When did 100% of trophies obtained become more important that 100% a game?

Ghanupher

Well, I'm just bored, so I figured I'd start to write something here.

Well, that's my question. I don't know if you trophy hunters go after 100% completion rate on a game (cases that, obviously, don't require 100% a game for the 100% trophies obtained).

I've been playing Dead Nation and Terraria recently, for example. The first one has a gallery mode that can be left incomplete, with little to none picture to get other than the ones unlocked when completing a level (which, still, have no impact on your 100% trophy score); and the last one (given it is an RPG of sorts) doesn't require that you get all the items, or fight all enemies, nor craft/find an uber weapon.

Many games nowadays let you just go for a 100% trophy completion rate without even "scratching the surface" of said games.

But it's all for the trophies now, not the completion rate of the game.

I've yet to see a boosting session for obtaining a particular player "title" in a fighting game, or unlock all cars in a racing game, to say some.

This is not a rant by any means. I'm just curious about what others may think about the topic in question.

Cheers!

For me it entirely depends on the game. Some games are really bad and I hardly unlock anything. Some games are really good and I set myself many further challenges and unlock more than just the trophies. Other games are good enough for passing time and I'll get all the trophies, but I won't bother going much further. Then some games are good, but have grindy trophies that I refuse to bother with. 

Trophies are public, while your offline game progress is not, which could be a motivating factor. Many don't like letting others see incomplete games in their list. The other thing you must not forget is that users on this forum are not necessarily an accurate representation of the PSN community as a whole - this website is designed for tracking our trophies, so most people here are far more interested in trophies than the average PSN user. If a player is aiming to earn a particular title or unlock all cars, it means they're getting very into the game and it may be worth finding a forum specifically dedicated to that game, rather than this one which is more for general trophy hunting and might not get the same response. 

For me, I always hope that the trophy lists are inclusive of most/all things in a game. That way I can feel like I've done everything the game has to offer by the time I platinum it.

However, I think it's very hard for gamers these days to get a "100% Completion" on a game. Games are so much more vast and complex than they were even 10 years ago... the amount of time it would take to "100%" a game in the past is on par with what it takes to simply complete the story of newer titles. 

And the market is also becoming oversaturated. Games are being produced at a much higher rate while still (mostly) providing a quality experience. I personally have a backlog of over 150 games (I'm terrible at ignoring PSN sales)... even if I played just the story of these games, it would take me over a year to complete these games if I didn't add anything new... if I focus on trophies, double that... if I focus on getting a true 100% for each, it would take a lifetime.

I hate seeing trophy lists where you don't need to do 50% of the stuff. But I think that 75-80% is pretty good... and I also wish games would include in-game trackers for true completion so that I can be sure I've done everything for games that intrigue me enough :P

Very true, that's the case for some of the games i've played, but I feel like many JRPG's still make you go literally 100% of the way to get the platinum (e.g. FFX, XII and 13 series, Tales series esp. Vesperia, Disgaea etc). I think Life is Strange was also like that to some extent, but there was hardly anything to do in that game trophy wise. VNs and otome always seem to make you 100% everything including seeing all the bad ends to simply just opening the CG gallery and music menus.

I found FFXV just scratch the surface, I got the platinum but did the bare minimum. I did none of the extra episodes and hardly any hunt missions, just got the plat and never touched the game again. FFX-2 was similar, it made you do a decent amount of the game but totally left out Creature Create and the tournaments which could have been great trophy wise. KH3 also had a much easier trophy list than it's predecessors. 

Personally I go for 100% trophy completion and am the type who would never touch the game again after getting the platinum, but that's just me. I have many games in my backlog and am keen to move on instead of spending more time than required on a single game.

Before the era of trophies, I was a 100% completionist and did so in a number of old games like Pokemon Emerald and Platinum, FFX-2 on PS2, The World Ends with You and FF Tactics A2 on DS, and KH 365/2 days and DDD.  

• Like 2

I always go for platinum and 100%.  The games where I've failed to do so are because they are out of my hands (bullshit difficulty, luck based, glitched) or in the very rare case.... I couldn't be arsed/ hate the game to even bother (FFXIII and XIII-2).

But to answers your question ? the games I play usually force me to complete all and there are those like AC Odyssey, TW3, etc for example.... I ain't gonna do all the quests, get all weapons, etc if it isn't required, it's just to much work.

Edited by Vizard-Ichigo--

22 minutes ago, Ghanupher said:

I've been playing Dead Nation and Terraria recently, for example. The first one has a gallery mode that can be left incomplete, with little to none picture to get other than the ones unlocked when completing a level (which, still, have no impact on your 100% trophy score); and the last one (given it is an RPG of sorts) doesn't require that you get all the items, or fight all enemies, nor craft/find an uber weapon.

Many games nowadays let you just go for a 100% trophy completion rate without even "scratching the surface" of said games.

