Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important To You?

Wavergray

Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?  

710 members have voted

1. 1. Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?

12 minutes ago, Baker said:

I also haven’t played My Name is Mayo. Judging by it’s trophy rarity it must be a very easy game. Which would be my opinion. 

But according to your logic I can’t form an opinion on this game because I haven’t played it. Maybe you can help me here since you did play it. Is it really that easy?

Your premise is flawed because, as has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, rarity is not an indication of difficulty 

You know what is an indication of difficulty? THE PLATINUM DIFFICULTY RATING. My name is mayo is easy because it has a plat difficulty of 1. 

Now, while platinum difficulty is also subjective, and can vary from person to person (as anyone can see if they look on .org’s aggregated rating for any particular title), no one is going to look at a game like demons souls which is rated 7/10 and say “that game is easy”

However.. if YOU played through it, blitzed through it, were in the top fastest achievers, and came here and said u think it’s a 2/10.. that would be perfectly acceptable

But u didn’t.. and u haven’t… so in this very specific circumstance, you’re talking out your ass 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

Your premise is flawed because, as has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, rarity is not an indication of difficulty 

You know what is an indication of difficulty? THE PLATINUM DIFFICULTY RATING. My name is mayo is easy because it has a plat difficulty of 1. 

Now, while platinum difficulty is also subjective, and can vary from person to person (as anyone can see if they look on .org’s aggregated rating for any particular title), no one is going to look at a game like demons souls which is rated 7/10 and say “that game is easy”

Which is your opinion. And I respect it. It differs from mine though.

I never talked with you on these forums before but I’ve been saying for years that the platinum difficulty rating in trophy guides is way off. Almost always on the high side. And I’ve discussed these things with many other gamers that agreed with me. That still doesn’t make it fact. Just my/our opinion(s). If you want to know how I judge difficulty here it is:

6/10 Challenging

7/10 Very Challenging

8/10 Hard

9/10 Very Hard

10/10 Near Impossible

So let’s say I play through Demon Souls and have the same experience the majority has and would rate it a 7/10. That would be very challenging for me. That’s nowhere near a very hard game for me. But once again, my opinion. It seems you don’t understand that.

And no need for the smart talk.. Pathetic.

Edited by Baker
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

This thread developed as expected, so I'll just want to add that difficulty isn't necessarily correlated to trophy rarity. Difficulty is very subjective. Genre experience plays a great role here. XCOM 2 is perceived as difficult, but for someone who plays a lot of tactical turn based combat games, it's not that that difficult - and vice versa. An UR Plat can be difficult for one player, and easy for the next guy. Unlike a rarity percentile, it's not the same by an objective measure.

Having said that, playing games only when they are UR/difficult etc. is in my opinion just the other side of the coin to stacking easy games: playing it for the trophies instead of the game. So: No. I don't care about trophy rarity.

Can confirm, XCOM 2 in my eyes is in the ballpark of a 4/10, instead of a 9. I'm primarily a strategy guy so the genre is more in line with my wheelhouse. 

I look back on Far Cry 5 and would rate that more as a 6, instead of a 3 because this old body doesn't have the reflexes it used to.

At the end of the day the guides are supposed to cater to the average gamer, we're all above average at some genres and below in others. The idea that x is hard or y is easy overall, is far too subjective and honestly a pointless conversation. Seems like more of a 1 on 1 conversation comparing gaming experiences.

I am at a loss that some still don’t see a correlation between difficulty and rarity.

It is not a 1:1 correlation (virtually nothing is) but the two are highly correlated.  As are estimated time to complete and rarity.

And if you combine the two, difficulty and estimated time to complete, you can very accurately predict the rarity percentage range in MOST cases.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

I would agree that difficulty and rarity are not the same thing, because they aren't, they are different metrics of which something is measured.  You can compare them, yet they are their own stats in themselves.

