Getting really tired of this generation and Sony

fbdbh

9 minutes ago, gavsta72 said:

I haven't got much to say, but the games this gen have been very mediocre at best :(

This.

And I think I know what my deal is; I only truly got into gaming during the mad experimental era, when 3d was very the "IN" thing. The N64, the Dreamcast, the Psx, etc. It seemed there was no shortage of new crazy take on what 3d gaming could do, each to varying degrees of success of course. Honestly, I think it was the Dreamcast that set my standards, for better or worse. That system was host to all sorts of crazy ass arcade ports, and arcade games exist solely for an easily accessible thrill made to show off the hardware. And while the amount certainly lessened after a while, i could always count on games like God of War and it's countless clones and knock offs to keep that spectacle alive. And now, despite the game being very well written and some of the boss battles crazy awesome, I can't even count on that series anymore. I also think it's why the last few games I had any REAL fun with were the KH games and Spiderman.

I still meant what I said, in that modern day AAA games AND indie games seem to follow a checklist being passed around from company to company; ugly realistic graphics with mandatory over the back camera walking and/or sappy stories, or overly simple metroidvania style retro wannabes.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 6:35 AM, Angus1343 said:

Your thoughts don't sound like faults of Sony to me, and rather a reflection on the modern gaming industry as it has stood the past few years in the AAA market and with that I agree wholeheartedly.

this pretty much hits the nail on the head. Everything now feels more like the "play it safe and copy & paste everything". Hence why I play more of the lower budget games and usually only rent the so called "AAA" releases.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Void said:

this pretty much hits the nail on the head. Everything now feels more like the "play it safe and copy & paste everything". Hence why I play more of the lower budget games and usually only rent the so called "AAA" releases.

90% of the games I've played this gen are the PSN/indie games. There's been some real gems :)

• Like 1

Let’s not forget that Sony has overwhelmingly dominated this generation that is now drawing to its end, so it’s understandable they are now carefully preparing the future and letting the PS4 finish on its momentum... Becoming the leader is tough, maintaining oneself as a leader is even tougher.

Personnaly I’m quite pleased with everything I have seen and played so far on this generation, and already have enough backlog & wishlist to keep playing for years. Most of the PS4 exclusives (Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Horizon, God of War, etc.) have been awesome games and generally received excellent critics and commercial success. Not forgetting a bunch of non-exclusive but just as awesome games like The Witcher 3 and so many indy gems...

I’ll keep playing on my PS4 for a while, and the only thing that could have me buy a PS5 shortly after release would be its being backwards compatible...

Edited by Neef-GT5

2 hours ago, gavsta72 said:

I haven't got much to say, but the games this gen have been very mediocre at best :(

Lol what a nutbag you are if you believe this, games this generation have been great, one of the best console generations as far as games go.

2 hours ago, gavsta72 said:

90% of the games I've played this gen are the PSN/indie games. There's been some real gems :)

Lol now I know you’re a nutbag. if you think indie games have been the best, well you’d be just plain wrong.

• Like 1

Well let's be honest, ps3 was a killer of a generation and not likely to be surpassed any time soon.

Although graphics wise it is sometimes an eyesore to go back (although i regularly do), i have the impression that many of the games on ps3 had more 'heart' for lack of a better word.

Many of current gen games (remasters not included) seem pretty generic, and apart from a few heart-warming indies, it all seems to become this mish mash of shooter, run and gun cash-grabs.

Games like TLoU, Borderlands, gta4, dragon age origins, fallout 3, mass effect, infamous,  bioshock and others, are few and far between in this generation... which is probably why there are so many remasters in the first place.

Personally, i dont see it getting any better with the next gen, as making games has become such a risky endeavour that sales surpasses risk/originality.

They forget that those devs that stuck put their necks on the line made it possible for the gaming world to become what it is today...

Oh well, at least on ps5 we'll be able to play lotsa generic crap in 8k ?

