroidvanias or survival games so the same thing can be applied to them but that doesn’t bother me as it’s not about formulas or who’s copying who as every single game ever created shares similarities, it’s the execution that matters. 

Edited by NaseemJohn
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, fbdbh said:

New IPs are almost nowhere to be found (I mean after Bloodborne and Horizon, I thought there will be more)

I mean if you look a little harder there have been a lot more, Resogun and Until Dawn, Detroit: Become Human only came out last year, Days Gone is a month away, Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima are in the pipeline. Then not exactly brand new IPs but some great stuff has been releasing that for a lot of people might as well be a brand new IP. These include Shadow of the Colossus, Wipeout Omega Collection etc. Forgive me but fucking dare I say it, I even had a decent enough time with Knack 2! 

If you look at all this now and then compare with the mentioned GoW, Last of us, Uncharted and stuff (which I think are vastly different anyway), surely you can't still believe they are similar and don't offer different experiences.

If they are the same, please show me where Nathan Drake climbs a colossus and stabs it, and Kratos flies around a Wipeout track piloting a FEISAR speed, because that sounds epic haha

• Like 1

Compared to PS3 they are doing 10 times better, I mean, was PS3 beating Xbone 360? Nope.

And both lost to the Wii, so what are you trying to say? This thread is not talking about sales but the games and the creativity. And in that regards the games on the PS3 were much better and established countless franchises which amazed millions of gamers. Just think about AC, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skate, Dead Space, Dark Souls, Ni No Kuni, Bioshock, Borderlands, Uncharted etc. which have a cult following.

And I am not even talking about successors which started on other platforms but reinvented the formula like Fallout 3, Far Cry 3, Street Fighter 4, Tomb Raider Reboot and other franchises which were smaller but great in terms of qualities or ideas. The PS4 is a good console but games wise a typical product of it's time and a reflection of the awful state games have right now. Especially the beginning of the console was not great where pretty much everything was overhyped crap like Evolved, The Order, Watch Dogs, Star Wars Battlefront and so on. Furthermore the disappointment in games skyrocketed, cause developers barely put their heart in it anymore (looking at you Blizzard, Bioware and Bethesda). I am not even blaming Sony but the industry has changed for the worse, since gaming became the most profitable market out there. Right now I am still enjoying games but that barely takes place in the AAA segment. At the same time I am also not saying that there are no good AAA games anymore.

Agree with OP and am in far too late to quote people because odds are they've already been quoted 20 times anyway.

But yeah, outside of Spider-Man, I've had zero reason to own a PS4 these last 3 years since buying an Xbox, and then when the Switch came out I lost a lot of reason to have either a PS4 or Xbox. Now I have my darling Switch for the majority of my games, my Xbox for third party games, Game Pass, 4 games a month on Gold rather than just 2 through Plus, backward compatibility (which is the bulk of what I use the thing for), the better controller and online, and so on. And assuming these rumours that I don't reeeeeally believe pan out, I might get a lot of my Xbox stuff on my Switch too, further hammering the nail in Sony's coffin.

I do have Spider-Man for PS4 though, that's...I mean it's pretty cool. But I could just play the better one from 2004 anyway. 

The only thing I want the PS4 to do at this point, is start that rumoured digital games trading stuff, so I can trade in all my shit, collect some dosh, and never touch the thing again.

I was an avid Steam gamer for many years. I mostly played PC games from 2007 to 2014, I finally stopped because I was tired of having to buy computer specs to run the newer games so I opted for a PlayStation 3. 

Personally I am at the point where I couldn’t care less what comes out. They can stop making games for an entire year and I’ll be satisfied because I have a big backlog that is full of unplayed games, both old and new. 

I think we will have to admit that a good number of us here are in our 30s and older, with many years of gaming experience. Thus reaching a certain level of satisfaction is more difficult and we are harder to please. 

As much as I love games like Axiom Verge, I realize that targets a niche audience and a lot of people probably think it’s a nostalgic filled adventure. 

But no matter how much people say that Days Gone is going to be fucking awesome, I just can’t be all too excited about it. 

The industry doesn’t target people like me anymore so much, it’s targeting today’s high school kids and young college aged students. Which I will state are just as obsessed with today’s 4K AAA games just like I was obsessed with the PlayStation 2. But having been down that road before, there isn’t as much that jumps out at me. 

I may opt for a Switch this summer and play some good old fashioned Super Smash Bros. Sounds more appealing than to play these multi million dollar budget graphics powerhouses only to be disappointed by how shallow the gameplay is. 

