Getting really tired of this generation and Sony

fbdbh

28 minutes ago, GoDBoss173 said:

I agree, the Ps3 had (much) more creative and "special" games than the Ps4 but that doesnt mean the gameplay was better/less "shallow".

I mean almost every sequel on Ps4 has better gameplay than its predecessor.

Persona 5, DQ11, Uncharted 4, DS3/bloodborne, etc.

The only sequels you listed that I can say were probably better are Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne.

Uncharted 4 was more story driven and cinematic than anything else. The PS3 Uncharted games had more gunfights between "breathing" sections even though they were all shorter in length than Uncharted 4. The gameplay was also more arcade like, Uncharted 4 was basically going for the whole realism angle, showing off the power of the Playstation 4. Sony at E3 did this wonderfully, including the mistake they made where they had Nathan Drake standing still at a certain location, which later turned into a trophy you can earn.

The game had an very slow start and it left me with a bad impression. In ways I prefer the older Uncharted games to Uncharted 4 and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

I haven't played the other sequels you mentioned, so I can't comment on those.

25 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I'm not asking anybody to blindly support my opinions.

But if I make a negative opinion on modern games of say, the last two years, suddenly I can't see the redeeming qualities?

Graphics don't make a game on their own. They don't mean anything if the game plays and runs like shit, because gameplay is the most important factor.

I never said I was a creative consultant. But you can do better than to outright just flat out insult me.

Look the game up. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is an indie game, it's not in the same category as Destiny 2 or Red Dead Redemption 2.

I enjoyed Bloodborne, The Order: 1886 and Until Dawn, among other Sony's offerings. I didn't like Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War that much at all. So does that mean I'm too self entitled because I don't like what Sony has done this past year?

More content doesn't equal better. If Assassins Creed Odyssey is like other Ubisoft games they probably padded it full of junk and made you go after a bunch of sidequests.

So what relic of the past am I clinging onto?

Read up on Fallout 76. I don't need to make a textbook definition on why so many people criticized Fallout 76, and Bethesda's unwillingness to listen to their fanbase.

Supergiant Games is putting in work. At least there's one sentence you wrote that isn't an insult.

Dude, the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt isn't a indie game. How the hell did Gerlt end up in collabs with MHW? Or appearing as a guest fighter in Soul Calibur 6 if you think Witcher 3 is a indie game?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, soultaker655 said:

@fbdbh Sorry you feel this way, maybe you are just tired of/have outgrown Sony/Mainstream video games. However, gaming is bigger and better than it's ever been with more options for everyone to enjoy what they like. Branching out to something besides Sony may be good for you. However, you should really should have just kept this to a status update.

@Spaz Just because you hate gaming doesn't mean other people do. So suck it up and just keep all that useless nonsense you type out in these types of threads in a status update.

I fully understand what he's saying. I agree with most of the points he is making.

Yes, there is something for everyone. This thread is mostly on what Sony has done these past couple years as I strongly believe they are moving away from E3 and other livestream events in preparation for the Playstation 5. I haven't found their latest exclusives to be all that great, and this is coming from someone who used to absolutely love their games.

I never said I hate gaming. But you can't let go of when somebody is being vocal.

9 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

Dude, the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt isn't a indie game. How the hell did Gerlt end up in collabs with MHW? Or appearing as a guest fighter in Soul Calibur 6 if you think Witcher 3 is a indie game?

CD Projekt Red is an independent developer. The publisher had no stake with the developer.

That is not the same as Naughty Dog. They are owned by Sony. Bioware was an independent developer before EA bought them out. ZeniMax Media owns Bethesda.

Indie doesn't necessarily mean low budget, retro old school style games.

19 minutes ago, GTRP_Lancerlover said:

Creating a new IP from the ground up is probably really hard. I'd be more than happy to see a new 3D Rayman or Beyond Good & Evil 2 from Ubisoft instead of the constant stream of Assassin's Creed titles.

Ubisoft took a year's break from releasing an Assassins Creed game, which I gave them a little respect for.

But now they're re-releasing Assassins Creed 3 and Liberation. Not really anything I care about nor plan to buy.

I actually really like the way Sony has handled this generation. They've managed to recover from their slow Ps3 launch and comprehensively overtake their main competitor as the premier gaming platform for now. My one gripe with the company however, has been their inability/unwillingness to add backwards compatibility on the ps4 to support legacy titles that cannot be played anywhere else but the ps3. This is an aspect that I think that the guys at Microsoft have really nailed. Obviously, I'm giving them a pass this time due to the sheer difficulty of having to cater for the radically different cell processor but should this trend continue onto the next generation, it will reveal the sheer greedy corporate nature of the company that really goes against their slogan "For the players" Because i'm honestly starting to get sick of the word "remastered" being slapped onto the end of every legacy title of the previous generation which just screams cash grab. As for the exclusives, I can see that they're leaning more towards the narratively driven cinematic side of things and focussing less on gameplay aspects. I'm perfectly fine with this, the games to me are still very enjoyable in their own right but I get that they may not be everyone's cup of tea.  

I skimmed the thread, and I think most that know me know that I have a very different viewpoint on games that most. I dislike most open world games. I don't care much for 2d platformers. I rather play turn based JRPGs with skippable animations. However, regardless, as some ppl said, what matters at the end for these businesses is not your or my viewpoint, it is money, so let's break this down.

In Sony's latest financial report (at time of writing) (https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/18q3_supplement.pdf), Sony did not have a 10 million seller. Spiderman their top seller last Christmas sold 9 million copies, and if you want to see the fate of other exclusives, you can check page 9. 

In comparison, Nintendo's latest financial report (at time of writing) (https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190131_2e.pdf), Nintendo had 2 10 million sellers in Christmas alone (to make a total of 5 10 million sellers on the Switch....). With an install base 1/3-1/4 the size of Sony's, Nintendo definitely looked more impressive to shareholders than Sony did.

If you think about it, only 1/8th to 1/9th of PS4 owners bought Spiderman, so you're definitely not alone in not caring for the game (and everything else you mentioned did worse). However, Spiderman is definitely the most successful thing Sony has made of late, and the numbers show. On the other hand, Smash sold more in 1 month than Spiderman sold in 3 months, so will Sony try to imitate that, who knows? Also, you have to remember that AAA games take time to make. Horizon supposedly took 6 years to make, so to even react to the current market, it will take time. Sony bought out a lot of studios, but I doubt we'll see any results soon. However, if you want your voice to be heard, vote with your wallet (or start becoming a major shareholder and get yourself a board seat)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MATT_THE_FLY said:

I actually really like the way Sony has handled this generation. They've managed to recover from their slow Ps3 launch and comprehensively overtake their main competitor as the premier gaming platform for now. My one gripe with the company however, has been their inability/unwillingness to add backwards compatibility on the ps4 to support legacy titles that cannot be played anywhere else but the ps3. This is an aspect that I think that the guys at Microsoft have really nailed. Obviously, I'm giving them a pass this time due to the sheer difficulty of having to cater for the radically different cell processor but should this trend continue onto the next generation, it will reveal the sheer greedy corporate nature of the company that really goes against their slogan "For the players" Because i'm honestly starting to get sick of the word "remastered" being slapped onto the end of every legacy title of the previous generation which just screams cash grab. As for the exclusives, I can see that they're leaning more towards the narratively driven cinematic side of things and focussing less on gameplay aspects. I'm perfectly fine with this, the games to me are still very enjoyable in their own right but I get that they may not be everyone's cup of tea.  

I definitely understand that it took Sony a long time to recover from their horrid Playstation 3 launch which left them at a great disadvantage compared to the Xbox 360, which was at the time the console everybody wanted to get.

Then there was the May 2011 PSN outage that left Sony in a bad position because they were exposed. To make up for what happened they offered free games for everyone who had to suffer through that.

From what I've seen from Sony so far these past couple years I am starting to think that their greed is getting the better part of them.

I for one am tired of all the remasters that we have gotten this generation as a majority of them just scream "cash grab". Playstation Now is the only viable way to play a lot of those older games in their original form.

Some remasters have gotten a much need retouching with better frame rate and better performance. Some were just lazy, like what Ubisoft did with the Ezio Trilogy which was pretty much the exact same fare, and I noticed no notable performance upgrade because the framerate was still at 30 frames per second.

I enjoyed the earlier PS4 exclusives more. Bloodborne, which I think is still the best PS4 exclusive of them all, The Order: 1886 and Until Dawn both did their job nicely. Since Uncharted 4 I feel that that's really what Sony has been working on, without trying to do much with anything else that isn't a narratively driven cinematic game with impressive graphics.

Edited by Spaz

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

I fully understand what he's saying. I agree with most of the points he is making.

Yes, there is something for everyone. This thread is mostly on what Sony has done these past couple years as I strongly believe they are moving away from E3 and other livestream events in preparation for the Playstation 5. I haven't found their latest exclusives to be all that great, and this is coming from someone who used to absolutely love their games.

I never said I hate gaming. But you can't let go of when somebody is being vocal.

