What Platinum trophy broke you and why ?

ajkungfu

Rage 2 easily. I rented it from Redbox (back when you could do that) and it was fairly easy until the trophy of destroying all the drones hidden at the bandit camps. The issues were a.) they’re super quiet, b.) if you take too long they fly away to a different location and c.) the game had one of the worst fast travel systems before they fixed it. I ended up having to go to each camp one by one without it looking for the them. I’m cheapy the cheapskate and since I didn’t want a late fee, it took me 12+ hours in one session to do it. Once I did it I didn’t want to look at drone, a trophy or the number 2 ever again. It’s how I imagine Andy felt in Shawshank redemption when crawled half a mile through manure. After all that, i returned it on time though ?

• Like 2

The first Uncharted, the infamous blue room on crushing made me lost it for few days, not a hard plat overall, but I despise that room so much.

Sonic Unleashed platinium, more specifically Eggmanland Hot Dog missions, if you played the game you know what I'm talking about, finishing a 30 minute level 9 times without dying drove me to insanity.

Edited by Ninjise
  • Like 4

Oh this topic is quite old. Anyway for me, it has never been a platinum. But I remember playing 100% games Trash Panic and Bionic Commando and just thinking "Yep, trying to get 100% on everything is not really my thing. Maybe it was Street Fighter 4 and all those trials when I finally thought, definitely yes, not having fun so going to give up on all those.

I also remember enjoying my 100% on Resident Evil 5 and along online Versus trophies on a game/dlc that I hadn't even bought, and I just sighed..

• Like 1

I can't say that any platinum broke me. I have plenty of ultra hard platinums like Gran Turismo 5 and all Ninja Gaiden series. It is more like priorities and understanding that some things just not worth it. I realized it trying to do Max Payne 3. It was not like I tried 10 times and couldn't make it, no. I tried 2 times, first death was by my mistake and second one due to a bug. I just promised myself that I will never play permadeath mode in any game because it just not worth it. Sitiing 3+ hours in one run and wasting nerves... At the end it has more to do with luck then skill. I just decided to skip games like Wolfenstein 2 The new colossus because of permadeath. I am not afraid of ultra hard but they should be fair, not stupid 3 hours run with death at the end or a bug.

Also there is a Russian site with hardcore rating on it. They calculate scores based on how hard and long the games are. i have been number 1 on it for 2 years and when I stopped playing  hard games only it took people 6 months to catch up with me. I was literally more then 6 month on the first place without playing any hard games at all, so i know what I am talking about in terms of hard games. With age it just doesn't feel right to play some shit like Super Meatboy (no offense to fans :) ) for 10s of hours when I can play some beautiful games like Last of us. Just not worth spending time on it any more. 10 years ago it was fun and cool, but not when you are almost 40 years old :)

Edited by vanslayder
  • Like 4

Assassin's Creed Valhalla. To be clear the platinum, itself, is incredibly straightforward but the game is so bug ridden and broken with collectibles that span the beginning to the end of a game so that if just one of those collectibles glitch out, which they most certainly will, it's over. It's amazing the amount of people I see complaining that a glitch held them back from getting the platinum despite all the info out there showing that this game is broken. 

Destiny 2, more specifically the leviathan raid on prestige difficulty. The trophy list is actually fun and Destiny 2 is one of my fave games of all time. The problem is I got the platinum before I discovered PSN profiles and the D2 community is toxic AF, ruined the experience and is why I havent returned. You will hear everything from racist, sexist language when things don't go as planned, or even people just being casually racist and sexist out of nowhere, seemingly assuming everyone in the voice chat is white and/or right winged. It was the game that made me very selective when doing gaming sessions to avoid encountering such people again and helped me identify patterns of behaviour to easily identify such people because some are sneaky about their bigotry. There's also some players, not necessarily trophy hunters who take it way too seriously. I saw one guy freak out in a chat as he documented his frustrations playing a ranked match with randomers and he wasn't winning so couldn't get the weapon he wanted. He immediately left the clan and stopped playing D2 altogether. Some serious psychos out there, be careful peeps lol

