What Platinum trophy broke you and why ?

ajkungfu

I'm missing 6:

Wolf2: bullshit difficulty.

Gwent: bullshit luck.

FFXIII: trash game and can't be arsed. 

FFXIII-2: same as above.

BC1: bullshit grind.

GR FS: bullshit glitches.

And the games that are not 100% are because they have trophies that are a mix of the above.  The others cuz I don't have a PS3 anymore and can't do them (GTAV, CY3, etc).

Edited by Vizard-Ichigo--

3 hours ago, freaky_45 said:

Far Cry 2 platinum. Because of that I refuse to play any grindy game ever. If it's more than 50 hours, I'm out. 

I know that feeling. Had 2 of the sp trophs glitch and could not face playing the whole thing over again. Gave up on the ridiculous requirements for the mp stuff too

I love Far Cry but for me FC2 is a stain on the franchise 

Gran Turismo 5, the Vettel Challenges just couldn't do them tried and tried over a period of time even returned to them later a few times but nailing 2 laps in a row of which 2/3 tracks I did not favour was just beyond me.

That's probably the only one others I get or I know going in I'm unlikely/unable to get.

I ended up getting it in the long run but Digimon Alll-Star Rumble came close to breaking me mentally. 

Was down to the last digicard I needed, got most of the games trophies in November, finally got the last card I needed the next year in July. Playing the same levels over and over again with Wormmon as he slowly hopped along the levels to get to the last stage where the card had a random chance of being... I sometimes still see him hopping along when I close my eyes....

• Like 1

PES 2018 with its infamous Legendary Streak trophy.

Basically you need to win 2 games in a row against the COM using your custom made team on the hardest level. After getting to the Legend level (this itself took me about 20 hours) I won the first game 4:0 which made me think it won't be that tough after all. How wrong was I... Lost the next game and the next one and the next one and so on... I believe I've lost about 15 games in a row and I finally end up starting almost from the beginning (losing 2 games in a row relegates you by a one level if I remember correctly). This is where I uninstalled PES from the hard drive for the sake of my mental health.

• Like 1

I usually abandon games not fun enough to plat, but the closest to term "I really want this plat, but I can't" is The Bit.Trip, especially "BEAT.COMPLETE" trophy. I just can't beat this damn Pong boss, neither on Vita nor PS4. These controls just broke me, and every time you die you have to restart the whole level which takes about 7 minutes to beat again.

• Like 1

The closest a platinum has come to "breaking" me would definitely be ModNation Racers. Wall of text ahead.

Spoiler

My view of trophy lists has generally been that they constituted the developer's idea of the complete experience, with platinum meaning "I enjoyed this game enough to do pretty much everything it had to offer." While my view has become more nuanced since then, when ModNation came out, I was still practically a child. Even though I only casually trophy hunted at the time, the plat's requirements turned me off of the game not long after I finished all the campaign trophies. Being the young scrub I was, it felt so insurmountable that having the plat in the back of my mind kinda sucked the joy out of trying to be creative, even though I greatly enjoyed the game and its creation tools otherwise.

I ended up going several years without playing ModNation, the majority of its lifespan, only coming back to it after I found this site and heard about the imminent server shutdown. I had a lot of fun trying to legitimately work towards milestones and also teaming up with other trophy hunters to boost, but the feeling gradually became more bitter than sweet, as I realized just how much I missed out on by shelving the game for so long. Between the things I was going through irl and how coming back to this game really set in how dreadful the passage of time can be, working on ModNation's plat took more of a toll on me than I'd care to admit.

It truly felt like a low point when I resorted to making dummy accounts just to download all my garbage placeholder creations, with more and more upload slots gradually moving into limbo (before they patched it) as I went through cycles of taking things down and reuploading. I was no longer playing a game I enjoyed and trying to overcome its challenges, nor was I satiating my creative drive, instead it became a meticulous time consuming chore. Had I consistently played the game over those years, it wouldn't have been so bad.