CD Projekt Red is an independent developer. The publisher had no stake with the developer.

That is not the same as Naughty Dog. They are owned by Sony. Bioware was an independent developer before EA bought them out. ZeniMax Media owns Bethesda.

Indie doesn't necessarily mean low budget, retro old school style games.

...Then explain why Gerlt was in a Monster Hunter World collab event or in Soul Calibur 6 if you claimed CD Projekt Red is an independent developer and the Witcher 3 is a indie game.

21 minutes ago, bladesoframen said:

I skimmed the thread, and I think most that know me know that I have a very different viewpoint on games that most. I dislike most open world games. I don't care much for 2d platformers. I rather play turn based JRPGs with skippable animations. However, regardless, as some ppl said, what matters at the end for these businesses is not your or my viewpoint, it is money, so let's break this down.

In Sony's latest financial report (at time of writing) (https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/18q3_supplement.pdf), Sony did not have a 10 million seller. Spiderman their top seller last Christmas sold 9 million copies, and if you want to see the fate of other exclusives, you can check page 9. 

In comparison, Nintendo's latest financial report (at time of writing) (https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190131_2e.pdf), Nintendo had 2 10 million sellers in Christmas alone (to make a total of 5 10 million sellers on the Switch....). With an install base 1/3-1/4 the size of Sony's, Nintendo definitely looked more impressive to shareholders than Sony did.

If you think about it, only 1/8th to 1/9th of PS4 owners bought Spiderman, so you're definitely not alone in not caring for the game (and everything else you mentioned did worse). However, Spiderman is definitely the most successful thing Sony has made of late, and the numbers show. On the other hand, Smash sold more in 1 month than Spiderman sold in 3 months, so will Sony try to imitate that, who knows? Also, you have to remember that AAA games take time to make. Horizon supposedly took 6 years to make, so to even react to the current market, it will take time. Sony bought out a lot of studios, but I doubt we'll see any results soon. However, if you want your voice to be heard, vote with your wallet (or start becoming a major shareholder and get yourself a board seat)

Investors and stockholders don't focus on whether or not there's a game that hit 10 million units sold is on the yearly finical report. That's you twisting the data.

Sony's revenue was was $76.896B

Nintendo's 2018 revenue was $10B.

The two are on completely different trajectories. One has market share and looking to retain it while the other is a trying to recapture the shares they lost with their last console. It isn't about attach rate of individual games to shareholders. Shareholders will look at all segments a company is in and the correlating performance. Could individuals game sales matter to a shareholder? Sure. However, another shareholder could be more interesting service based income/subscriber counts. While another may want to make sure Sony's semiconductor and imaging lines are still intact.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bladesoframen said:

Is that counting digital sales? Because Switch owners are much less likely to buy games digitally than ps4 owners for sure.

56 minutes ago, Kezzai said:

Is that counting digital sales? Because Switch owners are much less likely to buy games digitally than ps4 owners for sure.

All sales

57 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Investors and stockholders don't focus on whether or not there's a game that hit 10 million units sold is on the yearly finical report. That's you twisting the data.

Sony's revenue was was $76.896B

Nintendo's 2018 revenue was $10B.

The two are on completely different trajectories. One has market share and looking to retain it while the other is a trying to recapture the shares they lost with their last console. It isn't about attach rate of individual games to shareholders. Shareholders will look at all segments a company is in and the correlating performance. Could individuals game sales matter to a shareholder? Sure. However, another shareholder could be more interesting service based income/subscriber counts. While another may want to make sure Sony's semiconductor and imaging lines are still intact.

Feel free to interpret it however you wish. I put my bets, and you can put yours.

8 minutes ago, bladesoframen said:

Feel free to interpret it however you wish. I put my bets, and you can put yours.

I am not really interpreting the financial reports. I am stating that the single matter of having a game hit 10 million units sold is a weird thing to focus on when looking over a report that covers revenue generated from thousands of other products/services.

You can interpret however you like but people will look at your interpretation and point out how myopic it is. You can still repeat that mistake however many times as you please.

