Hardest boss?

17 minutes ago, Single_Shade said:

Currently grinding out the skill points required for all skills, and it takes a LOT of exp for each point right now, something around 65k each (which is basically 2.5 main boss fights worth on NG+4) and it keeps going up. Not too sure if it's a good idea to put a whole 5 into attack until you've got all of them honestly, assuming you're going for the plat. 

I'd like to try for the Plat but I have to get past Sword Saint and Demon of Hatred first. :D I don't even want to mess with the latter on NG+ so I'd rather get his trophy now and if that means more grinding for the all skills trophy later, then so be it. 

3 hours ago, Killbomb said:

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of farming skill points for a while and putting them into attack power to improve my chances against Sword Saint and Demon of Hatred. They are so much harder than anything before them to me. Gave the game a break after Sword Saint nearly made me bite my controller in half but I've been itching to get back to it. 

If you want my opinion, don't. Attack power won't help much against Ishhin because he blocks so much; I broke his posture with him having 80%+ health on each bar. I didn't notice a difference in damage output at all, and I put +3 into strength. Based on other posts such as the one from Single_Shade, the grind for all skills trophy is brutal and I've made my grind a lot longer. Haven't got there yet, but I'll be sure to let you know just how much more experience I needed.

1. Isshin Sword Saint - mainly because you have to go through 2 boss fights to even START to learn an entire new series of movesets, and it's a righteous pain in the #*$. And I'm still on him. This was the first fight that made me get so upset I just shut the game down after throwing my controller. It is not even a fun fight. And if beating him wasn't tied to 5 trophies  (beating him, all bosses, 3 story endings), I probably would let it go at this point and just move on ... 

2. Owl (Father) - 2nd Fight in Hinata Estates - this guy took me a couple hours to learn his moves, and I was literally shaking when I finally got the final deathblow on him.

Early on?

The Drunkard in HInata Estates probably killed me a good 20-30 times before I finally got him. I also wasn't trying to deflect at all.

On 3/31/2019 at 7:06 AM, nudoetcrudo said:

? 15 str? So you spent 30 skill points on it, right? (I had 11 and raised str twice). You will have to farm those 30 skill points to get the all skills trophy later, it's going to be so boring :D 

For some reason I was never able to use the whistle during phase 3. I saved it for that part and then it wasn't working even if I used it at very different times (before/after different attacks). Not sure when the demon is vulnerable to it.

You can only use the whistle when he is not attacking or doing attack animation. I spammed this in 3rd phase, and used it right AFTER his attack, and then right after he came out of it. I literally stun-locked him 4x in a row, then one attack, the last 2x of uses, and finished him off. 

Emma + Isshin (Shura) - This fight was the only one that frustrated me and it's because of the unpredictability of the bosses. They'll just walk around for almost 30 seconds sometimes and the second I go in to attack they'd react with something that would hit me first. Strangely enough, they'd react with an attack almost instantly whenever I tried to heal. It was as if I was playing a human at times. Essentially, the difficulty of this fight stemmed from the bosses just testing my patience. The small amount of room and playing it on NG+ didn't help either.

Aside from that, I don't think any of the other bosses were particularly difficult. There were several that seemed daunting at first such as Owl (father) and Sword Saint Isshin, but defeating them is just a matter of patience and taking advantage of the holes in their movesets.

I've admittedly gotten through a ton of the bosses during my first playthrough of the game by cheesing them, so I'm basing this completely off the list of bosses that I could not for the life of me handle in any way other than developing the reflexes and knowledge to outmaneuver them.

And the winner, beyond all reasonable doubt, is absolutely Isshin, the Sword Saint - as if he had any competition. 

Owl (2nd) - never died so many times on any boss. Even when I knew his entire moveset and could predict everything he does, I was still getting beaten and could not understand why. Finally I got a lucky run with some easy moves and managed to beat him.

