Trophies vs. 100% in-game completion

dracothemighty

Well, since there's plenty of content in the game that's not required for the Platinum (like getting a S+ rank in Hardcore mode) I was just wondering... Did you only go for the platinum and leave everything else behind or, did you go through the extra effort and finish up the Records for both the base game and the Ghost Survivors DLC?

It all depends on you bud and how much you enjoy the game. I spent a lot of time writing one of the guides here so it took away some of my enjoyment long term I guess and couldn't be bothered to do all the records.

Thing is, the platinum is fairly straight forward, but getting ALL the records, especially on the DLC is much harder, i'm looking at you 'No Way Out'.

With S rank and S+ rank, the only main difference is unlimited saves vs 3 saves max, but the S+ rank gets you a weapon that would make your next S rank MUCH easier, Although S rank looks simpler at first, I think its better to do S+ with Claire, then S rank with leon with the minigun, makes it much simpler, but then I guess that depends how you look at it.

Claire's runs are much easier by the way as opposed to Leons, mainly because she has better weapons overall. This is why I think its better to S+ with her, then S rank with leon with minigun, makes his run easier.

If you can keep it fun without overdoing it on the playthroughs, you may decide to get all the records but believe me when I say, the DLC records are VERY HARD and frustrating. I got the trophies on the DLC, but f**k doing the records ;)

Just jump into it and see how you get on

Edited by optimusmart
  • Like 2

as far as those type of games work. i would say at least "go for plat" the DLC is optional. 

scratch that, clearing out as much of the DLC as humanly possible is the best route since it reduces unearned.

Edited by kingdrake2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, optimusmart said:

It all depends on you bud and how much you enjoy the game. I spent a lot of time writing one of the guides here so it took away some of my enjoyment long term I guess and couldn't be bothered to do all the records.

Thing is, the platinum is fairly straight forward, but getting ALL the records, especially on the DLC is much harder, i'm looking at you 'No Way Out'.

With S rank and S+ rank, the only main difference is unlimited saves vs 3 saves max, but the S+ rank gets you a weapon that would make your next S rank MUCH easier, Although S rank looks simpler at first, I think its better to do S+ with Claire, then S rank with leon with the minigun, makes it much simpler, but then I guess that depends how you look at it.

Claire's runs are much easier by the way as opposed to Leons, mainly because she has better weapons overall. This is why I think its better to S+ with her, then S rank with leon with minigun, makes his run easier.

If you can keep it fun without overdoing it on the playthroughs, you may decide to get all the records but believe me when I say, the DLC records are VERY HARD and frustrating. I got the trophies on the DLC, but f**k doing the records ;)

Just jump into it and see how you get on

Well, can't really blame you in that as writing a full guide for a game is sure to suck away the fun out of it... In my case, the first element that was lost by the second or third run was that initial anxiety of not knowing what to expect right around the next corner or even if I had enough bullets to finish the game. By the point I got to the Ghost Survivors DLC, I was getting tired of the game... but to be honest, it was quite a fun ride with an awesome sense of achievement after completing everything.

Yes, the platinum shies away from the harder content in the game, which is quite a shame to be honest. This is actually the reason why I thought about asking people if they went solely for the platinum or slightly beyond that. I got everything in the Records, my gamer OCD wouldn't let me rest if I didn't! xD Here it is:

To be fair, I'm still tempted to finish the rest of the scenarios with the S+ rank, but I'll hold on that for a while.

Yep, the No Way Out scenario is pretty hard, especially if you're attempting to get the Cat Ears. Here's my run of it:

10 hours ago, Two-Faced said:

Got the Platinum, and took a break to play & complete RDR2. I'll be back to complete every challenge once done. What an amazing remake to such an amazing game! Love it!

Yes, absolutely! :D

One of the reasons why I simply had to do everything in the game.

13 hours ago, kingdrake2 said:

as far as those type of games work. i would say at least "go for plat" the DLC is optional. 

scratch that, clearing out as much of the DLC as humanly possible is the best route since it reduces unearned.

The DLCs only have 2 trophies that aren't all that difficult to complete. So yeah, it's worth to complete those as well! (that 100% right next to the platinum always looks really nice xD)

I have gotten everything (including all Ghost Survivors records), and have been doing those RE.NET Weekly Challenges since the game came out, it's a nice reason to keep me replaying it actually. And each time the challenge is different which adds a different taste to the game, this week's challenge for example was to beat the game with at least 70 kills and finishing it in 2:30 hours while playing it on the Hardcore mode.

