Bored?

Is it just me or does anyone else feel bored after 1 playthrough? Well i'm at last boss, struggling a bit but i lack the motivation to finish the game. The world is amazing and i always wanted to see what was ahead and loved it. But the bosses? kind of a letdown (Exception of Guardian). It's all the same i feel like, Dodge/deflect and attack. rinse and repeat. Unlike previous titles where you had lots more choices for combat. spells and several different weapons types to spice things up and suite your playstyle. In previous titles the bosses were the exciting part, For me it's the other way around in Sekiro. And seeing how NG+ doesn't bring anything new (to my knowledge atleast) Only more Vitalty/Posture DMG from enemies and higher health pools to make it even harder, considering most if not all bosses currently can 1-shot you in NG already. Don't get me wrong, It's an amazing game but i don't see myself going through this until NG+5 and beyond like i did in all other games. Fromsoft makes amazing dlc's So i'll be waiting on that and see what more they can bring to Sekiro :D 

• Like 1

Personally I wont be playing past NG+ I would rather do more bloodborne and DS3 playthroughs but for my time with Sekiro I had a blast,  not every Fromsoft game has to have unlimited replayability.  

Most games I only play once anyways and thats enough for me BB and DS3 are just exceptions for me.  

I will probs do another playthrough of Sekiro in a years time because I still enjoy the game but its not a game I want to play over and over again.

• Like 1

Idk about any of this.. I’m on my second playthrough and knowing what I know from my first, I’m FLYING through my second.. and it is so DAMN satisfying.. like.. moreso than any game ever has felt before in NG+.. most of the time, I hate playing through any game a second time in NG+ and it just feels so tedious to have to do things more than once.. not with sekiro.. I feel damn near untouchable.. I beat Genichiro in Ashina first try.. I beat guardian ape on my second try only because I was messing around on my first go (seriously, making myself laugh thinking about how I was trolling him, which he didn’t take to kindly to).. I’m already at headless ape 2.0 and I’ve literally only put maybe 3 hours into my second playthrough, give or take like +/- 30mins.. I’ve been zooming.. it’s felt so damn good

• Like 2

Only game I ever replayed was bloodborne in order to obtain all the endings and because it was just a phenomenal game that I wanted to experience again. Never did a full NG+ on any of the souls games since what I most like about these games is the element of surprise and exploration. Going through an unknown area for the first time or finally managing to beat that really tough boss/section is the best feeling there is for me with these games. In NG+ that element of surprise is gone so it becomes boring for me anyway, even when the game has great replayability like DS. So I don't mind that Sekiro isn't really that interesting to play over and over again, 

I think it is because they removed so many key features that kept games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne fresh. There no other weapon types. You get one samurai sword in a samurai game. You had more katana options in any other Fromsoftware game. Why does this matter? Because it limits you to one playstyle. The Prosthetic is cool, but the tools end up just being gimmicks that let you get a few extra hits. There's no magic/ranged option,

What really takes the longevity of the game is the lack of multiplayer. I could play through DS/BB a lot with friends and pvp was fun.

I think Sekiro is fun and worth playing, but there no way it would have a long shelf life.

21 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I think it is because they removed so many key features that kept games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne fresh. There no other weapon types. You get one samurai sword in a samurai game. You had more katana options in any other Fromsoftware game. Why does this matter? Because it limits you to one playstyle. The Prosthetic is cool, but the tools end up just being gimmicks that let you get a few extra hits. There's no magic/ranged option,

What really takes the longevity of the game is the lack of multiplayer. I could play through DS/BB a lot with friends and pvp was fun.

I think Sekiro is fun and worth playing, but there no way it would have a long shelf life.

This^ PvP would work wonders in this game with it's combat mechanics. Also the tools i barely used any them at all while going through the game, Mostly just for the late game bosses. Same for the combat arts, They were never worth it imo. The puppet ninjutsu was alright tho

I'm deep in my third playthrough and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. The combat is extremely satisfying and more polished compared to previous FromSoft titles. I feel more engaged in fights compared to DS where all I would do is roll or run around looking for an opening on bosses regardless of my weapon of choice. 

Bloodborne does feel significantly better than Souls, but not as good as Sekiro. I love the trick weapons and that you have an incentive to play aggressively and I feel like Sekiro built on that. It would have been cool to have trick weapons in Sekiro, but not if it meant sacrificing the combat we got. Another thing I love about this game are the executions, which make boss deaths much more of a spectacle. 

I don't think the boss fights are a letdown. They're challenging, but fair and I find it fun to replay these fights with the knowledge I've built up from previous playthroughs. I do believe there isn't as much to explore in the world as there is in DS or Bloodborne, but it was to build a more engaging narrative experience, which I don't mind. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KristofferJr said:

It's all the same i feel like, Dodge/deflect and attack. rinse and repeat. Unlike previous titles where you had lots more choices for combat. spells and several different weapons types to spice things up and suite your playstyle. In previous titles the bosses were the exciting part, For me it's the other way around in Sekiro. 

I haven’t played sekiro myself but the same thing can be said about any souls game. All you do is roll/dodge and attack despite having more choices available for combat.

