Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important To You?

Wavergray

Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?  

710 members have voted

1. 1. Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?

I can't find enough UR plats for single player genres that I like, so I've wound up going after Very Rares. But I've also played games with a higher completion % rating that less than 50 people have finished, so in essence those trophies are ultra rare when compared to the general population.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

On 1-4-2019 at 11:29 AM, Baker said:

No. I don’t care about UR trophies or platinums myself, but I do find it very impressive if someone has a lot of hard games completed on their profile. And as others already mentioned, total UR count doesn’t mean anything imo. I’ve got close to 400 UR trophies with basically 0 really hard games completed. I could play games like Magicka 2 and Trine 2 and many similar games and add hundreds more without effort.

Well 2.5 years later and my opinion hasn’t changed much. I still don’t care about UR trophies. But since then I have completed a couple of hard games and it does feel good when you finally complete it. It’s fun to occasionally challenge yourself.

UR trophy count is still the most overrated statistic on PSNP imo. With games like Zumba, Singstar, In Space we Brawl, and many, many more games that hand out UR trophies for free.

What I find more interesting is: If tomorrow all trophy rarities would disappear, would you still be happy with the games you played? 

• Like 3

I'm definitely starting to care more. I didn't really give it much thought for the better part of this account, but within the last ten or so games I've started to keep an eye on what games with UR plats look good. It's likely that I'll try to alternate between UR and other rarity or at least do more UR games than I have been

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If a game's platinum is Ultra Rare, to me, it means one of 3 things:

1. It's bad or broken, and most people who start it have too much sense to be willing to continue engaging with it.

2. It's excessively difficult or unreasonably grindy, but not engaging enough to entice people into rising to the challenge / slogging through it.

3. It is good, but under appreciated and under-played... which means there will be fewer people to discuss it with afterwards, and it will be less likely to get a sequel, or for a sequel to sell well, thus harming it's chances as a series.

I can name a lot of games that don't fall into either of those categories ? 

Personally.. I do care about rarity to some extent. I only care about achieving a UR platinum if the rarity can be attributed to the game being challenging. Easy UR games, such as for example "Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime", don't really mean the same to me as something like Trials Fusion or Trackmania Turbo. All three are fun games, but only the later two being UR does mean something to me personally. The former one could be sitting at 50%+ rarity for all I care, the game is as easy as they come. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

All three are fun games, but only the later two being UR does mean something to me personally. The former one could be sitting at 50%+ rarity for all I care, the game is as easy as they come. 

Sure - I get what you're saying - I'm not trying to be incindiery or dismissive -

all I mean is, if those games suddenly became 20% rarity, (if an exploit or something was found, or if people just suddenly got way into those games) they wouldn't mean less to you than they do now, would they?

That's really what I'm getting at - for me, since rarity is something that can be affected by lots of things besides difficulty, it seems an odd metric to use to determine which ones make me 'proud', if you know what I mean.

There are a few that happen to fall in UR that I would say also fall in my 'proud-of-it' camp, (Dandara / Lumines / Arkham City maybe? (though that one is more about the 100% than the platinum)   - but the Venn diagram is only pretty loosely overlapping.

There are way more that I would say I take pride in that don't come within a country mile of UR - Sekiro / Souls games / Dead Cells / Salt and Sanctuary / The Witness for example. 

Those are all games I personally found very difficult, and satisfying to beat - and I would happily wear them as a badge of honour before, say, Sniper Ghost Warrior, or Rainbow Moon or LBP, or - God forbid - Space Overlords :blink:, you know?

• Like 2

Ultra Rarity is the only type of trophy that matters to me.

In my eyes a game's trophy list isn't worth going after unless it's difficult to obtain, even by trophy hunting standards. I simply get bored if a game offers no real resistance. 

Edited by VigilantCrow
  • Like 1

Just now, Arcesius said:

Oh, absolutely not! An example of a game where this happened to me was Hollow Knight.. I did it when it was still UR, then an exploit was found and the game is now sitting at what.. close to 10%? That does not mean that my experience with the game and its challenges changed retrospectively. 

