Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roobieroo

Reason for lower numbers now than PS3 era?

8 posts in this topic

What is the reason there are so many fewer players now than back in the PS3 era? Did Playstation update privacy settings so that only people who went in and manually updated trophy privacy settings are tacked? You'd think that with nearly 4 million players on this site that you'd see more than a few thousand active on the most popular games at a time. Take Uncharted games for example. Uncharted 4 is the best selling game in the series but on this site, Uncharted 2 & 3 have hundreds of thousands more owners listed. Were there changes to how this site tracks activity that are responsible? Are people just less interested in tracking trophies now than they were during the last gen? What accounts for the drop?

I have seen so many hidden profiles on PSN. Everybody thats really not a trophy hunter probably have their profile hidden because of the privacy crap.

Privacy is a good explanation. Also, not every Playstation player is registered on this site.

Long ago when you synced your profile it also synced your friends accounts (or something along those lines), which Sony stopped allowing that to happen when they implemented privacy.

Another thing is is always takes years for games to reach several hundred thousand game owners - those PS3 games took many years to reach those numbers, same with PS4 games. You'll see games that released early in the PS4 lifecycle like inFamous Second Son with over 500,000 game owners but it took a long time for that game to get there, while games closer to release today haven't been on the site as long to naturally collect that number of game owners.

I think some of it has to do with active and inactive profiles too and whether they have been updated or not

Edited by BlindMango

On 4/7/2019 at 0:32 PM, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

I have seen so many hidden profiles on PSN. Everybody thats really not a trophy hunter probably have their profile hidden because of the privacy crap.

I think everybody took that Edward Snowden controversy far too seriously and just ate up all that bullshit the media was feeding them. 

Too many people can’t think for themselves. 

I see no point in hiding your profile. Hidden trophies, maybe, but not an entire profile.

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram? Yeah, make those profiles private, not only for your security but also to keep out stalkers. 

The worst that I’ve seen is profiles that have hacked games in the multitudes and gotten less than a minute platinums. What’s the point in hiding your profile if you didn’t cheat?

It’s pointless. The people who hide their trophy profile because they think keeping it in the open is invading privacy are delusional. 

Edited by Spaz

This is purely psnprofiles. Has nothing to do with a few private accounts! Nonsense.

back in the day every username who’d ever been entered on this site would be updates every week. (3.900.000 users on psnprofiles).

nowadays this website only updates registered users.

(290.000 users).

That’s like a 90+% loss!

but hey, a few private accounts might be more of an influence in this matter.

3 hours ago, Deaths_Trooper said:

This is purely psnprofiles. Has nothing to do with a few private accounts! Nonsense.

back in the day every username who’d ever been entered on this site would be updates every week. (3.900.000 users on psnprofiles).

nowadays this website only updates registered users.

(290.000 users).

That’s like a 90+% loss!

but hey, a few private accounts might be more of an influence in this matter.

Sly is planning on switching auto-updating back on for unregistered users sometime soon