• Like 3

"First, Sony's been absent, or at least distant for a while, not engaging their community in a meaningful way. They're pulling out of E3, cancelling PSX. Their State of Play is underwhelming."

This can be attributed to Adam Boyes leaving. Remember the FF7/Shenmue reveal? Tales of Hearts on vita? All those great 90s adventure games like Day of the tentacle? Adam Boyes was a huge pusher of that fan outcry and serving the fans. But he left the company and thats when Sony went right back to their ps3 state of things, of heres some exclusives. later dog

11 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Lol what a nutbag you are if you believe this, games this generation have been great, one of the best console generations as far as games go.

Lol now I know you’re a nutbag. if you think indie games have been the best, well you’d be just plain wrong.

So I'm a nutbag who's plain wrong because I don't think along the same lines as you?

Take the most recent "Sony Exclusive AAA blockbuster" Days Gone, which I see you've been playing. That belongs on the PS3, the graphics and gameplay mechanics are so out dated. Very mediocre yet again.

Also I didn't say the indie games were the best, I said some are real gems, and at a fraction of the cost of the supposed AAA blockbusters.

• Like 2

I get what you are saying. I too see a bit of fatigue in their game designs. That being said, they are (in my own personal opinion) the most engaging way to portray a strong narrative with the playable character. I don't see any issues with that. Games have used it for decades. The new Sony games are just overhauled with detail and proper stories.

Personally, my favourite games are Playstation exclusives. I recently went through my Xbox and Playstation libraries and found no Xbox games that made even my top ten, while the list was topped with God of War, Bloodborne, and The Last of Us. 

An interesting issue in the gaming community is that of playing too quickly. It is especially important in game reviews, but I found my brother also runs into this issue. I believe it is important to take your time and enjoy the world, game mechanics, and story (although, I do have another issue in that it takes me years to actually finish games). As I read through some replies, I found this issue to be more apparent.

God of War 2018 is not just about spreading some woman's ashes. Yes, it does seem basic and bland; however, there are many stories within this game that are linked to the main quest. It's not perfect, no. It sets up sequels a little too much? Certainly. But my advice to everyone is to take time in your games. Listen and pay attention. 

On 5/4/2019 at 3:04 PM, gavsta72 said:

So I'm a nutbag who's plain wrong because I don't think along the same lines as you?

Take the most recent "Sony Exclusive AAA blockbuster" Days Gone, which I see you've been playing. That belongs on the PS3, the graphics and gameplay mechanics are so out dated. Very mediocre yet again.

Also I didn't say the indie games were the best, I said some are real gems, and at a fraction of the cost of the supposed AAA blockbusters.

Lol Nothing In Days Gone “belongs on PS3” whatever that means, the graphics are on par with any other PS4 Exclusive, and the mechanics have never been done the way they are in that game. Yet another Nutbag thing to say.

On 5/4/2019 at 2:01 PM, AJ_-_808 said:

You greatly weaken the legitimacy of your opinion when you tell him that he's a nut bag and his opinion is "just plain wrong".  

Seriously, at this point, you all are just going in circles with "you're wrong, no you're wrong etc"

Lucky for me, I'm easy to please gaming wise, with a healthy mix of AAA and indie games, and a very big stockpile of games I'm slowly getting to.  I can only suggest people try new things if they're getting bored of the usual same old same old.  Or possibly find a new hobby for a while and come back to gaming later

Lol didn’t know there was a thing as a “legitimate opinion”. If I Believe what I’m saying, it’s legitimate.

46 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Lol Nothing In Days Gone “belongs on PS3” whatever that means, the graphics are on par with any other PS4 Exclusive, and the mechanics have never been done the way they are in that game. Yet another Nutbag thing to say.

Lol didn’t know there was a thing as a “legitimate opinion”. If I Believe what I’m saying, it’s legitimate.

Yeah whatever mate. Obviously you're one of those people who thinks they're right, everyone else is wrong, and their opinions don't count.