Edited by TJ_Solo

I totally get this, and more of in a general way, hence why I never picked up any of the current-gen consoles. I've watched some gameplay of a few PS4/Xbone games, and sure did find a few really good ones, but not enough to warrant picking up either of those consoles. Most have this certain "feel", where it focuses heavily on really amazing graphics and go for a lot of cinematic cutscenes, but eh gameplay and story (not presentation.) Not sure if it's just the fact that it's hard to do anything truly unique anymore, or if it's just the companies burning out or whatever. Honestly, I've been focusing on the PS3 and PS2 a lot lately, and am having a blast with those libraries, same as older consoles like the Genesis, too. I've just visited my local used game shop, and found some really good PS3 games for dirt that I've never really thought of playing before; so glad I did, tons of fun. ^^ 

And then there are the updated rereleases, where they just kind of up the resolution and/or framerate, and don't do that much of a good job, half the time. The difference between the PS2-PS3 was greater, since it was "HD" and supported widescreen, whereas PS2 didn't before (though some did widescreen), but the jump from PS3-PS4 isn't big enough for me to feel the need to rebuy them. I know it has a lot to do with the fact that it isn't backward compatible, and a lot of people sell/trade their previous console for the new one, so rereleases are good for that reason, but I always keep the previous-gen console, so it's rather pointless for me. Sometimes it just feels like there are too many rereleases and not enough new games or IPs (I know that rereleases are often a safe way to make money.) 

But yeah, I agree. This gen just didn't do it for me, and I doubt the next will, either; none of them really stood out to me, aside from like 3-5 games. I'll just stick with the older consoles for my gaming needs; too bad they don't have trophies! It's not that PS4/Xbone games really suck or anything, they just don't stand out as much or lack differentiation. I know games cost a lot to make these days, so most AAA companies would rather play it safe than to try something that may end up not selling as well as expected.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

What have these games done that make them so great? 

Graphics. That’s the best thing they have. When it comes to creativity there is barely anything. 

Compared to the PS3 which gave us a lot of great franchises, the PS4 has been a disappointment. Games need to have more than fantastic graphics. 

God of War 2018 was a disappointment. Marvel’s Spider-Man is just a better version of what we’ve come to expect from the new Assassins Creed. Fallout 76 is a mess of a game that is online only. Battlefield V hasn’t done too well in sales, and that’s probably good knowing what EA did with Star Wars Battlefront 2. 

For indie games you have Supergiant Games and FuturLab Games who have both given us great titles that aren’t just a rehash of old 8-bit/16-bit era games. There’s more niche games like Yakuza Kiwami that cannot be classified as indie but I’ll be looking forward to giving them a try. 

The Witcher 3 is an indie game. Had Ubisoft, Activision or EA had taken charge of that game we would of seen a ton of padding and pointless collectibles. EA probably would of charged $100 for the damn thing.

None of those games are praised for their graphics. 

Resident evil 2 is great for the same reasons people love the original one. Tense moments mixed with terrifying atmosphere, puzzles and the survival aspects. It’s also a return to form and the perfect example of a remake done right. Heck I’m not even a huge resident evil fan but I get the appeal and the reasons why it’s loved. 

Tomb raider reboot revived the franchise with an excellent entry and then built on top of that with rise of the tomb raider which are both among the best in the series. 

Great action, exploration, puzzles, interesting characters and a serviceable story. Shadow of the tomb raider is a good game but a disappointment compared to the last two.

It’s funny how you talk about games following the same formulas when all Six god of war games where basically the same yet you seem to have a problem with the reboot which is the breath of fresh air the series desperately needed. Not to mention how simple the combat was and the amount of quick time events that were in those games. God of war reboot has great writing all around, detailed open world, environmental story telling, great combat and even turned kratos who was once a boring one note character into something more complex. Every aspect of this game compliments the other which is why it’s easily the best god of war in my opinion. My only complaint was the lack of memorable boss fights that were present in previous games. Oh and it’s probably the only time I’ve enjoyed going for collectibles, that’s how good the open world is. 

Not only is Assassins creed odyssey one of the best in the series but it’s also one of the best rpgs this generation along with divinity 2 and the Witcher 3. I know that sounds like blasphemy to the usual Ac or Ubisoft hater but it’s the truth. The amount of work that went into creating the insanely detailed world and environment is damn impressive, say what you want about Ubisoft but when it comes to recreating worlds they’re easily among the best. Mix that with engaging combat and over one hundred hours of great content without season pass and here you have an excellent game that can be rough around the edges due to bugs but that’s to be expected with a game this massive. 

Spider-Man is without a doubt the best video game adaptation of the superhero. Combat starts off simple but turns complex once you start unlocking extra gadgets and traversal feels so damn satisfying. The story is also surprisingly very good and in my opinion better than all of the stories told in the movies. Your complaints about the open world activities are spot on and it’s easily the weakest aspect of the game which many critics and fans alike agree on. Those stealth sections were pretty lame as well.

