Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important To You?

Wavergray

Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?  

710 members have voted

1. 1. Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?

2 hours ago, djb5f said:

There are many smokers who never develop lung cancer (and in some cases, non-smokers can develop lung cancer).  

I guess there is no correlation between smoking and lung cancer after all!  Better inform the medical community and public!  1f602.png

Andy Kaufman was one of those non-smokers who got lung cancer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grimydawg___ said:

There's a reason why the Street Fighter games have stayed ultra rare, for example. They'd be even more rare of folks didn't boost online.

Don't tell anyone, but I boosted the multiplayer trophies for Tekken 7.

• Like 2

Because of the undermining of the trophy system, with all the endless stacks of EZPZ 10 minute plat games. The Ultra Rare trophies/plats means more to me now than ever. URs keep trophy hunting fun/challenging, now that the normal leaderboard is broken.

Edited by CabDK
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

True. 

Except, of course, in the case of DLC on this site.

In that case it is:

take number of ppl who have earned a trophy compared to the number of ppl who played a game

then take that value and write it on a post-it

then crumple that post-it up and feed it to a cow

then wait for that cow to evacuate it

then allow the rains to break that waste down

then let that waste seep into the oceans

then let a thousand fish feed on the molecules

then count the number of scales on those fish (and divide by 5.687)

then write that number down on a new post-it

then rip that post-it in two halves

then put those two halves into two matching amulets

then give the two amulets to two children, separated at birth

then wait and see what year they find one another

then count the tears that fall from their eyes when they do and divide by the year (converted to hexidecimal)

then multiply that number by the square root of Pi...

and voila!

You have your rarity percentage!

I must say I'm quite surprised to see a Scotsman using the Devries-Chan method for calculating the rarity of DLC trophies. I thought it was only used in Tuvalu and in the Vatican nowadays (and only due to the Oslo treaty of 1163).

Since Wilhelm von Trud's fascinating demonstration (Delisle et al. 1963, pp. 1563-3012)1, most people agree on dividing fish scales by 5.686, which prevents the double Vasquez Permutation (or TRM) when playing roguelites on Mondays. And, quite obviously, Sly chose to go with the consensus.

But of course you knew that.

Nonetheless, I too divide by 5.687 but, as I am an incorrigible traditionalist, I favour the Ada Byron's method, and feed the crumpled Post-It to a pug.

DELISLE, M., W.M. KWOK, H. SCHULMANN, T. SPENCER & W.O. VON TRUD, 1963. Protosygmoid Dinostermations and Singular Monoparthynasis for Applied Rarities in Trophy Hunting. Pyongyang: Nothing but the Truth Press.

• Like 4

The trophies that matter to me are the ones I know I worked for....., so its not the rarity for me but the sense I pushed myself and achieved something. So, for example, there are several in FF VII Remake, the squats, beating the Top Secrets (damn that Bahamut, DAMMM HIM)....God of War, beating the Valkyries, etc etc, ones where I feel like my gampelay was rewarded and my gameplay was good enough to merit the trophy be it a plat or otherwise 

I would say no. Except 1 game and thats thps 1+2. At release i planned to go all in and place high as possible because the 2 games were the best in my childhood for me. Landed on #7 and was a little bit Frustrated with the pre owners and Script users. So i started a new account and set the goal to get and hold fastest achiever as long as possible. 7 months i think it holds and it wasnt even a good time. Now i want to break the sub 24h to hold it way longer. But real life... Need to find a full day free of everything to do it ? hope it will be soon, want my #1 back. But i dont think that this game will be an ultra rare for too long. It is strange for me that it even is an UR. They nerfed the "hard" Part so i dont know whats Holding off all this people to grab a free plat. 

Beside that one game i dont care that much of Rarity of the plat themself. I play what i want and get from friends and besides that i clear my own backlog. My goal was to clear my whole backlog, no matter how hard a game may be. Let see how it goes in the Future. Only thing is that i look that i get a good mix of ur and vr trohies. Currently the stats are in a bad way, need to fix it^^

17 hours ago, BrandedBerserk said:

Crypt being a 10/10 doesn't take anything away from the difficulty of vanquish. There's numerous 10/10 games that aren't on the same level as Crypt, ain't nobody gonna say those games aren't difficult because of it. 