Mafia III. This is the only one on this list that i do not have the platinum for and there's a very good reason: This platinum is so easy which is why it's absolutely infuriating that Hangar 13 cocked up some of the trophies with the definitive release recently by introducing a glitch that resets your 'save/kill all bosses' progress whenever you quit the app, forcing you to play the campaign in one go. The problem is the game is so poorly optimised that good luck making it to the end without a crash. There are some ways around this glitch but none that I have the time nor patience to deal with. Such a shame because it sours an otherwise decent instalment in the series.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

In the poster's defense, I think they were more saying that in the grand scheme of things super hard platinums may earn you a cool rep but don't do much for your rank in terms of tangible numbers. I know the poster referenced some unknown Russian site but I'm not even sure it does much for your rank here seeing as it's points based. So it's more about how many trophies and the type of trophies you have i.e. plat, gold etc. Spending 50 odd hours on one bronze trophy for Wolfenstein II, for instance, is counterproductive when you could be playing many other games and getting more and higher value trophies. 

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

7 minutes ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

In the poster's defense, I think they were more saying that in the grand scheme of things super hard platinums may earn you a cool rep but don't do much for your rank in terms of tangible numbers. I know the poster referenced some unknown Russian site but I'm not even sure it does much for your rank here seeing as it's points based. So it's more about how many trophies and the type of trophies you have i.e. plat, gold etc. Spending 50 odd hours on one bronze trophy for Wolfenstein II, for instance, is counterproductive when you could be playing many other games and getting more and higher value trophies. 

I can understand that but that only really matters if you care about the leaderboards.

Witch in 2021 basically has became the how many garbage games are you willing to suffer tru and who has the deepest pockets leaderboard now, so yeah think I take my personal sense of achievement(aka Mein Leben trophy) over doing what 1000’s of other ppl have done(while having zero fun May I add)?

12 hours ago, Brightblade76 said:

Still none since last time I've posted, but I'm playing fewer hard games compared to some years ago, just a hard plat every now and then. Less time for gaming and less will to suffer lol

You gotta plat DMC5 and Crash 4 before you retire and you can go out on legend status.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

I can understand that but that only really matters if you care about the leaderboards.

Witch in 2021 basically has became the how many garbage games are you willing to suffer tru and who has the deepest pockets leaderboard now, so yeah think I take my personal sense of achievement(aka Mein Leben trophy) over doing what 1000’s of other ppl have done(while having zero fun May I add)1f601.png

You gotta plat DMC5 and Crash 4 before you retire and you can go out on legend status.

Crash 4 was a fun ride but the only thing which annoyed me personally was the long ass levels. Crash is known for their short levels not 5 or 6+ minute levels. However I had a great time platting this.

B2T

I would not say "break me" but I have a hard time with these 3 games. Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled, Catherine &  Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. But I will not give up and achieve those platinums.

Edited by ShadyWARcotix
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

Witch in 2021 basically has became the how many garbage games are you willing to suffer tru and who has the deepest pockets leaderboard now, so yeah think I take my personal sense of achievement(aka Mein Leben trophy) over doing what 1000’s of other ppl have done(while having zero fun May I add)1f601.png

I have them on my backlog list, one reserved for trophy 10k and the other for plat 225, which will be my last PS4 game, then I'll probably go back from completionist to just gamer status, moving to PS5.

• Like 2

The hardest for me was Wolfenstein II. The sheer defeat I felt booting up Mein Leben straight after a painful mistake is something I will never forget. It took me a month to conquer that mode.

A close second is LUMINES REMASTERED, because the AI in CPU mode is brutal. A whole year of on and off attempts before I earned that Platinum.

• Like 3

By no means among the hardest, but Far Cry 2 offline, and GTA Vice City godfather rank, damn those were dreadful.