I do find it odd the thought process of what I have seen onsite,

The majority here says that UR are not that important

Yet at the same time we all generally agree that trofe-whoring or getting a bunch of easy plats, is pretty lame or weak, which is why the idea for the Ribbon system was being discussed for example

In this instance we kind of are saying that some UR are important to our profile as it helps us determine if someone is a serious gamer, or just a Plat by Purchase player riding the EZPZ.

I just looked at someone's profile an hour ago, they have 160 more Star Levels than me, they have 0 UR, and 91% of their trophies are Common.  The majority if not all of what they play is actually EZPZ, so it might not be important to have a lot of UR, yet probably important to have some to show you actually do play games and don't just buy them and push buttons randomly until you get the plat.

Perhaps it's more how we view not only ourselves yet other people's trophy lists and determine or make our own judgement about them or analysis/review, judgement sounds harsh as a player, and that gives us insight as to what type of player they are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Having said that, playing games only when they are UR/difficult etc. is in my opinion just the other side of the coin to stacking easy games: playing it for the trophies instead of the game. So: No. I don't care about trophy rarity.

Playing a game only when they are UR is indeed playing for the trophies instead of the game. Playing a game only when it's difficult... has nothing to do with the trophies. Talking from my own perspective.. There are people that play games to relax, experience a deep story etc... and there are players that enjoy being challenged while playing a videogame.

It just so happens (and I have to agree with @Baker here), almost all truly challenging games, those that you would rate a 9/10 or 10/10, happen to be UR even when restricted to the pool of players that make up PSNP. But one can choose to play challenging games without caring about the rarity. 

Also just pointing out once more that this discussion about rarity only makes sense when talking about base-game rarities, not DLC rarities since those are artificial. If you want to go further... the rarities of online trophies in base-game lists are also probably too rare, since it doesn't differentiate between owners of the base game subscribed to PS+ and those that don't have access to online (RDR2 and almost any sports game have, consequently, artificially low trophy rarities on this site) ?

Moreover... older games have gotten their rarity on this site at a time where the site cared to regularly update the profiles of all members registered to this site. This doesn't happen anymore, meaning that newer games don't get the same treatment. 

What's my point? Well, I guess that this site is nowadays a total mess ?

• Like 3

When you haven’t  play a game don’t give an opinion if it’s a hard or an easy game cause you haven’t  actually played it so you have no idea! Nothing personal to anyone, I haven’t played SMB you know what it’s an easy game and that’s it….who is gonna tell me it’s a hard one??? Only the people that have played it, period! it’s like I say I don’t like burgers but u know what I never tried one but I am sure I don’t like it! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Sekiro is the hardest in the set

I agree with you that Sekiro was the hardest From Software game to date. For me it earned this top spot for 2 reasons:

1) It’s just quite simply, fucking hard. And unlike the previous games there is no possibility of being carried through some of the harder fights or sections by a more experienced player. You either git gud or go home.

2) After playing & platinuming Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls 1-3, and Bloodborne (which all fundamentally share the same combat system), I instinctively approached Sekiro like I would a Soulsborne game. The problem is that it’s nothing like a Souls game so I got my ass whooped and struggled massively in the beginning. It certainly doesn’t help that you start the game woefully underpowered and any remotely tough enemy can turn you into chop suey in just a couple hits.

2 hours ago, HondaHoe said:

While everyone is certainly entitled to an opinion, how do u formulate an opinion when u have no personal experience? Especially when the soulsborne games are generally regarded as difficult games? 

He’d have more credibility imo if he’d played one/some of them and breezed through himself 

Yeah this kinda rubbed me the wrong way too. No disrespect to Baker, but it makes you look a bit foolish when you dismiss a whole group of games known specifically for their tough nature, despite having no experience with any of those games yourself and admitting to quitting one after just a few minutes.

Everybody knows that Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro etc. aren’t on the same level as the upper tier of difficult games out there. But there’s also a reason why those games are basically synonymous with difficulty amongst the gaming community.

