What Platinum trophy broke you and why ?

ajkungfu

Titan Souls

It's basically an indie game where you fight just bosses. The game was on PS+ Plus a few years ago which explains the number of game owners it has, but at the time I wasn't interested in picking this up and moved to other games.

I bought this game last week thinking it was going to be a difficult but satisfying experience. This is more annoying and infuriating, one of the most infuriating games I've played for trophies.

You're some kid with just an arrow. That's your entire weapon for the game. Shooting the arrows means you can retrieve it back by holding the Square button, which is absolutely necessary for one particular boss and one trophy.

Over 600 - 700 deaths later I am at the last boss before the platinum and it is killing me. Instead of making a wall of text I'll just link you the YouTube video...

In short, The Soul is basically a boss that mimics your movement. Problem is timing is so essential I literally had to watch two - three different videos to get even a fucking clue what I was supposed to do.

This game is a frustrating experience with a difficult trophy list. It requires you to beat the game in No Roll Mode, Hard Mode, Hard Mode with Iron Mode, and beating all Titans in Iron Mode. Iron Mode for those who don't know is a mode that gives you one life. If you die, it's back to the very beginning. Doesn't matter whether you're at the initial four bosses or the very last boss in the game, you're sent to the beginning.

I have downloaded my save from the cloud probably 200 - 300+ times because of fucking Iron Mode. Eventually I gave up and just use a USB stick because it transfers my save a little quicker.

Watching some gameplay videos gives you a good idea of how difficult this game is. In addition Hard Mode makes every boss a lot quicker and more difficult, with a few having addition moves to what they had in Normal difficulty.

Fuck this game. Never going to touch it again after I get the platinum.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

1. Monster Hunter World

-Huge RNG grind and many hours reloading maps. Caused me to have MHW dreams every night for weeks about catching monsters, got burnt out after completion and didn't play PS4 for 2 weeks

2. Red Dead Redemption 2

-Just time consuming and doing dumb stuff, game requires you to basically do everything in the single player game. Then online was like 30h of grinding the same map together with a friend, repeating same shit forever just for xp. Took a break in playing PS4 after this

Got #1 in my country and #13 world

Edited by Erkawest
  • Like 1

Rocksmith 2014

Those 500 mission to complete were a huge pain, there is no way to know how many missions you complete (no tracking feature unfortunately) so I just kept playing hoping that at some point that cursed trophy would have popped.

• Like 3

Outlast 2. I loved the first game, but I don't find this one particularly entertaining. It's incredibly well made, and the story is good and so on, but it's just not a fun game. And completing Insane mode is definitely not fun. I've mad at least 20 attempts, and I usually get 1 hour or 1½ hours through the game, before I either screw up, or get screwed in areas I usually master without any problems. Especially the part with the giant and the midget, where 9/10 times I get through it, and then there's the 1/10 time I randomly get hit by an instant death arrow, despite doing exactly the same as I always do. 1½ hour wasted. 

So at this point, I don't get scared, I don't enjoy the atmosphere, and I'm not having fun. So I've put it away until I somehow find the courage to try again, or just simply want to play the game again. 

• Like 4

I would have to say Final Fantasy 9, its a great game, but good lord you basically have to play a perfect game or else you start again if you don't have multiple saves. Sometimes you wont even realise you missed something until its waay to late, there are so many events, items, situation and time sensitive things that if you miss, you are done. 

One trophy absolutely broke me and that's the Hail to the king trophy, god damn if it affected my health in some way i wouldn't be surprised. Spent around 14 hours getting that one trophy. Granted a lot of people used some auto key thing to get it, but it never worked for me. 

Overall had to play the game 3 times over because of something that was easily missed. I don't think you can plat this game without a guide, unless you know the game inside and out. 

Other games i felt that almost broke me are :

Resistance 2

Metal Gear Solid 4

Cod World at War

Kane and Lynch

Edited by VaNiDgE
  • Like 4

Starwhal.

I don't feel that the game itself, while more challenging than the average games I play, was overly difficult enough for me to give up on. But difficulty is not exactly what broke me. For whatever reason (most likely the prevalent bright neon colors) I just couldn't stand playing it for more than an hour at a time without my eyeballs throbbing like something was wrong.

Eventually I just had to give up on it for now because my eyes couldn't take it any more. Maybe I'll come back to finishing the rest of the 8 or so challenges I have left but that won't be for a very long time I feel.

