Top 5 Games of the Generation

PhantomFear94

Although nothing is confirmed, all the stars seem to align with the following hypothesis - this generation of gaming coming to an end. Aside from the fact that the last 2 generations have both lasted 7-8 years (PS2/Xbox 2000 - 2007; Xbox 360/PS3 2005 - 2013), it would appear likely that Xbox is planning to unveil the next generation of consoles at this year's E3, with a prospective release of 2020. In fact, I'd be stunned if they didn't with all the reports. I'm primarily an Xbox gamer, but I love PS too, and after the fiasco of releasing the PS3 a whole year after the Xbox 360 I hope (and doubt) Sony will make that mistake again. They will also release the PS5 in late 2020/early 2021 most likely. 

This has made me reflect on what my favorite games of the generation have been. What are yours?  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

- Obvious, but the game must be available on PS4. Exclusive or X-Platform, doesn't matter.

- Must have launched on PS4, so no remasters, collections or remakes of previous-generation launch games (i.e. BioShock Collection, Borderlands Handsome Collection).

- Games that launched on PS4, but also came out on PS3 (i.e. Persona 5), are allowed. As long as they LAUNCHED on PS4 in the first instance.

- Entire remakes (i..e Resident Evil 2) aren't allowed. Even though they complete revamp or even change the game, the source material is still directly from a previous generation IMO.  

- Reboots are fine. These are still original games, just from established IP's.

- Keep it to a game a series. Will be boring otherwise. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honourable mentions - Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014), Fallout 4 (2015), Bloodborne (2015), Oxenfree (2016), INSIDE (2016), Virginia (2016), Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (2017), Far Cry 5 (2018) and Detroit Become Human (2018), Red Dead Redemption 2 (2018) (please don't @ me on this one, as a completionist I jus.

Games not on PS that would have been in the conversation - Ori and the Blind Forest (2015), The Legend of Zelda: BOTW (2017), Super Mario's Odyssey (2017), GRIS (2018), Forza Horizon 4 (2018)

Where is RDR2? - As a completionist, full-time worker and part-time masters student, time is precious and I simply haven't got around to finishing it yet. I have really enjoyed what I've played so far (mid-way).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5) NieR: Automata (2017)

I never thought I'd fall in love with this game, but I did. I'm not a huge RPG guy, I'm even less of a JRPG guy (I know this isn't a pure JRPG, don't @ me). What NieR: Automata delivers is a wonderfully wacky and innovative gaming experience which synthesizes the best of many genres into one unique package. You're only really done after 3 playthroughs, experiencing the world in different ways and seeing the conclusion of many side-stories you really start to care about. Gameplay is fluid, the bosses are brilliant, and the soundtrack is probably the best ever made. Also thought the difficulty options were incredibly catering, from a plethora of assists to an ultra hard mode where one hit = death, was a great inclusivity tool. Trying to get as many endings as possible also became super addictive. Minor caveats are very mixed quality side quests and some questionable graphics at times, but a great game to start the list. 

4) Doom (2016)

If the gameplay and sheer fun factor alone were the determinant factors, this would have been my game of the generation. I personally thought that DOOM was the perfect FPS title. Its gameplay married old-school FPS with modern conventions and visuals PERFECTLY. It nailed the balance of challenge, arcade gameplay, ludicrousy and quality level design that would make old and new fans happy. Honestly, I can't wrap my head around how they did this so well. It was easily the best game of 2016 for me, nothing else came close. I think criticisms of the game being a bit repetitive are somewhat valid, and the MP is very average, but the level design and challenges stop this from becoming anything other than a very minor caveat in an otherwise wonderful game. Even at three years old, it also puts 2019 games to shame regarding performance and graphical fidelity, too. 

