ajkungfu

What Platinum trophy broke you and why ?

131 posts in this topic

Reminds me of Wii Sports. Good casual fun. 

Not a platinum, but Resogun on the PS4 came pretty close to breaking me. A few very difficult DLC trophies probably means I will never 100 percent the game.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I may not of responded to everyone but I definitely read everything you guys posted. 

Posted (edited)

Legend of Korra.

Beating the Naga chase on hard mode...

Then trying to do the sports game after that...

I still don't have Platinum and I refuse to go back because the nightmares of air bending arena.

Also Dokuro, had to beat every boss without dying, gave up because screw that.

Then years later I come back, do all levels and use level skips on the boss fights and that let me get the trophy

Edited by aZombieDictator

I would say the most painful plat for me was F1 2017.

The grind to multiplayer level 50 ... i hated it.

Drive slow and don´t get punted off track, but gain less experience.

Drive your normal pace and get punted off every other race til you loose the patience to drive online.

I´m so glad that you can do the level grind now in private races with friends.

Getting the safety ranking in ranked shouldn´t be that hard, I´ll just drive lonely in last place xD

Ive got 4 unobtainable plats on my account. Out of those 4, i'd say LOTR: Conquest. I really enjoyed the game and I really wish i plat'ed it before the servers went down.

At this moment, no one but i suspect that the Mortal Kombat platinum (PS3) is going to be a massive headache even achieving the online stuff.

Posted (edited)

Titan Souls

It's basically an indie game where you fight just bosses. The game was on PS+ Plus a few years ago which explains the number of game owners it has, but at the time I wasn't interested in picking this up and moved to other games.

I bought this game last week thinking it was going to be a difficult but satisfying experience. This is more annoying and infuriating, one of the most infuriating games I've played for trophies.

You're some kid with just an arrow. That's your entire weapon for the game. Shooting the arrows means you can retrieve it back by holding the Square button, which is absolutely necessary for one particular boss and one trophy.

Over 600 - 700 deaths later I am at the last boss before the platinum and it is killing me. Instead of making a wall of text I'll just link you the YouTube video...

In short, The Soul is basically a boss that mimics your movement. Problem is timing is so essential I literally had to watch two - three different videos to get even a fucking clue what I was supposed to do.

This game is a frustrating experience with a difficult trophy list. It requires you to beat the game in No Roll Mode, Hard Mode, Hard Mode with Iron Mode, and beating all Titans in Iron Mode. Iron Mode for those who don't know is a mode that gives you one life. If you die, it's back to the very beginning. Doesn't matter whether you're at the initial four bosses or the very last boss in the game, you're sent to the beginning.

I have downloaded my save from the cloud probably 200 - 300+ times because of fucking Iron Mode. Eventually I gave up and just use a USB stick because it transfers my save a little quicker.

Watching some gameplay videos gives you a good idea of how difficult this game is. In addition Hard Mode makes every boss a lot quicker and more difficult, with a few having addition moves to what they had in Normal difficulty.

Fuck this game. Never going to touch it again after I get the platinum.

Edited by Spaz

Meat boy, Atari Flashback Classics 3 and Surgeon simulator came pretty close but nothing has really "Broke" me yet.. I'm a bit fortunate in that sense, I'm way too patient for my own good! :D 

Posted (edited)

1. Monster Hunter World

-Huge RNG grind and many hours reloading maps. Caused me to have MHW dreams every night for weeks about catching monsters, got burnt out after completion and didn't play PS4 for 2 weeks

2. Red Dead Redemption 2

-Just time consuming and doing dumb stuff, game requires you to basically do everything in the single player game. Then online was like 30h of grinding the same map together with a friend, repeating same shit forever just for xp. Took a break in playing PS4 after this

Got #1 in my country and #13 world

Edited by Erkawest

Rocksmith 2014

Those 500 mission to complete were a huge pain, there is no way to know how many missions you complete (no tracking feature unfortunately) so I just kept playing hoping that at some point that cursed trophy would have popped.

Well I just got the platinum for Titan Souls.

Just discovered this guy on YouTube and what you see in this video basically describes the pain I had in fighting The Soul...

