Who was your favorite boss fight?

Personally my 2 favorites were Guardian ape and Hatred demon,  both of them were amazing and had my heart racing,  they both also felt the closest to Bloodborne bosses.   I hope the DLC gets more crazy bosses like this instead of more human bosses if we do get a DLC that is.

• Like 3

Definitely Serial Apeist and Serial Apeist 2.0 for me.

The thing I loved the most about those fights is the second phase, when Mr Ape starts going apeshit (pun intended) and desperately tries to skewer me with this big odachi that was stuck in his neck for God knows how long!

I found the Guardian Ape to be the most enjoyable boss fight. It's also one of my favourite FromSoft boss fights. The first phase is good and is a nice change of pace from facing swordsman and the like. What makes this fight really stand out is the second phase where the atmosphere becomes very eerie. Seeing the ape pick up its head and the sword you just decapitated it with was amazing. I also really liked how its attack patterns were clumsy to reflect that it was fighting with a severed head.

The OST for this fight was spectacularly done. The first phase felt frantic with hints of the eeriness that was to come with the second phase. The second phase of the OST changed with the fight to become very chilling. Some other aspects of this fight that I enjoyed was how you could grapple to the surrounding to trees to make distance between you and the ape and that you could use your spear in the second phase after a certain attack to yank out the centipede, dealing greater damage and posture damage.

Another fight that I thoroughly enjoyed was against Sword Saint Isshin. You get to slap around Genchiro before the true boss emerges from him. I liked that Isshin wasn't fully geared up like we see him in the intro, but instead he's just wearing the helmet with the yukata. This fight really tests your skill in deflecting and countering as trying to play too safe and drawing out the fight could be more costly for you. You also get to use the lightning counter during this fight, which is one of my favourite mechanics of the game. The ending execution was very cool to just see this guy welcome his death without hesitation. The OST was very solid here as well, as expected of Yuka Kitamura. 

Overall, I enjoyed every main boss fight in this game, but these were just the two that stood out the most for me.

• Like 1

I’m honestly going to say Orin of the Water was probably my favorite. Her movement was so fluid and honestly beautiful to watch, on top of that slow sad music.

If I have to pick a main boss, it would be Genichiro Ashina. Simply because it was a special moment for me in the game where the mechanics finally clicked and I had this feeling of “okay I’ve got this now”.

• Like 1

Owl 1.0. close followed by Sword Saint Isshin. 

Owl was all about learning the patterns and patience, no running around/away, keep deflecting and get 1 or 2 hits on him. He prepared me for the rest of my platthrough. 

Isshin simply because he was a tough and satisfying endboss. Kept me busy for around 3 hours. I loved to learn all the patterns and seeing myself getting better and better. 

Edited by Mori

1 hour ago, Skurkitty said:

I’m honestly going to say Orin of the Water was probably my favorite. Her movement was so fluid and honestly beautiful to watch, on top of that slow sad music.

If I have to pick a main boss, it would be Genichiro Ashina. Simply because it was a special moment for me in the game where the mechanics finally clicked and I had this feeling of “okay I’ve got this now”.

Ya Orin was pretty sick,  reminded me a lot of the Boreal Valley Dancer from DS3 but a mini form,  which was also the reason I found her very irritating,  Both the Dancer and Orin gave me troubles because I found it hard to read their movement correctly.

Guardian Ape and Sword Saint. 

Ape was the first big boss you fight and was a very nice change from humans (with the exception of the bull), and at the headless part was like "wtf!". At first I was dying quite often but I wasn't getting pissed, still enjoyed the fight.

Sword Saint has a great setting, it's long and you basically have to use everything you learned during the game.

• Like 1

I kinda gave up on the game as I'm still acting and playing as if its bloodborne like, even with occasional parry/blocking... but reading some people say the mechanics finally "clicked" at Genchiro Ashina, should I continue?

even with using poison tool, i am stuck at Lady Butterfly (I hate her but so cool lol), Purple sword ninja guy, and Ashina Elite (tried using poison, idk why but hes giving me tons of trouble)

8 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

I kinda gave up on the game as I'm still acting and playing as if its bloodborne like, even with occasional parry/blocking... but reading some people say the mechanics finally "clicked" at Genchiro Ashina, should I continue?

even with using poison tool, i am stuck at Lady Butterfly (I hate her but so cool lol), Purple sword ninja guy, and Ashina Elite (tried using poison, idk why but hes giving me tons of trouble)

Yes, don't give up!

The Lady Butterfly you can dodge -> 1 attack -> dodge -> 1 attack -> ... It's a cheesy way but should work. Otherwise do it later, when you will be able to bring her posture down normally.

The purple ninja is not mandatory. Is it the one in the secret passage next to the river? (I think it's the only one you can fight at that time) You can skip it and just enter the building.

For the Ashina Elite you must learn perfect parries, since you take damage with normal ones. Do you have the fan prosthetic arm? It's great for that fight, since you won't take any damage if you parry with it.

Honestly, the whole game is amazing. Fights actually give some tension and want you to adjust to enemy's moves. I remember fighting Abyss Watchers in DS3, I just R1'ed him to death on my first try. You see this epic second phase transition and... R1-R1-R1 he is dead. Because poise doesn't seen to exist for the most enemies there.

If I were to pick, it probably would be both Owl fights and Sword Saint. The only boss I didn't really liked is the Demon of Hatred. I'm glad that whistle exists. I hope DLC will bring more cool humanoid-like enemies with great movesets. I just don't like to tickle some giant's heels with my weapons. 

