How is RDR Online these days?

Dreakon13

A friend and I play GTA Online a lot lately (on Xbox) and having recently played through the campaign of RDR2 myself... I'm tempted to get him RDR2 as a gift so we can play around in that a bit too (and he'd probably enjoy the single player also).

In GTA we generally just free roam, messing with NPC's and doing little odd jobs to help get money for ammo to mess with more NPC's.  Figure RDR Online may be kinda like that... just a bit slower paced, nicer graphics and a whole new world to explore.

Is RDR Online fun though?  Does it seem like it'll be around for a while and/or improved and supported by Rockstar?  Does it have the traction that GTA Online has/had?

Is it easy to connect with friends?  We typically don't like the people in GTA Online who just fly around their flying rocket launching motorcycle things and blow everything up in one shot.  I feel like there would probably be less of that in RDR... but is there till a lot of griefing going on?

Appreciate any insights!

Last time I played RDR2 online was last year. There's definitely griefing in this one. I found that it gets boring quickly unlike GTA Online when it first came out. Not much content, and if they added some since launch, I bet its not that much. RDR2 have limited content due to its old setting unlike GTA.

I'd wait a bit until it's out of "beta". (It's not a beta, but Rockstar calls it that, while still pushing microtransactions...)

Anyways, it is easy to join in with friends, you can also form a posse and do missions together, so that aspect is nice. But there is just nothing to do at the moment. The PvP is boring and if that's what you're looking for then there are way better PvP games out there. If it's just the roaming around, just know that many of the stranger missions are still glitched and won't start, forcing you to reload your game, and the story mode is not entirely finished. 

They promised to add more story content later this spring, as well as make it feasible to play in a pacifist way. They already implemented a bounty system to disincentivize aggresive play, but the changes they made suck and Rockstar is aware of it it. So they are making further changes down the line. 

I am confident that Rockstar will support this game for a long time to come, but at the moment it's not worth it. Personally, I never had problems with griefing.. I mean sure, I have been killed 3 or 4 times by other players while I was minding my own business.. but in the 50 hours I spent in Red Dead Online, that's a pretty negligible number. 

Edited by Arcesus7
  • Like 1

At this point in time, RDR 2's online is very restricted (still being in its beta phase).  The only real way to conquer online mode is to grind execution kills on Saint Denis' lawmen above an alleyway ladder (for exp) and fishing lots of sockeye salmon (for money).  As for 3 MVPs trophy, you have to get help from a boost session or you will have to play lots of races with randoms on your own risk.  Don't expect an invite only session at this time, as all players are required to be public sessions.  Do not play alone for very long, either.

It would be nice if there was a Survival Mode equivalent to GTA V's but almost endless, to grind exp and money.

Edited by DeepestTempest
I added an extra suggestion.

Haven't played online since February and it wasn't too bad. Course you get clowns that think slaughtering you as you mind your own business is hilarious. They're easily avoided though and you can have fun. The game modes are alright and Rockstar adds new ones weekly.

There's supposed to be a big update coming out this month so might be best off waiting til it comes out and see what they add.

• Like 1

Just finished the online mode in order to get the last trophies. RDO is pretty boring, offers you nothing and most of the game modes you saw better in other games. This mode is based arround microtransactions but at the same time only offers you crap. Oh and the level restrictions make it impossible to buy stuff. No matter if in game currency or real money. Just as an example: There is a horse unlocking at level 80! In order to level up to this stage you need 100 hours of grinding the last story mission or gun rush. Who in their right mind does that? There is just nothing appealing about RDO.

• Like 2

Thanks for the insight everyone.

To be clear, I don't care about "conquering" RDR Online.  Or unlocking everything.  Or trophies.  Or even a wide variety of different activities to do.  I haven't and don't plan to do even a quarter of the random modes and activities in GTA Online, frankly I find GTAO really scatterbrained and amateurish in that regard when it comes to cramming a bunch of half baked ideas and maps and missions together.

If I can freeroam as I would in single player with a buddy and generally explore the world, harass NPC's and maybe, as more game modes and story missions get added, just taste some of these things in between extended freeroam sessions... I'd call that a win. :)

3 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

There is a horse unlocking at level 80! In order to level up to this stage you need 100 hours of grinding the last story mission or gun rush.

Do you unlock a specific horse at level 80?  Or the use of any horse?  Because as long as I can use horses (albeit not the best or most expensive) right away, or in a reasonable amount of grinding, I'm okay with that.

Edited by Dreakon13

7 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Thanks for the insight everyone.

