Share your boss cheese >: D

Since I have decided I feel like From is out to make me smash my TV, I have decided to let skill go out the window and try to cheese as much boss killing as possible. For every cheese we discover we can stick it to the "Git Gud" posse and rule over the Lords of Japan.

All hail the cheese.

Here is one I figured out today, for example.  Sure, I can just practice and do it correctly, but THE HECK WITH THAT : D

Post your cheese!

Edited by phoenix_shade
  • Like 1

You can cheese O’rin of Water. Stand behind the graves she is infront of and just thrust attack (hold R1) through them.

Not really a cheese but you can also throw a shuriken at Lady Butterfly to cancel her aerial attacks, it made that fight so much easier because you can punish her standard combos.

That fight basically teaches you to use the mikiri counter, which is essential against many bosses (the final one being one of them). I would not recommend to cheese him.

Anyway, the only one I found was Shirafuji in the poisoned pond. Just lure him in the pond and he will slowly die lol. Pretty obvious and also tedious, but I went there way earlier than I was supposed to and it was too OP for me lol

There is also the one for O'Rin, dunno about others.

EDIT

I remember that I read that you can "assassinate" the True Corrupted Monk from the tree on the side of the bridge, and that you could do it for phase 1 and 2. Not sure if there is a specific requirement or you can do it at any time during the fight.

Edited by nudoetcrudo

i suck ass at dealing with Lone Shadowmen, so i cooked up some cheez for the hardest one in the game (Hirata Estates v2)

i basically found a way to get 1 free deathblow, and also keep him from getting too close to you

oh, and for the subsequent miniboss (Juzou the Drunkard) you can aggro him, become stealthy, then get a free deathblow on him too. From there, just attack whenever he drinks or coats his blade. try to puppeteer the Lone Shadowman grunt that accompanies him

The spear guy at the burning ashina castle if you jump on the tree branch he just kind of dances in front of you and you can mortal draw him to death.

The red eyed samurai in the blue robes in burning ashina can be almost killed by npcs. Drag the 2 purple ninjas on the same floor into his room and they will fight him for you just make sure to death blow him to let them keep damaging him.

1 hour ago, fjyingturk said:

You can cheese O’rin of Water. Stand behind the graves she is infront of and just thrust attack (hold R1) through them.

Not really a cheese but you can also throw a shuriken at Lady Butterfly to cancel her aerial attacks, it made that fight so much easier because you can punish her standard combos.

Tried that she kept fucking me through the grave stone,  I thought it would work because I remembered cheesing gascoine through the gravestone haha.  

Every time I get to a boss I try to Shadow dash spam them to see if it works, it works on like %70 of the bosses.  Corrupted monk I just put on divine confetti and wacked him a bunch while spamming firecrackers and he didn't really get to move at all.

When going to Hirata estates in the end game to go fight owl there is another boss where you saw owl at the start of the game,  Spear something is there name and she summons dogs,  I dragged her down the hill and her dogs didn't follow and I just spam attacked her into the bamboo until her posture broke she didn't even swing once.  Did this after dying to her like 8 times.

31 minutes ago, Trope Hore said:

i suck ass at dealing with Lone Shadowmen, so i cooked up some cheez for the hardest one in the game (Hirata Estates v2)

i basically found a way to get 1 free deathblow, and also keep him from getting too close to you

oh, and for the subsequent miniboss (Juzou the Drunkard) you can aggro him, become stealthy, then get a free deathblow on him too. From there, just attack whenever he drinks or coats his blade. try to puppeteer the Lone Shadowman grunt that accompanies him

Haha this is the boss I pulled down the hill and spam attacked her into the bamboo so she couldn't react.  I hate these guys too.

1 hour ago, nudoetcrudo said:

That fight basically teaches you to use the mikiri counter, which is essential against many bosses (the final one being one of them). I would not recommend to cheese him.

Anyway, the only one I found was Shirafuji in the poisoned pond. Just lure him in the pond and he will slowly die lol. Pretty obvious and also tedious, but I went there way earlier than I was supposed to and it was too OP for me lol

EDIT

I remember that I read that you can "assassinate" the True Corrupted Monk from the tree on the side of the bridge, and that you could do it for phase 1 and 2. Not sure if there is a specific requirement or you can do it at any time during the fight.