In terms of difficulty, Guitar Hero Metallica, Gran Turismo 5 and Vanquish did their numbers on me.

edit: Oh and Assassins Creed 3 was miserable.

Edited by willmill97
  • Like 1

The platinum trophy for a game called I hate running backwards probably one of the most frustrating games I played so far the God Among Mortals trophy took me so many attempts to do I was surprised myself when it unlocked I barely made it I didn't think I would ever plat this game but i put myself to the test and I practiced every single day for weeks something to be very proud of especially being the 4th person to accomplish the impossible Gold trophy! 

• Like 1

For me I believe it was Box Vr, Its like Beat Saber but you have to punch the blocks like in box , uppercuts left right hits.The trophy that broke me was to finish 10 songs without missing a beat, which for me was a huge problem as I have concentration issuses.
I plan to try again sometime soon hopefully I have better luck this time.

• Like 2

Currently feeling worn and broken down going for the Adventure Time Explore The Dungeon Because I dont know  platinum. 

Ive done some grindy games on PSN, and Ive done even bigger grinds on WoW. For some reason, nothing feels like it competes with this. The mechanics in this game are nothing Ive experienced in any game before. This is a dungeon crawler (clearly) and the biggest grind of the game is leveling up your characters. While exploring, you obtain treasure, which is then used to level up your character. Easy, right? Wrong!

First, when you enter the dungeon, you HAVE to complete 5 dungeons before getting a check point; If you die or leave, you must start over. Second, as you level your character up, each stat gets more expensive to level up (as high as 700). This is a downfall because it would take you searching every corner of every dungeon to get this amount of treasure before leaving. Also, if you die, you also lose half the amount of treasures you had at the time >_>

Why not save up your treasure? Oh, because of this little added feature called "Candy Tax"!!! Basically, when you gather treasures in the dungeons and then return to the hub, the treasure gathered MUST be spent, because any unspent treasure gets stripped from your pockets the moment you decide to go back into the dungeon. That is Candy Tax.

You cant save up treasure to level your characters, you have to obtain absurd amounts in a single run to obtain just **1** stat level up. If you die you lose progress and half your treasures. Upon death you return to the hub, to which you must spend your treasure or lose it all! So there could be times you had enough gold to level up your character while in the dungeon, die, lose half your gold, no longer have enough gold to lvl up while in the hub, and then have to kiss the rest of the gold goodbye when you reenter!!!!

To top all this off, you have to max every character... 

This game is.... 

• Like 2

This is certainly nothing to do with difficulty but there a few memorable experiences worth noting, btw I'm loving reading all the comments on here, sharing in each others pain haha. 

1. Stories the path of destinies.  

My gosh, I can't even fathom just how boring and repetitive seeing all the endings was. I was done with this game at the 50 percent mark and did not enjoy a single minute of the grind. Even though it was only a -20 plat It seemed like so much longer. Felt so unhappy and unfulfilled after this one. Definitely existential crisis moment and my least favourite platinum to date.

2. Persona 5 Royal. 

Boring Boring Boring. I so wanted to love this game, but Mannnnn the characters and voices just fucked me off so much. 60 hours has never felt so long.

3. Just cause 3.

I actually didn't mind all the gears related stuff but this game glitched on me and I had to basically replay and do all settlements on all islands again just to get one trophy to pop. 

4. Star Wars battlefront 2.

I had to wait 6 months for a patch for the level 50 trophy. After spending 150+ hours grinding heroes vs villains I finally reached the milestone only to hear nothing... nada.... felt so sick in my stomach and spent the next 6 months following EA forums daily. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 9:28 PM, dmason2011 said:

Final Fantasy 9. The jump rope trophy. I can’t get past 50 jumps on my own. I have put in countless hours attempting this trophy. 

This right here is the single reason I never "perfected" this game like 20 years ago.

I never really gave it much of a try either.  A friend and I played through the game to beat it, and I examined "before trophies were around" what we had to do to get all items, treasures, chocographs, etc.  I came to the conclusion that getting the Excalibur II and getting all the missable items, cards, beating Hippal was impossible in 1 play through. So I was like...no.