To be clear, I don't care about "conquering" RDR Online.  Or unlocking everything.  Or trophies.  Or even a wide variety of different activities to do.  I haven't and don't plan to do even a quarter of the random modes and activities in GTA Online, frankly I find GTAO really scatterbrained and amateurish in that regard when it comes to cramming a bunch of half baked ideas and maps and missions together.

If I can freeroam as I would in single player with a buddy and generally explore the world, harass NPC's and maybe, as more game modes and story missions get added, just taste some of these things in between extended freeroam sessions... I'd call that a win. :)

Yeah I thought so, which is why I specifically answered without talking about how tedious it is to get trophies.. but just the roaming around and whatnot is not very fun (see comment above). ?

9 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Do you unlock a specific horse at level 80?  Or the use of any horse?  Because as long as I can use horses right away, or in a reasonable amount of grinding, I'm okay with that.

You have a horse and two weapons (carabine repeater and some pistol) from the start, and unlock further weapons and horse breeds, as well as pamphlets for tonics and ammo, new clothes etc.. as you level up. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Online is okey.
Just you need to make your own fun. The Free Roam world is (unfortunatly) still pretty empty. And we just have a few PvP modes. But I am also the type of player that just like to roam around, mess with NPC and do some hunting and fishing. So I am enjoying myself. But it is still an empty world  yes.

Edited by NL_Sion
  • Like 2

On 26/4/2019 at 2:43 PM, ImStylinOnYaBro said:

been keeping up watching videos, haven't done anything outside idle grind, but it looks just as crap as before.

Can you tell me how that works? Or maybe a video to see it in action? I'll maybe use it in the future 

On 4/29/2019 at 2:14 PM, hazeblunt said:

Well done. So you're one of those afk players who is running around in circles for the whole match. You don't make it easier for the ones who actually want to play this game legit to level 50.

no, because if you have a constant motion, it kicks you for being idle. at least it did back then.

On 4/29/2019 at 2:40 PM, bani24j said:

Can you tell me how that works? Or maybe a video to see it in action? I'll maybe use it in the future 

if it's the same as  january when i first got into the online, its a roughly 3 minute idle kick timer. just flick the right and left stick every few minute or two.  i also participated (idling) in the recent 1.3 x money and gold and the payouts were massively superior than standard. i would advise only doing it then because you get fuck all with no buff to money or gold (or xp if youre wanting that).

• Like 1

I'm level 73 online now, without any glitches. It became way better in case of griefers and stuff. I didn't became much better in case of content yet. Few modes over the months, most basically the same. Daily Challenges. Few new weapons and clothes. That's basically it. After half a year now. I love the map but I understand everyone who feels disappointed by the online mode to date. It's really not what one would expect from Rockstar. So much potential, so less effort. Could it become a great experience one day? UnfortunateIy I doubt it.

• Like 1

On 10-4-2019 at 10:53 AM, DeepestTempest said:

It would be nice if there was a Survival Mode equivalent to GTA V's but almost endless, to grind exp and money.

Those survival modes in GTAO were awesome! Really enjoyed playing those. ?

TBH I don't care one bit for online and have not played it after getting all the online trophy's.  

• Like 1

My wife gave RDR 2 to me on my birthday last week. I am only a small portion into the single player now and I am sure I will enjoy that part of the game. But I was looking here to see what the online stuff would entail and now expect that this will be yet another Rockstar game that will remain around 50% for me.

I already thought the online in RDR 1 was lackluster at best, but because the XP grind was doable by getting rid of the patch I stuck with it and platted it. But there was so much they could have done with that game and didn't, it was almost frustrating at times to see so much potential go to waste. The map was the same as in the single player, but it felt so damn empty that it pretty much ruined the magic for me that the campaign had carefully built up. So to see you guys say that this is even worse, ungh... Maybe I should just never bother with it.

I also think that the fact that it's set in the past should not be an excuse for the online being devoid of content. There is so much potential to make something awesome in the wild wild west! I feel like it's either lazyness or a severe lack of imagination.

• Like 1

The griefing has gotten way out of hand lately. Just tonight, I spawned in for not even a minute, and I was head shotted. Then I respawned, called my horse, and just as I got on my horse, the same griefer lasso's me, ties me up, and then shoots me. I mean, holy hell, he had a whole posse with him too. I guess griefer posses are a thing now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jackmadrox said:

The griefing has gotten way out of hand lately. Just tonight, I spawned in for not even a minute, and I was head shotted. Then I respawned, called my horse, and just as I got on my horse, the same griefer lasso's me, ties me up, and then shoots me. I mean, holy hell, he had a whole posse with him too. I guess griefer posses are a thing now.

Oh joy. Glad to know the arseholes are more out of control than ever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jackmadrox said:

It also doesn't help that Rockstar sets daily challenges which involve killing other players. I swear there's a new one every day.