Wavergray

Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important To You?

Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?   233 members have voted

1. 1. Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

117 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Property_Damage said:

I was just being sarcastic as i do with 95% of my posts

theres no definitive number of ultra rare platinums one can have to be considered a serious trophy hunter in my eyes

but seriously

you gotta have atleast a few 8 outta 10, 9 outta 10 difficulty games platted

If youre a hunter, you dont just go after easy prey

sure you can take advantage of the weak (telltale games, ratalaika games, sometimes you, etc.)

But you should also be challenging yourself

taking on something bigger than you, something stronger, something harder

thats where the real hunt is

Stop sharing with us your yaoi fan-fictions, you're getting way off topic

I suppose I care about it in some way. I don't actively go for rarer trophies but it does generally feel more satisfying to pop a platinum the rarer it is.

Hell no. Ultra rares are usually for stuff that will make me hate the game and ruin my experiences. 

I play whatever interests me and if a game I absolutely love happens to have ultra rares I might end up with them. But I'll never go out of my way for them, just not worth it. 

They are not very important to me, but it is really satisfying to get UR Platinum trophies every now and then. It mostly depends on the game, if I decide to go for UR trophies/plats

Yes, they are to me. Although I have to admit that they are not always an indicator for difficulty. There are games with Rare or Uncommon plats that gave me more trouble that some of the Ultra Rares I have. 

A very recent example.. I found Thumper  to be fairly easy (but incredibly fun!), and the plat is UR. On the other hand, Sekiro is approaching the Rare mark, and even though I'm still only a few hours in, it has given me far more trouble than I care to admit.  

But, there are of course plenty of UR trophies that are UR for a reason. And those are the ones that are satisfying to achieve. 

3 hours ago, HOGIE838IRE said:

Is this not why we are part of PSNP? I don't go for UR plats consciously but I do like to try my best to plat every game I start. If I give up on a game and move to something else I will never go back to that game again. For that reason, I make sure I've tried my best before moving on. The UR's are a great achievement and always nice to see you have something most people couldn't get...

That's basically OCD talking.

I've played plenty of games for a few hours, left them because I was busy in real life or just wasn't interested in playing the entire game through, and came back to finish them a few months later.

I mean sure, I think speedruns can be pretty impressive, but I'm not necessarily holding myself out because I have a bunch of E ranks on my profile which if they were A rank or S rank, I would be sitting at around a 96 - 97 percent average completion rate. I can definitely get to that percentage, but right now I'm just going through the motions of playing games I've been wanting to play for years, while other games get put back for a month or two.

Edited by Spaz

30 minutes ago, Spaz said:

That's basically OCD talking.

Call it OCD, I call it determination. Not everybody can finish all games they start, for a variety of reasons. I play my games the same way, already did before trophies were a thing. 

30 minutes ago, Spaz said:

[...] if they were A rank or S rank, I would be sitting at around a 96 - 97 percent average completion rate. I can definitely get to that percentage [...]

I don't doubt that. You also mentioned before that you could get up to 150-200 UR trophies easily, and again, I don't doubt that 🙂 Fact is, you don't, because as you say that's not as important to you! It is to me though. Instead of having a lot of plats, the stats I care about, if at all, are completion rate and, to some extent, average rarity. Although I will play games with high completion percentages if I'm really interested... Déraciné or Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice come to mind.  

We all could have a lot more plats, a lot more trophies, a lot more of everything, especially with all the garbage games pouring in from everywhere, and everybody will decide for themselves what aspect of trophy hunting to focus on. 

Personally, I feel that with UR trophies at least, most of the time there is some work that needs to be put in, and that's what is often so satisfying - at least to me. With exceptions, of course. 😅

Edited by Arcesus7

1 minute ago, Arcesus7 said:

Call it OCD, I call it determination. Not everybody can finish all games they start, for a variety of reasons. I play my games the same way, already did before trophies were a thing.

I'm the same way.

I just recently went back to Batman: Arkham City, DOOM and Assassins Creed Unity for the first time in years. Did not touch them at all as I kinda lost interest in all three titles.

Sometimes the first time isn't the time you love a game. I spent a long time hovering around Bloodborne before I really got to enjoy it.

2 minutes ago, Arcesus7 said:

I don't doubt that. You also mentioned before that you could get up to 150-200 UR trophies easily, and again, I don't doubt that 1f642.png Fact is, you don't, because as you say that's not as important to you! It is to me though. Instead of having a lot of plats, the stats I care about, if at all, are completion rate and, to some extent, average rarity. Although I will play games with high completion percentages if I'm really interested... Déraciné or Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice come to mind.  

We all could have a lot more plats, a lot more trophies, a lot more of everything, especially with all the garbage games pouring in from everywhere. I feel that with UR trophies at least, most of the time there is some work that needs to be put in, and that's what is often so satisfying, at least to me. With exceptions, of course. 1f605.png

I have mostly stopped going after those easy platinums because I did not enjoy them that much.

I spent the past year focusing more on games that I've been wanting to play for years. I haven't been a trophy hunter for as long as many people on here have and certainly not as long as the guys over at PST.org. I missed out on a lot of PS3/Vita games and I felt this notion to play a number of easy games because I enjoy seeing that very familiar platinum trophy icon pop up on your television screen.

I followed YouTubers like Cornshaq Gaming and of course Brian aka PS4Trophies. They have both posted a number of videos on the easiest, fastest, quickest games with a platinum trophy, and I figured hey why not try out these games?

Orc Slayer was terrible and dull, and there are a number of games that have that high percentage that don't play good at all. I autopopped Sound Shapes and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, which are incredibly cheap as every other trophy hunter will probably tell you. I realized that it wasn't really worth it.

My average rarity has dipped significantly over the past two years. I was actually above 60 percent average rarity at one point, now I'm at 46.94 percent average rarity and it will continue to go down.

And of course, you know me and Super Meat Boy. But you can't leave out games that aren't ultra rare but still give great satisfaction, like Dead Space 2, and obviously Bloodborne.

The rarity of allot of trophies on this site is fucked anyway. Nuclear Throne, DariusBurst... still catching 2 years later. 

4 hours ago, Dead Weight said:

Stop sharing with us your yaoi fan-fictions, you're getting way off topic

I dont even know what the fuck that means

anyone care to fill me in here? Lmao🤣

Stop sharing?🤔 But i answered OPs question about why i hold importance to URs because in fact, he asked why thus the correlation of me sharing my said opinion

like wtf🤯

the only person being off topic is well, you

So..🤫

I don't know what Yaoi is either. But when I look at the bolded sentence, I am pretty sure this page might be of some help to you.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

I don't really care for ultra rare trophies or platinums. Just checked my log and I have 15 UR Platinums. I don't even know why are they ultra rare, cause I don't see any difficult games among them. I guess Thief 4 is so bad, that even if you just completed the game it is enough of accomplishment in itself.

I don't see much difference between 4% and 6% rarity, but rarity is the only stat that I'm paying attention to.

What's the point of a 90% plat that anyone can get? It's like participation trophy, a piece of junk.

No. I don’t care about UR trophies or platinums myself, but I do find it very impressive if someone has a lot of hard games completed on their profile. And as others already mentioned, total UR count doesn’t mean anything imo. I’ve got close to 400 UR trophies with basically 0 really hard games completed. I could play games like Magicka 2 and Trine 2 and many similar games and add hundreds more without effort.

2 hours ago, KaKrackle said:

The rarity of allot of trophies on this site is fucked anyway. Nuclear Throne, DariusBurst... still catching 2 years later. 

That's still not fixed? I made some suggestions as well in Premier membership forum in the past and nobody ever responds to that either. Great way to treat people that support this website financially I guess.

I've never really cared myself but I can see the allure of having a plat that only a few have achieved. My thing is that most games with those plats take more time and patience than I have so I pay no mind to them or simply play them without the intention of platting

They are important, after all when we get a lot of them people in the street are gonna hug and kiss us.

...right?

I don‘t really care for the rarity. Most of my Ultra rare are from wwe or other Type of beat‘em‘up games. For example taking Mortal kombat 9 as an example, I struggled with the challenge Tower but the Rest was easy, just needed a lot of patience for 24 Hrs with each character. At that time I could use the PS3 of my roommate to Play other games. I Played easy games like Mayo or heros Trials as a Stress relieve from grinding in Injustice 2 and WWE 18. 

All comes down to personal preference. What you like and what you play. If you like getting lots of hard platinums, good for you. If you like many sub 1 hour platinums, good for you too. Im with @VirtualNight on this. I play mostly fighting and shmups. Some are hard, some easy :)

1 hour ago, STARLOVE said:

That's still not fixed? I made some suggestions as well in Premier membership forum in the past and nobody ever responds to that either. Great way to treat people that support this website financially I guess.

Nope. For example I believe DariusBurst is currently catching by 6 people 😡 

44 minutes ago, KaKrackle said:

Nope. For example I believe DariusBurst is currently catching by 6 people 1f621.png 

Its same with R4 both versions and Crypt too. There are a few more i believe 

3 hours ago, nyonmyan said:

I don't see much difference between 4% and 6% rarity, but rarity is the only stat that I'm paying attention to.

What's the point of a 90% plat that anyone can get? It's like participation trophy, a piece of junk.

Sometimes the journey is more important than the destination. That's why I still play some games with really high plat or 100% completion rate. 

I have to agree that plats in the 4-6% range aren't all that different difficulty wise. Even most 3% ones aren't that hard. 

Said all that, I usually only care about UR trophies on others profiles as a measure of how they trophy hunt (high rank, low UR count usually doesn't impress me at all), this goes along with the total trophy completion statistic. 

For my own profile, I usually don't care much about individual trophy rarity, unless I'm getting to many "easy" trophies and start to see my profile total rarity starting to go up (I still think mine is to high). 

UR plats are important to me, but not so much that I won't play plenty of other games with higher rarities. 

If platinum is UR, it adds a bit of motivation even if I don't enjoy game that much. I even bought one game (Velocity 2x) because of its UR platinum and ended up enjoying it.

If platinum is not UR, I don't go for it if I don't enjoy the game enough. All of my non-UR plats are from games I enjoyed enough.

That's the reason why I have Super Meat Boy platinum and not Crash Bandicoot platinum

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex

I love getting ultra-rare trophies! I always enjoyed challenges :) 

I also enjoy building a rare collection of games people don't often have. It won't stop me playing any games I enjoy!