• Like 1

Not sure yet. Done 4 playthroughs so far and need 3 more for plat (+the bonus game) so no idea how much left in the tank there will be for DLC.

The Resi 7 plat took so much out of me that I literally couldn't face any DLC (even though I had the Gold edition) so I quickly sold the game.

• Like 1

On 05/04/2019 at 5:29 PM, Ren said:

I have gotten everything (including all Ghost Survivors records), and have been doing those RE.NET Weekly Challenges since the game came out, it's a nice reason to keep me replaying it actually. And each time the challenge is different which adds a different taste to the game, this week's challenge for example was to beat the game with at least 70 kills and finishing it in 2:30 hours while playing it on the Hardcore mode.

Personally I didn't take any of the RE.NET challenges. At the time I was more focused on completing the in-game stuff as I was still unsure if I could actually complete it. xD

There was some insane stuff in there, like completing the game with an accuracy rate of 95%... Since you can't use any of the infinite weapons for those challenges, you either have to be a great shot, or, use your infinite knife (which may be the only infinite weapon allowed) throughout the whole campaign. There were a few directed to the 4th and tofu survivors that didn't specify exactly what you weren't allowed to use/do in there...

70 kills in 2:30 hours is pretty doable. Are you able to save and reload from a previous point in case something goes south? The RNG in this game can be pretty unforgiving at times, so if you have to do it all in one sitting... God damn... :S 

On 05/04/2019 at 6:01 PM, JPageMartin36 said:

Not sure yet. Done 4 playthroughs so far and need 3 more for plat (+the bonus game) so no idea how much left in the tank there will be for DLC.

The Resi 7 plat took so much out of me that I literally couldn't face any DLC (even though I had the Gold edition) so I quickly sold the game.

I took it somewhat slowly doing everything, but by the time I started the Ghost Survivors DLC I was already burning out... The game is an absolute masterpiece with plenty of replayability, but going for those S+ ranks on hardcore can get very frustrating and tiresome at points. Just like Dead Space 2, you're limited to 3 saves during the whole game and you'll have to go through large chunks of the campaign without saving. There are no checkpoints either, if you die you'll start from your last save. On top of that, there's a time limit: scenario A has a 2:30h limit, and scenario B has a 2:00h limit. It can be pretty tough...  but oh so satisfying when you unlock your infinite rocket launcher and minigun ?

22 minutes ago, OneSkillPoint said:

Once I get platinum I'm done. Unless it's something specific I want to play or I get DLC that has trophies attached I'm out. 

Fair enough. Personally I'm a huge fan of the original RE2 and playing this masterpiece of a game to completion was a joy :) 

1 hour ago, dracothemighty said:

Personally I didn't take any of the RE.NET challenges. At the time I was more focused on completing the in-game stuff as I was still unsure if I could actually complete it. xD

There was some insane stuff in there, like completing the game with an accuracy rate of 95%... Since you can't use any of the infinite weapons for those challenges, you either have to be a great shot, or, use your infinite knife (which may be the only infinite weapon allowed) throughout the whole campaign. There were a few directed to the 4th and tofu survivors that didn't specify exactly what you weren't allowed to use/do in there...

70 kills in 2:30 hours is pretty doable. Are you able to save and reload from a previous point in case something goes south? The RNG in this game can be pretty unforgiving at times, so if you have to do it all in one sitting... God damn... :S 

The accuracy wasn't that hard. You can always buff it a bit by shooting a ton of extra rounds into the birkin monsters or a zombie's chest. I think when that challenge first appeared they hadn't fixed it so the infinite knife didn't count but now it only counts if they specify it (which has happened 1 time as far as I remember). All the 4th survivor challenges I have seen were specific but if it had question marks you were missing the tofu character it was referring to.

The tough one this week was beating it in 10,000 steps or less. Not a lot of room for error but absolutely doable.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MidnightMoth said:

The accuracy wasn't that hard. You can always buff it a bit by shooting a ton of extra rounds into the birkin monsters or a zombie's chest. I think when that challenge first appeared they hadn't fixed it so the infinite knife didn't count but now it only counts if they specify it (which has happened 1 time as far as I remember). All the 4th survivor challenges I have seen were specific but if it had question marks you were missing the tofu character it was referring to.