Outlast 2. I loved the first game, but I don't find this one particularly entertaining. It's incredibly well made, and the story is good and so on, but it's just not a fun game. And completing Insane mode is definitely not fun. I've mad at least 20 attempts, and I usually get 1 hour or 1½ hours through the game, before I either screw up, or get screwed in areas I usually master without any problems. Especially the part with the giant and the midget, where 9/10 times I get through it, and then there's the 1/10 time I randomly get hit by an instant death arrow, despite doing exactly the same as I always do. 1½ hour wasted. 

So at this point, I don't get scared, I don't enjoy the atmosphere, and I'm not having fun. So I've put it away until I somehow find the courage to try again, or just simply want to play the game again. 

COD World at War because of the pain-inducing Veteran difficulty and Black ops 3 because realistic difficulty and decorations dragged on. 

Posted (edited)

I would have to say Final Fantasy 9, its a great game, but good lord you basically have to play a perfect game or else you start again if you don't have multiple saves. Sometimes you wont even realise you missed something until its waay to late, there are so many events, items, situation and time sensitive things that if you miss, you are done. 

One trophy absolutely broke me and that's the Hail to the king trophy, god damn if it affected my health in some way i wouldn't be surprised. Spent around 14 hours getting that one trophy. Granted a lot of people used some auto key thing to get it, but it never worked for me. 

Overall had to play the game 3 times over because of something that was easily missed. I don't think you can plat this game without a guide, unless you know the game inside and out. 

Other games i felt that almost broke me are :

Resistance 2

Metal Gear Solid 4

Cod World at War

Kane and Lynch

Edited by VaNiDgE

Starwhal.

I don't feel that the game itself, while more challenging than the average games I play, was overly difficult enough for me to give up on. But difficulty is not exactly what broke me. For whatever reason (most likely the prevalent bright neon colors) I just couldn't stand playing it for more than an hour at a time without my eyeballs throbbing like something was wrong.

Eventually I just had to give up on it for now because my eyes couldn't take it any more. Maybe I'll come back to finishing the rest of the 8 or so challenges I have left but that won't be for a very long time I feel.

Posted (edited)

On 28-4-2019 at 0:57 PM, Erkawest said:

1. Monster Hunter World

-Huge RNG grind and many hours reloading maps. Caused me to have MHW dreams every night for weeks about catching monsters, got burnt out after completion and didn't play PS4 for 2 weeks

2. Red Dead Redemption 2

-Just time consuming and doing dumb stuff, game requires you to basically do everything in the single player game. Then online was like 30h of grinding the same map together with a friend, repeating same shit forever just for xp. Took a break in playing PS4 after this

Got #1 in my country and #13 world

yeah i feel ur pain on monster hunter i took a break after the plat as well

koolskamp.png

Edited by koolskamp

I wouldn't quite say it broke me but getting the plat for Secret of Mana was an awful experience.  The game isn't at all hard, but the constant crashing wears on you.  I eventually took a nearly month long break from gaming because of this piece of crap software.  It was not fun in the end.

Assassins Creed III has a rather convoluted way of going about things.

I already know going for 100 percent in this game will be a pain in the ass.

Many of the main missions have at least 2 - 3 optional objectives which unless you've played through this game before, you will not get on your first try. If worst comes to worst I will just watch YouTube videos of somebody playing through the missions step-by-step to avoid frustration.

The Naval missions as well as other side missions also have their own optional objectives. All of these must be met to get the Completionist trophy.

You have to analyze at least three actions from your Artisans at the Homestead region to get one trophy. Get all the upgrades for your ship, open all Fast Travel locations in New York and Boston, go after no less than three different types of collectibles, open all Treasure Chests, liberate all Templar Forts, get all Assassin Recruits to Assassin Rank, craft all of Franklin's inventions, pretty much everything short of buying micro transactions. In addition I have to find all Pivots and sync the Animus to the Cloud.

This is pretty much why I only play an Assassins Creed game once every several months at the least.

