Your hardest platinum that is NOT Ultra Rare

AJ_Radio

I've seen quite a few mentions of Kingdom Hearts 2 (I still have yet to plat that), however I'm going with the original PS3 version of Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix (6.51%). Some of the key differences between this and the re-release on PS4 were the Gummi Ship trophies, and having to play through 3 separate times as the difficulties didn't stack! Playing on Proud Mode could be a bit daunting without picking the proper set up right from the beginning. But it was thoroughly enjoyable and worth the 100+ hour grind!

10 hours ago, ONUOsFan said:

How is Dead Space 2 not Ultra Rare?? I've never had the nerve to try to get that one, even though I did play through the story once. ,

I like browsing various games on this site, and I see most non UR plats which requires greater amount of effort are AAA games, like mentioned Dead Space, The Last of Us, Crash Bandicoot or Bloodborne. Probably people are more motivated to platinum those than cheaper indie titles they don't care to complete.

9 hours ago, Xx_Kornetti_xX said:

The End Is Nigh, not as challenging as Super Meat Boy's platinum but still rage-inducing.

I second that, 5.13% rarity is crazy for a game with ~9/10 difficulty. Small amount of owners (153) is the main reason, and mostly Super Meat Boy fans bought this title. But if you subtract deathless chapters from SMB, The End is Nigh beats SMB to pulp in terms of difficulty.

I just remembered that I gave up on, and traded in Terminator Salvation in 2011, so that's my hardest extremely not rare platinum that I don't have.  Back then, before $4 indie autoplats, probably the least impressive thing on anybody's list besides NCIS or Hannah Montana

I've obtained some difficult platinums but one that I am amazed of that it is not an ultra rare one is most definitely Crash Bandicoot 1. Those time trials were a pain in the ***. 

Had to do like 4 hours of trial and error for the level with the wooden bridge. Same for the extra dlc level. 

• Like 2

Assassin's Creed III for the PS3. Let's see....it has the Original Gamer trophy (Fanorona, Morris) plus several naval missions/ Privateer Contracts that may be hard, the An Extraordinary Man trophy that some people have issues with, the Delivery Requests that for some reason doesn't track and the game doesn't tell you were to find and start them, Full Synchronization EVERYTHING, the Head in the Cloud trophy that some people also have issues with and the pretty easy multiplayer.

The multiplayer trophies can be done in 2/3 hours.

It became much easier when it came to the PS4. The Aquila missions were much easier this time around. Including that one where you have to expose the gunpowder side to 3 ships.

Took me 3 tries this time. ?

Edited by Jamescush147
  • Like 2

I'd probably have to go with Dead Cells, which in the EU-version sits at roughly 6%. 

From what I hear, though, it is very likely that Hollow Knight (EU ~5.8%) will take the title once I'm done with it. Only have the pantheons left, but they will take a while to complete. 

For me it was God of War (2018). Reason is, that I was playing it on Hard difficulty on my first and only playthrough. The trials of muspelheim and niflheim as well the nine valkyries were quite the challenge. Was really satisfied and happy when I beat sigrun. Fun and just a great game:)

• Like 1

I haven’t seen this game mentioned yet, so I’ll go with it:

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

This was mainly due to one trophy in particular: Demolition Man (Get 20 demolish kills). Attempting to do this legit back in the day was such a difficult task. In order to get a demolish kill, you had to kill an enemy by destroying a house with them inside it. Looking at the time stamps on my trophy list, seems it took me around a month of trying before I got it. 

12 hours ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

I like browsing various games on this site, and I see most non UR plats which requires greater amount of effort are AAA games, like mentioned Dead Space, The Last of Us, Crash Bandicoot or Bloodborne. Probably people are more motivated to platinum those than cheaper indie titles they don't care to complete.

Dust: An Elysian Tail is an easy platinum but is a Very Rare rarity. Not comparable to most AAA games since you generally have to do quite a bit to earn a platinum that is Very Rare or lower.

Assassins Creed III for instance requires a lot out of you to earn it's platinum, notably the Completionist trophy which has you doing everything in addition to 100 percent syncing all the main missions.

All of the Soulsborne games are Uncommon to Rare in rarity but are far more difficult and time consuming than most Uncommon platinum trophies are in terms of difficulty, especially for niche indie games. A number of indie titles have low rarity because most people probably just played them for 30 - 60 minutes, decided it wasn't for them and moved on.

I have played a number of indie games that I myself enjoyed that were far more easy than the rarity suggests. On the flip side, Dead Space 2 was rather difficult for only being a Very Rare platinum.

Just more proof that just because something is Rare or Uncommon, doesn't mean it will be Difficult or Easy respectively.

Guacamelee 2 has rather high trophy percentages, but I often hear it's difficult at times and/or aggravating. Given the low number of game owners for that specific game, we can assume that most people knew what they were getting into when they bought it, and they were probably fans of the first game.

Edited by Spaz

Final Fantasy IX. 

Not extremely difficult but this should have been an UR platinum. We all know why it isn’t. In terms of difficulty this game can be compared really good with Pier Solar and the Great Architects. Many missables, many battles and one minigame that ramps up the difficulty significantly. I played these games back to back and would say FFIX is slightly harder. Pier Solar sits at 1.04% and FFIX at 5.79%.

Metal Gear Solid 2.

Beating the game multiple times on several difficulties collecting all dog tags, playing and finishing 500 VR Missions... I did it but the plat is insane. And so am I apparently. 

(Dis)Honorable mention to Final Fantasy X-2; unlike MGS2 which was fun most of the time, FFX-2 was a slog from beginning to end. The trophy for getting 100% completion means following a VERY precise way of doing things (go here, talk to this NPC, now go there and talk to that guy, choose option 3, beat boss, talk to NPC et cetera). You have to keep checking a walkthrough and at certain points to see if the completion % matches what it should be. Even worse: if you do some things out of order you may end up locked out of the 100% for that campaign. Not. Fun.

• Like 1

For me it was probably The Last of Us Remastered (it's really close to UR but technically isn't). The Grounded+ mode was very challenging for me. I opted not to play the chapters backwards to get all of the supplies from the easy playthrough. The school gymnasium and The Hunt from the Resort were especially challenging for me, mostly due to a lack of supplies. It took several attempts at both, but fortunately the check points were generous (especially during The Hunt). 

A surprisingly hard one for me was A Hat in Time. I'm really surprised that the completion percentage is as high as it is because some of those trophies were pretty hard. I really struggled with climbing the giant mushroom and had a pretty hard time with The Big Parade and The Train as well.

• Like 1

Duke Nukem Forever and Of Orcs and Men. Pure difficulty goes to Of Orcs and Men, 15 hours straight of playtime and it was speed run of trial and error that last boss fight made me so damn angry. Duke Nukem was tough but the real difficulty was self imposed as I had stayed up for 33 hours playing non stop to snag the fastest 100% time. I think I had a severe headache at the 26 hour mark but pushed on for another 7 hours using Mountain Dew to finally grab the #1.