PSNProfiles gave me a reason to get back into ModNation, and in the process I met some pretty cool people, though I feel like I ended up letting many of them down. There was a stretch of time where I ran the main MNR session lobby, but ended up becoming withdrawn and not being as on point as I should've been coordinating it, effectively just gathering people without doing my part to make sure we all got the most out of it. When I was using my dummy accounts, I did download the other session members' creations while I was at it, but I still feel like I could've done better about communicating what I was doing so everyone could cycle their creations out and get more mileage from it. This thought still gives me minor pangs of guilt for how I may have inadvertently damaged their efforts through my depressive BS.

In summation, I let ModNation's platinum overshadow and taint my experience of the game more than I should've. Seeing it at the top of my rarest trophies list still invokes a strange mix of feelings, both pleasant and unpleasant, but overall it did a lot to make me reconsider my priorities and motivations for trophy hunting.

On a lighter note, I'll give Darksiders 2 a special mention, not so much for "breaking" me but for giving me a massive groan. I picked DS2 up secondhand before the item trade servers shutdown, so if I had bought the Crucible pass with it (when I semi-regularly had money for such things) and sent someone an item, the platinum would be attainable for me; but I didn't, and still haven't, so no dice there. It's a little annoying to have that plat just barely out of reach when I've come to like DS2 so much, but at least if/when I get my hands on a PS4, I have an excuse to eventually grab the Deathinitive edition and give it another couple playthroughs. So... silver linings?

Edited by GR1Mshadow

4 hours ago, NekoRave said:

Got the fucking Platinum holy garbage shit.

400 hours

It's over Orcs Unchained

I have the high ground

You have my upmost respect. Congratulations man. I've done some pretty bad grinds in my day.....but f#%k that.

Devil May Cry 4 SE or Twisted Metal. Those are 2 platinum that made me questioned why did I even go for them. So much time spent on earning S ranks on DMC4 SE and just the Online for Twisted Metal which was so buggy that sometimes trophies will pop when you reach the requirement and then there are times where it doesn't want to and soi had to do the requirements again. Never will I put myself through that again.

6 hours ago, Rui_One_544 said:

For me, it was a Platinum that I didn't get that "broke" me. Game in question is Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 for the PS3. So here's the story, kind of hilarious and sad altogether now that I think back on it (though at the time it was only sad):

So there I was trophy hunting yet another game as usual, and having some good time with Lego Harry Potter ( had always been a fan of both Lego and HP ). When I was almost done with it and the only thing left for the 100% was to colect some sort of special brick or whatever and to buy the last characters, something happens in the game that makes me plug in my second controller. (for those who don't know, lego games are always played with 2 characters, one being yours and the other one controlled by either AI or co-op with a second controller).

For some reason, the AI goes full retard in some level and gets stuck, making it impossible to move forward. Then, I just said "f*ck it lmao I'll just plug the another controller and be done with this, what's the worse that could happen". Then I easily got the retard character unstuck and proceeded. Thing is that , instead of unplugging the controller I just plugged in, I just continued playing with it and unplugged the first controller. Then I proceeded to finish whatever I had left to do with the second controller, including buying the characters. Turns out this game is massively trophy-glitched when it comes to being played co-op, and some trophies are locked out when the requirements for them are met with a second controller. Furthermore, it automatically saves whenever you get something new (such as unlocking new characters, for example). So, after going character shopping with the second controller:

Expected Final Result: I would get the trophies for unlocking all variations of Voldemort and 100% completion, with only 1 trophy left for the Plat that involved doing some killing with the newly unlocked Voldemort.

Actual Final Result: Me waiting almost 5 minutes for those trophies to pop, only to realize that something was wrong and I had wasted almost 30 hours of my life on a plat I probably wouldn't get, and an incredible wave of desperation and sadness growing inside.

There wasn't even a chance to reload a save or anything to try and get it again, because it automatically saved when I bought the last character. The trophy for 100% Completion would eventually unlock after some running around, but never the "Buy All Variations of Voldemort" one. I hoped that it would unlock when I did the last trophy that involved using Avada Kedavra with Voldemort, but it didn't.

So in the end, I had 98% of the trophies, with only that little glitched bronze f*uck left to unlock. The only chance to unlock it again would be to complete the game all over again and waste another 30 hours, because Voldemort only becomes available to buy when pretty much everything else is unlocked/completed.

From that day, I promise I would never touch a Lego game again. Never again.