Yet this specific trophy and challenge is the one reason I hesitate every time even considering continuing my perfect FF streak.  I just don't think I can do it.  I also don't want to do it either. 

In fact, thinking this through I would rather go out, get in shape, and literally do 1,000 jump ropes in real life without stopping at a slow and steady pace of course, and then just emailing the video to Playstation and have them give me the trophy; than actually sitting there hitting a button 1,000 times in a row without a single mistake.  A sneeze...an itch of my beard...perhaps even a fart that throws me off balance could ruin it all.

Edited by LegendExeter
  • Like 2

So I'm way late to the game of playing in this day and age and don't even have enough games or background to say one "broke" me yet, I could even complain about the recent plats I've got or say how much they sucked...yet nothing I would think groundbreaking. 

Rayman Legends grind sucks, there is nothing to it, you technically can make it faster if you could be in the top 1% in the world during daily and weekly challenges, yet I never was.  I settled on getting golds or silvers every day for months, bronze's were unacceptable unless the challenge was total bullshit.  I sped up my time by getting mostly gold's and a few silvers, was even 0.20 off of a Diamond one time and I was like...I can't see where I can shed more time.  Bottom Line - it's gonna take months, and if you want to make it quicker my suggestion is as soon as you unlock any form of challenge while you are playing the normal game through, start participating in daily and weekly challenges, the sooner you start, the sooner you can accumulate points that you will need later.  Yet other than that, you can't make it quicker, you have to wait for the next day to do another daily challenge.

Pre-Trophy Era - games I tried yet never beat:

Strider (NES) - could never figure out how to beat the final boss, he kept knocking my sword away.

Ninja Gaiden (NES) - you only had a few continues, the game was so awesome story wise and we wanted to know what happened as gamers, yet it was so damn hard and a lot of cheap kills and resurrecting monsters.

Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) - I never could get past like World 8-3 I think it was like a set of tanks or something, I just gave up I couldn't do it.  This was without using the warp whistles either.

Russian Attack (NES) - the only weapon you had was a knife, so stupid, we never beat this, my friend or myself.  

TMNT (NES) - we wanted the game to be good, yet it really sucked, that water level was bullshit and even if you got past it you were so close to death.

Bayou Billy (NES) - the game was just all over the place, good story, fun, yet just challenges were so various from 2D side scroller to racing, it was difficult and I didn't really care I guess.

Playstation

- I can't think of any games I didn't complete/perfect on this.  Diablo 1, I only got 1 of the 3 characters to level 50, it took 40 game hours to get from level 49 to 50, so ridiculous.  So "not perfected".

Playstation 2

At this point perfecting games was becoming more prevalent with Final Fantasies, the use of gamefaqs.com to help us out, and yes people...we actually had physical strategy guides, books with the clues about the game in them.  Game I never beat/perfected-

Gran Turismo 2 - after unlocking everything in the original GT including all Gold License tests, this game just kind of shocked me in that it was visually worse looking than its predecessor.  I tried playing it, tried to like it, yet I just couldn't get over how ridiculous that was to me, a newer game that looks worse than the 1st; so I abandoned it and never went back.

ESPN NFL 2K5 - best NFL game ever, I didn't complete/perfect this game, yet I was damn close, just ran out of time before I met the next woman.

Baldurs Gate 2: Dark Alliance - I only maxed out the Archer/Female, I know I got far with the Dwarf and there was a way to get a ton of levels at once, or up to level 40 to finish out this game, yet at this point I wanted to play other things, and frankly do other things, this is possibly one of the last games I played on PS2 before retiring.

• Like 3

Marvel Avengers. 
then when I got my ps5 upgrade and loaded my save, it loaded 3 weeks before I got the platinum. So I had a lot of grinding to do.. AGAIN! 

good game if I could of left it at 40 hours of gameplay. No I had to do 150 hours ??‍♂️