Isshin Sword Saint - "are you fing kidding me" was my first reaction when I realized you basically have to go through 4 phases in this fight. But the first boss is like a 30 second warm up, and the first life of the true boss is also easy. Went through 50% of the fight on my first try, but could not find a way to deal with his moveset in phase 3 and 4. Died 3596 times until I realized you can easily bait attacks desired by you. My favourite was his slow jumping attack which you could activate by keeping away from him at a certain distance. You would just have to dodge away and could easily land 2-3 hits. Otherwise he would do the charging stab attack which was also what I was waiting for - Mikiri Counter time!

Demon of Hatred - Bloodborne boss in my Sekiro game? Well then, this will be easy. It wasn't :D

I haven't done DoH or Sword Saint yet, but so far the hardest by far for me was the miniboss 'Lone Shadow Masanaga the Spear-Bearer'. I bashed my head against him for a good hour and a half, and even then I only won because his AI broke and he stopped fighting back. I'm a bit surprised to see so many people saying Owl 2.0, I got him on my second try. It's a pretty straightforward fight once you realize he doesn't really have that many moves, or change up his combos. Play patiently/defensively, whittle him down to around half health, and break his posture from there.

5 minutes ago, Xylobe said:

I haven't done DoH or Sword Saint yet, but so far the hardest by far for me was the miniboss 'Lone Shadow Masanaga the Spear-Bearer'.

The camera is the true boss in that fight. 

Anyway, you can backstab for 1 free deathblow, then just deflect and mikiri is kick. He goes down in 20 secs.

(Unless the camera went crazy, then I was the one dying in 20 sec lol)

Edited by nudoetcrudo

Finished my NG+++ playthrough (and the plat) today and the boss that still gave me the most trouble was Owl. Somehow managed to die on the first fight like five times and about ten or so times on the second one. Demon of Hatred on the other hand gets really easy once you figure out his patterns, and even SSI fell pretty easily after having fought him a gazilion times before.

Initially though it was the Sword Saint fight that took me the longest, probably because I got a bit triggered by having to waste time killing Genichiro every time.

That said, I feel like the bossfights in the game are very balanced as they get progressively harder, and by the time you beat the later bosses you'll be able to destroy the earlier bosses in NG+ with what the game has taught you.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IDiivil said:

Finished my NG+++ playthrough (and the plat) today and the boss that still gave me the most trouble was Owl. Somehow managed to die on the first fight like five times and about ten or so times on the second one. Demon of Hatred on the other hand gets really easy once you figure out his patterns, and even SSI fell pretty easily after having fought him a gazilion times before.

Initially though it was the Sword Saint fight that took me the longest, probably because I got a bit triggered by having to waste time killing Genichiro every time.

That said, I feel like the bossfights in the game are very balanced as they get progressively harder, and by the time you beat the later bosses you'll be able to destroy the earlier bosses in NG+ with what the game has taught you.

The worst part about the Sword saint fight is getting like 10 minutes into the fight then dieing and then tilting off the face of the earth and dieing to Genchiro because you lost all hope.  It wasn't even the hardest fight it was more about having to go through Genchiro + 1 health bar before I could even start learning what his last phases did so I was mentally exhausted but the time I got to the last phase and would just insta die.

Owl 2.0 becomes “easy” once you understand his weakness, which is keep being aggresive in opposition of being patience. Just keep near him and attack in sets of 2 slashes, he will do his 3-4 slashes then throw fireworks combo most of the time, and sometimes even 2-3 times in a row, once you become familiar with the pattern is just a matter of counting to 4 then dodge to his back as he throws them and punish him for some good damage, aside from that you have keep a good pace and keep aware of his other patterns, like when he puts his sword above charging or jumping on the sweep.

The second fase is harder because he dissappears sometimes after a combo that would otherwise make him vulnerable, I used the upgraded Flame Barrel (Okinaga?) and used it when he lands after becoming the owl, then when the owl turns red jump and inmediately Mikiri.

