[Rumor Proven False]Sony may allow Digital Trade-Ins and Gifting soon.

Wavergray

8 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

As someone who has bought most of this gen digitally, this is ingenious, but there has got to be some sort of limitation. I don't see how Sony goes positive with this feature in place.

For trade in's at least, you'll probably get pennies for the games and in the form of PSN wallet credit... which only ensures those trade in's turn into future PSN purchases.  I can see where that benefits Sony.  Not to mention the number of people who will trade in games thinking "I'm never going to play this again" just to turn around and re-purchase it for full price a few months later when DLC gets released or their buddies start playing it again or something.

This also jives with Sony's recent moves to pull all PSN vouchers/purchase-ables from retail stores... further ensuring traffic directly to their storefront.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

It would be interesting to see how they determine what your value is on digital trade ins. Especially taking in price vs age and the fact that a digital game can't wear down and break like a disc. (which would take far more abuse than most responsible people will ever cause)

Sending a game as a gift seems like a cool idea, but it reminds me of my friend really wanting to play Dead Space 3 with me in co op and he basically just gave me the PSN money to buy it since I couldn't at the time. (it's an extra step but people really do have a thing about extra button clicks lol)

This would be amazing to have! i currently only buy digital games if there's a massive 70-90% PSN sale like they had at New Years etc., and if the game is cheaper is cheaper than a used physical. Otherwise I just stick to used physicals from Amazon and wait around for price drops and sales. 

I think if they allow trade in digitals, sales would increase for digitals and possibly decrease for physicals, which might leave Gamestop out of the water soon but they were never the best game shop anyway. I wouldn't mind trade in psn credit, as I don't plan on giving up gaming any time soon. 

Gifting games would be great too instead of having the option of only psn vouchers. 

• Like 2

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=2&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1="SONY+INTERACTIVE+ENTERTAINMENT+AMERICA+LLC"&OS="SONY+INTERACTIVE+ENTERTAINMENT+AMERICA+LLC"&RS="SONY+INTERACTIVE+ENTERTAINMENT+AMERICA+LLC"

This is the source link from the PSLS article. This has absolutely nothing to do with selling or trading digital games. It's for turning physical collectibles into digital representations, then THOSE can be modified and transferred. Much like Amiibos.

This system needs to happen and would be very easy to do. It would entise more people to buy digital copies of games. Even if you got hardly anything for a game it would still help towards a new game, because at the minute people have tons of games that have been platinumed and have mostly no use what so ever. 

That be nice I guess. Have a lot of digital stuff bought and platted that I wont ever play anymore. Would like to gift to some buddies. I dont know what the buyback is from Sony if so though. If their worse than Gamestop then forget it. Hahaha 

Also would be nice to have a digital rental service.  Say $15/mo allows 1 game, 20$/mo 2 games out. Sorta like Gamefly but with digital.

26 minutes ago, yowzagabowza said:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=2&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1="SONY+INTERACTIVE+ENTERTAINMENT+AMERICA+LLC"&OS="SONY+INTERACTIVE+ENTERTAINMENT+AMERICA+LLC"&RS="SONY+INTERACTIVE+ENTERTAINMENT+AMERICA+LLC"

This is the source link from the PSLS article. This has absolutely nothing to do with selling or trading digital games. It's for turning physical collectibles into digital representations, then THOSE can be modified and transferred. Much like Amiibos.

(Press X to doubt)

The idea of gifting is a wondrous thing indeed. However, you can count on the feature being limited to two accounts that connect to the same regional storefront. Meaning, your friend from Japan most likely won't be gifting you games onto your American account.

tenor.gif?itemid=12069368