Yes I did that earlier today,  was kind of tricky sometimes the red dot wouldn't pop up on the first assassinate so I just let myself die if I missed it.  its easy once you get it tho.

Edited by iGGTheEnd

OP I cheesed the same mini-boss, but in a different way :D So basically the enemies have their own "areas" to which they are chained (so you cannot pull them throughout the entire map). When they reach the limits of how far they can go, they start backing down slowly. You can fish one or two more attacks from them to pull them even further and break the game that way. I pulled this mini-boss so far he became a vegetable, I could just swing away at him with no response. I think you can cheese most enemies in Sekiro if you really can't be bothered with defeating them in a fair fight. That's already a kind of From Software trademark so I'm not even mad.

Some engame cheesin' for you!

Shigekichi of the Red Guard - take care of some of the Ministry in the area (just to be able to sneak without detection). Aggro the boss, quickly get away (ideally through the door on the right (with tall grass next to them). Wait until boss looses track of you and retreats to spawn position. Go behind him, sneak Deathblow him. Then aggro him again and lure him to the same door as before. He is too big to be able to get through these and you will be able to spam R1 thrust (hold R1) to drop him second time. Be aggressive enough so he won't move away from the door. If he does, go through the door for a brief second, thrust him and quickly run inside again. 

Seven Ashina Spears – Shume Masaji Oniwa - there are two enemies in the area besides of the boss - first one is standing next to him and is a powerful foe, and the second one is to the left of them, sitting by the wall. You want to pupeteer the first one (so he will help you deal with boss' first health bar) and, if boss manages to kill your help, you want to lure the boss away from where he was originally standing and quickly run to pupeteer the guy next to the wall. It is a musket-wielding enemy and will be a big help in stunlocking the boss by shooting at it. When boss goes to kill him, get in between them and keep him occupied. It is actually also possible to keep the first pupeteered enemy alive through the whole fight, but you need to be extremely aggresive and with little luck the boss should not deal too much damage to your helper. In my case helper was totally destroying the boss to the extent that the boss was down pretty much most of the fight. Easy.

Today I also kind of cheesed Demon of Hatred by running around him in circles. Also a big help is to create a save backup just as you get to the boss area (so Ministry enemies will also spawn with the boss). Ministry enemies make first phase somewhat easier because they keep the Demon occupied for a brief moment and it lets you to cut off up to half of health bar without actually worrying about dodging his attacks. Second phase is all about dodging attacks, third phase is all about using Malcontent prosthetic tool (you should invest in that stuff as soon as it is possible - item needed to forge this tool drops from Shichimen Warrior in Guardian Ape's Burrow (after killing Guardian Ape Undying).

Regarding the True Corrupted Monk, you can assassinate her only in the second phase when she does the "shadow attack". If you go on the tree you'll see the true monk (not the shadows) and it's a free kill. Can't be done in other phases.

(Just wanted to confirm this, since I didn't try it myself before).

22 minutes ago, nudoetcrudo said:

Regarding the True Corrupted Monk, you can assassinate her only in the second phase when she does the "shadow attack". If you go on the tree you'll see the true monk (not the shadows) and it's a free kill. Can't be done in other phases.

(Just wanted to confirm this, since I didn't try it myself before).

Actually you can deal two Deathblows in this fight, leaving you to melee only the last health bar. You need to be very quick, though. Grapple from one tree to the other and try jumping at the Monk. At the second phase, try aiming at the centre of the bridge - there will be a red dot even though you cannot see he Monk there.

3 minutes ago, Makaveli0160 said:

Actually you can deal two Deathblows in this fight, leaving you to melee only the last health bar. You need to be very quick, though. Grapple from one tree to the other and try jumping at the Monk. At the second phase, try aiming at the centre of the bridge - there will be a red dot even though you cannot see he Monk there.

Really? I tried twice, being as fast as possible, but it never worked. Anyway, not going for NG+++ to try it :D

(For the second phase I was actually able to see the Monk, but only from the tree, not from the bridge).

12 minutes ago, Makaveli0160 said:

Yes the first health bar was tricky to execute,  it seemed inconsistent, sometimes the red would show up sometimes I would just jump on him and it wouldn't so I'm not too sure.

17 minutes ago, nudoetcrudo said:

Really? I tried twice, being as fast as possible, but it never worked. Anyway, not going for NG+++ to try it :D

(For the second phase I was actually able to see the Monk, but only from the tree, not from the bridge).

What worked for me was to grapple between the trees in a very fast succession. If I was slow enough, Monk was able to track my movement and I was unable to land a Deathblow on him. I was kind of tricky, but totally doable.

You can cheese madam butterfly and also cancel the ghosts from spawning if you run to her quickly before the second phase begins but my cheese video doesn't show the last part although i do have a different video showing it. You can also cheese the headless ape with just parrying but that's more skill dependent so i won't post that video. And you can definitely take two health bars off the true corrupted monk with stealth and the trick to doing that appears to be grappling to the highest tree right after grappling to the first, try to skip the second lowest grapple in front of you, he always sees me if i touch that branch but never when i go directly from the first branch to the third branch. Also if you bait the raging bull into going berserk near a wall, he can posture break himself and just give you the deathblow.

https://youtu.be/HtsY5LUMmno 

On 3/30/2019 at 0:19 AM, nudoetcrudo said:

EDIT

You can also get a deathblow in on her by standing behind her and throwing oil on her before she goes into attack mode while she's still "friendly".

12 hours ago, IntrepidHunter said:

You can also get a deathblow in on her by standing behind her and throwing oil on her before she goes into attack mode while she's still "friendly".

This is how I did it, except with a ceramic pot lol. Probably the only ones I ever used in the game.

Managed to beat Isshin, Sword Saint today.

It has been a blast. 

It's most likely the only time in the history, where the usual cheese strategy found on the web didn't work for me. Powerpyx recommends running around during phases 3 and 4 and baiting the leaping yari attack, then stabbing once and quickly getting out of the way. I could never get it right. Either I was getting obliterated soon after stabbing Isshin, or he was able to hit me while I was running around him with a rocket-speed yari attack that for some reason was not happening to Powerpyx on his recording.

I decided that I will master his moveset and beat him fair and square

So, for you to have biggest chances of actually surviving those phases would be to blast through phases 1 and 2 without using healing items and getting hit. It may sound bonkers, but it's totally doable. Actually on my winning run, I had respectively 8 out of 10 gourds in phase 3 and about 4 or 5 in phase 4. I also equipped myself with divine grass and usual pellets, so I had just enough items that when dealing final Deathblow I was out of items and with full health. 

During phases 3 and 4 there is one AOE attack where Isshin is 'loading up' his yari and then sweeps large portion of area around him. You can either move a little bit to the right and jump (the way he slashes the air with yari leaves the area on the right pretty much untouched) or use firecrackers to stagger him during this attack. There is also a sweeping combo ending with red-marked thrust, which you want to Mikiri counter. This attack is your main thing for building up Isshin's posture gauge.

The main thing - do not run away from the boss. Only do that when you are in desperate need for healing. He is brutally lethal when kept on distance. Instead of trying to drain his health bar, keep close, evade/deflect all of his attacks and gradually fill his Posture gauge. 

During phase 4 you want to wait for usual Mikiri thrust and also wait for the thunder attack, which you want to deflect at Isshin, dealing ginormous Posture build-up. 

Isshin is also prone to do Ichimonji combat art from time to time but the build-up to that is so slow that you can easily see that and evade either to his left or right (I preferred left, as most of his attacks can be evaded by strafing to the left - most notably the one where he is sheating his uchigatana and leaping forward with two sweeps that leave a mark in the air - this one is great for dealing additional Posture build-up.You want to sprint to the left while he has his blade sheated and then, soon after he leaps forward, you want to dodge towards his left side, narrowly missing the second slash of that attack, and then cut him up badly.