• 2 weeks later...

For me the hardest was NG+ Isshin Ashina with the BS second phase where he pulls those flame attacks. Emma and his phase 1 became a real pushover, however it took me 3 hours to crack him in his phase 2. A close second would be the Demon of Hatred. It felt cheap because I felt that the game didn't teach you too much on how to approach enemies like him.

The other bosses were OK. Lady Butterfly and Genichiro deserve a special mention, as they taught me how the combat mechanism works. I probably died the most fighting these two.

I'm still in my first playthrough, right at the secret passage. The game has been tough so far, but I never felt really stuck....

... until now. Fucking hell, I simply cannot beat Isshin, The Sword Saint and it's driving me nuts! I tried for an hour, got twice to the third phase. Then went for a couple of beers, which probably didn't help, and tried for another hour afterwards, got to the third phase twice more, but nope, didn't manage to finish him off. ?

It's enfuriating too... Genichiro is alright, I somehow cannot flawless him, especially because of his jump-attack, since he can follow that one up with three different attacks that need different reactions to completely avoid and I cannot react quickly enough, but that's ok. I still get to Isshin with 9 or 10 Gourd things. And honestly, the first Isshin phase is super enjoyable! That one I have down. But man does this fucker get angry once he gets his spear out... ?

I'm sure I'll get him, but already now he gets my vote for the toughest mandatory boss in any FromSoft game. I've never felt this stuck other than maybe before Vicar Amelia, but that was my first Soulsborne experience. Orphan of Kos / Midir are probably a bit tougher, but at least those are optional. ? 

I WILL GET HIM TONIGHT! ?

Edited by Arcesus7

13 minutes ago, Arcesus7 said:

I'm still in my first playthrough, right at the secret passage. The game has been tough so far, but I never felt really stuck....

... until now. Fucking hell, I simply cannot beat Isshin, The Sword Saint and it's driving me nuts! I tried for an hour, got twice to the third phase. Then went for a couple of beers, which probably didn't help, and tried for another hour afterwards, got to the third phase twice more, but nope, didn't manage to finish him off. 1f636.png

It's enfuriating too... Genichiro is alright, I somehow cannot flawless him, especially because of his jump-attack, since he can follow that one up with three different attacks that need different reactions to completely avoid and I cannot react quickly enough, but that's ok. I still get to Isshin with 9 or 10 Gourd things. And honestly, the first Isshin phase is super enjoyable! That one I have down. But man does this fucker get angry once he gets his spear out... 1f633.png

I'm sure I'll get him, but already now he gets my vote for the toughest mandatory boss in any FromSoft game. I've never felt this stuck other than maybe before Vicar Amelia, but that was my first Soulsborne experience. Orphan of Kos / Midir are probably a bit tougher, but at least those are optional. 1f605.png 

I WILL GET HIM TONIGHT! 1f606.png

Genichiro can be baited into doing his thrust attack by standing at a distance. 

This attack is very easy too mikiri counter. This should help with beating him flawlessly. 

Man I feel your pain. This was the boss I honestly thought would break me.

Keeping a distance between you and Sword Saint and getting one or 2 hits (2 hits max) in when he has finished a combo then moving away is how I eventually beat him.

This has been classified as "cheesing" but screw it, Sword Saint is a DICK!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, reiner- said:

Genichiro can be baited into doing his thrust attack by standing at a distance. 

This attack is very easy too mikiri counter. This should help with beating him flawlessly. 

Man I feel your pain. This was the boss I honestly thought would break me.

Keeping a distance between you and Sword Saint and getting one or 2 hits (2 hits max) in when he has finished a combo then moving away is how I eventually beat him.

This has been classified as "cheesing" but screw it, Sword Saint is a DICK!

Is it cheesing if you eat red lump, sugar, rice and everything nice and then just keep attacking Isshin? Posture gets destroyed very fast. On the first playthrough thou, on second and third it's little bit different.