But Terraria's trophies go way past scratching the surface, assuming you don't just join a player who has already completed it.

You'll need to kill each boss many times, explore all the biomes, summon all the special events, create the most powerful tools, and progress through the entire "campaign". You'll fully experience all the unique content the game has to offer. If you wanted someone to collect the thousands of unique items, it'd just require grinding content that's already been played.

It's as close to 100% as you can reasonably get in a game like this, with barely any true progression or built-in goals to aim for.

I'd like to see trophies require 100% in games more often, but if the benchmark is every single item in Terraria I'd rather they didn't bother. There are some items that are so rare it'd probably take longer than the entire platinum to find them, but it's not really proving anything besides being capable of mindless grinding.

What bothers me is games that don't even make an attempt to have players experience everything. Even the ingame 100% checklist for GTA 5 lets you skip so much content. What sort of 100% completion list has a requirement like "Complete 25 out of 50 stunt jumps"?

Unless the game I'm currently playing is insanely good, I'll stop once I manage to get the plat... If I didn't have such a huge backlog to work through though, I'd probably spend more time on such games... but I don't have the time to spare. xD Like @Lava_Yuki mentioned, some games do make you go all the way to 100% (if not worse). & most of the games I play are JRPGs, so I welcome a little break every now & then while trophy hunting. :P 

• Like 1

Interesting topic! I must agree with you that the industry has changed; Lost Planet 2 was so brutal with the achievements, even having you go as far as getting number one on a leaderboard!
If I'm a massive fan of the franchise I'll buy it up and worry about the Trophies later. Any PsPlus free game I always check the trophy guides to see if it's doable then I check for online. I used to always 100% a game, since the introduction of Trophies/Achievements I really have lost touch and it's a shame, Mafia 3 had so much collectibles that were an interesting read but I never bothered to collect it. 

I think the people that focus only on trophies as a sign of completing a game were never the type to 100% a game in the first place. If anything I could see trophies forcing them to play more of a game than they would have (assuming the list requires them to do so). They may play RE0 and complete the Leech Hunter mode that they skipped on Gamecube but do the bare minimum on RE2 and Revelations 2 where you hardly have to earn anything to get the platinum.

I find it to be a good compromise between doing everything and just getting the ending. I used to go after 100%, but it's way too much in a large number of games these days. I can't get myself to do that most of the time unless it's an old game, so I just take 100% of the trophies (or at least non-DLC ones, because I'm very picky with paid DLC) as the new goal. If I get 100% in the game in the process, great! If not, I'm not putting up with that unless I'm only a tiny bit away anyway.

1 hour ago, Shadiochao said:

But Terraria's trophies go way past scratching the surface, assuming you don't just join a player who has already completed it.

You'll need to kill each boss many times, explore all the biomes, summon all the special events, create the most powerful tools, and progress through the entire "campaign". You'll fully experience all the unique content the game has to offer. If you wanted someone to collect the thousands of unique items, it'd just require grinding content that's already been played.

It's as close to 100% as you can reasonably get in a game like this, with barely any true progression or built-in goals to aim for.

I'd like to see trophies require 100% in games more often, but if the benchmark is every single item in Terraria I'd rather they didn't bother. There are some items that are so rare it'd probably take longer than the entire platinum to find them, but it's not really proving anything besides being capable of mindless grinding.

What bothers me is games that don't even make an attempt to have players experience everything. Even the ingame 100% checklist for GTA 5 lets you skip so much content. What sort of 100% completion list has a requirement like "Complete 25 out of 50 stunt jumps"?

Yeah, my bad. Come to think of it, Terraria does require you to experience almost all the game has to offer. Going for all the items would be going too far then, I guess. But, nevertheless, it does not require that you trigger all the events (pirate invasion is not needed, if I'm not mistaken), you don't need to traverse/visit all biomes (desert and sea are not needed at all). But I get where you're going.

100% is for the trophy list not every activity possible in any given game. I don't know what games don't you "scratch their surface" upon getting 100% of the available trophies but some like Dax, Ocean Horn, and Reverie can pop their plats before the beating the game fully. It it's neither a good or bad thing or marked decline in gaming.

Good luck with not "scratch the surface" of Terraria's content when chasing the 100%.

Edited by TJ_Solo

24 minutes ago, Ghanupher said:

Yeah, my bad. Come to think of it, Terraria does require you to experience almost all the game has to offer. Going for all the items would be going too far then, I guess. But, nevertheless, it does not require that you trigger all the events (pirate invasion is not needed, if I'm not mistaken), you don't need to traverse/visit all biomes (desert and sea are not needed at all). But I get where you're going.

You need to complete the pirate invasion to get the Pirate NPC, and although there isn't really much to do in the ocean, the Angler NPC and Duke Fishron are found there.

