New Ratalaikagames Game?

DarkLordSHTR

It's actually amazing how an hour can change your perspective.

Concerning Ratalaika Games, it seems their other releases don't have enough polish to even be considered finished, much less appropriate for PSN and the eShop. Metagal in particular was an awful experience that I kinda regret buying now. So their games being such low quality does show that, yeah, people are only buying these games for their trophies. And it's sending the wrong message to the devs; not getting the right criticism on their games will make them think they aren't doing anything wrong and won't improve their skills like they should.

But Super Weekend Mode in particular is genuinely good, so while I understand feeling that the trophy list should be adjusted to allow the player to experience the full game and probably not have a plat, it hurts to see people say that playing it should "decrease the points on your profile". Seems like people are judging it without playing it based solely on Ratataika's past releases.

But still...

44 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

Also, can you really say it's getting indie developers on the map if the people playing their games would be happy staring at a blank screen as long as they get their trophies out of it? How many people will actually buy PixelTeriyaki's next game if it had a genuine trophy list? Is it even a good thing for people to be making more games that won't sell at all without the incentive of trophies?

At the very least, we know that his next game would sell more now than if Ratataika never touched it. I mean, I'm following his work now and I would have never known about him if the game didn't pop up on PSNProfiles' home page. I think this game needed the marketing boost of easy trophies so people play it for the plat and discover, "Hey, this game is actually good!" and keep playing it, rather than being like "Glad that's finally over" like I felt after Metagal.

So I still don't get the hate against easy trophies, but I completely understand lazy and easy trophies.

10 hours ago, Demon--Prototype said:

Because they wouldn't be around for very long if they kept it as one.

Exactly, if there only selling point is the trophies they are doing it wrong. At least from a games perspective. Indies can definitely still be successful without going to this extreme. Still i cant blame people for going for all these stacks because for people like yourself who are aiming to go up in the leaderboard you dont really have a choice. its just too many points to pass up on. 

As @Shadiochao said its just disappointing to see what has become of the trophy system (our hobby). I remember when the new games list on PSNprofiles home page was always filled with quality games and now these lists are starting to become the majority. There are so many games that deserve a decent list with a platinum but dont, and yet a 4 minute game does. I would like to see Sony's rules for trophies. 

I hope Sony steps up to improve the trophy system or add some restrictions as 7000 points or whatever (almost a whole level) in half an hour or so is just.....whats the point? 

Anyway thats just a little rant from me. Ill go back to work now :P

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NekoRave said:

I welcome more, but I just hope the trophy lists are a bit longer than the time it takes to purchase the game.

Agreed. Adding the trophies the way they mostly are now is often even a bit of an insult to the actual game.

As a good example of how things could be: I played Twin Robots on Vita and although not very hard, it's a good game with a pretty decent trophy list. You need to finish the game, get all the collectibles and finish each level with both robots alive, which can be a small but fun challenge. It's still a 1 or 2 out of 10 when you use a guide, but at least the trophy list matches the game and after finishing it. you can feel like you are done with the game too. It's damn fun and I can recommend it.

The reason why so many people (like me at times) defend these quick and easy games is that they are actually mostly fun. They are often well produced and especially for the Vita great fun for their small install size. But we need to keep in mind that this is mostly because of the hard work by the developers. All Ratalaika does is make sure they work on Vita and PS4. As a programmer myself, I am pretty sure that still takes a little effort. But most of their input is the trophy lists and those, for the most part, plain suck.

The unfulfilling trophy lists is why I stopped buying these games pretty much, so they are losing customers because of the crappy trophies too. I am sure I am missing out on some fun games for my Vita (sorry hard working devs who meant well) but I just do not enjoy getting the trophies for them anymore.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

Super Weekend mode was very fun a nice challenge too trying to remember to push the correct button to move the thing at bottom and not push both when i didn't need to xD. on time i got a awful level 3 pattern where i had no chance xD, though i would like to know if anyone else like me thought level 4 was way easier then level 3?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NekoRave said:

Yeah I feel like the lists can be expanded on, and the excuse is the publisher tests the trophies himself and isn't that great at games.

Also, when a game gets a trophy list worthy of the name, it often fails to sell. Where Are My Friends is a fun little game with all kinds of different genres rolled into one. It's trophy list, however, is diabolically hard. Guess which game no one bought?

I mean, a game like Blasting Agent could have had a deadly trophy list (could you imagine having to complete hard mode without dying?). But it just doesn't pay to do so. I think there should be a happier medium between the two extremes myself, but there are good financial reasons to keep trophies simple in these games.

4 hours ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

The unfulfilling trophy lists is why I stopped buying these games pretty much, so they are losing customers because of the crappy trophies too.

I'm the same, but I think their gains must outweigh their losses, because they seem to be dumbing the trophies down even more nowadays.

Edited by starcrunch061

14 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Also, when a game gets a trophy list worthy of the name, it often fails to sell.

This can only apply to games that are catering to trophy whores though.

It is often said that trophy hunters / whores are but a small fraction of the gaming community, so this shouldn't play a big role in general.

But I guess those are the games you're talking about. Just saying, cause people who love indie games and smaller titles are not necessarily trophy whoring gamers at the same time.

Edited by fastflowdaman

1 minute ago, fastflowdaman said:

This can only apply to games that are catering to trophy whores though.

It is often said that trophy hunters / whores are but a small fraction of the gaming community, so this shouldn't play a big role in general.

But I guess those are the games you're talking about. Just saying, cause people who love indie games and smaller titleds are not necessarily trophy whoring gamers at the same time.

It's probably a vicious cycle. I don't think anyone is looking to Sometimes You to give them a worthy trophy experience, so when it happens, they get burned for it. If Ratalaika decided to make trophies more worthy, they'd certainly lose a lot of their purchases (although they'd likely get me back - as I've said many times, I enjoy Ratalaika games).

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
12 hours ago, Wrizure said:

Its not like its a hard game though lol, looks like I'll just have to persevere, or go play a game and not care for the trophies :/

I feel Super Weekend Mode is one of the Ratalika Games games that definitely takes effort for obtaining the platinum unlike Jack N Jill for example.