Then there's having to fast travel to the end of one map, wait for a loading screen, run a few steps, get a confirmation that I want to go to Boston/New York/Frontier/Homestead, then get another loading screen. Ugh. Why Ubisoft?

On 4/5/2019 at 2:11 AM, BHK3 said:

Amplitude.

I like rhythm games, but this has NO practice mode and NO no-fail mode. There's no way for me to get better at certain parts of certain songs other than restarting a million times until I eventually get it. Its the songs that have the ABCBABCBABCBABC type of notes, my brain just cant wrap around how to do those. I tried the mental thing of seperating it into A -BC - A - BC -A - BC but it just doesnt work. I tried the bootleg way of having no fail mode on with multiplayer, but the camera is way zoomed out and not representative of actual gameplay. 

Ive been trying on and off now for months, its just like 3 songs I cant even BEAT consistently...

got the plat btw. best times to get the thing you need is your first few tries on a new fresh day. You wont get it sitting there for hours trying, you gotta give it a few shots then rest and try again the next day. I literally woke up one day and first tried every song I couldnt beat all in a row within 30 minutes.

Final Fantasy Lightning Returns 

TOO many missable trophies and strong bosses 😩 

Posted (edited)

Alteric: because I don't want to talk about it. 😡

Max Payne 3: New York Minute was beyond my skill level.

Dead Space 2: Tried many times for the Hard To The Core trophy when one day I finally had a dream run and had 2 saves up my sleeve and then the game crashed. I fucking lost my shit and vowed to never bother with a perma-death trophy ever again.

Edited by reiner-

On 4/5/2019 at 8:32 PM, thefourfoldroot said:

Diablo 3. The post game grind was unbelievable. I gave up rather than waste my life.

Fallout 4. Final trophy is to max happiness at a settlement, I'm constantly 1% behind despite resorting to following a guide to the letter. I'm convinced it's bugged on me.

Yakuza. I just can't get the mahjong trophies.

Benevolent Leader
Reach Maximum Happiness in a Large Settlement 
2 years, 8 months, 1 week (+2 years, 5 months, 3 weeks)

I feel your pain! After what felt like days of just trying to get that one trophy alone, I gave up and sold the game the next day because it was/is glitched and the happiness always went down no matter what I did after it reached about 85% or so.

2 years 5 months later I decided to buy it again and try it out. I watched some video on YT showing how to do it, and thankfully it worked and I got it to 100%. 

Final Fantasy 9. The jump rope trophy. I can’t get past 50 jumps on my own. I have put in countless hours attempting this trophy. 

For me it was Star Ocean: The Last Hope International. I beat that game like 5 times already and no where close to the platinum, all thanks to 1 trophy for earning all 900 battle medals. There are 9 characters in the game and each have 100 battle medals in the game that have to be earned. Some are extremely easy and will come naturally, some are weird but will most likely come at some point, while others are a pain in the you know what. 

The worst ones would be some of the grind ones and the extremely easily missable ones. By grind ones there are a couple characters that have a battle medal for killing like 30,000 enemies. That's a lot of kills that will take a long time to do. Then there are crap shoot ones like Faize having to kill 6 of a particular type of enemy. Doesn't sound bad until you realize that there are only 6 in the entire game, and that they are all bosses, with a few being after long optional quest stuff. And to add salt to the wound, you can only earn battle medals for the character you are controlling for the fight. So any AI kills, assists, or anything at all does not count towards their respected medals. So that kill 30,000 enemies, you have to control that character and get all those kills yourself. And it has to be that character that lands the killing blow, if you wound it and another AI controlled ally kills it, that doesn't count. There is a reason why this game was labeled as a 600+ hour platinum, with some saying it's 800+ hours to get through it all. Might have to do a good 10+ playthroughs so that you can re fight so many bosses that are all required for some battle trophy off another character and so on. Then you know, open every chest in a game 2-3 times, kill every optional boss another good 3-4 times and so on as well, cause each playthrough will also force you to do most of all the side quest stuff every run as well. 

Fun game to play, but anyone that has that platinum, congrats and sorry you lost so much of your life on a single game. 

Honorable mentions would be White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2, those are both other 600 hour platinum that I just said nope to.