3) Metro Exodus (2019)

I personally think some may view the other titles in this list are technically better games; however, this is a personal list and Metro is probably my third favorite series of all time (behind BioShock and Half-Life) so I admittedly am biased. Despite a couple of imperfections, it delivered the perfect end to the trilogy. Visually stunning, vastly improved gunplay, well paced and an engaging narrative, this game was made for the fans. Its USP, though, is its atmospheric world design. Very few developers make more immersive worlds than 4A have with Metro, it's one of the few games where you feel a part of the world. The lore seeps out of every corner, there is a complete commitment to the aesthetic, and it is totally captivating. I also like that it demands you to have played 2033 and Last Light (KHIII does this well too); a pet peeve of mine is when games pander sequels to everybody with a simple "previously on X" (looking at you, Wolfenstein II). This may sound elitist, I just think that if something is intended to be part of a series, it shouldn't compromise its vision of what the game wants to achieve. The game isn't without flaws. the open world levels, for the most part, are largely unnecessary.  The linear levels are, once again, so good (the Dead City is one of my favorite levels in recent history), and it's getting to the point now where open-world games are so dominant that linear level games are actually the games more distinctive. The open world levels seem paper thin, disguised linear levels trying to cater to the modern gamer in a way it shouldn't need to, and I didn't like this addition at all. A natural consequence of moving out of the Metro is also that you lose that sense political and ideological difference with other factions in the Metro who are also trying to survive, a motif I thought seperated Metro from other shooters on a conceptual level. Still, a wonderful game.

2) God of War (2018)

This game is the best PS exclusive of this generation by an absolute landslide in my opinion. This and #1 were the only two games of this generation where I wish my memory could be wiped, just so I could go back and experience it for the first time all over again. Prepare for some gushing here. The story is done with such tact, nuance and delicate manipulation of reasonably accurate mythology to create a mythological synthesis that is impressive to the core and something no one else will ever be able to replicate. The length of the main story was perfect, well paced, and articulated a wonderfully emotional journey of Kratos and Atreus is akin to that of Joel and Ellie in TLOU, which was unexpected. The voice acting, in all regards, was stellar. The gameplay was so developed and smooth I have barely a single complaint of it. I thought the light-RPG elements and use of gear to build strength and soft-lock higher level enemies was much more interesting than a generic level bar. The end game content was probably the best end-game content of a non-RPG I've ever played (varied, fun, challenging).  I could go on, and on, and on, but God of War above all other games on this list looks at every minor detail, and tries to do it better than anyone else has done it before. Even the semi-open world hub progression was wicked; more controlled than open world, more free-ing than linear games. The bosses were a touch disappointing (not outright bad, but lost the sense of scale), and there was a very strong vibe of "the princess is in the OTHER castle" throughout, which was a cheap tactic to extend the game's life IMO. Very little to dislike, though, in my humble opinion, and truly worthy of its reputation.

1) Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (2017)

I have a special relationship with this game, and it just resonated with me in a way none of the other games of this generation ever could. I always really liked Resident Evil, but I was by no means a super hardcore fan. However, Resident Evil 7 was the perfect return to form, and with RE2 following shortly thereafter and being equally good the future of the franchise has never looked better. Similar to DOOM, i married the old to the new in a way that is difficult to underpin, but present everywhere. It is a meticulously crafted, and everything seems deliberate and well designed; nothing seems to be an accident. The replay value for the game is remarkable, and the way the game takes such a departure from previous Resident Evil entries yet still familiar is fantastic. Above everything else, this game builds character in a way that epitomizes horror. A slightly campy edge, but still utterly terrifying bunch of outcasts, and the first time you meet each other the Bakers is always memorable.  I almost think that Ethan Winters' banality actually assists in exaggerating this, it makes you care very little about you and invests you in the quality of its antagonist cast instead.  The design of the house in an almost Metroid-vania type of way was also a great return to form, and makes the game feel more claustrophobic to enclose you within its own brand of horror. The game is impeccably paced IMO, you're never in one place for too long, the bosses are great, and the replay value is so natural with added weapon items, a superb achievement/trophy list and fair difficulty curves. Even the DLC is insane, varying tasks, varying challenges, always provides something new and enjoyable to almost double the hour count. If I could nitpick, I think the last third of the game trails a bit, and lapses back into the realms of action > horror, but its a pretty minor complaint in what is otherwise my game of the generation.