• Like 1

NG+ was fun because i flew thru the first half and barely died, but the last few bosses had me stuck. I'm not a masochist, so I opted to grind XP for 4-5 hours instead of getting my ass kicked by NG++

i wouldn't have minded more playthroughs if they were required for plat, but they weren't, so my time is best spent elsewhere :pimp:

10 hours ago, KristofferJr said:

This^ PvP would work wonders in this game with it's combat mechanics. Also the tools i barely used any them at all while going through the game, Mostly just for the late game bosses. Same for the combat arts, They were never worth it imo. The puppet ninjutsu was alright tho

In my opinion the tools are the best thing about this game and many people seem to underestimate their power. I honestly think that most of them would be broken af in PVP. 

Edited by Flex_Da_Brent
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Flex_Da_Brent said:

In my opinion the tools are the best thing about this game and many people seem to underestimate their power.

Tools are actually one of the best things that happened with Sekiro. The sheer variety of boss interaction and different uses still amazes me. This and a combat system, that is more involved than R1-R1-Dodge.

1 hour ago, Akrioz said:

Tools are actually one of the best things that happened with Sekiro. The sheer variety of boss interaction and different uses still amazes me. This and a combat system, that is more involved than R1-R1-Dodge.

Couldn't say it better myself, Sekiro is the first Fromsoft title that really encourages you to use more than just the primary weapon. You can't rely on using the same tactic on every single enemy anymore cause they often require completely different playstyles to beat where in previous titles you could just dodge & R1 spam to victory 99% of the time. I never bothered playing like a mage or a cleric or whatever in DS cause I knew I could perfectly beat the game without any magic at all. In sekiro there is maybe less choice but it doesn't really feel that way since everything seems to have more of a purpose here, almost all of the tools and skills are really useful in their own specific conditions which actually made me use way more stuff than I ever did in a DS game.

Edited by Flex_Da_Brent

• 2 weeks later...

Limiting the player to just one weapon and a handful of prosthetics ? gives From Soft more control over how the player can approach the game.

Their other games (Soulsborne) definitely have better replayability due to different weapon/magic/armour choices. 

Played through NG+++ and never got bored. Beating bosses again felt as good as the first time. Playing through 4 times makes the skill grind much less boring as well. I grinded out what I needed in NG+++ in an hour or two after getting all 4 endings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Killbomb said:

Played through NG+++ and never got bored. Beating bosses again felt as good as the first time. Playing through 4 times makes the skill grind much less boring as well. I grinded out what I needed in NG+++ in an hour or two after getting all 4 endings. 

What's the xp gain like on NG+++?

I'm on NG+ and have got all the way up to Genichiro, killing every enemy through Ashina Castle and Hirata Estate without dying and have only just gone passed 5 skills points.

I knew this game will be thrown into dust pretty soon, the moment FS announced there won't be any multiplayer and basically no character build/weapon system. That's why Bloodborne will always be immortal to me. I can just wake up one day and decide "you know what? I'm gonna start a Beast Claw playthrough". With Sekiro the only option after platinum is "you know what? I'm gonna sell it on ebay and maybe get DMC5 instead".

Sad truth, even though I honestly enjoyed Sekiro and consider it a strong contender to GOTY.

• Like 1

On 2019. 04. 17. at 3:15 PM, NarcissusBaz said:

I knew this game will be thrown into dust pretty soon, the moment FS announced there won't be any multiplayer and basically no character build/weapon system. That's why Bloodborne will always be immortal to me. I can just wake up one day and decide "you know what? I'm gonna start a Beast Claw playthrough". With Sekiro the only option after platinum is "you know what? I'm gonna sell it on ebay and maybe get DMC5 instead".

Sad truth, even though I honestly enjoyed Sekiro and consider it a strong contender to GOTY.

Please get DMC5 for realzies, it needs more sales so I can get more pure action games

On 17. 4. 2019 at 3:15 PM, NarcissusBaz said:

How is this sad? There are so many good games out there. What's wrong with playing it once or twice and move on? For me personally it's definitely one of the best games this year, but I enjoyed the experience playing it twice and will move on to other games.

6 hours ago, KainDMD said:

Please get DMC5 for realzies, it needs more sales so I can get more pure action games

Man, stop spamming every thread with it. We get it. You're hardcore. Souls games are too casual for you. You want hardcore Japanese hack n slash games.

Not to mention DmC 5 is already fastest selling DmC game ever. If it makes you feel better I plan to get it next month.

Edited by BloodyRutz

It seems most of the people who got bored due to the lack of options are those who used to play with magic and ranged weapons in Dark Souls.

While I haven't played it yet I know I will have no problem with just using a single katama because that's the sort of weapon I would pick anyway, lol.

I never play NG+ on souls games either. I only go as far as I need to to finish trophies and that's it. I have so many other games that I want to play and plat that I never feel compelled to replay games after I'm done with the trophies.

3 hours ago, BloodyRutz said:

How is this sad? There are so many good games out there. What's wrong with playing it once or twice and move on? For me personally it's definitely one of the best games this year, but I enjoyed the experience playing it twice and will move on to other games.

Man, stop spamming every thread with it. We get it. You're hardcore. Souls games are too casual for you. You want hardcore Japanese hack n slash games.

Not to mention DmC 5 is already fastest selling DmC game ever. If it makes you feel better I plan to get it next month.

Could you please not deliberately make the m in dmc lower case? It's a reference to that failed capcom project that for some reason made people misspell the game ever since then. DMC,dmc or if you really want to Dmc, but never make the m the only lower case lol Also I'm glad that another player will get the game and the next month is almost here:)