DBD: Tips for Noobs?

I'm planning on starting this game this weekend and wanted a few pointers on how to be successful as both a survivor and a killer (other than stay alive and kill the survivors, lol).

I'm looking for: 

Best survivors/killers/perks

Good strategies for both

What NOT to do

Best way to earn blood points as each

Any other general tips you find useful

Thanks!

I normally dont do this but want tips Get Self Care perk for Survivor and for the Killer Hex No One Escapes Death everything else do your own way. If you follow a youtubers guide 90% of the videos are insulting you saying play it this way no not that way if you play it this way your stupid its also the same thing on livestreams. And in my advice it should be have fun do what ever you want some one says you half to play it this or that or this that way or that way then your not having fun your way your being forced to play it a way that you dont want to. Ive been goofing off in a few games with some people in a party with a handicap and no Self Care made for some interresting lols. So as i said Self Care No Ed aka No One Escapes Death everything else dosent matter you see some perk you like go for it unlocking it and have fun. Any one tells you others wise doesnt really play for fun they just play to win and games arent about just winning its also about having fun. And if any one else tells you following the videos and livestreams makes you better youll be called out on games for teabaging using every perk under the book that everyone else does and a copy cat games nice but copying others shows you have no talent to play other than the way you see them viewed on streams and youtube and i am venting because alot of matches i see as killer of survivor just teabagging around me thinking its funny when all it does is distract me into not wanting to play and at some points i leave the game and they complain because there own ego to insult others or make the game a big joke its suppose to be fun but you really shouldnt insult others which is a thing youtubes do alot so fair warning anyone gives you videos and in that video it says teabag to do this or that im gonna say ignore it youll either die or the killeer will leave and in the end you lose more people playing the game. Okay im done enjoy the game and remember making people mad and griefing them doesnt make it fun for others it makes them quit and sometimes never come back which leads to servers dieing.

• Like 1

I love this game and have alot of fun with it but due to it being all online that's the big downside. Just prepare your self for lots of stupid hate messages from idiots pissing n moaning that you killed them, that you are a camper and all the rest of their shite. If I had £1 for every message I have got since I started played I think I'd be rich! There are way too many annoying arseholes when it comes to this game. 

Okay, here's what I have learned so far in case someone else needs some tips as a survivor:

1.) Crouch any time you are hiding from the killer and hear the heartbeat. Dark areas and slightly behind doorways, boxes, rocks, between trees, etc. work wonders.

2.) If you are working on the generator and hear the heartbeat, GTFO of there!

3.) Don't f-up your skill checks and if you do, run.

4.) Don't run and vault over stuff. The killer can see it.

5.) If the killer is camping on someone being sacrificed either team up with some else and distract and save or go work on generators.

6.) Self-heal is the best perk. Claudette starts with it, but eventually, everyone can learn it. She's the easiest survivor to start as a noob, imo.

7.) Sometimes, it's best to take a hit for someone else when at full health. You get points for it too. Usually when near the escape or when someone is unhooked and running away.

8.) Start the match slow to figure out where the killer is, where nearby teammates are, and nearby generators are. Starting off by running is risky and could lead you straight to the killer.

9.) Working and sticking with someone else nets you the most points as survivors. Survival alone gets you 5,000 which is a good chunk of change. Also, do the daily rituals if possible!

10.) Try to find chests as they can help you with healing/repairs if you don't have any items.

• Like 1

@Beyondthegrave07

11) If a survivor is hooked and you see another survivor’s state goes injured, or the Obsession is getting chased, don’t hesitate to rescue while the killer is distracted. The more survivors alive, the quicker your team escapes.

12) If you get a curse by a hex totem, like Ruin perk, you should look after it and cleanse it. Cleanse even dull totems you may find, because if a killer has No One Escapes Death perk equipped, one of the remaining dull totems becomes the hex for this perk.

13) Try to trick the killer with the marks you leave while running. If you’re out of the killer’s sight, you can stop running, take another direction and hide.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd add a few recommended perks for survivors and killers after you get adept for each character. Not necessarily the best, but I have found them extremely useful:

Survivors: 

Borrowed Time - my favorite perk, especially for altruism

Self-care - almost a must

Sabotage - great for easy points

Adrenaline - great for running away with exit on

Balanced Landing - great for running away in general

Decisive Strike - essentially saves you from getting hooked

Kindred - helps other survivors save you while hooked

Urban Evasion - great for sneaking

Unbreakable - saves you in a dying state. Especially helpful once all generators are active

Spine Chill - helps while repairing

Empathy - this can tell you where the killer is or get you points for healing a teammate

Killer:

Hex: Ruin - so OP and unfair. You can literally screw over a whole game with this one perk.