The division 2 is games as a service done right. The first one was an okay game at launch that turned into something great because they took all the feedback then fixed it with updates and expansions. For the division 2 they learned from their mistakes and got all the fundamentals right from the start, that’s why the game is receiving a lot of praise from critics and fans. A lot of people on these forums tend to frown at online games but these games sell well for a reason, there’s a large market out there for online shooters. 

Battlefield 5 is by no means a bad game nor a great one but it’s inferior to its predecessors. Bad marketing and an awful reveal trailer are the reasons why it sold poorly. 

Fallout 76...who the fuck said fallout 76 was a good game? Lmao. 

I just took the time out of my day to explain why those games are considered good/great. Theres a ton of great games out there that have more to offer than just graphics. You picked out some phenomenal games when talking about PS2 era but then proceeded to list ones for the PS4 that aren’t even considered the best this generation has to offer just to push your opinion. Games such as Divinity 2, Persona 5, God of war, Spider-Man, Red dead redemption 2, Nier automata, Horizon zero dawn, Blood borne, Sekiro, Devil May cry 5, Hellblade, The Witcher 3, Monster hunter world, Dead cells, Celeste and I can name many more are all the games you should be mentioning when talking about this generation. They may not be innovative but still outstanding titles that prove it’s not all doom when it comes to modern gaming.

The Witcher 3 has collectibles and three paid expansions but nice try. Even so I don’t get how collectibles mean a game is bad, you do know almost every game has them right? 

I hope you don’t think I have some kind of personal vendetta against you. I simply find it hard to take your opinions seriously when you tend to focus on the negatives and ignore the positive, that’s not constructive criticism. 

Edited by NaseemJohn
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, NaseemJohn said:

Resident evil 2 is great for the same reasons people love the original one. Tense moments mixed with terrifying atmosphere, puzzles and the survival aspects. It’s also a return to form and the perfect example of a remake done right. Heck I’m not even a huge resident evil fan but I get the appeal and the reasons why it’s loved.

This is probably the only game that's serviceable to me. I only played the original Resident Evil 2 in spurts, never got to finish it since I never owned the game and I basically played it at a friends house.

I have the first Resident Evil remake to play through, so I'm not jumping headfirst into the sequel.

Tomb raider reboot revived the franchise with an excellent entry and then built on top of that with rise of the tomb raider which are both among the best in the series. 

Great action, exploration, puzzles, interesting characters and a serviceable story. Shadow of the tomb raider is a good game but a disappointment compared to the last two.

I was never a huge fan of Tomb Raider, in ways I think it's comparable with that of Uncharted, without the humor and male protagonist.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider just basically builds upon what other games have done before. Nothing that really stands out to me.

It’s funny how you talk about games following the same formulas when all Six god of war games where basically the same yet you seem to have a problem with the reboot which is the breath of fresh air the series desperately needed. Not to mention how simple the combat was and the amount of quick time events that were in those games. God of war reboot has great writing all around, detailed open world, environmental story telling, great combat and even turned kratos who was once a boring one note character into something more complex. Every aspect of this game compliments the other which is why it’s easily the best god of war in my opinion. My only complaint was the lack of memorable boss fights that were present in previous games. Oh and it’s probably the only time I’ve enjoyed going for collectibles, that’s how good the open world is.

God of War 1 & 2 are all time classics. Both games were full of octane high thrill action that the series was basically known for.

God of War 3 showcased the power of the Playstation 3 and it was fucking phenomenal back in 2010. Being able to scale up and down the titan Cronos, ripping apart all the vital Greek Gods, and betraying the very being that helped you reach Olympus were all great. The game looked on a completely different level compared to virtually every other game apart from Uncharted 2.

Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta were initially on the PSP. Both games were great on the portable console. Obviously they weren't as grand when they ported over to Playstation 3, but they were still enjoyable.

Ascension is the weakest game in the entire series and this was when Sony Santa Monica decided to give it a rest and focus on making a new game for the new console (Playstation 4).

God of War 2018 has lackluster combat. None of the enemies presented to be any real threat and there was no consistency to them appearing in the first place. In the past games you felt an adrenaline because you were working towards the end of the games and more enemies were appearing. Satyrs are especially noteworthy for any God of War veteran. 

2018's version of Challenge of the Gods was boring and underwhelming.

The best thing God of War 2018 has apart from it's impressive graphics is the story. They tried to make a melodrama out of it, because there are key moments when Kratos son Arteus is upset because he wants to know what happened in his fathers past and he wants to be a competent warrior like him. The Blades of Chaos was an important turn in the story and you learn that the natives that live in this Norse mythology start to find that Kratos is not from their world.

