Does the Trophy System Need an Overhaul?

Undead Wolf

Does the Trophy System Need an Overhaul?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be changed?

• It's outdated and should be changed (be sure to post if you have a better idea than mine)
    • It's perfect the way it is now

8 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

Trophy system is fine. Only change I would make is to give every game a plat. 

Really this post is just a variation on the weekly EZPZ games suck argument. The trophy system is not devalued by short plats. This site probably skews it, but the top of the leaderboard would not change at all if you removed all the short games, as virtually everyone has them. The only people that would be positively or negatively effected are those that have only short plats - and you aren't getting anywhere near the top of the boards on EZPZs alone.

Furthermore, most games are significantly more rare on PSN than here on this site. My score would be much higher if you went off PSN rarity than PSNP rarity.

There are many ways already to track the trophy values, but will make little change overall to rankings for most individuals.

The problem with easy games is ppl that play the same game 6 to 8 time , to me i just ignore them they are nothing but safe zone gamers. And not everyone has them fyi.

• Like 2

More rare platinums already have more subjective value to myself personally so i wouldn’t mind seeing them have more objective value as well. I don’t think the current system is as messed up as some people in this thread are making it out to be but there’s certainly room for improvement.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Yrva said:

I've always seen trophies as a bit of a flex, which is why I think having hundreds of platinums and thousands of trophies is far less impressive and noteworthy than one person with a handful of commendable platinums. Nobody really cares if you hit your 500th platinum or how high you are on the leaderboards when 95% of your trophies earned are the most brain-dead, easy stuff on the planet. So what I'm thinking is two things: divide trophies into both trophies and points/score (like on XBOX), and have specific game developers prove themselves to become "verified" and earn enough credibility to actually have a trophy list.

Allow these small, insignificant indie games created with the intention of whoring themselves out to trophy hunters to have a scoring system where you can get 500 points, or something. This will appear completely separately from trophies and will serve more as an example of how many games you play, rather than how hard you worked for your trophies. Then, with those verified game companies (take Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, select indie devs, etc), they make incredible games with usually adequate or superb trophy lists that have hours of effort put into creating and balancing them around gameplay. Earning trophies from developers that can prove that they actually give a damn about the trophy community and gamers in general would be much more of a flex than the former.

I get the idea but i feel like a system such as this would be a detriment to a lot of smaller developers that aren’t just trying to pander to people looking for an easy platinum. Games such as Hollow Knight are easily as difficult and time consuming as most AAA games.

2 minutes ago, Happy said:

I get the idea but i feel like a system such as this would be a detriment to a lot of smaller developers that aren’t just trying to pander to people looking for an easy platinum. Games such as Hollow Knight are easily as difficult and time consuming as most AAA games.

Oh yeah my idea is by no means perfect, however I do think it would be a great system if implemented properly without excluding anyone. One can hope!

I wouldn't make rarity worth more because it wouldn't make sense for getting plats on obscure but easy titles being worth more than more common but time consuming games. All plats should be equal and every game needs a plat, I'd really like if DLC wasn't a factor in the % of trophies earned, like maybe if you got all the base trophies and then the DLC it could go over 100%.

• Like 2

I’d go a step further and give every category of trophy (gold, silver, bronze) a point value too based on rarity.

Also, I’d give a zero value or negative point value to everything above 50%.  

Edit: If negative, a relatively small value, so it only really affects anything if that’s the majority of someone's games.

Edit 2: @Undead Wolf Are you talking about hypothetical changes Sony should make that will never happen, or changes to the PSNP site here?

Edited by B1rvine
  • Like 4

Oh yeah for sure. We need a rewards system!! And now that Sony Rewards is about gone. Well give us something better Sony!! And about OPs talking about so many cheesy game with plats and it devalues the value of trophy hunters well..How about PSNP itself create a system to convert the points into something worthy. PSNP decides which games should not be counted and we get a PSNP level by it. I would love to see peoples actual level with stacks removed and all the "easy" games removed. Can we get a feature like that here?

I am fine with it either way, mostly because I don't put too much stock into trophies anyway. But one think I would like to see at some point is that a game can have more then one platinum. Let me explain. Some games come with a multiplayer mode and it always irked me that you need to do the multiplayer trophies for these games to get a platinum, even if the game is a single player game with a "fake" multiplayer part. You know like Tomb Raider, nobody needed that. So imagine these games could have a platinum for the single player mode and one for the other. You would be rewarded to finish each mode equally in my opinion and if you do both, well you get two platinum trophies.

Edited by Durandal
  • Like 1