Tips and Tricks for Beat Saber Expert SS Rank

TheDblTap

On 3/27/2019 at 11:47 AM, TheDblTap said:

Hi all,

I platted this game yesterday and it was insane, it's the best plat I own and the one I'm most proud of, now I want to help you guys with the hardest trophy in the game, hands down. Getting SS rank on expert.

First off, if you're quite tall like my 6"4' self, don't set your height accurately, you're screwing yourself on the up-swing and limiting how much score you can get on those blocks.

The problem is that the blocks don't move up with you when you set the floor height, so you actually want them at chest-level with you, play around with the settings until you can get the same swing arc when swinging up as you do swinging down.

Secondly, as the guide says, score is based on swing arc and accuracy.

Throw accuracy out of the window, if you focus too much on it you'll throw yourself off, just focus on those arcs, that's the easiest way to try for 100 score per block.

The guide was wrong about needing to hit 100 on EVERY block, on my winning run I got 24 on one block and still got SS rank.

But you do want a large majority to be 100 or more, and need to hit every single block, I dont think it's possible without a full combo.

Now then, I have 2 strategies for exaggerating the arc of your swing and almost guaranteeing a 100 score per block.

1. Try holding the base of your move controller and using its rounded shape to pivot the controller in your hand (like a bone's ball joint) to really exaggerate your swing.

You want the controller pointed at the floor at the start of an upswing and pointed at the ceiling (or even behind you if you want to be extra) by the end of your swing.

The downside to this is sweaty palms, if you sweat like I do playing beat saber then the controller will slip and become hard to control, in that case, try method 2:

2. Dont hold the controller as you normally would, with your finger on the trigger and your thumb on the move button, instead grip the bottom half of the controller fully, like you would a real sword, and then exaggerate your wrist movements with extra flamoyance. Picture Jack Sparrow playing beat saber, loose wrists.

Again, you want to ensure you're fully pointing the controller downwards before an upswing. 

The idea is that you swing the blade with your arm as you normally would, but then bend your wrist at the start and end of a swing to add extra inches to the arc.

Try the above tips on "Legend" as it's short, slow and simple. After a few tries and a lot of practice, you'll smash it, I'm sure!

Good luck!

Hey i am 6.1 tall myself, instead of floor height i changed it to player height which is 183cm in my country. should i lower this? i play on the ps4 with the move controllers that you buy for the psvr.

Good tips, I just want to let everyone know to not quit out immediately if you miss or screw up one note. I got my SS on expert when I accidentally got 1 bad cut, that was the only note i didn't hit, in saying that I had practiced my arcs a lot and was almost constantly getting 105s. So if you're scoring enough on each note you can still get SS with a mistake or maybe even 2 I'm not sure

So infuriating, I've finished the song probably around 100 times with 222xxx score now and I read somewhere the threshold for SS is about 223k. Thanks for the tips, gonna try checking different floor heights.

Edit: God damn man you deserve a medal, took 2 tries with like 20 centimeters off from my height and when I ignored timing completely and just swinged like a madman:

4cptpro.jpg

Edited by Poramies
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I can vouch for raising the floor height. Before I did it I could only manage 60s and 70s on the quick upswing. Once I raised the floor I could get it to about the mid 90s. There is no way I would have been able to get an SS rank without it!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got any tips for swininging when its multible arrows down and up in a row. struggeling on Legends expert, only getting 216k points s rank. need to get 223k for ss rank.

i am 183cm (6.0 tall) and i got my camera angel at 161cm so i can easier get points.

Edited by Mightyboom1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2019 at 10:30 PM, Mightyboom1 said:

Anyone got any tips for swininging when its multible arrows down and up in a row. struggeling on Legends expert, only getting 216k points s rank. need to get 223k for ss rank.

i am 183cm (6.0 tall) and i got my camera angel at 161cm so i can easier get points.

Try to stand way behind the two footprints and slash at the cubes with the tip of the swords. And using the handwrists to exaggerate the swing, there is no need to swing with your full arm like a madman (though it's of course more fun that way ?), particularly during sections with multiple cubes, should help as well. I'm not quite that tall, but having the cubes come at you slightly below the chest should make things easier.  