Hex: No one escapes death - great for last minute points/sacrifices!

Nurse's Calling - can essentially find survivors healing

Sloppy Butcher - makes it harder to heal wounds I think?

Whispers - essentially tells you when survivors are hiding nearby

Here's essentially a tier list from players who are interested. I still find some skills better than others, but to each their own.

https://dennisreep.nl/dbd/perks/killer/

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Grammar
  • Like 1

Don’t drop pallets if you do not need to. Dropping a pallet when the killer is no where close to hitting you almost just wastes the pallet most of the time.

also try to look behind you while you are running from a killer.

for killer don’t be afraid to break pallets or take the time to hit a generator before chasing. You are quicker than the survivor and can take the time to do these things. Don’t waste your time chasing a survivor if they are clearly good at looping these survivors will waste your time and all the other survivors will gen rush and escape.

4 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

II thought I'd add a few recommended perks for survivors and killers after you get adept for each character. Not necessarily the best, but I have found them extremely useful:

Survivors: 

Borrowed Time - my favorite perk, especially for altruism

Self-care - almost a must

Sabotage - great for easy points

Adrenaline - great for running away with exit on

Balanced Landing - great for running away in general

Decisive Strike - essentially saves you from getting hooked

Kindred - helps other survivors save you while hooked

Urban Evasion - great for sneaking

Unbreakable - saves you in a dying state. Especially helpful once all generators are active

Spine Chill - helps while repairing

Empathy - this can tell you where the killer is or get you points for healing a teammate

Killer:

Hex: Ruin - so OP and unfair. You can literally screw over a whole game with this one perk.

Hex: No one escapes death - great for last minute points/sacrifices!

Nurse's Calling - can essentially find survivors healing

Sloppy Butcher - makes it harder to heal wounds I think?

Whispers - essentially tells you when survivors are hiding nearby

Here's essentially a tier list from players who are interested. I still find some skills better than others, but to each their own.

https://dennisreep.nl/dbd/perks/killer/

Great killer perks but I would add spirit fury so you don't get pallet looped forever and BBQ & Chili to bring in a ton of BP

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WardenOfWisps said:

I would start with survivor claudette because she has healing perks like self heal. For killers, i started with the huntress and hag

I heard that the hag was the best to start off with with the hex ruin. I started off with the trapper and within 10 games got merciless killer. Him and the Hillbilly would be fine too imo. Definitely not the doctor though, lol. I've used him a few times and I still can't get the timing of when to attack versus when to pull them into madness very well. Getting better but still a work in progress.

3 minutes ago, ClintonLS90 said:

Great killer perks but I would add spirit fury so you don't get pallet looped forever and BBQ & Chili to bring in a ton of BP

Agreed, I haven't used those yet though!

• Like 1

That's been my experience playing with him and against him. He's an annoying killer to go up against that's for sure.  I'd still rather see doctor then someone who is really good with Billy or Nurse though. There are some bad Nurse's but the good one's will end a match in 5 minutes flat

I don't recommend using "Self-Care." It takes too long to heal yourself. Just bring in a Med-Kit if you really need to heal yourself or find a teammate to heal you. I would prioritise perks that benefit your team. I recommend using Borrowed Time, it's found in the blood web by default and isn't a teachable perk on PS4.

You should use at least one exhaustion perk such as: Sprint Burst (Meg), Lithe, Dead Hard, Head On (Jane) or Balanced Landing. Pick one of those. Adrenaline (Meg) is also an exhaustion perk but it overrides the previous perks exhaustion status so it's okay to run both. I personally think Sprint Burst is overrated and Head On is situational and for more experienced players so I would pick either Lithe (Feng), Dead Hard (David)  or Balanced Landing (Nea) if you're new.

Decisive Strike (Laurie) is a good perk that is used to prevent killers from tunnelling you. If you just went down after being saved by a teammate, you'll get a skill check and if you hit it, you'll break free from the killer's grasp. It only activates if the killer is going to hook you twice in a row and you can only use it once per trial. Yes, she's a paid DLC character but you can get her perk from the Shrine of Secrets, if it's available that week, by spending Iridescent Shards (the in game currency.)