Best of luck throughout the rest of your life 

*sigh*

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Clearly, your education system failed you then.  There's no point in furthering this, have a good day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Clearly, your education system failed you then

There are people where the best education system would still fail.

Just take a look at how he starts every single paragraph. This is less about age or anything, this is a case of intellackt.

But I guess you were just being polite anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gavsta72 said:

Yeah whatever mate. Obviously you're one of those people who thinks they're right, everyone else is wrong, and their opinions don't count.

Best of luck throughout the rest of your life 

*sigh*

Nah, other people can be right lol. Don’t be so serious.

6 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Clearly, your education system failed you then.  There's no point in furthering this, have a good day.

Nothing failed, no need to insult my intelligence.

5 hours ago, fastflowdaman said:

There are people where the best education system would still fail.

Just take a look at how he starts every single paragraph. This is less about age or anything, this is a case of intellackt.

But I guess you were just being polite anyway.

I typically don’t even type paragraphs worth of text. What’s with you people and insulting people’s intelligence? 

On 5/3/2019 at 11:12 PM, RedRodriguez87 said:

This.

And I think I know what my deal is; I only truly got into gaming during the mad experimental era, when 3d was very the "IN" thing. The N64, the Dreamcast, the Psx, etc. It seemed there was no shortage of new crazy take on what 3d gaming could do, each to varying degrees of success of course. Honestly, I think it was the Dreamcast that set my standards, for better or worse. That system was host to all sorts of crazy ass arcade ports, and arcade games exist solely for an easily accessible thrill made to show off the hardware. And while the amount certainly lessened after a while, i could always count on games like God of War and it's countless clones and knock offs to keep that spectacle alive. And now, despite the game being very well written and some of the boss battles crazy awesome, I can't even count on that series anymore. I also think it's why the last few games I had any REAL fun with were the KH games and Spiderman.

I still meant what I said, in that modern day AAA games AND indie games seem to follow a checklist being passed around from company to company; ugly realistic graphics with mandatory over the back camera walking and/or sappy stories, or overly simple metroidvania style retro wannabes.

My problem is video games have more or less hit a plateau when it comes to innovation. 

What I just said will likely get people to disagree with me, maybe even refute my point, but I think it’s more so the realization that games are becoming less and less original. 

This generation doesn’t hold a candle to the N64/Dreamcast generation when it comes to pushing the limits, showcasing what the new consoles are capable of, and using those ideas to set an example.

There is a reason why games like Diablo 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2 are still being touted as great because they pushed the envelope, and were groundbreaking in their time. Today I see a lot of just the same formula, and like you said, a checklist.

God of War 2018 as I mentioned many times on this website just didn’t impress me. The graphics and the presentation are the best things going for it. In God of War 1 and 2 I immensely enjoyed them from start to finish, they were fun without having to rely on a HBO one hour melodrama script to sell the games. 

Marvel’s Spider-Man is essentially another open world game that follows a big checklist like any other open world game. Like Saints Row 4 and the Assassins Creed games, but at least in Saints Row I can use superpowers to run from place to place so it’s not overly boring. 

It comes down to marketing and shareholders. One reason why the mainstream music industry has been shit this past decade. 

I can’t find anything good about Mainstream Rap music today. Just the same bullshit over and over. Tupac Shakur must be rolling in his grave (I know he doesn’t have a grave but still). 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

Sure I have posted in this thread. But if not, then here goes :D

Whilst this gen has been pretty stale. When it does get it right it gets it really right. God of War, Spider-Man, Witcher 3, Infamous Second Son, the Yakuza remakes.These are truly incredible games and better than any of their genre pre-gens. But there has indeed been a lack of awesomeness. But in my case I put this down to my age and taste, As I have gotten older I would say my genre taste has dwindled and so obviously that makes for very limited gaming. 