They don’t have to be a one hour HBO melodrama, but I guess they do because that’s what sells these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Potent_Delusions said:

Care to explain why? I'm looking forward to this.

Sony made the console. Nazis didn't make the films. Unless you're talking about propaganda ones.

Big difference.

It should be like this:

Company - console

Studio - movie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NaseemJohn said:

Resident evil 2 is a survival horror, Shadow of the tomb raider a third person shooter/action adventure, God of war 2018 a third person hack an slash/action adventure, Assassins creed odyssey a action rpg, Spider-Man a beat em up/action adventure, Fallout 76 an online survival/action rpg, Battlefield 5 a first person shooter and Division 2 is a looter shooter/third person online action adventure. I don’t see how anyone who have played those games can think that they all play and feel the same so that statement is far from the truth. Cinematic cutscenes have been around since forever and is one of the reasons why certain games stand out more than others. Good gameplay is always a must but if a game has a compelling story and memorable characters due to cutscenes then I don’t see how that can be a negative. 

What have these games done that make them so great? 

Graphics. That’s the best thing they have. When it comes to creativity there is barely anything. 

Compared to the PS3 which gave us a lot of great franchises, the PS4 has been a disappointment. Games need to have more than fantastic graphics. 

God of War 2018 was a disappointment. Marvel’s Spider-Man is just a better version of what we’ve come to expect from the new Assassins Creed. Fallout 76 is a mess of a game that is online only. Battlefield V hasn’t done too well in sales, and that’s probably good knowing what EA did with Star Wars Battlefront 2. 

For indie games you have Supergiant Games and FuturLab Games who have both given us great titles that aren’t just a rehash of old 8-bit/16-bit era games. There’s more niche games like Yakuza Kiwami that cannot be classified as indie but I’ll be looking forward to giving them a try. 

The Witcher 3 is an indie game. Had Ubisoft, Activision or EA had taken charge of that game we would of seen a ton of padding and pointless collectibles. EA probably would of charged $100 for the damn thing.

1 hour ago, Potent_Delusions said:

Care to explain why? I'm looking forward to this.

Hint: Your answer shouldn't include any confessions to fanboyism etc. I'm looking for an answer with a bit of substance :)

You really want me to explain that the connection the PS4 has to Sony is the same as World War 2 movies to Nazis?

OK. :| 

Besides saying you like the PS4 but don't like Sony shouldn't really need a an analogy to further explain your point. Your post was just so out of place it made me chuckle quite a bit and i just had to make a comment about it.

• Like 1

mmmmmm the industry as a whole is becoming more tiring and predictable these days, thats true but it is exactly why sony exclusives stand out, u say god of war was a disappointment when apart from graphics had better combat system, had better enemies kept you on ur toes and was a thrill with great world building and engaging characters and lore, all the previous games had a simplistic gameplay that was basically just hit stuff ( it was fun nonethless but not deep).

there were truly great games this generation overall over the past years, the industry itself is boring at this point with all sequels, prequels and shituels even then ubisoft managed to make AC good again, capcom got back in the game (no new ips), and usually a new AAA ip is from sony as an exclusive, we had some interesting remakes ( dont care for remasters), the lack of innovation might be a thing, however, when u see games like nier, nioh, sekiro, persona, dying light, hellblade, bloodborne, MHW and you say all are the same and dont feel that much difference this gen, u r clearly in the wrong.

i also agree that censorship is absolute crap !!!

4 minutes ago, Bairuto said:

What's wrong with a good engaging narrative in new games, stories in games are getting better and better, to the point where they're no longer cheesy and typical game stories and can rival big budget movie scripts. Fair enough if you don't enjoy them but as you've said you love Axiom Verge and more nostalgic games, which are good for sure, and offer you something different so no reason to complain about the direction games are heading.

Game developers have been doing this since the beginning of the PS3/360 generation.

Bioshock, Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Heavy Rain, Mass Effect, Dead Space and Assassins Creed all gave us great stories. The PS4 generation is just more of the same.

Just because I have an unpopular opinion doesn't mean I can't speak about it.