For Survivors:

- Do not run all the time. You will leave scratch marks up to your current location, and smart killers will follow them and get you. Scratch marks do not disappear as fast as you think they do.
- When you run away from the killer, stop when you think you lost him and crouch and go towards the way you came from. In most cases, the killers will think that you are running forward and not doubling back.
- Iron Will is one of the most underrated perks, make use of it. At level 3, the noise your character makes when injured are numbed down.
- Urban Evasion is an excellent perk to move around the map when utilizing cover-to-cover movement. 
- David's Dead Hard may come in handy in many situations. It takes practice (and sometimes a lot of luck) to use it properly, though.
- Depending on your playstyle, you may want to use one of the Exhaustion perks. I recommend Lithe, Dead Hard, or Sprint Burst.
- Don't use Laurie's Object of Obsession if you are not confident in your skills.
- Don't cower in the corner for the entire game. Your teammates will know that you are doing nothing and will not assist you in your time of need. 
- When you fail a skill check, running is an option, not a must. Hiding behind a broken generator is as good as hiding behind any cover. Move around the generator along with the killer; chances are he might not see you there, and you may continue working on the generator when he leaves the vicinity.
- If you want to use a flashlight, then wait for the moment when the killer is breaking a pallet or picking someone up. 
- Destroy totems.

Tips for dealing with specific killers

The Trapper
Be cautious of your surrounding, primarily grassy areas and places around pallets or windows. Trappers usually place their traps there.

The Wraith
You can see the Wraith's silhouette when he moves around. Remember that as this may save you in a lot of situationss: The Wraith gains a speed boost when he comes out stealth, so be mindful of your distance from him as he may close on you fast.

The Nurse
Count the number of blinks she does when she chases you. After two or three blinks, she will stop for a brief moment. Hide from the killer's view then. Also, when she warps at you, run back - this will confuse the player who plays as the Nurse. 

Drop the pallet act with her. People who play the Nurse may teleport to you and smack you way before you drop the pallet.

The Shape
Don't let him stalk you. If you drop a pallet, run away instead of standing there with him. The Shape will keep stalking you, which will make your life harder later.

The Hag
Phantasm Traps can be avoided by crouching, and they are destroyed with the flashlight. 

The Nightmare
He may look impossible to beat at first, but i quite manageable when you learn how to work around him. At this moment, The Nightmare must draw you into his Dream World before he can harm you. Don't be scared of him when he hooks somebody. It takes ages for him to draw you into his world, and before he does that you will unhook the person already.
if The Nightmare is chasing you, approach generators, if you can - failing skill checks, will wake you up. If you use Self-Care, then heal yourself when you can and fail a skill check.

The Clown
Beware of Bamboozle as it will decrease your getaway options.

The Ghost Face
He sports a similar skill to the Shape and can down you very quickly. Be mindful of your surroundings and hide if you see him. 

The Cannibal
Run around obstacles when he uses his chainsaw. You can get him stuck on them for a very long time. 

I can't think of anything for the remaining killers, sorry.

For Killers:

-  Nurse's Calling and Barbecue and Chilli are great for taking down survivors. The first allows you to see the auras of survivors who are healing themselves or being healed, and the latter lets you see the auras of survivors who are away from the person you just hooked for a brief moment.
- Spirit Fury is a fantastic anti-pallet perk. After a few stuns, the next pallet that would stun you is instantly destroyed.
- Discordance is a fun perk for survivors that like to work in a group. 
- Hex: Ruin and Thanatophobia are good perks for slowing the generator's repair time.
- Brutal Strength, Enduring, and Lightborn work wonders.
- Do you see one of those pesky survivors grab a flashlight when in a lobby? Equip Franklin's Demise to make them drop the flashlight and damage it a little.
- Use Bamboozle to "close" windows for a few seconds.
- Monitor & Abuse is a great perk when you want to sneak up on someone.
- If you are that kind of a person, then you might as well use Hex: Ruin and Hex: Huntress Lullaby combo. 
- Hex: No One Espaces Death is a good last resort perk.
- Do not, I repeat, do not over-rely on your hex totems. Yes, Hex: Ruin is great, but it does not determine that you win the game.
- For the love of God, do not camp, face camp, or stay near the hooked person for the entire game. You want to get points, a lot of points. Every game. You will not do that if you camp all the time. Plus, when you play against an organized group, then they will rush you and run away before you know it.
- Face a rock, a wall, or an obstacle when picking someone up. Survivors may blind you with a flashlight, causing you to drop the person you picked up immediately.
- Mind games are the foundation of this game. Be smart, be efficient, be unpredictable. You are chasing a survivor, but you see another one hiding behind a rock? Smack him, and chase him instead. 
- This game is a race against time. There is nothing wrong in stopping chasing one survivor. There are situations that you are chasing someone for ages, and the looping never ends. If it happens, stop chasing that person and go after someone else.
- Place your hands around your head, on your eyes. Do you feel anything there? Nothing? Does nothing cover your eyes from any side? No? Good, then stop tunneling that one person that you are chasing for half of the game, it makes you look stupid. 