Also I really enjoyed cinematic "bed of chaos/ancient wyvern analogue" in this game. 

Edited by Akrioz
  • Like 1

Got trophy for defeating all bosses, so I can finally, definitely say: Owl at Hirata Estate is the best fight in Sekiro. First few tries you feel like you hit a brick wall and there's no chance of beating this guy. But slowly you start figuring this all out and making progress. Suddenly the first phase is down till the last bit, you don't really need estus flask anymore. I actually was so hyped when the tables turned and I became the guy dominating this fight, I would say to my tv "what's going on owl, you're becoming slower and slower, tired already?" as trash talk! When you finally kill this guy it's just the best feeling in the world. One of the most challenging fight in all FS games.

Additionally two more special fights for me:

1. Lady Butterfly - this was the breakthrough for me in Sekiro. Before this boss I could not really get the hang of the new mechanics and I did not really have that much fun with the game. This is where it all clicked and I knew I'd go for the platinum.

2. Demon of Hatred - this is a boss straight from Bloodborne, need I say more? It was like a special crossover event for me.

BONUS: Worst fight in the entire game has to be Ape for me. I realized on my NG+ run this is the only moment in the entire game that I'm not having even a shred of fun. The moveset is uninteresting/annoying, the grabs are just cheap, it was a chore to do this fight again on the new run. The entire atmosphere of this thing  - shit thrown at you, poisonous farts - it's just not my thing.

• Like 1

I thought that I was the odd one out saying Guardian Ape was my favorite boss but reading comments here it appears everyone thought so too. It's just such a cool concept, plus the fact that you cut off his head and think you win to having him just get up and keep on fighting with his head on his hand. PERFECTION.

Shoutout to Owl at Hirata Estate, what an amazing fight. He kicked my ass like 25 times till i got good. One of my favorite gaming moments of this generation was beating him at 2 am after 2 hours of losing.

• Like 1

Just now, linkdevivo said:

I thought that I was the odd one out saying Guardian Ape was my favorite boss but reading comments here it appears everyone thought so too. It's just such a cool concept, plus the fact that you cut off his head and think you win to having him just get up and keep on fighting with his head on his hand. PERFECTION.

Shoutout to Owl at Hirata Estate, what an amazing fight. He kicked my ass like 25 times till i got good. One of my favorite gaming moments of this generation was beating him at 2 am after 2 hours of losing.

My secret to Owl and the Shura ending bosses was play them until getting pissed off and then take a shower,  ended up getting both after taking a shower and calming down haha.

• Like 1

My favorite was probably the True Corrupted Monk. I feel like after getting my ass handed to me over and over by the first couple of bosses, it was a nice change to be able to take one down in 1-2 try. The move set was easy to learn but hard to master perfect parries, and the bridge you fight it on was beautiful. I also thought it was cool that you can take down one of the health bars while the shadows are attacking (and a second if you get there quick enough, helped on NG+). 

22 hours ago, nudoetcrudo said:

Yes, don't give up!

The Lady Butterfly you can dodge -> 1 attack -> dodge -> 1 attack -> ... It's a cheesy way but should work. Otherwise do it later, when you will be able to bring her posture down normally.

The purple ninja is not mandatory. Is it the one in the secret passage next to the river? (I think it's the only one you can fight at that time) You can skip it and just enter the building.

For the Ashina Elite you must learn perfect parries, since you take damage with normal ones. Do you have the fan prosthetic arm? It's great for that fight, since you won't take any damage if you parry with it.

I do not have the fan. my prosthetics are spear/fire flame/poison sword/shuriken/firecrackers/spinning shuriken. must have missed the fan.

and the purple ninja is the one under the Ashina outskirts I believe. there is an old man outside a entrance. if I go up a hill I can drop down and stealth 1 bar of health from the ninja. he has 1 more. the fight sucks cause it's such a tight spot. and really close quarters so when he does his flip kicks the camera goes wonky. haha

1 hour ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

I do not have the fan. my prosthetics are spear/fire flame/poison sword/shuriken/firecrackers/spinning shuriken. must have missed the fan.

and the purple ninja is the one under the Ashina outskirts I believe. there is an old man outside a entrance. if I go up a hill I can drop down and stealth 1 bar of health from the ninja. he has 1 more. the fight sucks cause it's such a tight spot. and really close quarters so when he does his flip kicks the camera goes wonky. haha

Oh yeah, that ninja with that AWFUL camera. (It's in Ashina Reservoir btw, in the same well you were trapped at the beginning of the game). You can use the same strategy I suggested for Lady Butterfly based on dodging.

The fan is great, I would say the best tool for me. You can find in the fort in the Sunken Valley, where you are supposed to go there later in the game. This is out you get it (you'll have to defeat a mini-boss, but it's one of the easiest in the game).

Anyway, also the Ashina Elite is optional, it is possible to reach the rooftops without going through his chamber.

Good luck!

• Like 1

My favorite boss has to be Sword Saint Isshina. It's overwhelming at first but once you figure out what he can do and how to counter, it becomes an epic and intense battle. Just beat him again on NG+ and I feel as proud of myself as I did the first time I beat him. What a game. 

Guardian Ape is probably second especially with that second phase that nobody saw coming. 

Edited by Killbomb

SS Isshin Ashina, probably the best final boss fight in entire Soulsborne universe for me.

A fight where you really need to master fight mechanic in this game.

Took me almost 2 hours to beat him, i made a video when i finally beat him.

Its not a great run, but im satisfyed.

• Like 1