8 minutes ago, Bairuto said:

There's no point cherry picking games out of the bunch to push your rhetoric, whenever someone wants to criticise modern games its always the holy trinity of Fallout 76, Battlefield 5 and Battlefront 2. Instead of picking the laziest examples and then saying modern games suck, just try a little harder. As the same for everyone else who has tried to discredit God of War just because they're stuck in the past, God of War 2018 is not a disappointment, it's amazing, not perfect, but certainly not disappointing. If you didn't like it, whatever that's your choice, but maybe change your statement to "I didn't like it" or "wasn't for me", not it was bad or disappointing. You don't speak for the masses

Those games rightfully deserve to get harsh criticism because Bethesda and EA, especially EA have made decisions that are not consumer friendly. Battlefield V hasn't done anywhere as well as Battlefield 1 or Battlefield 4 for that matter, and I think part of that is because of the huge backlash that came when Star Wars Battlefront 2 was released. The game was being returned to Best Buy and other retailers in great numbers.

I never said God of War 2018 was bad for the setting, but it tries too hard to be open world and it lacks the octane thrill that God of War 3 had. I fully understand and admit that there had to be a change because Sony Santa Monica had basically tapped out the Greek mythology setting. But instead of giving us a game where we could of battled great, monstrous beasts they went with the HBO melodrama style of story telling and we spent most of the game trying to reach a mountain to spread some deceased one's ashes. There were maybe two or three instances where I went up against a great beast. The combat was shallow and lackluster. Fighting the Queen Valkyrie was probably my favorite moment in the entire game.

I'm a big God of War fan and I played the first game back when it came out in 2005. I just didn't feel all too pleased with God of War 2018.

Marvel's Spider-Man is a better version of the newer Assassins Creed games but doesn't do anything fantastic on it's own. It's just another open world game with a bunch of side content and collectibles that we have come to know and seen for the past several years.

I hope this clears a few things.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Graphics. That’s the best thing they have. When it comes to creativity there is barely anything. 

Compared to the PS3 which gave us a lot of great franchises, the PS4 has been a disappointment. Games need to have more than fantastic graphics. 

God of War 2018 was a disappointment. Marvel’s Spider-Man is just a better version of what we’ve come to expect from the new Assassins Creed. Fallout 76 is a mess of a game that is online only. Battlefield V hasn’t done too well in sales, and that’s probably good knowing what EA did with Star Wars Battlefront 2. 

For indie games you have Supergiant Games and FuturLab Games who have both given us great titles that aren’t just a rehash of old 8-bit/16-bit era games. There’s more niche games like Yakuza Kiwami that cannot be classified as indie but I’ll be looking forward to giving them a try. 

The Witcher 3 is an indie game. Had Ubisoft, Activision or EA had taken charge of that game we would of seen a ton of padding and pointless collectibles. EA probably would of charged $100 for the damn thing.

Do you expect folks to take you seriously ? 

I find your first ""inquiry"  pathetic. If you cant seem to see the redeeming qualities of modern games, that's on your tired, played out eyes.  Extremely myopic. 

Graphics seem to be fixated on by developers. It's true, It's  also unnecessary.  

With all due respect, you are literally no one to talk about creativity. You are taking a massive shit on so many people, with such little substance to your arguments.

Here, I'll be you.  " Sony is shit because they dont create the games that I want them to, they are in trouble because I enjoyed their past offerings more. Also, Witcher 3 is indie, because I say so. The worlds definition means nothing, just mine". 

Lol.   So very informative and clearly correct. 

How do you expect folks to communicate with you ? You go off of inane logic. 

AC Odyssey has more than enough content to please any person. I would say it competes with Witcher 3, in terms of value. Yet here you are, clinging to a relic of the past. 

Yes, the power of modern consoles could and preferably should be used in different ways, not just graphical fidelity. With that being said,  that's all you have. You offer no other valid, objective points. Just " lol, Fallout 76 is always online, I dont like that".  " Lol, that's a rehash, I don't approve". 

But yeah, Supergiant games is putting in work. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I agree, the Ps3 had (much) more creative and "special" games than the Ps4 but that doesnt mean the gameplay was better/less "shallow".

I mean almost every sequel on Ps4 has better gameplay than its predecessor.

Persona 5, DQ11, Uncharted 4, DS3/bloodborne, etc.

They are smoother, more polished versions of the Ps3 games but I think thats your problem. They are basically the same games ( in terms of gameplay)  as the predecessors.

There is clearly a lack of creativity you dont like and yeah , I can agree with you.

You said it before: "We are harder to please", you are not satisfied with those kinda small improvements.

The real problem is that the gameplay isnt as fresh anymore, because they are too similar.

Now let me give you an advice regarding the yakuza series.?

Start with yakuza 0. In terms of gameplay/game design it is pretty much the same as kiwami, but the mainstory and especially the sub stories are so much better than Kiwami.