Killer-specific tips

The Trapper
Place your traps around corners, in grassy areas, near pallets, etc. You want to place them in places where survivors run. 

The Wraith
Don't forget that you get a speed boost when you exit stealth. Enter and leave stealth to cover more ground quickly.

The Hillbilly
Your chainsaw is your friend. Not only it allows you to run around the map like crazy, but it also downs survivors in one hit. Use it much, don't rely on it too much.

The Nurse
Use your skill all the time. The Nurse is a slow killer, but her strength is in her action skill. She is one of the hardest killers to master, but when appropriately played, she can pressure the survivors like no other killer.

The Shape
One of my favorite killers. The Shape's strength is his ability to stalk other survivors. Work with his potential in sneaking to the survivors, and get that Evil Within level increases fast.

The Hag
Similar to the Trapper, but she can teleport to her traps. Not much to say here. She is easy to play with.

The Doctor
Increasing the survivors' madness is key to victory, and will make their life hell.

The Huntress
The campers' favorite killer (it just so happens). Her hatchets are amazing to scare and injure survivors. Use the Nurse's Calling with her.

The Cannibal
Hillbilly-wannabe. Use add-ons that increase your movement speed when using your chainsaw to close the distance. Try not to ram into things as doing this will stun you for ages.

The Pig
Don't forget that you bring your toys with you when you enter the game. Use them in strategic moments. Also, her traps activate after a generator is repaired. If you don't know where a survivor is, then try looking around the machines that allow them to remove your traps from their heads. 

Important: With the introduction of Endgame Collapse, the survivors can now leave the game through the Exit Gate even if they have a reverse bear trap on their head.

The Clown
You are an anti-looping god. Your skill slows the survivors down, and with proper add-ons gives them the Exposed status. Plus Bamboozle.

The Nightmare, The Spirit, and The Plague
Never played as these killers. 

The Legion and The Ghost Face
I have played them for a few games only and can say much about them.

Edited by Iksde
  • Like 2

everything important has pretty much been said except this:

- don't be afraid of the killer don't give up map pressure by hiding and wasting times opening chests goofing around or cleansing dull totems when 0 gens has been done, prioritize gens first and if the game is going good (getting 3+ gens with less than 5 hooks) then go for dulls and chests as you like. also for the love of god don't use urban evasion it's gonna hurt you on the long run as you're giving map pressure for free to the killer while wasting your time

- try to separate gens, making sure you don't "3 gen" yourselves, work on harder gens first especially the ones in the middle because you can separate the map making the killer walk further between gen so he can't easily protect them

- learn how to loop and not waste pallets immediately, also don't waste shack pallet early game because you can milk the window 3 times and move to another location without having to drop it.

- ALWAYS use an exhaustion perk, balanced landing is the best for losing the killer while Dead hard is best if you want to loop and take the aggro for your team longer.

- best perks for survivors are Borrowed time (in case you face a camper or a proxy camper) Exhaustion perk (DH or BL), Adrenaline, Decisive strike (but can be replaced with other perks like self care, prove thyself, We'll make it, Deliverance or whatever you like)

- Always 99% a door if someone is down so you don't start the end game collapse (if you start EGC you'll have 2 minutes to leave or you die)

- when you familiarize yourself with this game try to count and identify the killer perks and add ons, for example when the game start and you see ruin that's perk #1, when you get hit and you see sloppy butcher that's #2, if the killer hooked someone and came directly to you that's BBQ & chilli which is perk #3, if you stun the killer and he recover fast that's enduring which is perk #4, this way you can play knowing his strengths and weaknesses, in this example this mean you can heal in the killer terror radius knowing they don't have nurses calling, also you don't have to cleanse dull totems because they don't have NOED! as for add ons you know if they have faster chainsaw movement, or faster charge speed (insta rev chainsaw) for billy, or if they have 3 or 4 blinks as the nurse and you can loop and play accordingly!

Edited by HaweGame
  • Like 1