What Platinum trophy broke you and why ?

ajkungfu

Guitar Hero Live.

I'm still hunting platinum trophies, don't get me wrong. I know I just spend a solid week grinding the one million strums trophy, the last one I needed and it sapped all the fun out of the game for me. Ended up just strumming up and down as fast as I could on the stream mode where you couldn't fail a song and it still took a sizeable chunk of my time. It's one of my rarest platinums so I'm happy to have gotten it but I can't play the game properly anymore as I'm fairly certain the strum bar only works half the time now.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Diablo 3

You need to complete the game like 5 times, first playtrough was fun but then it got so fucking boring and repetitive. Also the trophy for 5mil coins is just insane and completely unnecessary, I had almost 1 mil coins at the end of my 5th playtrough?, at least it gets a bit faster after you get better gear with x% coins bonus.

Trophy list on reaper of souls is so much better, I mean bounty trophy can took a while but you can get it really fast if you play with someone and you can choose between many different bounties so it doesn't get boring.

But you really don't have a choice on original diablo if you want to get 5mil gold as fast and efficiently as possible

I grinded a lot of trophies with stupid requirements but this one was the worst for sure lol

Had to take many breaks and I've fallen asleep a lot too haha

• Like 3

AC 4 Black Flag. Even unemployed, I spend about 5 days grinding. Made me question if I should drop the Platinum hobbie.

I wanna 100% Red Dead 2, but the reports here, man... Working and doing a bachelor's, it leaves me with exactly 2 hours of free time on weekdays. I guess it will be a 3 years wait.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 14/11/2019 at 9:29 AM, kaltezhan said:

AC 4 Black Flag. Even unemployed, I spend about 5 days grinding. Made me question if I should drop the Platinum hobbie.

I wanna 100% Red Dead 2, but the reports here, man... Working and doing a bachelor's, it leaves me with exactly 2 hours of free time on weekdays. I guess it will be a 3 years wait.

Came to post the same thing. Working and doing my bachelor degree and RDR2 is the only game I've skipped the platinum on for now. I finished the story and did the online, it's just the 100% and gold medals I need and I can't bring myself to spend hours and hours tracking and hunting animals. I plan on getting to it eventually but it's definitely defeated me for the time being.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 6:42 AM, NekoRave said:

The day and time is April 4th 9:41pm.

I have played to this date 394 hours and no platinum for orcs must die! unchained.

The servers close in about 72 hours.

Yep, this game is just hell

Did you get it?

• Like 2

Treasures of Montezuma 4. I got x98 multiplier once (you need x99 for what was my last trophy to plat the game). Never got past the 80s in 100s of further tries. I abused my controller. Things would escape my mouth I’m not proud to admit. Gave up. Would come back to it every year or so, forgetting the damage done to my psyche, thinking I could do it. And I just got worse and worse at the game. It was the one that got away. To make it worse, its rarity isn’t even that low, forcing me to confront that many can do it. But it’s not easy, it’s hard. At least I tell myself that...

I’d add that the Hotline Miami Series, although I did end up platting both, brings out a dark side of human nature.

On 5/1/2020 at 5:04 PM, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Treasures of Montezuma 4. I got x98 multiplier once (you need x99 for what was my last trophy to plat the game). Never got past the 80s in 100s of further tries. I abused my controller. Things would escape my mouth I’m not proud to admit. Gave up. Would come back to it every year or so, forgetting the damage done to my psyche, thinking I could do it. And I just got worse and worse at the game. It was the one that got away. To make it worse, its rarity isn’t even that low, forcing me to confront that many can do it. But it’s not easy, it’s hard. At least I tell myself that...

I’d add that the Hotline Miami Series, although I did end up platting both, brings out a dark side of human nature.

I actually know that feeling well, though not with the same game.  While it's not a plat, the very last trophy in Zuma keeps defeating me.  It's the one to beat a level in 8 seconds or less.  One time I accomplished beating a level in 9 seconds.  Haven't been able to do that again, got 10 seconds once, but most of the time the best I can do is 14 or 15 seconds.  The trophy is especially frustrating because the game is so slow that it actually messes up your ability to aim.  Though with ToM4, I can see why you may have some trouble if it's the PS4 version.  The Vita version at least makes use of the touchscreen controls.  The PC version uses mouse controls (I also have the 100% in the Steam version).  A controller on match 3 puzzle games is downright terrible because it lacks the precision and speed of clicking or touching.