Very similar thing happened to me when trying to get the 100% compilation trophies for RAGE and Mad max. Both games glitched the last collectibles and completely f#%ked my saves. 

7 hours ago, Rui_One_544 said:

For me, it was a Platinum that I didn't get that "broke" me. Game in question is Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 for the PS3. So here's the story, kind of hilarious and sad altogether now that I think back on it (though at the time it was only sad):

So there I was trophy hunting yet another game as usual, and having some good time with Lego Harry Potter ( had always been a fan of both Lego and HP ). When I was almost done with it and the only thing left for the 100% was to colect some sort of special brick or whatever and to buy the last characters, something happens in the game that makes me plug in my second controller. (for those who don't know, lego games are always played with 2 characters, one being yours and the other one controlled by either AI or co-op with a second controller).

For some reason, the AI goes full retard in some level and gets stuck, making it impossible to move forward. Then, I just said "f*ck it lmao I'll just plug the another controller and be done with this, what's the worse that could happen". Then I easily got the retard character unstuck and proceeded. Thing is that , instead of unplugging the controller I just plugged in, I just continued playing with it and unplugged the first controller. Then I proceeded to finish whatever I had left to do with the second controller, including buying the characters. Turns out this game is massively trophy-glitched when it comes to being played co-op, and some trophies are locked out when the requirements for them are met with a second controller. Furthermore, it automatically saves whenever you get something new (such as unlocking new characters, for example). So, after going character shopping with the second controller:

Expected Final Result: I would get the trophies for unlocking all variations of Voldemort and 100% completion, with only 1 trophy left for the Plat that involved doing some killing with the newly unlocked Voldemort.

Actual Final Result: Me waiting almost 5 minutes for those trophies to pop, only to realize that something was wrong and I had wasted almost 30 hours of my life on a plat I probably wouldn't get, and an incredible wave of desperation and sadness growing inside.

There wasn't even a chance to reload a save or anything to try and get it again, because it automatically saved when I bought the last character. The trophy for 100% Completion would eventually unlock after some running around, but never the "Buy All Variations of Voldemort" one. I hoped that it would unlock when I did the last trophy that involved using Avada Kedavra with Voldemort, but it didn't.

So in the end, I had 98% of the trophies, with only that little glitched bronze f*uck left to unlock. The only chance to unlock it again would be to complete the game all over again and waste another 30 hours, because Voldemort only becomes available to buy when pretty much everything else is unlocked/completed.

From that day, I promise I would never touch a Lego game again. Never again.

...do you work in the software industry? possibly QA?

Edited by danceswithsloths

Hollow Knight. Nightmare King Grimm was enough to make me give up. Didn't even bother with the Godmaster stuff... I would've gone completely insane. Also, not platinums, but Dishonored's Trials of Dunwall and Uncharted 4's Survival Mode are also something I gave up on.

Edited by Sneezin--
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Aceboy9 said:

Red Dead 2 broke me, probably took 400 hours to get that platinum. Towards the end of my journey I began questioning my life and hobby of trophy collecting. I turned down social outings to stay inside and wander around in a virtual world for hours on end to find a god damn songbird I had to study and for what? A virtual trophy that means nothing? That game made me think, as I had plenty of time to playing that game. I loved the game and story but  I quickly realized it would be my longest platinum yet. In the end it’s nice to look back and see it’s my rarest trophy and my 50th platinum but I lost a part of myself during the process. 

As someone who has platinumed rdr2, I definitely feel your pain on this one. Like when trying to find a virtual Beaver gives me an existential crisis i think its time to take a break.

• Like 3

If a platinum trophy would ever break me, I think I'd lose the joy of pursuing them and I'd quit getting them altogether. So, so far I haven't encountered a platinum trophy that sapped the life completely out of me.

However, there are a few which took a lot of perseverance.

The first one being PayDay 2: Crimewave Edition. I started working on this one pretty late (I got the platinum trophy back in January 2018, I believe), so I had to deal with the free DLC heists as well. And the platinum trophy requires you to finish all of the heists on the Hard, Very Hard, OVERKILL and Deathwish difficulties. Difficulties don't stack, so you really need to finish every heist at least four times fully, including their Pro variants if I remember correctly. That's on top of some of the other tricky trophies, like making the pig drop on a law enforcer during the Big Bank Heist, or completing the Hotline Miami heist with all four members wearing a unique Hotline Miami mask. The road to this platinum trophy was very, very long. But I am glad I conquered it in the end.

