New Game Plus?

@Feral Not looking to get into an argument but still a little confused about your dislike of the trend after reading through this. I know you mentioned it takes away the challenge but surely the player’s already challenged themselves by beating it the first time and this is just a type of reward? Do you think of chapter select the same way since it’s a shortcut through the game? You also talked about it being useful for harder difficulties which is true but that also surely takes away some of the challenge if that’s your concern.

With an easy game such as Spider-Man I found the replay more fun because I had access to a bunch of new suits that I could see in cutscenes; many of these suits only unlocked at the tail end of main story or DLC and only being able to wear them for post-game stuff would’ve gotten old more quickly. I’d imagine that’s what makes NG+ such a popular feature generally, people just want a different experience for their second run, whether that’s to do with appearances, abilities or just having more items (like with TLOU). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Did I ever say Rockstar should be forced to put in NG+? No. I'm suggesting it as a feature and if it's feasible then they should consider.

From the general attitude you're expressing it sure sounds like to me you're trying to enforce it.

Somebody with a cool and level head about it would keep their calm and politely suggest New Game Plus, instead of crying like a child about it once someone came in with an opposing opinion.

For your sake I hope you don't become a journalist or a politician. It's clear as day you're not mature enough to handle either profession.

RDO was a big deal in RDR1 but it's still overshadowed by the SP. It is not irrelevant whatsoever. A lot of people want to play as Arthur again but don't want to lose everything - why is that so hard for you to understand?

Then maybe this should of been a discussion about changing the way the story missions are played, because in other games as far as I remember you still kept the gear and equipment you earned through story progression.

I completely understand what you're saying. You're the one who doesn't understand that not every game needs New Game Plus.

You're telling me to grow up, yet you're the one that was bickering to me about how you hate Carlos in my DMs when I've never even encountered you before. Now that's childish. Funny how you're all of a sudden against me out of no where, like okay.

That was last summer. He was being a bitch who called out on his subscribers and followers a bunch of losers and morons after he had promised his viewers he was going to upload more video content when he was trying to get people to help with his videos.

Then he goes and deletes the videos he made just weeks and months prior and last time I checked he closed down his YouTube channel. I watched enough of his streams for a year or two to know that you were a frequent viewer of his, so I felt I wanted to vent about it, albeit a little immaturely.

I don't think any of us know each other in real life. We just share a common passion, we enjoy trophy hunting. That's where our similarities end.

You, like that Feral dude, are acting like NG+ is a bad thing. How can you describe it as "tacked on?" How can you make a BAD NG+? It makes no sense. It's on option for those that want to utilize it. Simple as that. 

Lastly, what does “RDR2 being long enough” have ANYTHING to do NG+? No one is making the argument that it’s too short, and that NG+ is require do to fill a void of content. The main appeal towards NG+ in this case is, as I’ve said dozens of times before, to play as Arthur again. 

I think a number of us don't want New Game Plus because that adds more trophies to something that many people would rather not play a second time.

Games like Marvel's Spider-Man and Far Cry 5 weren't that hard to begin with, yet both went with New Game Plus and from what I heard it does really nothing.

I can understand the Dark Souls series and other franchises implementing their New Game Plus well, not only did they add new additions to the games beyond the first playthrough but they also reward the player.

If you want a good example of New Game Plus done right, the Ratchet and Clank reboot offers a Bolt Multiplier. You can further upgrade your weapons to Omega and you can obtain tons of bolts if you had say a x20 Bolt Multiplier. Those additions still make the game enjoyable and fun to play without overstaying it's welcome.

But since when did Red Dead Redemption 2 have a void of content? There's plenty for you to do in the single player. I never heard anybody cry about there wanting to be a New Game Plus for the original Red Dead Redemption, and because of the way the game was designed having that option was completely unnecessary.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Charizarzar said:

@Feral Not looking to get into an argument but still a little confused about your dislike of the trend after reading through this. I know you mentioned it takes away the challenge but surely the player’s already challenged themselves by beating it the first time and this is just a type of reward? Do you think of chapter select the same way since it’s a shortcut through the game? You also talked about it being useful for harder difficulties which is true but that also surely takes away some of the challenge if that’s your concern.