2 hours ago, Baranov_925 said:

222 plats later...1f605.png

222 plats… not 222 ultra rare plats. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

It just so happens (and I have to agree with @Baker here), almost all truly challenging games, those that you would rate a 9/10 or 10/10, happen to be UR even when restricted to the pool of players that make up PSNP. 

Well at least one person understands what I’ve been trying to say for a dozen posts by now.

I feel like I need to follow some classes in English writing skills. ?

17 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Everybody knows that Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro etc. aren’t on the same level as the upper tier of difficult games out there. But there’s also a reason why those games are basically synonymous with difficulty amongst the gaming community.

This is actually exactly what I’ve been trying to say. I never said Soulslike games are easy. Only that you can’t compare them to the, how you call it, upper tier difficult games. I don’t need to play these games to know that.

Edited by Baker

2 hours ago, Baker said:

I also haven’t played My Name is Mayo. Judging by it’s trophy rarity it must be a very easy game. Which would be my opinion. 

But according to your logic I can’t form an opinion on this game because I haven’t played it. Maybe you can help me here since you did play it. Is it really that easy?

I’m not gonna get into a whole thing here - but I do think it’s worth noting that - while there is some truth to the analogy you are making (it would be ridiculous to argue a 90%+ game is difficult, I agree) - there is a very distinct difference between the two situations -

the tertiary reinforcement that comes with being an active member of this site.

In the case of My Name is Mayo, yes, you can infer from the rarity that the game is easy - but you also have the combined weight of 1000 threads and posts reinforcing that conclusion and confirming it.

You may be using rarity, rather than personal experience to gauge difficulty, but you have significant anecdotal factors backing that up too.

However, in the case of, say, Sekiro, you might infer that it is easy(ish) from the 27% rarity - but you also have the combined weight of loads of people who have played it telling you otherwise.

In that case, sticking to the original conclusion you came to based only on rarity is less reasonable, as you would be doing it in spite of overwhelming anecdotal evidence from people who have the experience you don’t, rather than in agreement with it, you know? :dunno:

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Baker said:

This is actually exactly what I’ve been trying to say. I never said Soulslike games are easy. Only that you can’t compare them to the, how you call it, upper tier difficult games. I don’t need to play these games to know that.

Ahh well, should have just worded it like that to begin with. In that case I fully agree with you. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

Moreover... older games have gotten their rarity on this site at a time where the site cared to regularly update the profiles of all members registered to this site. This doesn't happen anymore, meaning that newer games don't get the same treatment. 

This was during the old website format before Sly Ripper changed it back in late 2016. 

It’s absolutely pointless to compare yourself when the vast majority of members aren’t updated anymore. We got more skewed results from an idiot site owner who clearly gives no fucks about PSNP anymore. 

I wish @HusKy all the best in his project. He has done more for PSNP than @Sly Ripper has done in years. 

He needs to pass the reins to someone else. That much is obvious.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 11:13 AM, Baker said:

Those are not difficult games ?. That whole Dark Souls difficulty meme is ridiculous.

On 8/3/2021 at 11:29 AM, Baker said:

What I’m saying is the games you claim to be difficult, are not difficult.

22 hours ago, Baker said:

Well let me say I never played any Soulslike game myself

But nobody can convince me these games are hard.

21 hours ago, Baker said:

Thank you for confirming for me that Dark Souls is easy.

I know u said English isn't your first language, but......

15 minutes ago, Baker said:

This is actually exactly what I’ve been trying to say. I never said Soulslike games are easy. 

....your last post contradicts everything u have been saying in this thread all along

3 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

I know u said English isn't your first language, but......

....your last post contradicts everything u have been saying in this thread all along

Well by hard/difficult I meant if you compare it to games like Crypt, Trials Fusion, Ikaruga, etc.. You know, the truly difficult games. I understand if that didn’t came across well.