I think you're right about the desert though

Answering the thread's title: Never

Case in point, there are so many games I still play after getting Platinum because they're not even close to experience 100% of the game. Just grabbing my recently platinum games to show some examples:

Dragon Ball Z Budokai HD: I already have the platinum but I'll be damned if I stopped there and didn't get all characters to level 100 and also have gotten all available capsules. Will it take a long a** time? Yes, it will, but I don't mind doing it.

Batman Arkham City: Some people would be fine with only completing the necessary medals for all 4 characters, but I won't stop there, I must get every single challenge medal available, even if they don't count for trophies.

Fallout New Vegas: Spent around 300 hours on this, mostly looting everything that was possible, getting all GRA challenges done, getting every skill book (Who played knows how long it can take), got one of every unique weapon (+perfect condition) along other good amount of stuff nobody ever touches in this game after getting 100% trophies on it.

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen: A favorite one. Went way above what the game ask you to do and simply got all weapon, all armors, all skills, everything gold rarified, every single item at least x5 in inventory, mastered my pawn with all knowledge stars and much more stuff. I think I'm currently sitting at 600 hours for my file in this game.

Resident Evil 6: How about getting S rank in every single stage for every single character in every difficulty available? Or getting at least one of each unique medal for all game modes, including the DLC ones? Well, that's me alright XD.

Anyway, as some may have guessed, yes, the OCD is strong with me when playing games. There was a time in the past where I got burned out of doing this, but then I learned to live with my condition and now I take pleasure doing it.

P.S: If you're like and want to get 100% in any game that I own and has online components that most trophy hunters don't bother to do, send me a message and we will see about getting that done.

The first time this was the case for me was in Teslagrad: you can get the :platinum: before finishing the story mode... the next title was Steins;Gate as i skipped every text to get all trophies so i didn't really know the game and played it a 2nd time on my Vita to understand the plot... besides that i didn't finish the story of Albedo either although i got the :platinum: twice (EU and NA) :D

I think Trine 2 PS3 might be the next game where i stop after getting all trophies... but i do know the end of that game as i have the :platinum: of Trine 2 PS4 already :D

Edited by Evil_Joker88

Depends on how much I like the game and what the game offers beyond 100% of the trophies. If there's something that adds to a story that I'm interested in I'll push on, but if it's for a concept photo of some area that never made it into the game? Nah, probably not.

Back before trophies, I'd generally 100% a game (all secrets / collectables / unlocks etc). Never went to the extreme of max levels on all characters or anything like that. 

Nowadays, there are more games than time available, so 100% trophy list is usually a good benchmark.

4 hours ago, Ghanupher said:

Well, that's my question. I don't know if you trophy hunters go after 100% completion rate on a game (cases that, obviously, don't require 100% a game for the 100% trophies obtained).

I've yet to see a boosting session for obtaining a particular player "title" in a fighting game, or unlock all cars in a racing game, to say some.

This is not a rant by any means. I'm just curious about what others may think about the topic in question.

Cheers!

I have to admit, that I reached a point, where 100% trophies is my personal endline for a game. I still dont know if I am glad about that or disappointed. Sure many 100% trophies cover most of the game, but still, it shows me that I care more about trophies than I might want to admit at first. I dont know.

Back in the day I probably had 5 or 6 different GTA:SA saves on my PS2, all were failed attempts at true 100%. But I always tried. When I played it on my 360 years later, I didnt even bother with 100%... (Gamerscore was the same back then what trophies are now for me)

I think overall I played more of my games due to trophy hunting. If thats a good or bad thing, really depends on the game I guess.

1 hour ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

Batman Arkham City: Some people would be fine with only completing the necessary medals for all 4 characters, but I won't stop there, I must get every single challenge medal available, even if they don't count for trophies.

Kudos to you. I finished Jokers Carnival with Batman, then I figured that it wasnt needed for any trophies. Though I dont regret it, it was good practice. :D

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 2:33 PM, Ghanupher said:

Cheers!

I've certainly seen boosting for fun. For example, there were quite a few boosting threads years back for playing Guitar Hero games, solely to play Guitar Hero games. 

That being said, many games' 100% requirements are pretty drab and boring. It's nice to have a digital record of it (e.g. a trophy). I remember a funny article in The Onion years back where a writer insisted that he was the greatest gamer ever. His proof? Well, you had to look at his save files that he had kept for years. And let's face it - many of us were the same (how many people still have memory cards with save data from the PS1 or PS2 era that you can't bear to get rid of?).

Trophies allowed me to dispense with all of that, so I'll do the dirty work often when a trophy is at stake. But simply having a record of beating 100,000 enemies on a save file isn't enough impetus for me to do it any more, if all I get for it is an in-game check-mark for doing so.

It all depends on how fun the game is to play. If it's some game that's actually worth a damn, like God of War or Spider-Man, the trophies become almost secondary. When it's a fetid piece of trash, I take any and all shortcuts available.