What Platinum trophy broke you and why ?

ajkungfu

I wouldn't say that it "broke" me, but Skyrim. Yes, Skyrim's platinum it's not hard all things considered, but it takes a long time to get there if you want, not only the platinum, but to 100% the trophy section with the DLC.

The journey was made longer because I'm a stubborn dum-dum and refuse to make multiple saves, so whenever I got very far in the many quests the game offers and achieved a high level in order to trigger certain events (those damn legendary dragons that you need to be lvl 78 for them to spawn) only for a severe bug to pop, soft-locking all my progress and making that character's only save file absolutely useless (like Serana stuck behind a wall and the game being unable to continue on), having to restart multiple times (I swear I can narrate the whole game intro in Helgen by heart) until I got the 100%. It was painful, I'll admit I used exploits with telekinesis, a bucket and fast travel to boost to lvl 80 so I could get the last trophies for reaching lvl 50 and killing a legendary dragon but if anything, Skyrim really helped me put things into perpective and realise that future plats I'd go for should be optimized to avoid disasters like the Skyrim situation where I played as an orc, an imperial, a bosmer and a dunmer on different saves only so I could go on without bugs halting my progress. 

Since then, I'd say that Kingdom Hearts Final Mix is the rarest and probably hardest platinum I own but it was the most fulfilling one. I honestly didn't believe in my ability to pull off the "Unchanging armor" trophy nor beat the game in Proud mode, so it felt great seeing that I could, not only achieve it, but also improve in the process, as I was an absolute imbecile in my first playthrough but when I reached the last one on Proud mode I felt like a seasoned veteran, knowing every heartless pattern, weakness and the most optimal routes for everything.

And I wouldn't even dared to tackle 100% KH without the training grounds of Skyrim's 100% requierements. However, Skyrim is also responsible for my fall to darkness as I ended up playing bargain bin games just for trophies, but hey, those easy ones really fill the space between big platinum projects like the whole KH or AC series or those that require online-only trophies if you're a weirdo like that.

• Like 1

Haven’t met that game yet but I’m sure that’ll change soon when I attempt some harder ones such as dariusburst, I am bread and bleed. Only game that pissed me off was jotun and that’s because rng was constantly fucking me over. 

Edited by NaseemJohn

I don't really have a story to tell. Some platinums I've gotten have been tricky (where once I accomplished them I legit jumped out of my chair and fist-pumped) but nothing I've ever spent days on end attempting. I DO have a trophy like this though. MLB The Show: 16 - (Legendary) - Reach Legend difficulty in Challenge of the Week. Basically, you have to consistently get a consecutive number of hits in a row (12 being the total for this trophy). What made the trophy so tricky is if you struckout, your counter reset to rookie difficulty nullifying your progress. I remember going in for 3 weeks trying to get it and being unable to, and then finally with Yoenis Cespedes vs Adam Wainwright I got it on a Monday on my 1st attempt. 3.21% ultra rare gold trophy. Too bad the platinum is impossible for me since there's one with 0.19% rarity where you have to win 20 of 21 online MLB games. That is not an exaggeration.  

• Like 2

Steins;Gate came closest for me. Which probably seems pretty silly, since the game isn't difficult. But it does have multiple endings, which almost screwed me over.

Steins;Gate has six different endings, and each ending has an associated trophy. There's also an additional trophy called "All Worldlines Complete" for completing all six endings. I was playing through the game, reaching each of the endings, the trophies were popping accordingly, no sweat. After completing the sixth ending (the "true" ending), the trophy for that ending popped, and I thought "Great, that's the last one!" 15 seconds passed, then 30, and then the realization set in that All Worldlines Complete wasn't going to pop. What the hell? I had the individual trophies for all six endings, but the trophy for completing all six endings wasn't popping.

The game has an in-game feature which tracks percentages towards trophy progression. I checked that and saw that for some reason I was only getting credit for four of the six endings, even though I had all the trophies. Worse yet, I didn't know which endings hadn't been counted. I thought the game had glitched on me and I was just screwed. So I used chapter select and tried blazing through the endings again until All Worldlines Complete finally popped. I still don't understand how the hell that happened, but at least I was able to fix it in the end. It had me demoralized for a bit though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jamescush147 said:

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag - Grinding up to level 55 in multiplayer in 2-3 days because I was sick of seeing the game as unfinished on my list.