I agree, and this is the reason why I don't hunt URs. I don't play a game because it is UR. But if it happens to be, and the rarity is due to the challenge it poses.. Then yeah, that's the sort of UR that I really care about :) 

100% agree on all points - and this is exactly how I feel, but in significantly less words than it took me to say it ? ?

I look at games like Dark Souls, Bloodborne and such that have no UR trophies, but have so much more value to me than my Madden platinum Ultra Rares.  Even then, it is more on a personal level of achievement.  The difficulty of the trophy and or the accomplishment of earning them is what matters to me.

• Like 1

I think it's something cool for a moment, however I believe it's uncontrollable.  You can't control the number of people that buy the game, play the game, decide to give up, decide to platinum it, or if it has Multiplayer, you don't know how many are going to get it after the servers have closed.  

Mortal Kombat IX is a good example, so I bought this game, and several others like GT5 not knowing servers had closed or really anything about the trophy system.  Bought my first PS3 5 years ago.  Now I sit there and I'm like...well I could go through the games and get the trophies I can get and then be done with it.  Yet in calculation, when I get a game that a person cannot platinum anymore, the platinum and any multiplayer trophies get rarer, yet the trophies I can get become more common.  So I'm like what do I do with this, do I just abandon GT5 since I don't even have a single trophy yet, or do I playthrough it to get the trophies I can get?  I'm thinking if the game works and I've already bought it and I enjoy the series of both titles I think I will get the trophies I can get.

Ultimately as I said it seems uncontrollable, while some games are more rarer to get the platinum then others that really comes down to the personal preference of gamers.  Like for example the Need for Speed (few games) and Max Payne 3 servers closing so then there is this mad rush of trophy hunters to get those plats before the servers closed, and then the rarity of those plats and the trophies can definitely be changed by so many playing or trying it.

I would say it's cool if you can get them, yet people should play the games they like, and if I like God of War like the majority of other people then I'm not going to feel ashamed if I get a plat at 30% or whatever for it.

I will say this, I'm interested in 0.00%'s that are actually achievable, so not Attacking Zegeta as that seems impossible.  It's probably my little bit of OCD where I think all games should at least be completed by 1 person.  My main problem with this and really any Trophy site is not knowing whether looking at a trophy list if the platinum is achievable, or if a server is closed why the trophies that are mutliplayer or online required can't be red texted or red background so it would give players an "at a glance" view of knowing that certain trophies are not attainable.  It also would end several hundred threads possibly of people asking the "can this still be platted" or "are the servers closed"?

Edited by LegendExeter

I think "important" is too strong of a word for me. I mean, I "like" them a lot, sure, but I wouldn't say they're important. Trophy rarity does not add nor take away from my experience with a game.

I value them to an extent. For example: Astrobot is obviously no way near Ultra Rare, but it's a dope ass game that I enjoyed thoroughly. Vanquish is however Ultra Rare, which is also a dope ass game that I enjoyed thoroughly. I value my Vanquish Platinum more then my Astrobot Platinum as it took way more effort and I'm proud of it. But I enjoyed both games immensely, regardless.

I like Ultra Rare trophies from challenging games because I like challenging myself. But ultimately, I like games more than I like trophies so they really aren't "important" to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

No they do not

There is no correlation between rarity and difficulty/skill/time commitment 

No correlation?  It is obviously not a perfect 1:1 correlation, but rarity is VERY HIGHLY correlated to difficulty/skill/time commitment.

5 minutes ago, djb5f said:

No correlation?  It is obviously not a perfect 1:1 correlation, but rarity is VERY HIGHLY correlated to difficulty/skill/time commitment.

The most time intensive trophy that I've done is all the crowns for MHW and Iceborne, neither of them are even close to Ultra Rare.

• Like 2