• Like 3

On 28-4-2019 at 0:57 PM, Erkawest said:

1. Monster Hunter World

-Huge RNG grind and many hours reloading maps. Caused me to have MHW dreams every night for weeks about catching monsters, got burnt out after completion and didn't play PS4 for 2 weeks

2. Red Dead Redemption 2

-Just time consuming and doing dumb stuff, game requires you to basically do everything in the single player game. Then online was like 30h of grinding the same map together with a friend, repeating same shit forever just for xp. Took a break in playing PS4 after this

Got #1 in my country and #13 world

yeah i feel ur pain on monster hunter i took a break after the plat as well

koolskamp.png

Edited by koolskamp

I wouldn't quite say it broke me but getting the plat for Secret of Mana was an awful experience.  The game isn't at all hard, but the constant crashing wears on you.  I eventually took a nearly month long break from gaming because of this piece of crap software.  It was not fun in the end.

• Like 1

Assassins Creed III has a rather convoluted way of going about things.

I already know going for 100 percent in this game will be a pain in the ass.

Many of the main missions have at least 2 - 3 optional objectives which unless you've played through this game before, you will not get on your first try. If worst comes to worst I will just watch YouTube videos of somebody playing through the missions step-by-step to avoid frustration.

The Naval missions as well as other side missions also have their own optional objectives. All of these must be met to get the Completionist trophy.

You have to analyze at least three actions from your Artisans at the Homestead region to get one trophy. Get all the upgrades for your ship, open all Fast Travel locations in New York and Boston, go after no less than three different types of collectibles, open all Treasure Chests, liberate all Templar Forts, get all Assassin Recruits to Assassin Rank, craft all of Franklin's inventions, pretty much everything short of buying micro transactions. In addition I have to find all Pivots and sync the Animus to the Cloud.

This is pretty much why I only play an Assassins Creed game once every several months at the least.

Then there's having to fast travel to the end of one map, wait for a loading screen, run a few steps, get a confirmation that I want to go to Boston/New York/Frontier/Homestead, then get another loading screen. Ugh. Why Ubisoft?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 2:11 AM, BHK3 said:

Amplitude.

I like rhythm games, but this has NO practice mode and NO no-fail mode. There's no way for me to get better at certain parts of certain songs other than restarting a million times until I eventually get it. Its the songs that have the ABCBABCBABCBABC type of notes, my brain just cant wrap around how to do those. I tried the mental thing of seperating it into A -BC - A - BC -A - BC but it just doesnt work. I tried the bootleg way of having no fail mode on with multiplayer, but the camera is way zoomed out and not representative of actual gameplay. 

Ive been trying on and off now for months, its just like 3 songs I cant even BEAT consistently...

got the plat btw. best times to get the thing you need is your first few tries on a new fresh day. You wont get it sitting there for hours trying, you gotta give it a few shots then rest and try again the next day. I literally woke up one day and first tried every song I couldnt beat all in a row within 30 minutes.

• Like 1

Alteric: because I don't want to talk about it. ?

Max Payne 3: New York Minute was beyond my skill level.

Dead Space 2: Tried many times for the Hard To The Core trophy when one day I finally had a dream run and had 2 saves up my sleeve and then the game crashed. I fucking lost my shit and vowed to never bother with a perma-death trophy ever again.

Edited by reiner-
  • Like 3

On 4/5/2019 at 8:32 PM, thefourfoldroot said:

Diablo 3. The post game grind was unbelievable. I gave up rather than waste my life.

Fallout 4. Final trophy is to max happiness at a settlement, I'm constantly 1% behind despite resorting to following a guide to the letter. I'm convinced it's bugged on me.

Yakuza. I just can't get the mahjong trophies.

Benevolent Leader
Reach Maximum Happiness in a Large Settlement 
2 years, 8 months, 1 week (+2 years, 5 months, 3 weeks)

I feel your pain! After what felt like days of just trying to get that one trophy alone, I gave up and sold the game the next day because it was/is glitched and the happiness always went down no matter what I did after it reached about 85% or so.

2 years 5 months later I decided to buy it again and try it out. I watched some video on YT showing how to do it, and thankfully it worked and I got it to 100%. 

For me it was Star Ocean: The Last Hope International. I beat that game like 5 times already and no where close to the platinum, all thanks to 1 trophy for earning all 900 battle medals. There are 9 characters in the game and each have 100 battle medals in the game that have to be earned. Some are extremely easy and will come naturally, some are weird but will most likely come at some point, while others are a pain in the you know what. 