The tough one this week was beating it in 10,000 steps or less. Not a lot of room for error but absolutely doable.

Oh, yes of course. Didn't mean you actually needed to go through the campaign without firing a single bullet. Zombies often have some erratic movements, especially that annoying head bobbing they do while walking towards you. Bosses also turn around/move or jump towards you really fast, which makes you miss plenty of shots. That is why I thought that the best strategy for it was an almost knife-only run.

Yeah, most people at first were unsure if the infinite knife was allowed for the S+ rank in hardcore, I personally never used it on my runs. Same thing with the amount of saves. 

Hmmm... Makes sense. At the time I probably didn't have all the Tofu characters unlocked yet. I was really confused because I thought you needed to guess what exactly you were supposed to do like: not using curative items, not using a specific weapon and the sort. Thanks for the clarification! :D 

10,000 steps is kinda brutal... does it need to be on hardcore? damn... :S  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dracothemighty said:

Oh, yes of course. Didn't mean you actually needed to go through the campaign without firing a single bullet. Zombies often have some erratic movements, especially that annoying head bobbing they do while walking towards you. Bosses also turn around/move or jump towards you really fast, which makes you miss plenty of shots. That is why I thought that the best strategy for it was an almost knife-only run.

Yeah, most people at first were unsure if the infinite knife was allowed for the S+ rank in hardcore, I personally never used it on my runs. Same thing with the amount of saves. 

Hmmm... Makes sense. At the time I probably didn't have all the Tofu characters unlocked yet. I was really confused because I thought you needed to guess what exactly you were supposed to do like: not using curative items, not using a specific weapon and the sort. Thanks for the clarification! :D 

10,000 steps is kinda brutal... does it need to be on hardcore? damn... :S  

lol Don't worry, I didn't think you meant that. Knife only would be a good way to go, I was just mentioning an easy alternative. The website also tracks stats for your last save/autosave so you can keep track of your exact accuracy there.

The 10,000 could be done on standard but when you are skipping everything anyway the difficulty change feels pretty insignificant.
Ok, I better stop before I turn your thread into a completely different subject. haha

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, I need more BIOSHOCK said:

The last dlc no way out is the last one I need for the 100% and its just pissing me off. Doubt I'll ever find the motivation to go back to it now. 

Yeah, it's pretty hard. I wasn't sure if I was gonna be able to finish that one... But there are some good guide videos on youtube.

These are the ones I used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnmcTucGj1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CIkZ9GYKQw

The most important thing is to memorize which zombies will burst through the doors in each wave. You can also leave one zombie alive at the end of a wave and collect the backpacks on the ground at your leisure. Take it slow and try to use the 2 rockets you get as close to the end as possible (after the 70th if possible).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MidnightMoth said:

lol Don't worry, I didn't think you meant that. Knife only would be a good way to go, I was just mentioning an easy alternative. The website also tracks stats for your last save/autosave so you can keep track of your exact accuracy there.

The 10,000 could be done on standard but when you are skipping everything anyway the difficulty change feels pretty insignificant.
Ok, I better stop before I turn your thread into a completely different subject. haha

Hmmm... yeah, at one point I was looking all over the menus to see where they were displaying that kind of data but didn't find it. They could've added an in-game stats menu though...

Yep, I guess so. If you can do it on standard, only the bosses pose any threat to you. Even then, with the auto-save feature you can breeze through it. Hardcore is only a problem when you're limited to 3 saves only... and I guess I still am traumatized by it xD

Hehehe It's fine xD You can talk all day about the RE franchise here. 

8 hours ago, dracothemighty said:

So far all of the Story challenges have allowed you to save multiple times, so if you mess something up, you could still reload one of your saves to try again. However, when a new challenge appears, you always have to start a new game instead of reloading an old save. Still, at some point there may be a challenge related to not saving at all while doing another objective... :lol:

I did the 95% accuracy one by using Claire's SMG on a lot of enemies, missing just one shot hurt your % bit quite a bit though.