I was already used to playing this way, so once I went for SS-rank it only took me 3-4 tries. I did it with "Legend" as well. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2019 at 1:38 PM, Poramies said:

So infuriating, I've finished the song probably around 100 times with 222xxx score now and I read somewhere the threshold for SS is about 223k. Thanks for the tips, gonna try checking different floor heights.

Edit: God damn man you deserve a medal, took 2 tries with like 20 centimeters off from my height and when I ignored timing completely and just swinged like a madman:

4cptpro.jpg

Rank have nothing to do with the score. I just got 228 185 score on Legend with full combo and I got an S.

7 hours ago, Corniliuss said:

Rank have nothing to do with the score. I just got 228 185 score on Legend with full combo and I got an S.

They actually do. But the threshholds aren't valid anymore. With the latest update, they changed the scoring system. Now, the maximum score per note is 115 points, before it was 110. I guess you still need at least 90% of the total score in a song to get SS rank. 

For Legend, before the update that was 221'958 points. With the new scoring system, you need 232'047 points (or, you know, something along these lines...). 

This is all speculation, though.. I finished this game before the last update, but this would make sense to me. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 23.6.2019 at 10:15 AM, Arcesus7 said:

They actually do. But the threshholds aren't valid anymore. With the latest update, they changed the scoring system. Now, the maximum score per note is 115 points, before it was 110. I guess you still need at least 90% of the total score in a song to get SS rank. 

For Legend, before the update that was 221'958 points. With the new scoring system, you need 232'047 points (or, you know, something along these lines...). 

This is all speculation, though.. I finished this game before the last update, but this would make sense to me. 

And that's why I definitely won't get the platinum. Since the update I didn't even get a single S rank :(

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2019 at 3:51 PM, ClearCrow said:

And that's why I definitely won't get the platinum. Since the update I didn't even get a single S rank :(

Hey I just wanted to chime into this thread now that the latest patch has been released. It is MUCH easier to get SS ranks again now. If you had given up, come back and try again! There’s even a new HUD option that lets you track what rank you currently have in a song as you play it!

3 hours ago, Orenn16 said:

Hey I just wanted to chime into this thread now that the latest patch has been released. It is MUCH easier to get SS ranks again now. If you had given up, come back and try again! There’s even a new HUD option that lets you track what rank you currently have in a song as you play it!

What makes it easier?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Orenn16 said:

This sounds great! Thanks for the advise.

From time to time I play it anyway. It's a great game, even if I couldn't get the platinum :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4.4.2019 at 7:38 PM, Poramies said:

i just got 228000 points and i did not get SS rank.... any ideas why? I also hit every block

4cptpro.jpg

8 hours ago, Megaman80 said:

i just got 228000 points and i did not get SS rank.... any ideas why? I also hit every block

I'll quote myself from a post above: 

On 23.6.2019 at 10:15 AM, Arcesius said:

• 2 months later...

Hi all, Sorry for being unresponsive, I didn't have notifications turned on!

I just wanted to leave this review I made for my site which includes a few tips a lot of which will still be relevant today: https://platget.com/thedbltap-games/beat-saber/

I may update it once I've had a minute to adjust to the multiple changes but the game does seem to be much easier now than when I wrote my review. You can add in an advanced score tracker so you can see your score as you play, and there are a lot of music packs to give you more opportunities for S ranks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Brink-2-Chaos said:

What is the trick to those damn 2 stacked blocks that have arrows pointing inwards to eachother on the first instant fail level  Been stuck on that block for 40 attempts got it once by accident and was so shocked i immediately failed

You're going to want to use a lot of restraint, try to stop yourself as soon as possible once you break the blocks with a pincer movement. If it helps you lose momentum, try moving sidewards as soon as you see/hear the blocks break and try to use an equal motion on both sides to break them simultaneously.

If you're struggling to hit them at the same time you may need to adjust the floor or player height so that your chest is more centralised with the middle of the stack.

Gotta say this plat was much easier than i thought it was going to be

Just a side note guide suggests grinding angel voices but at 6:14 Per song and 8.3  million ish PPH (Points per hour)  It is actually more efficient to use the second song Balearic Pumping at 2:14 Per song you can get about 9.5 million PPH on expert

Edited by Brink-2-Chaos

• 1 month later...