Maybe someday we'll both get our last trophies in these frustrating puzzle games!

As for the topic, never had a plat truly break me, but Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki sure came close.  The biggest part of my frustration was that there was not one guide out there that was fully accurate.  I used five different guides and all of them had things outright wrong or missing important details.  On top of that, I ran into a glitch with the monster book where one monster just wouldn't register and had to do an additional playthrough without carrying that over and had to pretty much redo my first run to do the majority of the quests because one that gives a unique monster entry has a pretty high requirement of detective points earned, so you couldn't just go do the monster killing quests only.  Also I had to redo the hunt for shining poms, and those monsters are stupidly rare encounters that took me forever to get the first time around and then I had to redo it.  Thankfully I didn't get hit with the glitch the second time around, I probably would have thrown in the towel if I had.

And keep in mind, this is my favorite series, and the game itself is quite good, but the plat is a terrible experience.  If the game gets localized ever, I'm not going for that plat until we have a guide in English that is of good quality and doesn't have outright incorrect information in it because like hell I'm going to deal with that again.  I'm hoping the PS4 re-release will spur someone to actually write a decent guide on the Japanese version so we have something at release if it is localized (which I think there is a high chance of, it just will take about two years).

• Like 1

The one that Kills me is for Resistance 2. I didn't put as much time into that game as I should have. I didn't think the servers would shut down so soon. I don't even think they were up for 3 years. Which makes no sense because there are games that are over 10 years old that still have servers up. When I started putting time into that game the servers were dead. I mean DEAD!!! Sometimes I couldn't find a match. Or if I did I would only have 1 or 2 people in it. The ONLY trophy I'm missing is get 10,000 online kills.. When it finally shut down I had 8,897 Kills. If I just had 4 or 5 days of FULL matches.. I would have gotten it. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

• Like 2

Stardew Valley

Fectors Challenge

Beat 'Journey Of The Prairie King' without dying

I manage to get this one a while back, I’m sure it took me nearly a month of constant daily replays of doing the same thing over and over again ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

I actually know that feeling well, though not with the same game.  While it's not a plat, the very last trophy in Zuma keeps defeating me.  It's the one to beat a level in 8 seconds or less.  One time I accomplished beating a level in 9 seconds.  Haven't been able to do that again, got 10 seconds once, but most of the time the best I can do is 14 or 15 seconds.  The trophy is especially frustrating because the game is so slow that it actually messes up your ability to aim.  Though with ToM4, I can see why you may have some trouble if it's the PS4 version.  The Vita version at least makes use of the touchscreen controls.  The PC version uses mouse controls (I also have the 100% in the Steam version).  A controller on match 3 puzzle games is downright terrible because it lacks the precision and speed of clicking or touching.

Maybe someday we'll both get our last trophies in these frustrating puzzle games!

As for the topic, never had a plat truly break me, but Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki sure came close.  The biggest part of my frustration was that there was not one guide out there that was fully accurate.  I used five different guides and all of them had things outright wrong or missing important details.  On top of that, I ran into a glitch with the monster book where one monster just wouldn't register and had to do an additional playthrough without carrying that over and had to pretty much redo my first run to do the majority of the quests because one that gives a unique monster entry has a pretty high requirement of detective points earned, so you couldn't just go do the monster killing quests only.  Also I had to redo the hunt for shining poms, and those monsters are stupidly rare encounters that took me forever to get the first time around and then I had to redo it.  Thankfully I didn't get hit with the glitch the second time around, I probably would have thrown in the towel if I had.

And keep in mind, this is my favorite series, and the game itself is quite good, but the plat is a terrible experience.  If the game gets localized ever, I'm not going for that plat until we have a guide in English that is of good quality and doesn't have outright incorrect information in it because like hell I'm going to deal with that again.  I'm hoping the PS4 re-release will spur someone to actually write a decent guide on the Japanese version so we have something at release if it is localized (which I think there is a high chance of, it just will take about two years).