I think you should give those challenges a try sometime, they are quite fun IMO. ^_^

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ren said:

So far all of the Story challenges have allowed you to save multiple times, so if you mess something up, you could still reload one of your saves to try again. However, when a new challenge appears, you always have to start a new game instead of reloading an old save. Still, at some point there may be a challenge related to not saving at all while doing another objective... :lol:

I did the 95% accuracy one by using Claire's SMG on a lot of enemies, missing just one shot hurt your % bit quite a bit though.

I think you should give those challenges a try sometime, they are quite fun IMO. ^_^

Pretty forgiving then, especially when you can save more than 3 times in hardcore.? Not sure though if most people would be able to finish hardcore without saving, as most enemies can be very unpredictable. If they decide to add a mandatory S+ rank... Oooo boy... ?

Well, if there's no restrictions on which of the characters you can play as (I personally don't remember it being the case), I would go and use Leon's shotgun for most of the campaign as you can pretty much one-shot zombies fairly easily with it. There's also that trick on the G2 fight (the one with the crane) that you can use the flamethrower to one-cycle the boss, even on hardcore. Not sure though if AoE weapons like the flamethrower decrease your % if you move your aim reticle to try to get more than one enemy at a time... ?

Absolutely! I still have 2 more S+ ranks to get on hardcore. I'll probably try a few challenges as well ?

• Like 1

Sometimes you make the game on 100% in-game completion, but still missing some trophies. Sometimes you get all the trophies, but you don't have 100% in-game completion. In my case all i need is to get all the trophies, i don't care about the completion of the game. Still i like when i beat some game on 100% and then get all the remaining trophies. In some games like Albedo you don't even finish the whole game and you get the platinum. In other games like Spyro 3 i had 79% completion, but got the platinum. It depends on the game. Some fast and easy platinums are 30 minutes long and you get the platinum. I like games like South Park: Fractured But Whole and South Park: The Stick of Truth - the game is so much interesting and also the platinum too. I like Knack 2 and Marvel's Spider-Man platinums. In my opinion both things are important, but i think the trophies should require 100% completion in most cases. For me the trophies are just an extra bonus that allows you to play the game more than usual, see more aspects of it and also have fun while getting the trophies and feel satisfied.

Edited by sve_1991_
add more words
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, sve_1991_ said:

Sometimes you make the game on 100% in-game completion, but still missing some trophies. Sometimes you get all the trophies, but you don't have 100% in-game completion. In my case all i need is to get all the trophies, i don't care about the completion of the game. Still i like when i beat some game on 100% and then get all the remaining trophies. In some games like Albedo you don't even finish the whole game and you get the platinum. In other games like Spyro 3 i had 79% completion, but got the platinum. It depends on the game. Some fast and easy platinums are 30 minutes long and you get the platinum. I like games like South Park: Fractured But Whole and South Park: The Stick of Truth - the game is so much interesting and also the platinum too. I like Knack 2 and Marvel's Spider-Man platinums. In my opinion both things are important, but i think the trophies should require 100% completion in most cases. For me the trophies are just an extra bonus that allows you to play the game more than usual, see more aspects of it and also have fun while getting the trophies and feel satisfied.

In this case, the hardest content that the game can offer isn't needed for the platinum. You're not required to complete neither of the Records' tabs (which is a menu that displays challenges for you to complete). Some of them are included in the trophy list, while others are not. It's almost like a second trophy list, but this one holds more challenging stuff like getting a S+ rank with both characters and unlocking the Cat Ears (which is a part of the Ghost Survivors DLC). To me, it's a shame that they didn't include a trophy requiring the completion of the Records, the main-game's one. Maybe it would gate many people out of the platinum, hence why they decided not to included it. Fact is, getting the platinum here isn't all that hard and could've been so much more fulfilling than it actually is.

My question was meant to understand what people think about this exact topic: the divergence between simply getting all trophies, or going the extra mile to finish up the rest of the content the game offers. Because, as I was playing the game, I thought to myself plenty of times: "why did they shy away from asking their trophy hunters to get the best rank in the game on the hardest difficulty?" As I went through plenty of failed runs, I was curious to know if people would go through the same trouble as well.

I agree with many of your thoughts. Trophies and in-game challenges outside of the trophy list should be, above everything else, fun for you to delve into. I had my fun with RE2, especially going through the hardest content they offered, and to be honest, I wish everyone had their fulfillment with the game as much as I did. :D