But I am really glad I got the PS4 even though it took me about 3-4 years to get one after its original release. The pre-gen 360 and PS3 era was the best gaming I had experienced, with the exception of the current gen games I mentioned.

5 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Sure I have posted in this thread. But if not, then here goes :D

Whilst this gen has been pretty stale. When it does get it right it gets it really right. God of War, Spider-Man, Witcher 3, Infamous Second Son, the Yakuza remakes.These are truly incredible games and better than any of their genre pre-gens. But there has indeed been a lack of awesomeness. But in my case I put this down to my age and taste, As I have gotten older I would say my genre taste has dwindled and so obviously that makes for very limited gaming. 

But I am really glad I got the PS4 even though it took me about 3-4 years to get one after its original release. The pre-gen 360 and PS3 era was the best gaming I had experienced, with the exception of the current gen games I mentioned.

That’s common for people like me who have been playing for over 20 years. 

We’ve seen a lot and eventually it becomes more difficult to please us. 

On 5/4/2019 at 1:04 PM, gavsta72 said:

Days Gone follows a status quo, but you have to be a little foolish to say it’s graphics are anything like most PS3 AAA titles. The difference is literally night and day. 

Personally I think AAA games are the same now as Hollywood blockbusters and mainstream music. Follow the same status quo to attract a bigger general audience. The money invested in these games and movies speaks for itself. It becomes a high risk to invest multi million dollars into a project, so it can’t be too out of the ordinary. 

Much like today’s pop singers who have auto tune and 30 backup singers and some shit coming out of speakers that was done on some guys computer. The music is marketable and it attracts a huge audience because sales matter more than the quality. 

Of course there’s just as much shit in the indie video game market. You just have to dig a bit to find the gems. But I’m a little more content with paying $5 - 20 for a game I know is complete and doesn’t have some shitty sappy story behind it. Knowing that $60 I spent on a new AAA game could of been spent on other things. 

Honestly I just don’t see the point in preordering. Waiting a few months gives you amble time to buy the Complete Edition of a game that has it’s bugs and glitches patched out, making for a better experience for you as the player. 

Seeing Day 1 patches and having to download them at launch day is rather ridiculous to be honest. 

• Like 3

you really should be thankful with the ps4, I wonder what would you say if you only had an XBONE.

this generation is more than good to me, I think it's better than the ps3 Era,  I mean these consoles is going alive and strong with the exclusives and the ps4 is basically the Best this gen on that end, yeah Sony recently pisses a lot of people with the weird censorshiping of a natural M or A rated games but seriously aside from that they're the one that did a far better job than the competition this gen.

and no, I don't count the stupid cross platform play crying out which is really sound stupid that not many people seems to be talking about anymore.

9 hours ago, Spaz said:

Days Gone follows a status quo, but you have to be a little foolish to say it’s graphics are anything like most PS3 AAA titles. The difference is literally night and day. 

Personally I think AAA games are the same now as Hollywood blockbusters and mainstream music. Follow the same status quo to attract a bigger general audience. The money invested in these games and movies speaks for itself. It becomes a high risk to invest multi million dollars into a project, so it can’t be too out of the ordinary. 

Much like today’s pop singers who have auto tune and 30 backup singers and some shit coming out of speakers that was done on some guys computer. The music is marketable and it attracts a huge audience because sales matter more than the quality. 

Of course there’s just as much shit in the indie video game market. You just have to dig a bit to find the gems. But I’m a little more content with paying $5 - 20 for a game I know is complete and doesn’t have some shitty sappy story behind it. Knowing that $60 I spent on a new AAA game could of been spent on other things. 

Honestly I just don’t see the point in preordering. Waiting a few months gives you amble time to buy the Complete Edition of a game that has it’s bugs and glitches patched out, making for a better experience for you as the player. 

Seeing Day 1 patches and having to download them at launch day is rather ridiculous to be honest. 

Maybe the graphics look "crisp" but they are dull and boring. Shades of green and brown is about it

• Like 1