How bad is the Recurrent Monetization?

I have read a number of positive impressions on this game and have some questions about it.  It looks like a really nice looking game and I find myself mildly interested in it.  I do have some questions, though.  How bad are the microtransactions in this game?  I'm not really interested in platting it, but more just playing it for fun.  The thing is I am concerned about how aggressive Ubi Soft is with their monetization schemes as I don't want to reward the publisher for unethical practices.

Agreed. It's a non-issue. The only monetization I've seen is that you can buy premium credits to purchase cosmetic costumes or caches that give you either a random piece of cosmetic gear, or an emote. It's all hidden behind an 'Apparel' tab of your  character screen so it's not very noticeable at all. Random cosmetic pieces can drop in the game world during normal play, and you can also earn key fragments throughout game play with let you craft a key that can open a cosmetic cache, so there are ways to get these items without spending additional money.

• Like 1

I'm currently at what you could consider the end game state of the game until World Tier 5 lands tomorrow and never paid a cent, the game also throws some microtransaction currency at you too as you level up, it's not much though. I have had a steady amount of cosmetic items drop along with the keys i've gained through natural progression. Most of the cosmetic stuff can be earned in game via loot and anything else can be gained from crafting loot box keys you'll construct as you do stuff in game. Cosmetic items on offer on the store are as follows and have gear rarity applied to them - for example you can get High Tier (a.k.a Legendary) variations of all the below:

• Weapon skins
  • Gear skins
  • Emotes
  • full costume outfits
  • items of clothing for different body parts

I'm about 50 hours or so in, playing a mix of Dark Zone and PvE - keeping in mind that I have been looting everything i can - bags, containers, boxes etc and crafting quite a few Apparel Cache keys - and this is what I have earned so far naturally in game:

• 5x Sunglasses (2 of which have blue rarity)
  • 8x hats (2 of which are purple and blue respectively)
  • 9x Breather masks (2 purple)
  • 15x tops (e.g shirts, t-shirts) (1x legendary, 3 blue, 1 purple)
  • 19x legs (e.g jeans, shorts) (4 purple, 2 blue)
  • 14x shoes (4 blue, 2 purple)
  • Emotes (1 legendary, 1 purple, 3 blue) - note: i'm not sure how many were the default amount of emotes you start the game with, but the rest were greens)
  • 13x weapon skins (3 blue)
  • 5x Armor skins

Here are a few observations i noticed about cosmetics in-game:

• It's possible to get clothing sets in game - piece by piece, I have two pieces of the coast guard outfit through looting stuff in -game
  • You can buy full outfits on the store, but you can also earn parts of those outfits over time through what i mentioned above.
  • It's possible to get legendary items from the blue apparel caches - the chances are just a bit higher in the purple apparel caches. I never used a purple cache with my crafted keys.
  • Based on what i earned over that playtime - i feel like armor skins seem to be the rarest cosmetic pieces in-game they also don't seem to be that noticeable on your character when they are applied.
  • Most of my cosmetic items came out of random bits of luggage and containers strewn about the open game world - it helped to pump up a control point with materials as that gives you a buff to highlight open world containers for you - there are so many more than you think laying around without that.
  • You get a full cosmetic outfit for each specialization for free once you unlock it.
  • There seem to be cosmetic outfits exclusive to actual in-game progress that aren't available on store - for example 'Retro Field Uniform' is earned after completing a seemingly hidden side mission on the map'
  • Currently there is one cosmetic item that you can only earn through exploration in-game called 'Backpack Trophies' which are little trinkets found in specific places that you can hang from your backpack. E.g in a lab at one point if you interact with a medical skeleton model, you get that little skeleton to hang off your bag.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop