What are your all time top 5 game series

I need more BIOSHOCK

Just thought it would be fun to see what everyone's personal faves are and why they love them so much.

1.  My personal all time greatest series in gaming (surprise surprise) is Bioshock.  What an amazing and atmospheric creation!  I strongly doubt I'll ever have a game with such a unique environment capture me the way that the wonderful world of Rapture did.  I shan't lie I am a bit obssessed with the franchise and everything about it.  Most halloweens I will splice things up and am much looking forward to getting my full bioshock sleeve done later this year to accompany my murder of crows on my other arm.  (OBSSESSED!!!!!)

2.  Batman Arkham series.  Love love LOVE these games!  Having always been a massive batman fan in general and it giving us quite possibly the best baddy of all time the Joker.  So many other boss characters too.  These are some immense games and imo Rocksteady did one hell of a job with them!  The only thing I would change if i could would be to lose some of those predator challenges (not a massive stealth fan).

3.  Crash Bandicoot.  So much love and nostalgia for these.  I remember bunking off school so many days playing warped and crash bash and can't wait for Team Racing this summer!

4.  Silent Hill.  I'll never forget my first time playing it back on the PS One all them years ago.  Have loved each and every one of them since.  I wish we would get a remaster of this timeless classic on day but I doubt it'll ever happen which saddens me.

5.  Resident Evil.  Another one that I have so much love and nostalgia for.  I remember it well when my friend gave me a go when i was round at his house and I had to have it.  I played it to death all night and had no sleep having to go to alton towers then next day and regretted nothing lol.  The Resi evil 2 remaster was an immediate pre order for me and I can not wait for my personal favourite Nemesis!

• Like 2

1. Though I haven't liked it in some time, it's hard not to list Final Fantasy here. Through FFXII, that series gave me a ton of enjoyment, going back to its original release on the NES. I remember how stoked I was when Square released the collections on PS1 (funny story - people thought that re-releasing old games was a gamble back then). 
  2. From the PS2 days, Dynasty Warriors is probably next on my list. A quick check of my trophy cabinet should convince you that I love the titles (though I have not loved them since DW8XL). I bought DW2 on PS2 early in its life cycle (I think it was a launch title), and was hooked.
  3. After that, I'd probably say that Dragon Warrior/ Dragon Quest comes in 3rd. I still call the games Dragon Warrior from my NES days. I loved all three that I played there (I never got to IV on the NES), and was so stoked that DQVII came to PS1 (oh, and ignore the critics - that game was awesome). This carried on to DQVIII on the PS2, and finally DQXI on the PS4, with a few gameboy/gba/ds purchases in between (though all re-releases - I've never played DQIX or DQX).
  4. The collections become a blur then, but I would probably put Star Ocean on the list. I remember how stoked I was when Till the End of Time came out on the PS2, and how happy I was when SOIV came to PS4, after first hearing that it was XBox exclusive. SO5 put a bit of a damper on my love, but I still picked up SO3 as a re-release on PS2-to-PS4.
  5. They are really blurry here. I would like to mention Guitar Hero, but the PS4 offering was so dull that it really soured me on the whole series. But what the hell? Let's put GH at #5. After all, I bought almost all of them upon release on the PS3, and platted a few as well. One of these days, I'll finally finish Gh metallica, and call myself officially retired from the series, but it was a lot of run while it lasted.
  • Like 3

Not in any particular order.

Suikoden- Probably not as well known anymore but still a favorite of mine I go back to.

Lunar- Otherwise known as Lunar Silver Star Story and Lunar 2 Eternal Blue. There are a couple other games but they are in Japanese only so I have only gotten so far. Started me out as a gamer with some lofty dreams, had a 100+ page manuscript for Lunar 3 before my dreams died.

Batman

Elder Scrolls

Fallout

• Like 2

1. Sonic The Hedgehog

Probably one of my oldest favorite game series, I grew up playing Sonic games and watching the tv series Sonic X. 

I played most if not all the Sonic games out there, I especially love the Wii games which I played a lot in my childhood. 