After changing my gameplan from running around and baiting his leaping attack to getting up close and personal with him I managed to easily whack him on my second try. This definitely was not the hardest boss battle in the game. While pretty much straightforward, Demon of Hatred boss battle was way harder than Isshin one. Mainly due to the fact, that it took so damn long to drain his three health bars while knowing that you are basically one hit away from dying. Totally excruciating. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Makaveli0160 said:

Actually on my winning run, I had respectively 8 out of 10 gourds in phase 3 and about 4 or 5 in phase 4. I also equipped myself with divine grass and usual pellets, so I had just enough items that when dealing final Deathblow I was out of items and with full health. 

No rice / snow from the Divine Child? That item is amazing and can be refilled.

You can also use the mochi prepared by Kuro if you gave him rice (he will also give you a second one, not sure what triggers that, and maybe it is also refillable (I never actually used it)).

31 minutes ago, nudoetcrudo said:

No rice / snow from the Divine Child? That item is amazing and can be refilled.

You can also use the mochi prepared by Kuro if you gave him rice (he will also give you a second one, not sure what triggers that, and maybe it is also refillable (I never actually used it)).

Nope, wasn't needed. The only thing I did with rice throughout my playthrough was eat it so Divine Child could give me more. I never actually found use for it during normal game, let alone battling.

1 hour ago, Makaveli0160 said:

I never actually found use for it during normal game, let alone.

You can eat it and it will refill your energy for quite some time (like 30 sec). The mochi should have the same effect. The snow (the rice the Child gives you after being sick) is even stronger. It is the best healing item in the game after the gourds.

Outside combat you can give it to the old lady you find in various places and she'll give you hints about the puzzles to find the snake fruits.

1 hour ago, nudoetcrudo said:

You can eat it and it will refill your energy for quite some time (like 30 sec). The mochi should have the same effect. The snow (the rice the Child gives you after being sick) is even stronger. It is the best healing item in the game after the gourds.

Outside combat you can give it to the old lady you find in various places and she'll give you hints about the puzzles to find the snake fruits.

Yep, gave it a try when suddenly ran out of items during Corrupted Monk fight on NG+. He was absolutely brutal.

Also please note - do not go for the Ape first. Go for the Monk first, as killing Ape and getting the flower changes the game world a little bit. To get to Mibu Village, you will have to plough throuh one of Snake-Eyes miniboss and then obliterate the Ape 2.0, whereas when going for Monk first you would breeze through those areas (before Ape, Snake-Eyes is surrounded by way weaker enemies).

Also good thing would be to beat Monk and Ape and NOT get the items, just activate Idols near them. Then you want to get both items and get back to Abandoned Dungeon Entrance (other Shirata Castle idols are inactive now). This way you will save yourself trouble of traversing through areas with new apparition-type enemies which are mighty strong and can be a pain if handled wrong.

6 hours ago, Makaveli0160 said:

Managed to beat Isshin, Sword Saint today.

It has been a blast. 

It's most likely the only time in the history, where the usual cheese strategy found on the web didn't work for me. Powerpyx recommends running around during phases 3 and 4 and baiting the leaping yari attack, then stabbing once and quickly getting out of the way. I could never get it right. Either I was getting obliterated soon after stabbing Isshin, or he was able to hit me while I was running around him with a rocket-speed yari attack that for some reason was not happening to Powerpyx on his recording.

I decided that I will master his moveset and beat him fair and square

So, for you to have biggest chances of actually surviving those phases would be to blast through phases 1 and 2 without using healing items and getting hit. It may sound bonkers, but it's totally doable. Actually on my winning run, I had respectively 8 out of 10 gourds in phase 3 and about 4 or 5 in phase 4. I also equipped myself with divine grass and usual pellets, so I had just enough items that when dealing final Deathblow I was out of items and with full health. 

During phases 3 and 4 there is one AOE attack where Isshin is 'loading up' his yari and then sweeps large portion of area around him. You can either move a little bit to the right and jump (the way he slashes the air with yari leaves the area on the right pretty much untouched) or use firecrackers to stagger him during this attack. There is also a sweeping combo ending with red-marked thrust, which you want to Mikiri counter. This attack is your main thing for building up Isshin's posture gauge.

