Digging Deep

This has to be one of the most difficult trophies I have encountered.

It feels almost impossible to beat this level without losing a life. I actually got fairly close a few times but after a few hours of attempts I decided to give up at the moment.

Any tips for beating level 81? This looks to be the platinum breaker for this Atari collection.

• 9 months later...

It's an extremely short stage, about 40 seconds.. But you have to be as focused as possible in those 40 seconds as a LOT will be happening. My tips would be:

• Pay particular attention to the rainbow coloured enemies when they're on screen and try to flick your character back and forth to hit them, they are extremely fast and will kill you a lot of the time if you're on the same area as them.
  • Get used to adopting a method of flicking back and forth to kill enemies, as you can use this for pretty much everything on screen.
  • Use your bomb as late as you possibly can. The later you leave it the easier the rest of the stage will be.
  • Regarding the yellow lined enemies that circle around the border of the stage. DO NOT MOVE when they are on screen, Let them come to you and then shoot when they are about to move on top of you. This is the safest and most consistent way to kill them.
  • When you start moving to finish the level, make sure there isn't a line in the middle of the lane, as this can also kill you. If there is, shoot it to get rid of it as quickly as possible. I lost several runs at this point.
  • Try to get used to using every area of the stage. You may feel inclined to stay on the bottom area as this is where you begin but you will never clear this stage by staying in one place.
  • Trial and error. Your success is really dependant on luck, the outcome and enemy patterns won't always be the same. Just keep trying and you'll get to a point where you'll complete it.

There's a video of my run for reference. 

Edited by SlimSanta94
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 0:15 PM, SlimSanta94 said:

It's an extremely short stage, about 40 seconds.. But you have to be as focused as possible in those 40 seconds as a LOT will be happening. My tips would be:

• Pay particular attention to the rainbow coloured enemies when they're on screen and try to flick your character back and forth to hit them, they are extremely fast and will kill you a lot of the time if you're on the same area as them.
  • Get used to adopting a method of flicking back and forth to kill enemies, as you can use this for pretty much everything on screen.
  • Use your bomb as late as you possibly can. The later you leave it the easier the rest of the stage will be.
  • Regarding the yellow lined enemies that circle around the border of the stage. DO NOT MOVE when they are on screen, Let them come to you and then shoot when they are about to move on top of you. This is the safest and most consistent way to kill them.
  • When you start moving to finish the level, make sure there isn't a line in the middle of the lane, as this can also kill you. If there is, shoot it to get rid of it as quickly as possible. I lost several runs at this point.
  • Try to get used to using every area of the stage. You may feel inclined to stay on the bottom area as this is where you begin but you will never clear this stage by staying in one place.
  • Trial and error. Your success is really dependant on luck, the outcome and enemy patterns won't always be the same. Just keep trying and you'll get to a point where you'll complete it.

There's a video of my run for reference. 

solid stuff, man. Thanks for this! I knew I wouldn’t be fastest (I can’t really spend 8 straight hours on a game anymore), but I still managed to get to #4 fastest.

Thanks again!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2020 at 3:15 PM, SlimSanta94 said:

I struggle so much to understand how to do this, sometimes I'll just flick right over them no problem, sometimes I flick and I die by them, sometimes I'll spam shots and they die right next to me, other times the bullets "miss" and they get the drop on me -- What is their interaction with the tempest and how do you reliably "dodge" and shoot them when they're close?

My biggest downfall is getting surrounded by the flippers and dying because I'm unsure how to shoot "adjacent" to me.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Savescum with PS plus cloud data to give yourself personal checkpoints.

I had been going for hours and even died right at the end till i thought of that, did it in 15 minutes after ?

Also try and make sure the spikes are down by shooting them to give yourself breathing room, cause they shield those annoying blue lightning things that kill lanes

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2022 at 2:03 AM, ARandomWord743 said:

Savescum with PS plus cloud data to give yourself personal checkpoints.

I had been going for hours and even died right at the end till i thought of that, did it in 15 minutes after 1f62d.png

Also try and make sure the spikes are down by shooting them to give yourself breathing room, cause they shield those annoying blue lightning things that kill lanes

It’s not easy. Took me a couple dozen tries before I finally pulled it off. 

It’s one of those trophies that requires your complete focus and concentration. Felt really good when this trophy popped.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

okay, a little late my reply, but wanted to announce that I got the Trophy within 30 minutes. It was admittedly a bit tiring and annoying, and I was probably lucky too, but in the end it was surprisingly doable. (Not like the 300,000 points in Yar's Revenge :( ) I used the saveexploit. Played level 81 and then after the first 1500 points (and feeling safe), went to the main menu and then uploaded my savegame to the PS Plus cloud. I did that every 1500 points the same way. At about 11000 points I had then also managed the level.
It was really a very good feeling. But the Trophy is definitely hard!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...