I tried to give a homeless man the rest of my salad today

wyansas

There's a homeless man I see on the same corner most days who holds up a sign that just says FOOD in big bold letters. I stopped at the red light at the intersection, called him over, and asked him "You want a salad?" He laughed and gave a gesture that wasn't the middle finger but which said "toss off" or "go f*** yourself" and walked away. I was pretty perplexed at the time, but I guess it was the fact that I was offering my leftovers that offended him. It was a big salad and there was plenty left. Or maybe he just doesn't like salad? Was I in the wrong?

• Like 1

rabbit food o.O

i was wondering about that too.  Salads are thought of as unsubstantial side dishes, and when he heard "salad" it was like I was offering him rabbit food.  But this salad was the bomb.  It was a full meal with chicken and avocado in it.  maybe if i had mentioned that he would have taken it?

Edited by wyansas

That's nothing lol. I once got an extra burger at a Burger King drive thru and on the way out a homeless man asked if I had any money. I handed him the burger to see if he would want that and he threw it on the ground and yelled "I don't want a fucking burger!". Makes me scared to hand homeless people food now lol 

That's nothing lol. I once got an extra burger at a Burger King drive thru and on the way out a homeless man asked if I had any money. I handed him the burger to see if he would want that and he threw it on the ground and yelled "I don't want a fucking burger!". Makes me scared to hand homeless people food now lol 

We wanted money to buy drugs.

Anyways, it's a good gesture, but since everyone here where I live that is a homeless, or his/her son wanted drugs and steal his fathers money, or they want money to buy drugs.

It would be a nice gesture, but seriously, I never give anything to a homeless. I just pass them and ignore them.

I would have at least taken it if I was him. Salads aren't very filling so it could be why he didn't want it.... then again he already tried eating crabgrass and dandelions and it probably wasn't his cup o' tea. Pfft salad  :rolleyes:

Its because they usually have ways to get food. They want booze. Theres a big problem where i live. Lot of people pretend to be homeless tet money

• Like 1

I think, what you did was a very nice gesture, despite it being leftovers.

I think any homeless person would be smart to take it with a smile, being very polite.

If they toss it in the bin later (not ideal, but anyways) that would be one thing, but this way it should be more likely, that someone gives them something else the next time around.

(Well, and then there are those who really just want booze...)

We have a homeless man in town who has a dog.

He's always thankful, if you give him dogfood :)

So we went a bought him some food for the dog and two buns.

He was gone when we wanted to give it to him though, so we put it by his bag.

It's a hit or miss. I wouldn't give up on other homeless people though, just because this one wasn't happy. I gave my food I barely ate from Red Robin to a homeless person. He was extremely thankful. And yes, there was a time after I gave him two dollars, which I rarely give away. You really just never know, but its the chance you take making a nice gesture. I also once, a long time ago, gave a guy on the corner with a sign my extra taco's. He was also thankful. These people without homes have been through more than most of us will ever imagine, so maybe he was just taking out his frustration out on the fact you offered a salad when he could possibly be offered something more satisfying. I have serious doubts he meant any harm, and if he did it was because his own situation. Also, not all are out to want booze, and if they are..that's on them and not you. Let them choose to better their life or harm it but don't deny your hand to help because of assumptions.

• Like 1