There isn't much else to say other than that Sonic gives me a warm feeling of home. It's like my comfort game series. 

2. Pokemon 

Similar to Sonic, I grew up watching the anime when I was a little kid, Pokemon has sort of always been there. 

First game I played was actually Pokemon Black back in 2011 so I didn't really grow up playing the games but got into them very fast as soon as I started. 

Pokemon was always in my heart but I fell in love even more when I moved to the games. 

3. Danganronpa 

Well, Danganronpa was a 10/10 series for me. I enjoyed the games so much and I got attached to the characters very fast.

The plot is very unique and mysterious and as a person that loves mysteries and problem solving, exposing the culprits was very enjoyable. 

Not to mention the soundtrack is freaking amazing ?

4. Uncharted 

Decent plot, easy to love protagonist, gameplay is super fun, overall awesome games. 

Edited by Kurofur
  • Like 1

Sad topic for me, because all my top series went to shit or died at some point.

1. Total War series. Played Rome Total War the first time when it came out, around 14 years ago, still play it to this day. Medieval 2 was great too, in a different way. Empire kinda shit the bed a little but I still play it occasionally, there is just something about building a colonial empire, killing the natives and selling the claimed ressources and using the money from it to wreck the shit of your neighbours that no other game I know provides. If theres one that does, please tell me. After Empire came Shogun 2 in 2011, which I think is still the most polished game of the series. Each one of these games have something great and unique to them, then came the shitshow that was Rome 2, and every other Total War that came after was just shit so I haven't bought any of them. There are no signs that the series will ever recover at this point.

2. Gothic Series. Gothic 1 was made in germany and it was the first real rpg I got into. It was absolutely fantastic, with insane attention to detail for the time and an organic and great little world that can be used as a solid foundation for mods even today. Gothic 2 and its addon Night of The Raven just made it even better, still one of my most beloved games ever. Gothic 3 was when it went downhill. I still enjoyed it somewhat, but it was the very first game I clearly remember being a utterly unacceptable mess at release, way back in 2006. Such things have become the norm nowadays, but back then it was a sacrilege, aside from that the game was terribly average as well even if it did work. The further games like the addon for Gothic 3 and Arcania Gothic 4 were just utter trash, and the series only continues in spiritual successors, but I never bothered to play any of those because I lost faith in the studio.

3. Metal Gear Solid series. From Metal Gear Solid 1, a game that shaped the industry like very few others, over the swerving and convoluted MGS2, to the utter masterpiece that was MGS3, this is a candidate for every most influental game series list. I enjoyed these games so much I spent hours reading up on more lore, I improved my english skills as a younger gamer just to be able to understand these games and their complicated as hell stories better and I looked for every piece of content, every easteregg and anything else these games offered. Played Peacewalker on the Xbox of a friend, had a real blast building up the mother base and getting to know the characters. MGS4 was something I never really played myself, not for long at least as I do not have a ps3, and neither did most of my friends, because the console was overpriced shit, but the game was just supposed to tie the story together anyway so watching it online did the job. Then came MGS5 Ground Zeroes, the prologue for MGS5 The Phantom Pain, and I played the hell out of it. The fox engine was absolutely fantastic and I absorbed almost everything in this prologue, even came back years later to get the super tedious last trophy. MGS5 TPP was a ultimately disappointing experience thanks to Konami being Konami, unlimited potential wasted to deliver what was a good to great experience depending on the stage you were in, but it could have been the best of all time. Did not bother do buy Metal Gear Survive, because it was visible from a mile away that it was a utter piece of shit now that Kojima was no longer there to fight the utter lowlifes that are Konamis higher ups. Seriously, these people ruin the lives of ex employees and have criminal connections, so if someone ever ends up with a lot of ressources and wants to make the world a better place, there is a HQ that needs to be razed.