If you're going to have a scale, then it needs to make sense. If games are getting 10/10s and they aren't comparable in difficulty, then there is no point for a scale. 

So no, Vanquish and Crypt of the Necrodancer are both not 10/10s. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

If you're going to have a scale, then it needs to make sense. If games are getting 10/10s and they aren't comparable in difficulty, then there is no point for a scale. 

Still you need to make a cut at some point and everything above that would be ranked as 10/10 (I know that is something very subjective), because if you rank Crypt as the 10/10 for the scale then Vanquish is a 5/10 and Spiderman a 1/10 along with our weekly stackable bundles of joy...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

14 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Still you need to make a cut at some point and everything above that would be ranked as 10/10 (I know that is something very subjective), because if you rank Crypt as the 10/10 for the scale then Vanquish is a 5/10 and Spiderman a 1/10 along with our weekly stackable bundles of joy...

In a 1-10 scale, the norm is using whole numbers in polls and dificulty ratings, that means every game that rates 9.5 and above would be considered a 10, right?

Edited by CabDK

3 minutes ago, CabDK said:

In a 1-10 scale, the norm is using whole numbers in polls and dificulty ratings, that means every game that rates 9.5 and above would be considered a 10, right?

Yes, but if you make an scale with Crypt as a 10/10 and make all the other difficulties proportional to that, then there will be a very little amount of games above 9.5 on difficulty...

• Like 1

Just now, DeepEyes7 said:

Yes, but if you make an scale with Crypt as a 10/10 and make all the other difficulties proportional to that, then there will be a very little amount of games above 9.5 on difficulty...

Yep I agree with you 100%, Crypt is of scale. What I meant, is that more games can be considered 10/10, because of how the scale works.

22 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Yeah, so like Crypt is like a 10, Vanquish is like a 6-7, the bullshit plats that sodomize the PSN stores are a 1, and Spider-Man is probably like a 2-3. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Agreed. It's ludicrious to base an entire scale on one single game, nothing deserves that kind of weight. This isn't the only place I've encountered this form of weird rating elitism. Heck, I'd just go for a 5 star system instead.

• Like 1

On 5.8.2021 at 0:55 AM, totakos1 said:

just to mention nioh and nioh 2 100% accomplishment is way way harder than souls games you can’t even compare it that’s how more difficult it is!

Off topic, but I still wanna share my opinion on your statement: 

Nioh 2 is a game about builds, not skill. As long as you play it like a Soulsborne it is similarly difficult, maybe harder. Once you find a good build on YT using amrita life absorption the game becomes very, very easy. You can literally just stand there and tank most attacks of all bosses without caring about dodging or reading attack patterns at all.

I don't wanna say Nioh 2 is easy, because it isn't. But I strongly disagree that it's "way, way harder" than Soulsborne. I haven't played Nioh 1 and can't say anything about that, but I believe it's not that different from Nioh 2 gameplay and difficulty wise.

29 minutes ago, mecharobot said:

Agreed. It's ludicrious to base an entire scale on one single game, nothing deserves that kind of weight. This isn't the only place I've encountered this form of weird rating elitism. Heck, I'd just go for a 5 star system instead.

Dude, there's nothing "elitist" about this; it's about putting things into perspective. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CelestialRequiem said:

I agree with you that vanquish isn't a 10, I'd personally rate it an 8 but what I'm saying is the challenge presented in vanquish is still a challenge no matter how much harder games are out there. For example games such as Tetris effect, splasher, Cloud berry Kingdom and assetto corsa aren't any less of a 10 just because they aren't as long or hard as crypt which is also a 10. 

4 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Dude, there's nothing "elitist" about this; it's about putting things into perspective. 

You’ve convinced me.

So…

Attacking Zegeta 2 - 10/10

Attacking Zegata - 9/10

Crypt of the Necrodancer - 3/10

Everything else - 1/10

wait…

… this scale has become less useful somehow…

:hmm::hmm:

?