The main thing - do not run away from the boss. Only do that when you are in desperate need for healing. He is brutally lethal when kept on distance. Instead of trying to drain his health bar, keep close, evade/deflect all of his attacks and gradually fill his Posture gauge. 

During phase 4 you want to wait for usual Mikiri thrust and also wait for the thunder attack, which you want to deflect at Isshin, dealing ginormous Posture build-up. 

Isshin is also prone to do Ichimonji combat art from time to time but the build-up to that is so slow that you can easily see that and evade either to his left or right (I preferred left, as most of his attacks can be evaded by strafing to the left - most notably the one where he is sheating his uchigatana and leaping forward with two sweeps that leave a mark in the air - this one is great for dealing additional Posture build-up.You want to sprint to the left while he has his blade sheated and then, soon after he leaps forward, you want to dodge towards his left side, narrowly missing the second slash of that attack, and then cut him up badly.

After changing my gameplan from running around and baiting his leaping attack to getting up close and personal with him I managed to easily whack him on my second try. This definitely was not the hardest boss battle in the game. While pretty much straightforward, Demon of Hatred boss battle was way harder than Isshin one. Mainly due to the fact, that it took so damn long to drain his three health bars while knowing that you are basically one hit away from dying. Totally excruciating. 

I'm so tired of fighting Genichiro in PH1 I just go at him and as long as I survive I don't care. PH2 I can usually do, but it does depend on RNG. I've tried the cheese method once I started getting to PH3 somewhat reliably and I keep falling off the damn cliff &/or misjudging and getting whacked with the jump attack. Your words bring me hope though. I did try fighting him legit, but he spanked me. Guess I'm just going to have to bite down and do it. This boss fight would be 100% better without the damn first phase. It's such a PITA, though. 

At least I'm better at PH 2, now, I guess. I'll get there. But I feel more frustrated than I did on this guy than I did with Owl (Father) fight in Hinata, and I spent a good 4-5 hours learning him. 

4 hours ago, IntrepidHunter said:

I'm so tired of fighting Genichiro in PH1 I just go at him and as long as I survive I don't care. PH2 I can usually do, but it does depend on RNG. I've tried the cheese method once I started getting to PH3 somewhat reliably and I keep falling off the damn cliff &/or misjudging and getting whacked with the jump attack. Your words bring me hope though. I did try fighting him legit, but he spanked me. Guess I'm just going to have to bite down and do it. This boss fight would be 100% better without the damn first phase. It's such a PITA, though. 

At least I'm better at PH 2, now, I guess. I'll get there. But I feel more frustrated than I did on this guy than I did with Owl (Father) fight in Hinata, and I spent a good 4-5 hours learning him. 

As far as Genichiro phase is concerned you want to buil his Posture gauge as quick as possible. Read is moveset - when he does perilous attack while you are next to him, then it will always be the sweep, to which you should double jump on his head, dealing in Posture. When he does perilous attack while away from you, it will always be a thrust, so you want to Mikiri counter it. Always slash at Genichiro until he manages to perfectly deflect your attack, then block/jump on him or move away. 

Do not let hm use the bow - if he does shoot at you, quickly deflect and rush at him - he always does a ginormous slash with Mortal Blade after shooting the bow. You can easily stagger him jurt before he releases his arrow, which will open him for couple of your slashes.

Phase two you want to constantly slash at Isshin and evade/deflect when he deflects your attack perfectly. Always wait for openings after attacks I mentioned in earlier posts. Sometimes he will thrust, which you can Mikiri, however it was too fast for my liking and I caught myself running to the right during that attack and blasting at him right after the thrust when vulnerable.

Take it easy, learn his moveset and you will breeze through that fight as I did.

If not into phase 3 with more than 8/10 gourds and 3/4 of health, simply quit the game. After reloading you will be standing just before the boss fight - rest at Idol outside and try again. This way you will save yourself dying. 

Do not resurrect during phases 1 and 2. If you have to, quit the game. After reloading you will end up dead outside boss arena and after resurrecting will be able to safely return to idol and rest. That way you won't loose your resurrective powers at all. 

Be aggressive, but know when to back out and you'll make it!