Which game country is best? Western or Japan?

Alantor32

Which game country is best? Western or Japanese?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which game country is best? Western or Japanese?

• Western
    • Japan

Japan brought us Nintendo which revolutionized the game industry and the gaming scene would be so different without them. And they still pump out quality games.

Then you got Yakuza, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Tales series, Dark Souls, Sekiro, Booodborne, and many more.

I love Western games too of course like Borderlands, Horizon, Spiderman, and the various indie games but there's just a lot more Japanese games I prefer.

Edited by aZombieDictator

I grew up with mostly Japanese games and like RPGs, but find that Japanese games were great back in the early 2000s but have recently fallen off a bit

But with games, I like the way Japanese games are so immersive with hours and hours of content, good solid story and characters and interesting mechanics. I would be referring to certain franchises, in particular FF, KH, Atelier, Persona, Shin Megami Tensei series, Nier, Disgaea, Harvest moon etc. However, I find the newer Japanese releases more disappointing than the older games. Although there have been some fantastic remakes for FF and KH, the newer FFXV and KH3 weren't as good, and there hasn't been a new Tales, Disgaea, FF, HM or Disgaea announcement for ages. As far as Pokemon goes, I only liked up until ORAS and XY before losing interest as it just got too complicated and pokemon got more strange looking. 

There are not many Western games Im into, but did love Crash and Spyro. I haven't played enough western games to properly judge, but most of them don't pique my interest as I'm not really into FPS or sports games which seem to be plentiful. I did like the life is strange games a lot though

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

Japan by default, the West censors content.

And Japan does not? Way to be both lopsided and Ignorant. 

11 minutes ago, Tearraven said:

Ah yes. In stereotypical weeb fashion, the world is split into two parts. "Japan" and "Not Japan" :facepalm:

True I guess, Gotta wonder where the rest of the east fit in with that most notably china and Korea.

Right on topic, Though I do dabble in both gotta go with western as apposed to the east. 

Titanfall 2 continues to stick in my head as just a brilliant game overall. I also adore the works from arkane as well.

• Like 2

Not possible to compare but if you go after - IMHO irrelevant - stuff like metacritic, the western are way up ahead. Sure, there are awesome titles like Nintendo games, From Software's latest games, stuff like Persona 5, Nier, Bayonetta, Vanquish and so on. But there are like billions of rubbish games that never cross the Japanese borders (for a reason).

I don't want to decide. On the one hand, Persona 5 is my favorite game of this generation, but western brought us stuff like GTA, RDR, Witcher, Mass Effect, Knights of the old Republic and many more.

If its Japan vs "everyone else" ... I guess I'd pick everyone else.  Japan has some cool games and franchises for sure, but I'd say the non-Japanese games are typically moreso genre's I prefer.  Not to mention the indie scene seems to be pretty Western-oriented and consistently pumping out great games lately.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

If you had asked me this question 10 years ago,I would have said Japan without a moment's hesitation. From the days of the NES, Japan brought the goods. 

^Pretty much this. Lol. If you had asked me this question during the PS2 generation, I would have surely said Japan. The amount of good JRPGs and games based on anime I was currently watching on Toonami/Adult Swim that I had bought on that system was unreal. But now? I'm not sure.. I'd rather not live with either, to be honest. The scale is not nearly as lopsided as it once was for me. 

1 hour ago, Tearraven said:

Ah yes. In stereotypical weeb fashion, the world is split into two parts. "Japan" and "Not Japan" :facepalm:

I couldn't agree more.
I prefer to judge a game based on the game itself and the team that made it, not the country of origin. This reminds me of the racist meltdowns I see whenever a Japanese IP is outsourced to a non-Japanese developer even when the product is solid. Having seen MMX20's posts before I do not believe they had intended any negativity though.

Good question MMX20. But I'm going to have to say it's a draw. Each has enough good & bad to make the 2 about even. I have leaned more towards Japan in the past, but I've been more open to Western games recently. So I didn't vote.

For FPS I'll say Poland wins because of Bulletstorm, Painkiller, Hard Reset Redux, Shadow Warrior, & SW2. I would take these over 1000 Call of Duty style military shooters anyday.

Japan & Poland tie for RPGs. Japan for Falcom games & Nier Automata. Poland for CD Projekt Red... I'm sure Cyberpunk 2077 will be great. FPS + RPG in the same game? Yes, please.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MidnightMoth said:

I couldn't agree more.
I prefer to judge a game based on the game itself and the team that made it, not the country of origin. This reminds me of the racist meltdowns I see whenever a Japanese IP is outsourced to a non-Japanese developer even when the product is solid. Having seen MMX20's posts before I do not believe they had intended any negativity though.

Aww thanks dude.

• Like 1

Back in the 80s, 90s  and early 00s, Japan ran everything in gaming. The gaming industry in the West was a joke, albeit with a few gems appearing here and there.

The West may be dominating the market now, thanks to their ridiculous budgets, but most of their games borrow heavily from Japanese gaming influences (like Japan did when trying to market their games overseas).

Saying that, jrpgs wouldn't have existed without Wizardry and Ultima from the US - add tabletop D&D to the mix, too. You wouldn't have Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy if it weren't for these games.

Edited by thepeaguy