Edited by phantomfear9494
  • Like 2

1. Hitman 2

2. Prey

3. The Witness

4. Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture

5. Life is Strange

Honourable mentions:

Dead Cells

Dishonored 2

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Wolfenstein The New Collosus

Dark Souls 3

Bloodborne

The Surge

Rogue Legacy

Tacoma

Rise of the Tomb Raider

God of War

Nier: Automata

Uncharted 4

Edited by DrBloodmoney

I can’t help but disagree with some of the rules you’ve included. I understand that the rule prohibiting games that didn’t launch on PS4 is probably there to prevent games from older generations that were simply ported over but you’re excluding a massive amount of games that were released on PC and ported over within the span of the current generation. I also believe that remakes should absolutely be allowed as most of them clearly distinguish themselves from the original. Finally, i don’t see why non-PS4 games should be excluded. 

So this is my list ignoring the rules that i have issues with:

1. Bloodborne 

2. Hollow Knight

3. Yakuza 0

4. Monster Hunter World

5. Rivals of Aether

Honorable Mentions:

Tekken 7, Superhot, Undertale, Shovel Knight, Nier Automata, Furi, Persona 5

1. NieR: Automata
  2. INSIDE
  3. XCOM 2
  4. God of War
  5. Yakuza 0

Honorable mentions/games from other systems: Breath of the Wild, Ori and the Blind Forest, Gravity Rush 2, Smash Ultimate, Stardew Valley.

Shout out to Mirror's Edge Catalyst; it's only a "good" game, but I enjoyed it enough to buy it on Xbone and PS4, so there's that.

3 hours ago, Happy said:

I can’t help but disagree with some of the rules you’ve included. I understand that the rule prohibiting games that didn’t launch on PS4 is probably there to prevent games from older generations that were simply ported over but you’re excluding a massive amount of games that were released on PC and ported over within the span of the current generation. I also believe that remakes should absolutely be allowed as most of them clearly distinguish themselves from the original. Finally, i don’t see why non-PS4 games should be excluded. 

Rules was just to provide scope, not hamper creativity so sorry for that.  Understand your comments on PC, if they were released exclusively on PC and then ported over I kind of get that argument.  I'm not a PC gamer, but I suppose they kind of exist outside generations, although in a scenario where a PC game came out pre-2013 and only now got ported to PS4 I would argue that was last-gen. 

I respectfully disagree with remakes. Resi 2 possibly aside (even then, probably not different enough) the majority of remakes (e.g. Crash/Spyro/SotC). are all still fundamentally the same game as was released years ago, just updated to the modern standard re: graphics and gameplay tweaks. They are ultimately new renditions of old work, and not current generation games IMO.  

Non-PS4 games was purely because this is a PS community, and it feels weird to include games you can't play on PS in a PS forum. I imposed that rule upon myself; Ori and the Blind Forest would have probably been runner up. 

3 hours ago, I need more BIOSHOCK said:

5. Drawn to death

Not a criticism, as you game like what you like and good on you, but I never thought I'd see that game in a games of the generation list I'll be honest ?

Edited by phantomfear9494

1. The witcher 3

2. Horizon zero dawn

3. God of war

4. Mgs v phantom pain

5.  Driveclub 

This gen has been so awesome that's impossible to do only top 5, so I'll add 12 honorable mentions 

Honorable mentions 

Deus ex md           spider man

Bloodborne           ac odyssey + origins

Battlefield 4           metro exodus

Mad max                uncharted 4 + lost legacy  

Prey                         rise of the tomb raider

Edited by BrasilKilla
  • Like 1

1. Hollow Knight

2. Celeste

3. Ori and the Blind Forest

4. Uncharted 4

5. Life Is Strange

HM: Red Dead Redemption II, Resident Evil 7, Marvel's Spider-Man, Axiom Verge, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Hyper Light Drifter, God of War

I was definitely more into the indies this generation.

Reserve the right to change this as my mood see's fit. :)

Edited by Dreakon13