Thanks for the reply. I hear Montezuma 4 was easier on the Vita. My brother has one and I got him to download it but because it’s not a cross save I would have had to replay most of the game to get to the spot where I can attempt the trophy. Maybe I still will someday but the again it’s hard to revisit old ghosts...I remember Zuma well I did 100% because I think I just got lucky with that trophy, it’s hard. Keep on nonetheless

I don't think any one platinum has broken me, I'm still here anyway. Usually going into a platinum hunt I know whether I'm actually going for the platinum or just for fun (games like Super Meat Boy or various Warriors titles) so I don't bother myself much with the ridiculous skill or unnecessary grinds if I'm not feeling them. I've completed various large grinds (a couple jrpgs and the likes with 100+hr avgs) and those are usually fine until right near the end when you're getting ready to move on.

I've also had a couple of near platinum failures, Harry Potter 5, Infamous 1 and recently Chocobo Mystery Dungeon. The first 2 I got close to the plat with Infamous being 1 collectible remaining and Harry Potter being a small number of collectibles remaining before my old PS3 wiped it's HD for what I believe was the 2nd or 3rd time (I've had to play through FFXIII 3 times in it's entirety because of this lol) and deleted my saves. Chocobo Mystery Dungeon I appear to have hit a glitch with the final trophy which is essentially a combination of 3 previous collectible trophies not popping after completion of the previous 3, and I will admit this one sucked pretty hard for a day or so before I moved on being that it's a 75hr+ platinum that I will have to do again to get to that point. I eventually went back and completed Infamous and made it my 50th platinum as homage to not letting a game defeat me and will probably one day go back and complete Harry Potter 5 though that one doesn't bother me too much, I don't remember the game being super outstanding. I will without a doubt complete Chocobo Mystery Dungeon again at some point though, just not for awhile.

I've beaten a game breaking glitch in Assassin's Creed Rogue, which when I researched it had actually plagued quite a lot of people and had no findable solution at the time. I spent a good few hours breaking down the glitch, what caused it and managed to find 2 different solutions to 100% fix the glitch through a lot of trial and error. This glitch probably came pretty close to breaking me momentarily but it was incredibly satisfying to beat it in the end.

Closest I've been to truly struggling with a platinum would have been Wolfenstein 2 with Mein Leben, it can be hard as hell and very unforgiving but I always knew I would manage it in the end so I pushed through. And no matter how hard it is throughout I can guarantee when you finish it's one of the most exhilarating feelings you will probably feel in any game. 

Honestly looking back I feel like I am a bit of a masochist, always feels great to get back at the games that challenge you or screw you over in various ways. Hell I went back and finished Mein Leben again on the German version of Wolf 2 to experience the challenge and thrill of it a second time because most other games just don't compare. I do think it's super important to be able to recognize when a game isn't worth it however. A lot of players get too caught up in completion percentages and the likes and push themselves far too hard to grind out some bullshit or try to beat something far too difficult for themselves.

13 minutes ago, stargate1995 said:

Closest I've been to truly struggling with a platinum would have been Wolfenstein 2 with Mein Leben, it can be hard as hell and very unforgiving but I always knew I would manage it in the end so I pushed through. And no matter how hard it is throughout I can guarantee when you finish it's one of the most exhilarating feelings you will probably feel in any game. 

Honestly looking back I feel like I am a bit of a masochist, always feels great to get back at the games that challenge you or screw you over in various ways. Hell I went back and finished Mein Leben again on the German version of Wolf 2 to experience the challenge and thrill of it a second time because most other games just don't compare. I do think it's super important to be able to recognize when a game isn't worth it however. A lot of players get too caught up in completion percentages and the likes and push themselves far too hard to grind out some bullshit or try to beat something far too difficult for themselves.

I was just talking about this game to someone else on these forums.

I really, really wish you could skip those cutscenes. You sort of feel for the characters at first but after so many times they just become aggravating to watch every single time you play.

I have one platinum that broke me, it is Disgaea 4, because it's too much grind.

However that's not the issue, when I played I felt that it was almost impossible to level up and defeat all enemies in the latest lvls and the way how I was lvling up was too slow and that it may take more than 300h to get it. 

I'm preparing mentally to get the platinum this year and finally have my game list completed. 

After that, I need to finish Cloudberry Kingdom (I'm at the second last lvl which is one of the harder lvls) and Black Desert and I'm done! 

Edited by Carttagos
  • Like 1

For me, it would have to be Metal Gear Solid 2. To get the plat (which I did) requires you to 100% all VR missions. What made me break and almost cry was when my little brother accidentally stepped on and unplugged the power outlet while I was in the middle of almost beating MGS1 Snake's variety mission, the one where you have a sniper rifle and have to stop all the soldier's from reaching the middle part before you fail. 