When the story was done I found myself going from location to location finding all the collectibles because God of War 2018 is an open world style game. I don't like a lot of open world games because they become overly repetitive and boring. Red Dead Redemption and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt are two rare exceptions where I feel the open world was done just right. But here in God of War 2018 that open world setting was just there to ultimately pad the game and add a bunch of collectibles nobody really cares about reading and learning.

Kratos was never a boring one note character. I will admit the story was lackluster in God of War 3 but they did a good job with the story in the original game.

Not only is Assassins creed odyssey one of the best in the series but it’s also one of the best rpgs this generation along with divinity 2 and the Witcher 3. I know that sounds like blasphemy to the usual Ac or Ubisoft hater but it’s the truth. The amount of work that went into creating the insanely detailed world and environment is damn impressive, say what you want about Ubisoft but when it comes to recreating worlds they’re easily among the best. Mix that with engaging combat and over one hundred hours of great content without season pass and here you have an excellent game that can be rough around the edges due to bugs but that’s to be expected with a game this massive.

A long game doesn't mean it's good.

Ubisoft is very good about recreating historical settings and putting a little effort into making the characters a bit authentic to the time period. As much as people complain about Assassins Creed Unity, Ubisoft's recreation of Paris, France was very good. It definitely makes you feel like you are in the time period as you are running in the cobblestone streets full of people who are worried about the French Revolution.

In the history department Ubisoft is solid.

Still, I don't like a lot of open world games because they ultimately become incredibly boring and stale. Assassins Creed Black Flag and Rogue I didn't mind as much because it was fun to storm British and French vessels and take over them for loot and adding them to your convoy. Ubisoft fills their games full of pointless collectible crap and a bunch of side missions that don't mean much. I love Assassins Creed Origins for the setting and the graphics but I don't like it trying to be like other open world games.

Assassins Creed has lost a lot of luster and appeal that made it unique. The original game has the best storytelling, but lackluster gameplay. Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood had great music from Jesper Kyd. Nothing I have heard in the series since he left has been as good. Ezio Auditore is still the best and most memorable Assassin.

The Season Pass thing has gotten overly repetitive and Ubisoft is at the forefront with that. It's always a few DLC packs, because otherwise too many people will complain that the games don't have enough.

I would be more happy actually if Ubisoft starting working on a new Rayman game, than to crank out more Assassins Creed games ala the Assassins Creed 3 and Liberation remasters.

Spider-Man is without a doubt the best video game adaptation of the superhero. Combat starts off simple but turns complex once you start unlocking extra gadgets and traversal feels so damn satisfying. The story is also surprisingly very good and in my opinion better than all of the stories told in the movies. Your complaints about the open world activities are spot on and it’s easily the weakest aspect of the game which many critics and fans alike agree on. Those stealth sections were pretty lame as well.

It's Spider-Man's version of Batman: Arkham Knight.

I will give it some credit for it's story but in all honesty Spider-Man has been so overdone in this day and age that I honestly don't really care about the superhero anymore.

We got the Spider-Man trilogy with Tobey Maguire playing the lead, but now we have another trilogy. We got superhero movie after superhero movie and it has really gotten old and stale at this point.

Insomniac Games did a good job with the game. I never said Spider-Man was horrible or it's a truly bad game, I would be crazy to say that. But I'm just wasn't excited about it as a good majority of people were.

And it's another open world style game. Meh. I would of been happy with it being completely linear.

The division 2 is games as a service done right. The first one was an okay game at launch that turned into something great because they took all the feedback then fixed it with updates and expansions. For the division 2 they learned from their mistakes and got all the fundamentals right from the start, that’s why the game is receiving a lot of praise from critics and fans. A lot of people on these forums tend to frown at online games but these games sell well for a reason,  there’s a large market out there for online shooters.

I never cared for The Division.

We got enough online shooters. Destiny 2, Star Wars Battlefront 2, and now Anthem. They were never something I was really into, even back in the day when Counter-Strike was the must have game for PC gamers.

There's no shortage of MOBAs either. League of Legends, DOTA 2, those are just two out of several out there.

Then you have your Overwatch and Paladins type of games.

They're popular with the mainstream and a general audience. Trophy hunters look down upon them because they are online.

46 minutes ago, NaseemJohn said:

Battlefield 5 is by no means a bad game nor a great one but it’s inferior to its predecessors. Bad marketing and an awful reveal trailer are the reasons why it sold poorly.

EA probably deserves to see the game sell poorly. After the shit they pulled with Star Wars Battlefront 2 I think people got the message.

