State of Play thoughts? (Plat Cast Topic)

ChernobylNinja

Hey guys as many of you know @Bushido7745785 and myself host a podcast called Plat Cast and every week we ask a topic for discussion here on psnprofiles and we read out your responses on our podcast and our topic this week is:

What were your thoughts on the Sony State of Play? 

Also join our discord! We talk about anything and everything and is the best way to suggest topics/chat with Zack (he is there he just lurks!) and myself discord.gg/hbTaVvh 

I already gave my opinion in the discord but for those who haven't joined (And what the hells stopping you btw) I think it was just "Meh".

Partly I think Sony are their own worst enemies in a way. Everyone tuning in would want to hear about either Last of Us Part 2, Death Stranding or Ghosts of Tsushima so if they had no info to share for any of those games I think most people would think "Whats the point?". Having so many amazing games that we know are coming has set them up for a bit of a fall when they don't mention them.

They didn't really show anything new either they were pretty much all games we knew about before. I also think the decision to end with MK 11 was bizarre. Anyone who has even a passing interest in that game has been getting announcement from the Kombat Kast every two weeks or so.

I like the idea of sporadic PlayStation announcements but maybe just wait until you have something that will get people talking rather than just announcing for announcements sake.

To end on a high though I do think Observation looks really cool and I have preordered so I guess it wasn't a total bust.

Edited by HolteEndHero88

I think my expectations were set too high for the stream. I wasn’t expecting HUGE news but I was expecting maybe a confirmed date for the upcoming exclusives, I just wanted 1 date, is that too much to ask? I’m glad to see that Sony is supporting VR but I still don’t own one so the majority of the presentation didn’t appeal to me. Too little news for what they were hyping this to be and now my expectations are very low for the next one they put out. Also a missed opportunity to announce ps plus games for April but I guess that would have disappointed me even more because they’re lackluster this month. Guess that’s why they didn’t even include them in the stream because they’re nothing to brag about. 

Edited by Aceboy9

I love the support for the VR, but I think they overdid it a little. Most PS4 owners don't own a VR so a lot of it didn't even apply to your primary audience.

I think they should save these for release dates or teasers for their big guns (TLOU2, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, etc). Not for niche games.

So in the end, I personally liked it, but I 100% understand why others did not.

It is an underwhelming lineup. They went heavy on VR which I understand they want to grow it, but I think they needed more of non-VR mix of games or games that could support both. Here are my reactions to the bigger titles being released:

• Iron man VR- Is this just an Iron man combat flight simulator, because we just had Ace Combat released in VR. In my mind this should be a lot cooler than what they showed us. Also, they couldn't get RDJ to voice it? Bad sign.
  • Crash Team Racing - Could be fun. Are the characters blocky as a throwback? It just seems sloppy.
  • No Mans Sky - They really just need to make this a free-to-play game at this point. They keep sinking money into updates and people wrote it off a month after it came out.
  • Ready Set Heroes - Meh.
  • Blood and Truth - This looks cool, but I am definitely not pre-ordering it.
  • Observation - This looks pretty strange. If you are a space station that is observing then is it really a game or just a playable movie? I am getting a "pay $60 for a 4 hour game with no replay" vibe.
  • Concrete Genie - What do you get when you cross Infamous Second Son and Super Mario Sunshine and turn it into a playable Pixar movie?
  • Days Gone - Norman Reedus missed out on this one. Now he is trapped in an tar pit while trying to deliver a fetus.
  • Mortal Kombat 11 - Not interested, but at least the trailer was lighthearted and humorous.

Edited by Bos10George

Honestly, I quite liked it.  It's nice to finally have some decent VR titles to look forward to, even if the Iron Man title looked a bit pants.  No Mans Sky VR will definitely tempt me back into that game, 'Blood & Truth' looked good, and 'Observation' really intrigued me and I want to learn more about that.

As for the non-VR games, if 'Crash Team Racing' is as good as the original, then that will be a blast, and the fact that 'Days Gone' is not being over hyped is a good thing in my book.  Hopefully it will be better than people are expecting.  Too many games have over-hyped and under-delivered this gen, so fingers crossed this is just Sony learning from it's mistakes.

In terms of the, so called, backlash against this new type of promotion Sony are doing, I kind of understand the criticism.  I was a big fan of E3 and always looked forward to it, so if this is what is replacing it, then yeah, that is a bit disappointing.  That said, we are nearing the end of this gen and what new titles Sony may be working on, I would guess, would be being saved as next-gen releases.  We already know that 'The Last Of Us 2' & 'Death Stranding' are still to come, so had they just released a trailer with yet more teasers for those, people would equally be annoyed that there wasn't anything new.  It's Catch-22 I guess and all depends on when the next gen will be announced.  Who will pull the trigger first on revealing their next gen console (if it even will still be a traditional console), Sony or Microsoft - and whenever that is, will the rival company be ready to counter that with a good first party launch list.  Just got to wait and see.

I'm in the minority, but I liked it. I can't lie and say I wasn't expecting more, but once I realized what it's supposed to be, I really liked it. As a PSVR owner, new updates and games are exciting (Iron Man VR!). The last hurrah for the some of the last exclusives confirmed for this year was good too (Days Gone, Concrete Genie). I was already sold on them, but I honestly forgot Concrete Genie was a thing lmao. Looking forward to more of these State of Play broadcasts for sure. ?

Edited by Crazy

I cared about roughly 21.7% of the content presented, which pretty much lines up with my opinion of contemporary gaming as a whole anyway. It wouldn't kill them to introduce more--indeed, any--personality to the proceedings.

I'll probably stick with just watching trailers and previews separately if this is all it's gonna be. 

These answers were REALLY good this week y'all! It's interesting to see people's thoughts on where the market is heading, and listen to the collective ups and downs of watching a presentation like this instead of the traditional E3 format! Thanks gang, you killed it! :)

• 4 years later...