The worst ones would be some of the grind ones and the extremely easily missable ones. By grind ones there are a couple characters that have a battle medal for killing like 30,000 enemies. That's a lot of kills that will take a long time to do. Then there are crap shoot ones like Faize having to kill 6 of a particular type of enemy. Doesn't sound bad until you realize that there are only 6 in the entire game, and that they are all bosses, with a few being after long optional quest stuff. And to add salt to the wound, you can only earn battle medals for the character you are controlling for the fight. So any AI kills, assists, or anything at all does not count towards their respected medals. So that kill 30,000 enemies, you have to control that character and get all those kills yourself. And it has to be that character that lands the killing blow, if you wound it and another AI controlled ally kills it, that doesn't count. There is a reason why this game was labeled as a 600+ hour platinum, with some saying it's 800+ hours to get through it all. Might have to do a good 10+ playthroughs so that you can re fight so many bosses that are all required for some battle trophy off another character and so on. Then you know, open every chest in a game 2-3 times, kill every optional boss another good 3-4 times and so on as well, cause each playthrough will also force you to do most of all the side quest stuff every run as well. 

Fun game to play, but anyone that has that platinum, congrats and sorry you lost so much of your life on a single game. 

Honorable mentions would be White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2, those are both other 600 hour platinum that I just said nope to.  

• Like 3

For me its probably going to be Tetris Effect. I say probably because I am still working on it, but I can feel my want to and sanity slipping.  The game is one of those games that have multiple 70-100 hour grinds on top of having a difficulty curve that is ridiculous.  In order to plat the game, you have to spin the tetriminos 1000000 times which if you were doing nothing but constantly spinning the blocks would still take upwards of 50 hours to do.  Collect 100 avatars, though you can probably collect 30 or so by playing the game, most of them have to be gotten in the weekend ritual.  Which is only available on saturdays and only for specific modes.  Completing a mode on the ritual list will give you an avatar at random, which means theoretically this can take forever. Reach Level 100 which is a grind that probably requires 100+ hours by itself but you will probably get naturally because you have will have to get SS rank on every mode in the game.  Some of them are easy, or can be cheesed, but at the end of the day you still have to get dang good at the game to complete the Ultra mode which requires you to either be good at zt stacking or able to get 100 lines in 3 minutes using only tetris and sprint which requires 40 lines in sub 1:10.  I have probably 150 hours in the game and still need to shave my sprint time by 30 seconds. 

• Like 3

On 4/5/2019 at 5:36 AM, coldsphinx93 said:

Yooka-Laylee. I've mentioned this before in a similar thread but it's worth repeating. Good god getting all the collectibles was a pain. The mini games were annoying and I think they were my main issue. It's been a while since I played so I can't remember details of why I hated it so much as my brain is helpfully blocking the worst bits but everytime I see the game it's like I have PTSD and can't let it go without telling everyone in the room how much trouble I had with it.

There was a nasty glitch that stopped u getting a trophy. I started the game again to speed through it twice but never worked. They eventually patched it which was nice. Which never happened to mad maxs terrible scrap gitch

Ac origins was a pain to get all locations epecially trying to find them all in that awfull yellow background but it was a brilliant game so ill let them off

Edited by dannyswfc9
  • Like 1

In terms of displeasure of digging for a platinum Resident Evil 6 easily takes the cake way above such straightforward PoS like Aliens: CM or Operation Raccoon City. What differentiates it from these is it wasn't enjoyable in co-op whatsoever and while being a fan of the series in general I'll never gonna touch this crap again.

Edited by VegaMan-X4

EA Sports MMA, due to the online grind. I bought the game on opening day and played it pretty relentlessly, meaning that nobody really knew how long the Master Red Belt would take at the start. By the time I had 1,000 fights in, the math became more clear that it would take some 5,000 fights, based on my win percentage. I would play the game for a few weeks on and off, and did this for well over a year, thinking there was little to no chance to platinum the game before EA inevitably closed the servers. Fortunately, they held a 10X XP event at some point, and I hit it extremely hard in order to platinum the game. Believe it took my about 3700 fights. Servers were closed within the next four months or so, IIRC. There’s a reason that was the first trophy I added to my cabinet! 

Edited by PFinchen
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, dannyswfc9 said:

There was a nasty glitch that stopped u getting a trophy. I started the game again to speed through it twice but never worked. They eventually patched it which was nice. Which never happened to mad maxs terrible scrap gitch

I heard about that glitch. Luckily it never affected me. Thank god because I don't think I would've kept going with it if it did.

• Like 1