Which game country is best? Western or Japan?

Alantor32

Which game country is best? Western or Japanese?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which game country is best? Western or Japanese?

• Western
    • Japan

I grew up with Mario since he is made by Japan and I grew to love games that made it to the west from Japan. But there are those who think Western gaming is best. While others say that Japan's games is superior. So I made this topic with a poll to decide on this site by the users of this site which game country is best (No, not a country from a game. I meant in real life. xD) by users who have either grew up in Western or Japanese gaming culture. And everyone is free to express their opinions on what they like about the Western or Japanese gaming cultures. :)  

I think this entirely depends on what you are looking for.  Also, I am curious what counts as "western"  Does that mean anything outside of Japan?

Personally I grew up with JRPG's, so they will always hold a special place in my heart, but I think that they gaming industry needs variety, and games like God of War, and HZD are equally fantastic for different reasons.

If you put a gun to my head and forced me to make a choice, I would probably say Japan, but I would not be happy with the choice.

• Like 4

Just now, Sir_Bee said:

I think this entirely depends on what you are looking for.  Also, I am curious what counts as "western"  Does that mean anything outside of Japan?

Personally I grew up with JRPG's, so they will always hold a special place in my heart, but I think that they gaming industry needs variety, and games like God of War, and HZD are equally fantastic for different reasons.

If you put a gun to my head and forced me to make a choice, I would probably say Japan, but I would not be happy with the choice.

Don't worry, dude. Nobody is forcing you to make a choice. I said that everyone is free to express their opinions on which gaming culture they like, Western or Japanese.

Just now, MMX20 said:

Don't worry, dude. Nobody is forcing you to make a choice. I said that everyone is free to express their opinions on which gaming culture they like, Western or Japanese.

Oh, I know.  It was my way of expressing that when it all boils down, I would vote for Japan, but there are so many caveats and other exceptions that I cannot just outright say it.

If you had asked me this question 10 years ago,I would have said Japan without a moment's hesitation. From the days of the NES, Japan brought the goods. 

But lately, I've lost interest in their games. There's just too much fan service nowadays in the pure Japanese games, but in the series like Final Fantasy, they've taken a terrible turn towards trying to make Western-style games, for which they are painfully unequipped. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

Yeah - I was considering a snarky, "I love games from the country of West!" comment. But I would never be snarky. 

• Like 4

Japan without question (if I really had to choose). A Life without Persona, Nier, Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter, everything From Soft does? Nope.

Sometimes the western market is too afraid to try more artistic and maybe supernatural things (which is my thing)

But still, there are plenty of relevant western studios out there, so just give me best of both worlds I guess

Japan for me since the majority of games I play are Japanese. The games are more finished, not many have DLC which is needed but more just there for your enjoyment and bearly any patches. Overall they try harder than western games from all the games I've played. 

This doesn't mean every game is the same, it depends on the company and of course a lot of other things. Final Fantasy XV is a prime example, it's Square Enix yet its got god knows how many DLC's, it's still unfinished and has many, many patches. 

• Like 3

I'm mainly a mix.. I don't have a set in stone genre that I'll stick to so I'll play games from everywhere around the world.

Most developers do good work in their own way regardless of where they are from really.

It all depends on my mood! I will say though, it feels that the Japanese devs tend to put more into their games when it comes to content. Western devs seem to cut it all up and then make a plan to add said stuff in. DLC in other words. Where Japanese devs have it all done before main games. Most DLC they release is cosmetics.

Not always the case I know but still.

17 minutes ago, Vizard-Ichigo-- said:

The one with soul and zero predatory practices.

LOL. This is a conundrum!

20 minutes ago, Andrea said:

C. None of the above

The southern hemisphere is the best country for gaming.

Lots of good games coming out of South America, I'll grant. I don't really know about other countries in the southern hemisphere, though.

Edited by starcrunch061

With all the anime avis on this site I was expecting the "Japan" option to be a blowout tbh. Last gen I would have said Japan without a doubt, but most of my big disappointments this gen have been from Japanese devs, and I've found myself playing more and more western stuff as time has gone on.

Maybe after I actually get round to Sekiro/RE2/DMC5 I'll change my mind again, but for now western devs have the edge at the moment for me.