4. Star Wars battlefront series. After the great original games Battlefront 1 and Battlefront 2, games I played for so many hours that I know them inside and out, the series just died. It was never revived, the utter shitshow cobbled together by one of the worlds worst companies (really, they won shame awards for that), EA, has nothing in common with these great games aside from the name it dragged through the mud. I will never play these, and my opinion of someone who does pay money to play them actively decreases, such is my contempt for what EA has done with this once beloved series.

5. Dynasty Warriors series. Dynasty Warriors 3 was my first game of the series, and despite all the cheesy dialogues and shitty graphics it felt wonderful to play. You have to play it to understand, watching someone playing it is mind numbingly dull. A friend of mine never grew tired of saying how shit this series looked, never wanting to play DW 3-4 with me until I just gave him DW5 for a week so he could play it himself. A week became 2 months as he got so hooked he played nothing else during that time, and I joined him often. Games 3-5 were great, with all the variants of them like Empires (more leaning towards strategy), 6 was alright, never played 7 but it seemed alright too. Played 8 on pc and 8 empire on ps4 and was still a fan, even platinumed the empire beast despite it taking forever and had a blast doing it. Then Dynasty Warriors 9 came around and shit the bed. They tried to turn it into the most boring open world imaginable, taking away most of the unique things, totally fucked up the balance and modes and added side missions so stupid and broken that I wonder why it did not became a meme. I doubt the series will come back with its former glory at this point, sadly, as it was quite a unique experience few other games delivered.

So there it is, one series is dead, the others turned to shit and seem beyond saving at this point, really goes to show how much worse the industry has become over the years.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 2

1. Final Fantasy: I'm a long term fan of FF games and have played many of them from the series. Besides XV, I enjoyed all of them, and also the spin offs like Tactics games. My favourite FF is X-2, followed by the 13 series and then 12. I like FF for their really deep and developed characters and story, and the music and gameplay design is always so fantastic. I love the worlds they create, like Spira in FFX, Cocoon and Pulse in 13, and Ivalice which is my favourite FF world. I miss the good old job system that seems to be disappearing in the newer games, but really enjoyed the fast paced combat and ability to change jobs mid battle in the 13 series and FFX-2 via sphere change.

2. Tales series: I love Tales and have been to the Tales Festival in yokohama Japan twice, so I have a bucket load of merchandise from posters and stationary to cushions and even a towel. I platinumed all the Tales games bar Symphonia and Zestiria. I love Tales mostly for the great set of characters in each series, the mini skit talks and little Tales tidbits like the cooking system, hot spring and beach events, plentiful side quests that go into the characters background as opposed to being just random errands, and of course the great stories and gameplay. Vesperia was my favourite, followed by Graces F, Xillia 2 and Berseria. 

3. Crash bandicoot from the PS1 days. I had all of them including CTR and Crash Bash, and me and my brother always had fun with multiplayer. CTR was by far the one that sucked all the hours out of my outdoor life to the displeasure of my mum. The good old days where things like work and study didn't get in the way of gaming time. 

4. Kingdom Hearts: I've just played the originals on PS2, GBA (CoM) and all the DS spin offs like recoded, DDD and 365/2 days. Although the story needs a phd in gaming to understand, the concept of Disney with FF worked so well, and the gameplay was great. I really liked travelling to all the Disney worlds whilst fighting the Heartless and Nobodies along with Disney characters. The game design is lovely and I liked all the concepts in the game like the heartless, keyblade master, unversed and nobodies, organisation XIII etc. 

5. Disgaea: These were tough games but pretty humorous. I've just played 4 and D2 and liked both. I have 5 in my backlog, but enjoy the whole idea of creating different characters and jobs, and being able to customise their abilities and raise levels up to 9999. 

• Like 2

Pokemon(Although I think I actually prefer the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games over main series)
Legend of Zelda 
Spyro(and as far Spyro goes I actually kind of prefer the legend of spyro trilogy over the originals that and I like that spyro better.)
Sonic
Kingdom Hearts
I've bought a lot of games in each of these series and stuck with them for quite a long time.
I would list Okami, instead but unfortunately two games isn't really a series.