47 minutes ago, NaseemJohn said:

Fallout 76...who the fuck said fallout 76 was a good game? Lmao.

I never said Fallout 76 was a good game.

47 minutes ago, NaseemJohn said:

I just took the time out of my day to explain why those games are considered good/great. Theres a ton of great ps4 games out there that have more to offer than just graphics. I have no clue why you would even mention those games when they aren’t even considered some of the best this generation has to offer.

I mostly play indie games and older AAA games.

I will probably pick up Days Gone at some point but I no longer feel hyped about these games as I used to. If you wait long enough you will get a Game of the Year Edition that not only contains all the DLC and patch files, but is offered at a much cheaper price than the $59.99 tag you will see with most big releases.

Eventually after I finish Beyond: Two Souls I will pick up Detroit: Become Human when it's price tag drops.

Finally, I just have too many games on my backlog to care about most of the new releases. By the time I do the Dark Souls trilogy and get around to Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice there will already be another Soulsborne game. Nioh 2 is already in the works and the first game only came out two years ago, in 2017.

50 minutes ago, NaseemJohn said:

The Witcher 3 has collectibles and three paid expansions but nice try. Even so I don’t get how collectibles mean a game is bad, you do know almost every game has them right?

Not every game has collectibles.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has Gwent cards, which are more interesting than most collectibles and they have an actual purpose to being there. Collectibles in a majority of games are just there to pad them, and by the time you're done collecting you feel underwhelmed.

52 minutes ago, NaseemJohn said:

I hope you don’t think I have some kind of personal vendetta against you. I simply find it hard to take your opinions seriously when you tend to focus on the negatives and ignore the positive, that’s not constructive criticism. 

People took my thread far out of context and that is why I have received status updates regarding my recent behavior.

A ranter focuses more on the negatives than the positives. I see ranters on YouTubers get treated the way I did all the time.

I made it a point that focusing on the leaderboards isn't worth the trouble and I got blasted for it. I simply tried to encourage people that trophy hunting should be for fun, not go after a bunch of games you otherwise would never do and force yourself to do them just to see trophies pop up on your television screen.

• Like 1

On the gaming side: I immensely enjoyed RE2 (the supposedly mediocre Revelations as well), the Soulsborne games and the old Ratchets. This is something I'm still craving. A good, sharp action game with great level design, with the least amount of bullshit, skippable cutscenes, etc. I enjoyed Dragon Quest for its game-purity. So this segment is still viable for me.

Also, God of War possibly pissed me off because it represented a sort of nail in the coffin for a genre I loved on PS2/3 era - Vanquish / Bayonetta / Ninja Gaiden / Devil May Cry / Metal Gear Rising, possibly God Hand, these are the sort of games that are mostly absent from the PS4 era. Devil May Cry 5 is fine, but there used to be so much more. God of War was a clear message that the genre has been replaced with something that I'm not into, and it was replaced with critical acclaim. It's a weird feeling, you see.

I also miss some JRPGs that are esoteric and weird and alien, like Nier(:Gestalt/Replicant) and Rogue Galaxy.

So, I'm coming to terms with how Sony's exclusives work, and I say that let's not bash games for what they are now, but there is clearly some things that are missing and for reasons that are unclear to me, and it's worth investigating, making statements, etc.

(For those saying this should've been a status update, and that this kind of discussion only attracts toxic comments, etc., I'm actually finding other people's feedback on the subject matter helpful and insightful, and I thank you all, this has been bugging me for a while, and with more perspective I can untangle my feelings better, maybe find some direction.)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, soultaker655 said:

@fbdbh Sorry you feel this way, maybe you are just tired of/have outgrown Sony/Mainstream video games. However, gaming is bigger and better than it's ever been with more options for everyone to enjoy what they like. Branching out to something besides Sony may be good for you. However, you should really should have just kept this to a status update.

@Spaz Just because you hate gaming doesn't mean other people do. So suck it up and just keep all that useless nonsense you type out in these types of threads in a status update.

See, that's what I'm arguing. I don't feel like gaming has more options. Obviously it has, because it's a growing industry, but... just an example.

2016/2017. I'm looking forward to Horizon: Zero Dawn. Looks exciting, finally a new IP, finally something interesting. 

Actually 2017. I'm playing Horizon: Zero Dawn. I'm intrigued, but after (and exactly after) the second cauldron I realize that I'm playing Assassin's Creed (or the Witcher 3 / Dragon Age). Again.

And you see, that's the kind of... cognitve dissonance I'm facing year after year this generation. I'm not saying that there are not enough diverse games, but somehow games that only innovate on the cinematic / set piece front, get all the praise. And it distorts the industry in a way that some genres are actually disappearing, as mentioned above with the God of War example.