With an easy game such as Spider-Man I found the replay more fun because I had access to a bunch of new suits that I could see in cutscenes; many of these suits only unlocked at the tail end of main story or DLC and only being able to wear them for post-game stuff would’ve gotten old more quickly. I’d imagine that’s what makes NG+ such a popular feature generally, people just want a different experience for their second run, whether that’s to do with appearances, abilities or just having more items (like with TLOU). 

All good. Yeah you're right about already being challenged by finishing a game and suppose you can consider it a reward. Chapter select is a different kettle of fish and usually games that have that don't have NG+ (in my experience anyway). Chapter select is a saviour at times with slightly boring games or ones with easily missable trophies. All depends on the game and how hard the higher difficulties are. If you scraped by on easy or normal then hard or whatever is gonna be a pain. So that's where I can see it as an advantage while maintaining the challenge. But with this trend it's seeming like games that are Walking Dead level of easy are getting it or will be, that's where it becomes ridiculous.

That's fair enough and I get that because second playthrough can be a bit stale without something to make it different. Plus those Spidey suits are glorious lol. Then you have games like Prototype 2 that tacks NG+ on just to have it. Chapter select would've been a much better option.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

Somebody with a cool and level head about it would keep their calm and politely suggest New Game Plus, instead of crying like a child about it...[/snip]

And that's all I really needed to read regarding your post. Do you think you're displaying a cool and level head yourself by engaging in ad hominem?

18 hours ago, Spaz said:

From the general attitude you're expressing it sure sounds like to me you're trying to enforce it.

Somebody with a cool and level head about it would keep their calm and politely suggest New Game Plus, instead of crying like a child about it once someone came in with an opposing opinion.

For your sake I hope you don't become a journalist or a politician. It's clear as day you're not mature enough to handle either profession.

Then maybe this should of been a discussion about changing the way the story missions are played, because in other games as far as I remember you still kept the gear and equipment you earned through story progression.

I completely understand what you're saying. You're the one who doesn't understand that not every game needs New Game Plus.

That was last summer. He was being a bitch who called out on his subscribers and followers a bunch of losers and morons after he had promised his viewers he was going to upload more video content when he was trying to get people to help with his videos.

Then he goes and deletes the videos he made just weeks and months prior and last time I checked he closed down his YouTube channel. I watched enough of his streams for a year or two to know that you were a frequent viewer of his, so I felt I wanted to vent about it, albeit a little immaturely.

I don't think any of us know each other in real life. We just share a common passion, we enjoy trophy hunting. That's where our similarities end.

I think a number of us don't want New Game Plus because that adds more trophies to something that many people would rather not play a second time.

Games like Marvel's Spider-Man and Far Cry 5 weren't that hard to begin with, yet both went with New Game Plus and from what I heard it does really nothing.

I can understand the Dark Souls series and other franchises implementing their New Game Plus well, not only did they add new additions to the games beyond the first playthrough but they also reward the player.

If you want a good example of New Game Plus done right, the Ratchet and Clank reboot offers a Bolt Multiplier. You can further upgrade your weapons to Omega and you can obtain tons of bolts if you had say a x20 Bolt Multiplier. Those additions still make the game enjoyable and fun to play without overstaying it's welcome.

But since when did Red Dead Redemption 2 have a void of content? There's plenty for you to do in the single player. I never heard anybody cry about there wanting to be a New Game Plus for the original Red Dead Redemption, and because of the way the game was designed having that option was completely unnecessary.

This conversation has become too toxic for me to keep up with, later.

14 hours ago, TheLakota said:

And that's all I really needed to read regarding your post. Do you think you're displaying a cool and level head yourself by engaging in ad hominem?

I’m not saying I’m any better. All three of us engaged in ad hominem. 

45 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

This conversation has become too toxic for me to keep up with, later.

So you finally admitted to it.