Imo yakuza kiwami is the weakest yakuza I played ( even though I prefer the combat of 0/Kiwami over Kiwami 2/Y6) but it is still a good and enjoyable game.

6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I hope this clears a few things.

Things were already pretty clear but sure, don't misunderstand me I'm not confused by your points, I'm not defending EA or their games either, and I don't need a history lesson on why they had trouble in the market and with consumers. God of War still had octane thrill in my opinion, but it was more mature in it's presentation. You fought a huge dragon among other things and other gods and they were amazing, they were just missing the Mountain Dew and Doritos fueled massive combo meters and words flashed upon the screen, as if tackling the god off the mountain and punching him while in freefall while Atreus is shooting him with arrows wasn't octane thrills. If you want this type of presentation so badly, Devil May Cry 5 just came out and can offer you just that, since God of War is a 'HBO melodrama' now.

I do understand your point of view about open world games, I agree there is a saturation of them, but I can look past that if I enjoy the game enough, which usually I do, and if I ever feel like something more linear, there's a massive catalogue for that as well. So in my opinion I really think people complain for the sake of it and they really get more than they deserve in a lot of cases, but that's just me, also to clear up this statement, I mean people complaining about particular games, not your battlefield or fallout.

Fallout 76 coming out as a buggy mess, or Anthem is fair, complaining that Spider-man is another open world game, when Spider-man would suck as anything other than an open world game is nitpicking.

7 hours ago, Potent_Delusions said:

You can like the console but dislike the company that made it. I like films about World War 2...doesn't mean I like the Nazis, despite them being an instrumental part of something I like. 

"Donny, you're out of your element." 

B)

Edited by PerryToxteth

4 minutes ago, Tropikal said:

Do you expect folks to take you seriously ? 

I find your first ""inquiry"  pathetic. If you cant seem to see the redeeming qualities of modern games, that's on your tired, played out eyes.  Extremely myopic. 

Graphics seem to be fixated on by developers. It's true, It's  also unnecessary.  

With all due respect, you are literally no one to talk about creativity. You are taking a massive shit on so many people, with such little substance to your arguments.

I'm not asking anybody to blindly support my opinions.

But if I make a negative opinion on modern games of say, the last two years, suddenly I can't see the redeeming qualities?

Graphics don't make a game on their own. They don't mean anything if the game plays and runs like shit, because gameplay is the most important factor.

I never said I was a creative consultant. But you can do better than to outright just flat out insult me.

7 minutes ago, Tropikal said:

Here, I'll be you.  " Sony is shit because they dont create the games that I want them to, they are in trouble because I enjoyed their past offerings more. Also, Witcher 3 is indie, because I say so. The worlds definition means nothing, just mine". 

Lol.   So very informative and clearly correct. 

How do you expect folks to communicate with you ? You go off of inane logic. 

AC Odyssey has more than enough content to please any person. I would say it competes with Witcher 3, in terms of value. Yet here you are, clinging to a relic of the past. 

Yes, the power of modern consoles could and preferably should be used in different ways, not just graphical fidelity. With that being said,  that's all you have. You offer no other valid, objective points. Just " lol, Fallout 76 is always online, I dont like that".  " Lol, that's a rehash, I don't approve". 

But yeah, Supergiant games is putting in work.

Look the game up. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is an indie game, it's not in the same category as Destiny 2 or Red Dead Redemption 2.

I enjoyed Bloodborne, The Order: 1886 and Until Dawn, among other Sony's offerings. I didn't like Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War that much at all. So does that mean I'm too self entitled because I don't like what Sony has done this past year?

More content doesn't equal better. If Assassins Creed Odyssey is like other Ubisoft games they probably padded it full of junk and made you go after a bunch of sidequests.

So what relic of the past am I clinging onto?

Read up on Fallout 76. I don't need to make a textbook definition on why so many people criticized Fallout 76, and Bethesda's unwillingness to listen to their fanbase.

Supergiant Games is putting in work. At least there's one sentence you wrote that isn't an insult.

4 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

As a gamer in my late 30's, I'm quite frankly fed up of being swept up in this generalization :facepalm:

Gaming now is more diverse than it has ever been, we are spoiled for choice on the offerings that are available and I definitely don't find it difficult to feel satisfied and pleased with gaming.  

I'm basing off of what the opening post was trying to convey.

If you enjoy this generation of gaming, more power to you. I've just been critical of what Sony has been doing these past two years.

Not that I care about any of the E3 events or other such shows that will be around this summer, because I stopped watching those a long time ago.

Edited by Spaz