Top 5 Games of the Generation

PhantomFear94

I dont have 5. This generation just wasnt great. There were plenty of good games, but not very many truly great games. The only ones I would put on a list like this are

Horizon Zero Dawn

Spider-Man

Persona 5

Everything else had some kind of major issue. Most of the time the same one, the game was launched incomplete, and "DLC" was added to fill in the gaps. But it always led to the game feeling fractured and/or badly paced. And I cant call a game like that the best of anything.

1. The Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth/Afterbirth/Afterbirth+

- This was a PS+ game back in the 2014 and I still play it every damn day after all these years. Not only Isaac is my favorite game of this generation, but it's my favorite game of all time.

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

- I wasn't familiar with the series before this, but got sucked into the hype and rest is history. My favorite RPG since Fallout: New Vegas.

3. XCOM 2

- Enemy Unknown was in a PS+ at some point and I loved it, so I had to get the sequel. XCOM 2 was even better experience. I'm really bad at playing this, but it's just so much fun to kick some alien ass. I should really try to get the Platinum-trophy at some point.

4. Enter The Gungeon

- Pretty much same deal as Isaac gameplaywise, but with guns. I do not have the same passion for this (or any other game to be honest), but it's still a really great game. And there's still new free content coming for this one, yay.

5. Life Is Strange

- Dontnod took the TellTale-formula and made it even better with this game. Gameplay isn't really the main focus here, I just loved the characters and their interactions.

I have only given five 10/10 ratings in this generation and these games are those.

At last some honorable mentions (basically 9/10 games): Wolfenstein: The New Order, Mad Max, Until Dawn, Rogue Legacy, What Remains of Edith Finch, Red Dead Redemption 2

Edited by Juzota

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

2. God of War

3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

4. Persona 5

5. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Honorable mentions for me are: Overwatch, Nier: Automata, Cuphead, Dark Souls III, Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, Super Mario Odyssey and Super Smash Brothers Ultimate.

Still need to play through stuff like Red Dead 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Yakuza 0, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain to be able to fully gauge them! :)

Edited by UrbanaSupernovA

Kind of difficult because i haven't played all the ps4 games i've wanted to yet, but for now i'd say it's something like this,

• God of War 
  • Danganronpa V3
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Nier Automata
  • DOOM

Honourable mentions: Persona 5, Monster Hunter World, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, Ratchet & Clank, Horizon Zero Dawn. It's been a pretty good gen.

I'll preface this by saying I haven't played Sekiro, The Witcher 3, or Persona 5, so my list could change. But as it stands right now...

1. XCOM 2. Best game ever, as far as I'm concerned. War of the Chosen is practically a standalone game.
  2. Bloodborne. Glad to see this on so many other lists.
  3. Dark Souls III. Even if the Dancer made me quit gaming.
  4. Darkest Dungeon. Such a niche game, but the graphics, gameplay, and VA are phenomenal. DLC is great too (which is a running theme so far).
  5. Celeste. There are a lot of good choices to put here at the end, but I think this one just edges out A Hat in Time and Valkyria Chronicles 4. Beautiful soundtrack and amazing platforming.

These are the games ive spent hundreds and hundreds of hours playing over and over again, long after the platinum was unlocked and the game modes included that ive spent the majority of my time playing

Call of duty black ops 3 (multiplayer)

call of duty black ops 4 (blackout)

call of duty infinite warfare (zombies, best zombies mode to date, i gotta go back to the campaign for the plat)

call of duty WWII (multiplayer)

bloodborne

Edited by Property_Damage

All right. After scouring my games, I think these are my 5 faves (whether they're the absolute top 5 of the generation...is completely obvious. If I like them, they MUST be the best!)

1. Bloodborne - So much goes right in that game, and I'm not even a fan of the parrying mechanic. Running through a bunch of witches trying to slaughter me,as I look for a non-descript edge to drop into a cage to get a key? Awesome. 
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition - Another one that hits all the high notes. I played and platted this twice, and loved every minute of it. One day, I'll go back for my final playthrough to clean up the last few trophies and 100% the PS4 version once and for all.
  3. The Witcher 3 - Believe the hype. Witcher 3 is a great experience from top to bottom. The DLC is probably the most fun I've ever had with any DLC, ever.
  4. God of War - I had thought Kratos had hit his zenith on the PS3. Was I wrong. God of War was a fantastic experience. I love the new Kratos voicework, and the father-son dynamic works exceedingly well. I look forward to taking the fight to Thor and Odin...but only if I need to.
  5. Persona 5 - ATLUS has been somewhat MIA during the PS3 and PS4 generations, after a busy PS2 run. Persona 5 changed all that. Great art style, great characters, great action, great music - a great game all around.
Edited by starcrunch061

These are my top five of this generation so far. Actually, it’s been hard for me to choose so here it goes. 

1. Persona 5

2. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

3. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

4. Grand Theft Auto V

5. Horizon Zero Dawn

Edited by Terra

1. Bloodborne

not much to say to it, it's near perfect and old hunters made it even better

2. Persona 5

Style: The Video Game

3. Horizon: Zero Dawn

very likeable main character, beautiful world, amazing story and flawless gameplay + very good DLC

4. Nier: Automata

best video game ost ever, sick style, emotional story and diversified gameplay

5. Witcher 3

I really miss Geralt :-/ Hearts of Stone is in my Top3 DLC List (with old hunters and tiny tina's assault on dragon keep)

This Generation was just amazing, for me even better than the last. Top 5 is really hard, even a top 30 could get difficult

Edited by J3dP89

From what I've played thus far :

1. Uncharted 4 : A Thief's End

2. Batman Arkham Knight 

3. God Of War

4. The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt

5. Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain

Honourable mentions : Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Titanfall 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Infamous Second Son, Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus.