Obscure PS4 Game Recommendations

ObsiEez

Like the title says what is your guys recommendation's for obscure PS4 titles or just PS4 games that you feel get overlooked for the bigger triple A games. I got a few for you guys as well.

Beholder - $20 CDN (easy plat with guide)

Just in Time Incorporated - $20 CDN (PSVR) (easy plat)

Prison Boss VR - $27 CDN (PSVR) (easy plat but arcade mode can be challenging)

Moonlighter - $27 CDN (hard plat)

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life - $20 CDN (simple plat, pretty popular game however don't really see mentioned or played very often, also a port of the PS2 version)

Shoppe Keep is rough around the edges but quite fun overall if you like shopowner games. Siralim 1 thru 3 are all fantastic teambuilding turn-based RPGs with an emphasis on grinding to find new dudes and make them stronger

There's even an obscure free to play game that literally next to no one plays but its Trophies are all mostly grind. Games of Glory's trophy descriptions seem to be misleading as you can get most of the trophies by playing customs with bots

• Like 1

From my trophy list: 

Ghost Blade HD - Worthy game for shmup fans. Others may find it difficult due to the genre requiring skill and commitment. 

Celeste - A good platformer with an alright story. Assist Mode is a love or hate thing for most people.

Deponia - Quite alright point and click game with a sense of humor and doesn’t take itself too seriously. Easy platinum to boot.

SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics - I don’t know if this really applies as this is a collection of old retro games. 

Worthy collection for any retro gamer. A couple trophies will give most people a little trouble but they aren’t that difficult. I had a blast playing these old games again. 

There are more, but this is all I can think of for the moment.

Just a few:

Adr1ft is a game where you're trying to escape the destruction of the space station you were on. Pretty legit zero-gravity controls.

Gorogoa is a neat puzzle game with a cool panel mechanic. It's an easy plat, too.

Iconoclasts is a metroidvania that was all made by one dude. Music, pixel art, writing, the whole thing. His brother directed the new Shazam movie.

Not a plat-focused list, but it's some smaller, missed games.

I recommend:

Salt & Sanctuary - This is the love child between Metroidvanias and Dark Souls. Definitely underrated.

Cosmic Star Heroine - A simple JRPG reminiscent of the 16-bit era. It’s easy and decent enough that it deserves a play through.

I played both of these on the Vita, but they both have a PS4 version.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Nai_Lienoj said:

Cosmic Star Heroine - A simple JRPG reminiscent of the 16-bit era. It’s easy and decent enough that it deserves a play through.

Ooh I'm liking the look of this one it is very reminiscent of the 16-bit era & I love a lot of JRPG's from the era with Chrono Trigger being one of my favorites (begging for a PS4/Vita port with trophy support)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ObsiEez said:

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life - $20 CDN (simple plat, pretty popular game however don't really see mentioned or played very often, also a port of the PS2 version)

I bought the GameCube version brand new back in... 2004? Finally beat it in 2017. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but I don't think it can be called a good game. I think the studio had some grand ideas that they couldn't quite get to work using that generation's hardware. Just three bachelorettes/bachelors, just a few holidays that are really only cutscenes that are the same every year, you can earn a ton of money just through fruit harvested from trees (I think this got nerfed in the PS2 version) and you can buy everything worthwhile in a year or so, an aging population

Spoiler

but even the elderly people at the beginning of the game die after you do

, a building on your farm that never unlocks (might have been removed in the PS2 version), and items tied to a Game Boy Advance game (again, might have been removed from the PS2 version). Furthermore, the PS2 port is apparently inferior to the GameCube version, with a lower framerate and longer load times, though I'm not 100% certain about this, it's just what I've read.

Honestly, this was the beginning of the end of HM for me. It's definitely not one of the worst games ever made and not even the worst HM game, but it's overlooked for a reason. Frankly, I'm shocked they "remastered" it.

That said, here are my recommendations:

Zero Escape series - VNs with puzzle solving.

Utawarerumono series - VNs with a tactical RPG-lite mode.

Hyper Light Drifter - A tough but fair action game. Think of it as a 2D Soulsborne game but easier and with frequent checkpoints.

• Like 1

Reverie is so overlooked. It's very similar to a retro Legend of Zelda game that will make you smile the entire time. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Creed: Rise to Glory is a fantastic VR game that is good for some moderate exercise and is fun and thrilling. Some of the matches are tough, but it feels great when you pull off a great come back KO! I enjoyed every second of it and played it a lot for fun.

• Like 3

Icey - Really short and easy plat, but it has good humor and is fun to play. It breaks the 4th wall a few times. You can usually get it for a few dollars when it goes on sale. 

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime - Stupid name, but a lot of fun. Even more fun with some friends. Another easy plat. 

Pyre - I LOVED this game. I think I finished it in one sitting. The story is pretty boring, but the gameplay itself is amazing. Well worth playing.

Divinity Original Sin 2 -  I'm putting this on here even though it was a big release from Larian. I don't think enough people played this game or know about it. Tactical turn based combat, heaps of fun with friends. 

The Swords of Ditto - Roguelike game, no online co-op but there is couch co-op. I love the art in this game. Plat is a bit difficult/grindy, but I'm working on it

Blackwood Crossing - Very short game, I loved the story. Worth grabbing on a sale, it just tells a story with some very simple mechanics. 

Pretty sure these will count. I wouldn't say they are overlooked due to AAA games, but probably overlooked in general.

Guns, Gore, and Cannoli is probably overlooked simply because it doesn't have a plat. There's a couple toughies in the trophies, but overall this was a fun game. 

Guns, Gore, and Cannoli 2. Improved gameplay all around from the 2nd game. Not as hard, but you can challenge yourself if so desired. 

Risen 3: Titan Lords - Enhanced Edition. Now this was a tough one to recommend. It's not exactly the most well made game for an "enhanced edition". However, I still enjoyed playing this one until I encountered the same game breaking glitch 3 times in a row. This is my finest example of how not all glitches are documented because I found absolutely nothing on what causes this glitch or how to fix it. Simply put, about 3/4 of the way through the game reset and deleted itself. My map cleared, the game acted as if I'd never visited the island I was on, I was no longer able to captain my ship as the game believed I never made it to that point, all my missions disappeared, and just utter chaos ensued. Since I found no one else that encountered this little fuck up I think it's safe to say that, if you were so inclined, this game is safe...or at least I'm 99% sure it is lol.

Bloons TD 5 is a game I will always recommend to anyone looking at trying a new genre who's never played a Tower Defense game. There's a million different ways you can play this and there's tons of tracks to play as well as different levels of difficulty. Tons of content as well so if you get bored of the main tracks you could always go into other modes to play. Couch co op was introduced a while ago so the plat was made obtainable by anyone who doesn't have PS+ or wants to rely on someone else online. (which was the position I was in when I platted it.)

1 hour ago, Einigkeit said:

I bought the GameCube version brand new back in... 2004? Finally beat it in 2017. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but I don't think it can be called a good game. I think the studio had some grand ideas that they couldn't quite get to work using that generation's hardware. Just three bachelorettes/bachelors, just a few holidays that are really only cutscenes that are the same every year, you can earn a ton of money just through fruit harvested from trees (I think this got nerfed in the PS2 version) and you can buy everything worthwhile in a year or so, an aging population

Reveal hidden contents

but even the elderly people at the beginning of the game die after you do

, a building on your farm that never unlocks (might have been removed in the PS2 version), and items tied to a Game Boy Advance game (again, might have been removed from the PS2 version). Furthermore, the PS2 port is apparently inferior to the GameCube version, with a lower framerate and longer load times, though I'm not 100% certain about this, it's just what I've read.

Honestly, this was the beginning of the end of HM for me. It's definitely not one of the worst games ever made and not even the worst HM game, but it's overlooked for a reason. Frankly, I'm shocked they "remastered" it.

Honestly I agree with your opinion on the game for the most part, I still really enjoyed it (I also played it on gamecube I never owned the PS2 version but to my knowledge they played pretty much the same & I even still own my gamecube version to this day & it works just great). Wonderful Life in my opinion is still a pretty enjoyable game however it's a mediocre HM game at best (in all honest my favorite one in the series is Magical Melody on Gamecube which I still play from time to time & honestly surprised it even works still). It's sad that the 3 harvest moon games on PS4 are the mediocre to just straight up bad ones (the new one being a god awful over priced mobile game & Save the Homeland just being extremely boring & suffers from all the points you mentioned but more drastic). I honestly just want more Harvest Moon like farm/life sims on the PS4 since I loved playing those games as a kid & My Time at Portia is coming out soon which I've been looking forward to.

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Reverie is so overlooked. It's very similar to a retro Legend of Zelda game that will make you smile the entire time. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Creed: Rise to Glory is a fantastic VR game that is good for some moderate exercise and is fun and thrilling. Some of the matches are tough, but it feels great when you pull off a great come back KO! I enjoyed every second of it and played it a lot for fun.

Yes I've wanted to buy Reverie for the longest time but all these new releases keep getting in the way lol. Huge Zelda nerd so I've had my eye on that game ever since I heard about it.

As with Creed it came with my VR bundle that I bought & wasn't really looking forward to trying it out cause I'm a fat ass however I really enjoyed the game to the point I went for the platinum. I was sweaty bullets after each session though, definitely a good way to go in a bit of exercise while also having a bit of fun at the same time

• Like 1

Banner Saga Trilogy - Some of the best tactics rpgs out there no doubt. Great gameplay, story, characters, proper choices/consequences and a beautiful score. 

Thronebreaker Witcher Tales - Considering how much praise the Witcher 3 received I don’t get why this game didn’t get much attention. The excellent writing, characters and choices present in the Witcher 3 are all available in this game. Only difference is that thronebreaker is a card game mixed with some puzzle elements. 

Steamworld Collection - All three of them are fantastic and incredibly fun to play. 

Bleed 1&2 - Great mix of platform and pure bullet hell action. Beware though as these are in my opinion among some of the hardest platinums out there, 100% skill no bullshit. 

Edited by NaseemJohn

Easily this game https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5312-jazzpunk Absolutely hillarious at times loads of easter eggs of other games, easy plat you can do twice 

Both Guns,Gore and Cannoli games very fun games a good length and a good challenge at times 

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5672-her-majestys-spiffing Great point and click game very funny, good gameplay and story 

Edited by Conker

Salt and Sanctuary, bastion, pyre, messenger, sundered, Guacamelee 1 & 2, timespinner, chasm, enter the Gungeon, binding of Isaac, shadow complex, mummy demastered, va11-ha11a, shovel knight, yokus island Express, wizard of Legend, shantae, undertale (Have the Platinum in all those)

Hollow knight, dead cells, rabi-ribi, furi, owlboy, matterfall, nex machina, hob, transistor

(I know some aren't obscure, just a list I made a few weeks ago)

• Like 3

I’d always considered these three games to be quite well known but judging by the number of tracked owners on this site they could use some more exposure.

Slime Rancher

Farming sim with a surprising focus on exploration. It’s not a massive timesink like your Stardew Valleys, you can plat it in about 25 hours, but it has a lot of charm to make up for it.

Hollow Knight

The low amount of owners on this one blows my mind. Arguably the best Metroidvania ever made. Costs 15 bucks and frequently goes on sale for even less.

Superhot

Experimental FPS where time only moves when you move. A bit light on content, it’s more of a proof of concept. Absolutely worth its asking price though.

4 hours ago, Nai_Lienoj said:

Salt & Sanctuary - This is the love child between Metroidvanias and Dark Souls. Definitely underrated.

Complety agree, it’s a fantastic game, I’ve loved it. Got platinum on vita and PS4..... I’m wondering if there will be a number 2 ?!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ObsiEez said:

Honestly I agree with your opinion on the game for the most part, I still really enjoyed it (I also played it on gamecube I never owned the PS2 version but to my knowledge they played pretty much the same & I even still own my gamecube version to this day & it works just great). Wonderful Life in my opinion is still a pretty enjoyable game however it's a mediocre HM game at best (in all honest my favorite one in the series is Magical Melody on Gamecube which I still play from time to time & honestly surprised it even works still). It's sad that the 3 harvest moon games on PS4 are the mediocre to just straight up bad ones (the new one being a god awful over priced mobile game & Save the Homeland just being extremely boring & suffers from all the points you mentioned but more drastic). I honestly just want more Harvest Moon like farm/life sims on the PS4 since I loved playing those games as a kid & My Time at Portia is coming out soon which I've been looking forward to.

Yeah, My Time at Portia looks intriguing, but apart from that and Stardew Valley, I can't think of anything off-hand that would fill that void on PS4, though if you have a 3DS, you could pick up Story of Seasons to tide you over.

• Like 1