The second one: Fallout 76. I don't think this one needs a lot of explanation. By the time I finished most of the quests - which are pretty damn boring to begin with - I was not close to reaching level 100, which was the last milestone I needed to hit to unlock the platinum trophy. So I just kept on grinding and grinding like a mindless puppet for what seemed like the longest time to hit the triple digits. That particular trophy seems to have been bugged in the past for many people, causing them to have to restart with a new character once the trophy didn't pop for them. My heart goes out to you if you were in this situation. I never want to play this game, ever again.

The third one: Starhawk. Another grindfest that took a lot of devotion. I needed to get 1000 kills, win (not just finish!) 100 multiplayer games, win 100 CTF games, win 100 Zones games, win 100 TDM games, ... Once I got that platinum trophy, it was a matter of seconds for me to quit the game, put the disc in its case and delete that game forever.

I haven't encountered a game yet whose platinum trophy broke me, like I said, but I sense that Red Dead 2 is going to be one of the next ones that will really demand me to give it my all. Because those 70 golden medal missions in singleplayer, and hitting level 50 in multiplayer, sound like a serious endurance test.

Edited by Aponac1987
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, NekoRave said:

The day and time is April 4th 9:41pm.

I have played to this date 394 hours and no platinum for orcs must die! unchained.

The servers close in about 72 hours.

Yep, this game is just hell

That’s why I didn’t bother. I love the game and didn’t want to ruin it with the grind. I did try for a few hours, but it was so dull to play it so mechanically; the same way, Over and over and over... 

i would have loved to plat the game to show how much I loved it. I spent legitimately hundreds of hours just normally playing with all the characters and by the end I got most levels up to Rift Lord done with every character. All traps, most maxed, was only missing a few guardians.

oh well. I don’t think I’ll invest any more energy into online only games. If I do, I’ll probably play them on Steam instead. Just to avoid the trophy disappointment. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, adamale91 said:

PES 2018 with its infamous Legendary Streak trophy.

Basically you need to win 2 games in a row against the COM using your custom made team on the hardest level. After getting to the Legend level (this itself took me about 20 hours) I won the first game 4:0 which made me think it won't be that tough after all. How wrong was I... Lost the next game and the next one and the next one and so on... I believe I've lost about 15 games in a row and I finally end up starting almost from the beginning (losing 2 games in a row relegates you by a one level if I remember correctly). This is where I uninstalled PES from the hard drive for the sake of my mental health.

I played miee than 200 games to have this trophy - i feel u

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag - Grinding up to level 55 in multiplayer in 2-3 days because I was sick of seeing the game as unfinished on my list.

I had such a migraine from doing the Wolfpack missions solo over and over again because that's the best way to get points. When you play with others you doing get as many points because they don't stealth most of the time. ?

I've this game also for the PS3. After that multiplayer....nope never going to touch it.

Also the grind of Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Fortune. I was so bored of anime chicks in bikinis.  ?

Edited by Jamescush147
  • Like 1

Vanquish is probably the closest to breaking me. It was a break more like I acknowledged I suck at shooters and gave up on the challenges. I'm surprised I beat the game on hard tbh.

Musynx might be abandoned too. I have everything besides 122% on one song. I just can't I got like 121.50%~ and felt hopeless. I've been meaning to try to tape a towel over the bottom of the screen to block the "Exact" and visual cues and just focus on the audio cues but I haven't felt like moving my PS4 to my desk yet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Deluziion90 said:

Not really a platinum but rather maintaining 100% on Final Fantasy XV. Fuck that game 

Agreed. I knew it was over when they freaking took comrades out of the main game but left the trophies for it. They don't give even half of a shit.

I understand they wanted to offer Comrades as a separate experience, so you didn't have to buy XV to play it (even though XV was often pretty cheap), but they could have done anything else. Make it to where XV comrades and stand alone comrades work together. Make it to where the trophies transfer and disappear from the main game. Make it to where the main game's version stays active. 

They chose the worst option.

• Like 2