I had such a migraine from doing the Wolfpack missions solo over and over again because that's the best way to get points. When you play with others you doing get as many points because they don't stealth most of the time. 1f644.png

I've this game also for the PS3. After that multiplayer....nope never going to touch it.

The stupid Game Lab trophy deserves a mention. I need to get Black Flag done at some point.

1 hour ago, Jamescush147 said:

Yeah no one uses it. I got it because I finally found a group right before it ended. Got the trophy for 5 seconds of play. 1f605.png

I'm probably going to have to boost the goddamn trophy, and Game Lab requires four people.

Use Your Words. You have to play 1999 minigames for one of the trophies. A full game takes maybe 10-15 minutes and includes 7 minigames. That's a total of 286 full games, so you're looking at a rough average of 60 or so hours. That's ludicrous for most anything outside of an RPG, let alone a party game like this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ARH65512 said:

3. 70 Gold Medals- Like most people, I had to replay the entire game because playing replay just nerfs your shit. I didn't know that when I was still playing. I thought it was like GTA 5 where you can keep your items and weapons, but nope, they decided to take a backwards route. Not to mention it had to be done in one run. I made sure my Arthur was super powerful with level 4 bonded horse and bunch of dead eye tonics as well as other tonics EXCEPT for health since most missions require not to using any health items so it was unnecessary. I hated that mission where you, Dutch, and Micah had to run to the horses in a specific amount of time. It took me like 10-20 tries, because not only you have to speed it up, but you also have to make sure not just yourself, but Micah and Dutch not die. Fucking pain in the ass. I can't imagine how replay is. Then there's some missions that aren't worth going for gold, not because they're hard, but because some of those have those long unstoppable conversations between two characters. Case in point: 90% of the mission where you follow Rain Falls is...well a conversation between Arthur and Rain Falls. That's it. The requirements is at the end and it's a pain having to sit through that just to get the end game objectives. 

Also, you could in theory, get the golds during the first playthrough but it could spoil the good story. 

I did mission replay after the story without restarting and it was hell on earth. I didn’t want to play through the game again because that would have taken too long but maybe not after the experience I had. Some missions were nearly impossible to complete because it asks for ridiculous requirements. Also the mission completion time isn’t very flexible in a lot of missions. I think it took me a month to get 70 gold medals, my hatred for this game was at a all time high at this point. I remember the mission where you rob the train with Sean, John, and Charles and one of the requirements is to get 10 headshots in dead eye but stock dead eye is so low and the few enemies in this mission make it impossible. I replayed this mission 5 times trying to get it until I realized it was a waste. 

Orcs Must Die! Unchained. Empty Pockets... when I found out the game was shutting down I grinded 1-2% a day. Pure misery... I got it done and I will never play a game by that developer again... congrats to anyone that has gotten this, it was a mind numbingly painful trophy.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Synthetika said:

Orcs Must Die! Unchained. Empty Pockets... when I found out the game was shutting down I grinded 1-2% a day. Pure misery... I got it done and I will never play a game by that developer again... congrats to anyone that has gotten this, it was a mind numbingly painful trophy.

Did it twice ;) still not that bad I don't think.

I think so far Elder Scrolls online is giving me a run for my money. So much PvP I just don't want to do. I still don't have the plat and looking at it makes me just play it slow

• Like 1

I know this is the opposite of what you're asking, but The Evil Within felt like it limit broke me. There are harder trophies out there, but this one was one that I did not see myself being able to do, and then I somehow did it. Ever since that fateful day, nothing seems impossible anymore. I went on to plat UMvC3 after that; a trophy I'd argue is much harder, but more importantly, one I would never even have considered dreaming of getting before The Evil Within.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Legend of Korra.

Beating the Naga chase on hard mode...

Then trying to do the sports game after that...

I still don't have Platinum and I refuse to go back because the nightmares of air bending arena.

Also Dokuro, had to beat every boss without dying, gave up because screw that.

Then years later I come back, do all levels and use level skips on the boss fights and that let me get the trophy

Edited by aZombieDictator
  • Like 2

I would say the most painful plat for me was F1 2017.

The grind to multiplayer level 50 ... i hated it.

Drive slow and don´t get punted off track, but gain less experience.

Drive your normal pace and get punted off every other race til you loose the patience to drive online.

I´m so glad that you can do the level grind now in private races with friends.

Getting the safety ranking in ranked shouldn´t be that hard, I´ll just drive lonely in last place xD

• Like 1