Edited by Nightstream88
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 8:21 AM, Nighcisama said:

1. Total War series. Played Rome Total War the first time when it came out, around 14 years ago, still play it to this day. Medieval 2 was great too, in a different way. Empire kinda shit the bed a little but I still play it occasionally, there is just something about building a colonial empire, killing the natives and selling the claimed ressources and using the money from it to wreck the shit of your neighbours that no other game I know provides. If theres one that does, please tell me. After Empire came Shogun 2 in 2011, which I think is still the most polished game of the series. Each one of these games have something great and unique to them, then came the shitshow that was Rome 2, and every other Total War that came after was just shit so I haven't bought any of them. There are no signs that the series will ever recover at this point.

I’m glad to finally see somebody mention a goddamn PC strategy game series. They never get any credit at all it seems because most people opt for console games or the games are beyond their thinking capacity. 

My 64 year old dad played the Rome series and he thought it was absolutely brilliant. 

I played Age of Empires 1 & 2, had a blast playing them because I love those real time strategy games that take place in historical times. 

Sad that Ensemble Studios is no more.

Well damn. This is going to be tough since some of my favorite games are part of a series I didn't play a majority of. :hmm: (like Legend of Mana) The rankings are subject to rearranging whenever I feel like it. :awesome: 

1: Uncharted. I was very happy I gave this series a go back in 2012. It's something my dad and I absolutely love playing together when possible. From the setting of each game, to the lore, to the cast this series has it all to me.

2: Assassin's Creed. My brother brought home a random ass game called Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, and the rest is history here. Loved the stories, gameplay, and most of all the historical aspects.

3: Metro. This series has one of my favorite atmospheres out there. Sure the voice acting makes me cringe at parts in English, and it has some lumpy looking humans, but I love the series nonetheless. 

4: Kingdom Hearts. The first game, even now, captures me like no other. Gameplay improves in each game, but the first one just has a different feeling to it than the others in my opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing if this series is continued after our little journey in KH3.

5: Taking a page out of @starcrunch061's book here and going with Guitar Hero. I'm not one of those people that find extreme, or even moderate, amounts of satisfaction from gaming challenges. But I'll be damned if I'll ever forget the day I moved into Expert territory and just got better and better. (I'm not anymore sadly...) I played a lot of these minus 1-2 games, and there are some songs I never actually beat, fuck you Raining Blood, but this was almost equal with the physical challenges I put myself through as a teenager. I spent an entire summer busting my ass to get by Freebird in GH2 and I might not have 5 starred or FC'ed it...but I fucking beat it with just days left before going back to school lmfao.

Honorable Mentions go to:

Dynasty Warriors 

Sword Art Online (despite the amount of ridiculous friendship grinding there is lol)

DDR (before it started adding tons of shitty american songs.)

• Like 3

In terms of longevity and buying the games "day 1":

1. God of War

2. Hitman

3. Splinter Cell

4, Dishonored

5. Uncharted

Final Fantasy was on there for years, but lost interest in the series along with some stinkers SquareEnix has made.

• Like 1

it my seens casual but:

1.- Resident Evil

2.- Final Fantasy

3.- God Of War

4.- Ace Combat

5.- Metal Gear  (even thoug is dead now ?)

They all mean a lot for me since they give me so many good moments, special mentions to Gran Turismo and Mass Effect but since EA killed it (and will probably kill BioWare in the next years) I doubt we will ever experience a masterpiece like Mass Effect 2 again ?

• Like 2

Assassin's Creed: The first Assassin's Creed was the first PS3 game I had for the system, feel in love with the series since. I love the sci-fi fantasy theme it has I love the idea of exploring historic places, learning how the world worked all those years ago and playing as some cool characters. I know the series has had it's up and down's and people tend to hate on them but hey pretty much any other series has it's problems and haters, plus I can't help but get excited and wonder when the next game is going to take place.

Resident Evil: This series holds a special place in my heart, Resident Evil 2 was the first horror game I ever played and beaten by myself when I was a kid.

Uncharted: Just a fun series all around Nathan Drake is hands down one of the most likeable characters ever the gameplay was fun,stories were simple and straightforward and had some of the most memorable moments.

God of War: Introduced me to the Hack and Slash genre of video games without it I would of probably have never gotten into Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, that and I am a sucker for Greek and Norse mythology.

Dishonored: I think this series is very underrated especially Dishonored 2 so much replay ability in these games you can do your task anyway you want, the magic abilities are cool and weird, they make you get creative with them and I find the lore fascinating.     

• Like 1

Final Fantasy:

With all its shortcomings from FF XIII on, Final Fantasy games will always hold a special place in my nostalgic memories. My first Ff game was FF VII, and it was si much fun that I instantly got FF VIII. FF VIII is my all time favorite from the main games. What I loved most about FF games is their setting in all those strange and wonderful worlds and - you know - saving the world with a group of friends, growing bonds with them until you can take on the worst creatures and villains. FF ignited my love for RPGs - playing stories for over a hundred hours? Count me in!

Wing Commander:

Have you ever heard the games? I am old enough to have played the first two Wing Commander games on my Amiga, and the third and fourth I played at a friend's on his PC. If you don't know the series, Wing Commander is basically a flight simulator in space. You fly sorties according to the briefing, you get debriefed afterwards, and in between missions, you hang around in the bar of the space carrier you are stationed on with your fellow squad mates. Again, cameraderie, only in space.

The innovative thing about the campaign was that you could actually lose the game. If you performed badly on your missions, the enemy could seize control of the sector, driving you back until you eventually had to make a last stand. If you performed good, you could push into enemy systems.

That series had a lot of fans back in the day, and a fan project made their own Wing Commander game over a time of ten years (I think): https://www.wcsaga.com/

Civilization:

Most people will know the games, I think. I played I - IV, IV being the best. There are many mods that enhance and/or overhaul the game for infinite replay value. Never bothered with V or VI, the change in gameplay didn't look appealing.

Suikoden

Suikoden is another series I still like. I played Suikoden 1 - 5 and Suikoden Tactics, and I liked all of them. In the main games, you - for various reasons, like you would in a JRPG - travel the lands and recruit the 108 stars of destiny. 108 characters over the game to recruit into your army, some as party members, others playing different roles in your base. The more people you recruit, the more your base develops. You have the usual fights with your party, but also fight army battles with some characters bringing special abilities to their squad. Runes grant those powers, and in the Suikoden world, there are minor runes and the 27 unique runes (the "True Runes") that grant special powers. Some of the true runes are featured in the games.

Some of the characters are recurring, which made it great if you met them in a later game again.

Mass Effect:

Not much needed to be said here, ME Trilogy is well-known. Just let me say that femShep is bad-ass, I enjoxed it very much to play her. And once again, my comrades and me against the odds. ME: Andromeda was not as good, but also not as bad as people said.

• Like 1

Assassin's Creed

Always loving myself a historical setting + the parkour elements. Although the quality of the story kinda dropped lately, I can never get bored of climbing historical sites and scanning the landscapes

Gothic

An RPG series developed by Piranha Bytes, quite old and with dated graphics. You are a no-name convict that tries to escape from a magical prison(in G1), then tries to escape from the Island that was housing the prison (G2) then bring peace to the land(G3) .

Why did I mention this series? Because the world building is quite well done in my opinion,game is punishing, you are literally worse than a worm in the beginning and you have to claw your way up to the top of the food chain. although the ending is kinda the same, in each Gothic game you can approach that ending in whatever way you desire, therefore replayability is high. Also there are little details that really are well thought  (smoking weed to increase mana or shrinking an unbeatable troll)

Disciples

If there is a game series that I could play even 20 years from now,that would be Disciples series, a fantasy Turn Based Strategy. Basically it's a grim version of Heroes of Might and Magic, but instead of hexagonal grids you have to arrange your army and attack in turns ( hexagonal grids were adopted in Disciples 3 and i wasn't a fan ,rest assured). You can play with up to 5 playable races (in disciples 2 ) , you got  YE OLDE MAP EDITOR where you created your own quests, the world building is very well done and the gothic like artstyle is really pleasant for the eyes(yes even the 1999 Disciples 1 had awesome artstyle for its time)

Dark Souls + Bloodborne

A series that needs no introduction , know for its tough but fair combat and convoluted story. Dark souls 1 remains a personal favorite, Fromsoftware really wrote themselves into history with this series. To note, I won't add Sekiro yet in this bunch, Sekiro feels way too different from Soulsborne.