I just want a healthy discussion about this, I want to see how other people feel. 

Edited by fbdbh

On 3/26/2019 at 4:41 AM, fbdbh said:

I might be alone with this, or there might be others who feel this way (let me know), but I'm starting to feel some kind of weariness around Sony and this generation of PlayStation games in general.

First, Sony's been absent, or at least distant for a while, not engaging their community in a meaningful way. They're pulling out of E3, cancelling PSX. Their State of Play is underwhelming.

Second, I realized that I'm not enjoying their exclusives either. There's just no diversity there, not the kind I wish to see. The vague genre of "cinematic third person action-adventure" is getting stale and tired, exclusives look more like each other than their own franchises. They're removing gameplay aspects that were unique and fitting to the story, and now every game has the same uniform control scheme and game feel.

Basically, I've been playing Ratchet and Clank, The Last of Us, God of War, and on paper they are vastly different genres (a sci-fi platformer, a realist survival horror, a fantasy hack'n'slash), yet I'm going through the same motions, same pacing, same story beats every time. They're different enough so you can target them towards different audiences, but I don't feel any difference anymore.

Just think about it, during the PS2 era if you played a Tomb Raider, a God of War, a Resident Evil, a Ratchet and Clank, a Metal Gear Solid 3, just remember how they were nothing like each other. And now they are. In so many ways, that they start losing their identity. Setting, dressing, art direction are there as superficial differences, but gameplay-wise, I've been cleaning so much bullshit from open world maps, I've been running and gunning just to arrive to a seamless transition of a cutscene, so much now that... I'm tired. I'm tired of all.

And back to Sony... I feel a lack of innovation, and exciting PS2-PS3 games don't get love (ports, remasters, anything) anymore. Thinking about Resistance and Ratchet again. New IPs are almost nowhere to be found (I mean after Bloodborne and Horizon, I thought there will be more), even third parties are very cautious, and what's worse, Naughty Dog has not produced a new IP for this generation. Let that sink in. There are no more snappy trilogies and fast arriving sequels (say what you want about shallow sequels, but at least we got 3 Resistance, 3 Uncharted, 3 Killzone, etc last gen). Now there are only these big lumbering graphics-vistas that look great, but play shallow and boring and take years to make, but for what? For the same amount of gameplay to be padded out with HBO drama and meaningless collectibles? Eh. (See, Capcom is on fire, on steroids, where's that kind of energy?)

Sony also doesn't seem to speed up progress on what the community is craving, the PSN ID change, maybe some kind of backwards compatibility... it's all just meh.

Sure, this kind of negativity in me might disappear once news start rolling out about the PS5, but still. Meh. For me, PS4 is getting... really stale and uninteresting, and that's not just a generation-ending feeling, because I'm still finding exciting, diverse and unique stuff on PS3 (not to mention the sadly small, but amazing PS2 section on the store), even if they lack the stark blue skies and stable framerates of the PS4. Starting to gravitate towards Nintendo or whatever.

Dunno... how about you?

There's a lot here, so naturally I agree with some of it, but not all. I think Sony's exclusives have been top-notch this generation.

You mention Tomb Raider during the PS2 era, but I remember Tomb Raider sucking pretty bad for a long time. GoW was great, but GoW was great on PS4 as well. Resident Evil wasn't even on Sony consoles for the most part in the PS2 era (RE4 was a gamecube exclusive, I think). I deplore MGS3, personally. 

That being said, Sony has certainly grown arrogant with their success, and their new censorship policies lack any common sense at all for me. At first, it was protecting children by censoring fictitious kiddie porn. But now, we have lens flares blocking out lady parts on DMC for no reason except...nude women are bad? I don't get it.

I'm a huge proponent of backward compatibility, but to be honest, the community as a whole has met this with a collective yawn, and with the appetite of people to buy remakes, remasters, and retreads, why in the world would Sony implement it again? That would make zero sense.

13 hours ago, soultaker655 said:

Opinions that are different than mine belong in status updates!

Good one...

1 hour ago, fbdbh said:

(For those saying this should've been a status update, and that this kind of discussion only attracts toxic comments, etc., I'm actually finding other people's feedback on the subject matter helpful and insightful, and I thank you all, this has been bugging me for a while, and with more perspective I can untangle my feelings better, maybe find some direction.)

You should just ignore those people, and I wish the mods would start warning such troll posts instead of allowing them to control the conversation.

Edited by starcrunch061