And alright, I called it easy once, maybe I shouldn’t have. You got me.

52 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

I agree with you that Sekiro was the hardest From Software game to date.

Dude... Sekiro is one of the their most accessible games by a mile. 

FromSoftware constantly puts out Souls-like games because of how accessible and popular they are. I can think of at least three FromSoftware games that are much harder than Sekiro: 

1. Armored Core: Last Raven (Portable or console, both are insanely hard but the former is much harder). 
  2. Yoshitsune Eiyuden 
  3. Shadow Tower Abyss

Sekiro is so disgustingly easy compared to these games. 

EDIT: Dude, I can just stick with Armored Core titles. Those games are not a joke in terms of difficulty. You don't get healing items, you have a finite amount of ammo. Like... Sekiro actually is so easy compared to those games, lol. 

Edited by CelestialRequiem
Elucidating

3 minutes ago, Baker said:

Well by hard/difficult I meant if you compare it to games like Crypt, Trials Fusion, Ikaruga, etc.. You know, the truly difficult games. I understand if that didn’t came across well.

And alright, I called it easy once, maybe I shouldn’t have. You got me.

He has the Max Payne 3 platinum, so to an extent he knows what a difficult game is. 

Those three games you listed are all much harder than Max Payne 3. Anyone who has any of those finished earns my respect. 

3 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Dude... Sekiro is one of the most accessible games by a mile. 

FromSoftware constantly puts out Souls-like games because of how accessible and popular they are. I can think of at least three FromSoftware games that are much harder than Sekiro: 

1. Armored Core: Last Raven (Portable or console, both are insanely hard but the former is much harder). 
  2. Yoshitsune Eiyuden 
  3. Shadow Tower Abyss

Sekiro is so disgustingly easy compared to these games. 

Sekiro has a lot of old Dark Soul veterans, because as it turns out From Software has a huge following. People still livestream Dark Souls 1 because of how good it is.

For a complete newcomer, Sekiro is difficult. Earlier in the thread I mentioned Lords of the Fallen, but from what I heard it has many broken mechanics. Most people who played it will never bother finishing it, which is reflected in the trophy rarities. 

Sekiro in contrast has a lot of people sticking thru with it. You can make the same observation with Nioh and Nioh 2. For Dark Soul veterans, probably not that hard. For those who aren’t, they may struggle with those games a lot more.

3 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Sekiro has a lot of old Dark Soul veterans, because as it turns out From Software has a huge following. People still livestream Dark Souls 1 because of how good it is.

For a complete newcomer, Sekiro is difficult. Earlier in the thread I mentioned Lords of the Fallen, but from what I heard it has many broken mechanics. Most people who played it will never bother finishing it, which is reflected in the trophy rarities. 

Sekiro in contrast has a lot of people sticking thru with it. You can make the same observation with Nioh and Nioh 2. For Dark Soul veterans, probably not that hard. For those who aren’t, they may struggle with those games a lot more.

I don't disagree dude... 

I'm only talking about it being their most difficult game. Even Armored Core veterans struggled with Last Raven. That game showed no mercy to anyone. 

EDIT: I'm not trying to be a dick here, dude, but I don't think you'll find many people who have played more From Software titles than I have. I play their PS2 stuff to this day. 

Edited by CelestialRequiem

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

Playing a game only when they are UR is indeed playing for the trophies instead of the game. Playing a game only when it's difficult... has nothing to do with the trophies. Talking from my own perspective.. There are people that play games to relax, experience a deep story etc... and there are players that enjoy being challenged while playing a videogame.

All right, I concede that the latter doesn't have to have to do with trophies. But to clarify, I was aiming at the mindset that someone who will ever only play a game because it is difficult for the sake of it, and dismisses games only for no other reason that they are not difficult. Those kind of people fall - for me - in the same category like people who only play UR games because they are UR (and don't touch non-UR games). Hope that brings across what I meant.

• Like 1