The Witcher

Again, another popular series, witcher is a dream come true, for those who are bored of the traditional hero loved by the masses and feared by everyone(looking at you Elder Scrolls series). I love Witcher for 3 reasons : Folklore, Story and Geralt. The games do not excel at gameplay ( honestly combat in Witcher 1 was atrocious and Witcher 2 was punishing unless you buffed your Quen) but damn if the story and the char development ain't a straight 10/10. Witcher 3 is my personal nr 1 game and has one of the best villains ever( Gaunter O'Dimm anyone? ). Can't praise it enough.

Honorable mentions : Games that were lost into time - Gothic series (German RPG, very VERY good but dated) and Disciples( turn based strategy, like HoMM but serious). Both are for PC only , strongly recommending them

Edit : Actually I will remove God of War and Devil May Cry because after playing them , I wouldn't touch them anymore. replayability is low.  Added them below.

Honorable mentions : 

God of War

Hack & Slash? Checked. Ability to combo the enemies in the most gruesome way ever? Checked. Demolishing an entire pantheon of gods and mythological creatures? CHECKED.

God of War is one hell of a ride from the first till the last. Especially now that Kratos is done with Greek gods and moves to Norse ones... oh boy the carnage.

Devil May Cry

Hack and slash + combo enemies + whacky weaponries + a protagonist that surfs on enemies while eating pizza/Doing a really sexy dance with innuendos and spears/Michael Jackson-ing around while hell breaks loose? SIGN ME UP ! Devil May Cry is basically the most SSStylish hack and slash there is and there's no reason to skip this series if you like over the top ridiculous ( and punishing) combat and gameplay.

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 2

My top 5 would be:

1- Borderlands: Since I played the first one I fell in love with...

2- Grand Theft Auto: Nothing to say in particular, I've been playing GTA since PS1 with GTA2...

3- Hitman: I remember that he controlled that bald assassin as a child, and I think he never gets to finish the first game of this saga...

4- Need For Speed: I have always liked driving games, and NFS marked my childhood (including also Gran Turismo but I prefer NFS)...

5- And at the last I have a difficult decision between Devil May Cry and FarCry, so it would be 50/50

• Like 1

So many choices but will have to go with;

Yakuza                  great atmosphere and story

Max Payne           super protagonist

Syphon Filter       start of my love for shooters and great online friends found

Far Cry                 always an interesting and new location to explore

Sniper Elite          slo mo cam never gets old

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1. Bioshock - easily my favorite franchise. great story, environmental story telling, game play is fun and engaging..\

2. Call of Duty - As far as time played this is easily my top franchise. 

3. Borderlands - Fun looter shooter, fun game play and comical writing. Very excited for 3 to come out

4. Spyro - My childhood in one word

5. Fallout - Lets not talk about 76... that one doesnt count. 

Honorable mentions: NBA 2k, Diablo, Elders Scrolls, Madden NFL

EDIT: I forgot Uncharted!! that would probably take a spot in the top 5 but don't know which one to remove

Edited by Justin_VaD
  • Like 1

Persona 3 FES: Played that game all through highschool and has become sort of a comfort food when I need a bit of cheering up. I just love it

Deadly Premonition: Twin Peaks inspired jank is my cup of coffee

Final Fantasy X: It's a classic for good reason

Yakuza: Love everything about it

Resident Evil 2 Remake: Couldn't put it down when I first got it. I'm afraid to get sucked in again by playing the DLC

• Like 1