Games That Lived Up to the Hype?

ResoluteRock

While it was relatively under the radar, Rainbow Skies was wonderful.  I loved Rainbow Moon on the PS3, and I had been looking forward to the sequel for years.  When I finally got my hands on it, I loved every minute of playing it.

Other recent games I played and enjoyed:

- Ace Combat 7.

- God of War 2018.

- I know it is 'old', but Horizon Zero Dawn was fantastic.

- While I haven't played it myself, I have loved watching my wife play Kingdom Hearts 3, and she has been really enjoying it.

I too am beginning to lose faith in the gaming industry as a whole, with all the shit that gets made, and the terrible tactics that are used to siphon more money from us, the end users.  That said, There are still absolute gems that are coming out, and it is still enough to keep me happy and entertained in my free time.

• Like 3

God of War definetly, the change of tone in the game really saved the franchise imo.

Devil May Cry 5. It's everything a DMC fan could want and even more. It might even dethrone DMC3 in terms of best DMC .

Bloodborne. Damn Miyazaki didn't screw around when he did that masterpiece. Same can be said about Sekiro , although I didn't try that one yet.

Witcher 3, but I knew almost nothing about the game going into it might have to try the books out now.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow series, older one I know but they did an amazing job of capturing both styles of Castlevania. Part 1 really did feel like a throwback to the Classicvania games while part 2 felt like a Metroidvania. I would love to see these get a re-release on the PS4

Shadow of Mordor, being that I am not a LotR fan I had my doubts for this one but it is a solid game all around.

Akiba's Trip Undead and Undressed this one was a HUGE surprise while I did not expect much from the what little I did see of the game before playing. It was one of the most fun games I have played on PS4 (though it is also PS3) and still is.

If you do not mind me adding a couple of classics to the list

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem this is an Amazing game on Gamecube and one of the main reasons I bought the system. while the combat is nothing stellar the ideas implemented and the story were amazing.

Legacy of Kain series one of the best series in terms of story in games the gameplay is iffy in a couple of entries but overall a great experience.

These are the only games I have played that exceeded the expectations I had of them, most games come out as I expect them.

Edited by Void

Just now, Squirlruler said:

Skies was good, and pretty well lived up to the hype, just not to the levels of BB/MHW ;) Plus, I didn't know of Skies much before I played so wasn't much time to "get pumped" so to speak. Lol

... I wish I could edit your post and correct your acronym.

Other, older games I would like to add to my list.  These titles didn't really have any "hype" for me, as I more or less came across them late, but they still turned out to be lots of fun.

- Overcooked, a fantasticly frantic 4 player party cooking game.  Had great fun playing this with 4 people in couch co-op.

- The Talos Principle, an excellent puzzle game that asked some interesting philosophical questions.

- Valkyria Chronicles, This is an old game that has been re-released, but it was my first experience with it.  And while it had its share of balancing issues, the story was interesting and the gameplay was entertaining.

- Doom.  This game was just made to be fun, and it shows.  Enjoyed it from beginning to end.

- Sexy Brutale.  I don't even know what to say about this.  If you are at all interested in mystery/puzzle games, you definitely should take a look at this.  Great characters, great story, great atmosphere, all around excellent experience.

• Like 1

Final Fantasy XV lived up to the hype (in my opinion) despite the negativity it has.

And I haven't play it yet since I am playing the Kingdom Hearts complation, but I can bet ya that Kingdom Hearts 3 live up to the hype after so many years.

And there's also Dragon Quest XI which was finally released in the west last year, I dunno and it also lived up to the hype.

And finally, there's Marvel's Spider-Man by Marvel and Insomaniac Games, it also lived up to the hype which made the late Stan Lee proud.

While there are those who don't live up to the hype, I believe there are lots of people who hyped up these games.

When I finally got to play The Last Of Us on the ps4 after skipping the last console generation it was pretty much all what people promised to me and more, as I happened to enjoy the multiplayer on top of the great story.

The Witcher 3 is obviously a no brainer, easily lived up to the insane hype around it. Whether you like it or not it is hard to deny that this is one of the best games of the generation, if not of all time.

God Of War was great as well even though the hype around it was not that great in comparison to The Witcher due to some old school fans being concerned about the changes.

These were all the games I played that lived up to the substantial hype that came with them. Other games were good as well but fell a little short, others underdelivered, some even outright disappointed. Generally hype should not be overdone, no one needs another No Mans Sky this generation, but with some studios you can't really go wrong even if you jump onto the hype train.

• Like 1

The first game that comes to my mind is Virtue's Last Reward for which i saw many recommendations here on the forum... completing one story path was great but also hard (finding the optional solution in every escape room was pretty hard)... playing more and more story paths made the game only better...

Besides that The Last Of Us was probably the first game i was hyped about and i enjoyed it greatly :) still one of the best PS3 games i have...

Yeah Uncharted 4 and God of War (4) certainly lived up to the hype, for me though its was DOOM (2016) that surpass my expectation. Not just they went back to the drawing board (its original concept was too generic) but it manage to have surpass Doom 3 and almost the original doom.

Now that's a reboot done right.

A lot of games I've played did not really live up to the hype, but ones that I found did are mostly older games.

Lightning Returns: I know a lot of people did not like this game with the whole time limit thing and only having a solo party member as Lightning, I personally loved this game and really enjoyed all the side quests, freedom of the game, customising Lightning with many different wears, weapons, abilities etc. I liked how the game allowed the player to do so much, and I was happy that the FF13 characters got a happy end after all.

FFXII TZA: The original game didn't fair too well, but this remake was fantastic. The new job system, trial mode and the addition of a lot more weapons without having to rely on just the Zodiac Spear were great. The job system was my favourite part by far. I think I just like customising characters to my own battle style rather than playing along with what the game has decided for you. Another great thing was the x2 and x4 gameplay speeds, made exploring the massive maps in this game so much easier. 

Life is Strange Before the storm: Although this game was strange in many ways plot wise, I loved finding out more about Chloe. She was my favourite character in the first game, and it was fun seeing her as the rebellious teenager that she always was and fighting with everyone. I wasn't a fan of Max tbh, so I actually enjoyed this game more than the first game. Rachel Amber was a bit annoying with her bipolar like behaviour, but this game did uncover a lot of what was a mystery in the first game. 

• 3 months later...

NieR: Automata

L.A. Noire

Life is Strange

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Mortal Kombat X

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon

Assassin's Creed II

BioShock Infinite

Alien: Isolation

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

What Remains of Edith Finch

Assassin's Creed Origins

Oxenfree

Horizon Zero Dawn

Far Cry 3

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Marvel's Spider-Man

Saints Row: The Third

Saints Row IV

Sleeping Dogs

Uncharted 2/3

A Plague Tale: Innocence

Resident Evil 2

My personal opinion. ?

RE2 - I've had about a dozen playthroughs of it and I'm looking forward to a dozen more - very enjoyable plat as well. Not since RE4 have I enjoyed going straight back for another playthrough after finishing a game - it is incredibly addictive thinking of new ways to beat your old times and more efficient ways of taking down the bosses - simply put, a masterclass in survival horror.