• Like 3

Well checking 1 year later on what "broke" me, I first mentioned DMC5 and Fist of The North Star. I think I can replace those challenges with an entry that actually was the first and only game on both PlayStation and PC that got me on the brink of utter rage and anger. 

That game is Street Fighter V and the explicit trophy in question is that Gold Rank crap that you have to reach online.  

I still don't have the platinum because I keep the stupid thing for a milestone and the final 2 trophies are just mindless grinding anyway so basically it's in the bag . But anyway the online Ranked mode of this game got me to pull my hair in frustration like no other game. 

What you need to do here is basically advance through ranks (rookie - bronze - super bronze - ultra bronze - silver- super silver - ultra silver - gold). Its a simple point based concept, a win gets you a number of points depending on the rank of the opponent and viceversa, a loss subtracts the points. 

Normally I wouldn't have an issue if I were to get mauled to death because I suck (and since well this is a fighting game.. Not my best area of expertise. I know when to admit that I suck ). Getting through bronze was a fun learning experience. HOWEVER getting through silver got me pitted against the worst glitchy McDonald's switch lag abusers ever. The term "git gud bruh" doesn't apply when you have a 5 bar(basically best connection available) Vega just randomly teleporting and Barcelona Drop your ass into oblivion because you have no idea how to play with lag inputs. It was the worst gaming experience I ever had, I'd literally replay DMC2 without cheats while listening to K-Pop rather than doing this crap again. It was nightmare and I can't wait to delete this game after I am done with it. 

Didn't break me though! That honor might go to either Overwatch or SF4. 

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Thanks for the reply. I hear Montezuma 4 was easier on the Vita. My brother has one and I got him to download it but because it’s not a cross save I would have had to replay most of the game to get to the spot where I can attempt the trophy. Maybe I still will someday but the again it’s hard to revisit old ghosts...I remember Zuma well I did 100% because I think I just got lucky with that trophy, it’s hard. Keep on nonetheless

Yeah, it was easier on Vita, but only on an actual Vita where you can use the touchscreen.  The same wouldn't be true on a PS TV. PS4 also is a unique trophy stack.  Makes me wonder if remote play might help?  I remember seeing something for another game that said you can remote play on a PC and that might allow you to use mouse controls and make it easier.  I think a big part of what makes that trophy hard on PS4 is that the game was originally for PC and the trophy set is the same as the achievement set on Steam and it failed to account for the fact that on PS4 you're not going to be as fast due to playing with a controller either by adjusting the trophy or adjusting the programming to allow more time.

But yeah, I do give Zuma a shot every now and then when I'm actually playing on my PS3.  Seriously luck based hasn't turned me away from getting my last trophy in Sparkle Unleashed, it just takes a lot of tries to make any progress.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Yeah, it was easier on Vita, but only on an actual Vita where you can use the touchscreen.  The same wouldn't be true on a PS TV. PS4 also is a unique trophy stack.  Makes me wonder if remote play might help?  I remember seeing something for another game that said you can remote play on a PC and that might allow you to use mouse controls and make it easier.  I think a big part of what makes that trophy hard on PS4 is that the game was originally for PC and the trophy set is the same as the achievement set on Steam and it failed to account for the fact that on PS4 you're not going to be as fast due to playing with a controller either by adjusting the trophy or adjusting the programming to allow more time.

But yeah, I do give Zuma a shot every now and then when I'm actually playing on my PS3.  Seriously luck based hasn't turned me away from getting my last trophy in Sparkle Unleashed, it just takes a lot of tries to make any progress.

I never thought of remote play!!! Hmmm... I think when this becomes possible I may go for it down the road, thanks a ton!

Without a doubt... "Steep". Some of those challenges you have to get Gold on are so freaking insanely difficult. Not only did it break me, it resulted in me breaking a controller with a bat. Only game to ever turn me into a true rage monster

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, D-Square23 said:

Without a doubt... "Steep". Some of those challenges you have to get Gold on are so freaking insanely difficult. Not only did it break me, it resulted in me breaking a controller with a bat. Only game to ever turn me into a true rage monster

Yeah same for me. Steep was annoying as hell.

• Like 2